• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets make a Get Well card for Satoru Iwata!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you did decide to go with the idea of something personal to him, you could try:

Commodore_PET2001.jpg

The Commodore PET was the computer he bought with his graduation money after graduating from the Tokyo Institute of Technology. It's got a lovely, strong, recognisable design that would lend itself well to being filled with dozens of smaller get-well images.

Axass

I dunno about re-using 4chan's idea, we should do something different.

Besides I think that we should also thank him for the great E3 showing Nintendo had. They made me very happy, and I think I'm not the only one.

Also Dr.Mario has to be somewhere.

dr_mario2.jpeg

EDIT: Damn, beaten!

vareon

not to sound negative, but 4chan already did that, both for treehouse and for iwata for him to get well (way before they even knew what he had). i'm not against the idea or anything, but it just seems copying out of jealously that 4chan got acknowledged by the people of nintendo (specially after the nasty thread that we had about it). if we prepare anything, you can count on me on it though

Think of it as sending a get well soon card and nothing else. /v/ might send it too, and so do we. The more cards the merrier!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Is it possible to make our own nintendo direct video for mr iwata? Neo-GAF Direct sending him video get well soon wishes?

lets see if this is feasible.

anyone with good video editing skills willing to take on such a task?

Individual GAFfers could send in short video clips (~30 seconds), while others will contribute original images, gifs, etc.

lets see if this is feasible.

anyone with good video editing skills willing to take on such a task?

Individual GAFfers could send in short video clips (~30 seconds), while others will contribute original images, gifs, etc.

It's doable, but it's a lot more work and effort than a card. While I like the lofty ambition of making a community Direct for Iwata, I think a group card is a much more realistic and achievable goal. Remember, this is about the community doing something positive for someone else, not trying to impress other forums with how original they are.

So is the idea that we're all collaborating on one particular 'Get Well' card, or more just publicly brainstorming ideas for individual cards?

Also kudos for pointing out this isn't meant to be a one-upmanship on /v/, that last thread went places this one certainly shouldn't.

EDIT: Part of me feels like a video would be harder than something physical to get to Iwata, despite being online. With a card someone sent in NoA reps like Bill Trinen can actively make sure it gets sent to him, but with an online video I could just see it getting lost in the sea of other Nintendo fan videos.

not to sound negative, but 4chan already did that, both for treehouse and for iwata for him to get well (way before they even knew what he had). i'm not against the idea or anything, but it just seems copying out of jealously that 4chan got acknowledged by the people of nintendo (specially after the nasty thread that we had about it).
It's not about who came first with the idea. It's a very nice gesture, we all would like to show him how much we appreciate him and his work. The more we are, the better it is.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Hey, just got out the grocery store and I got one question for Iwata, y'know the owner; where's my ten thousand dollars?

Axass

It's doable, but it's a lot more work and effort than a card. While I like the lofty ambition of making a community Direct for Iwata, I think a group card is a much more realistic and achievable goal. Remember, this is about the community doing something positive for someone else, not trying to impress other forums with how original they are.

I agree, we should stick with something more realistic and requiring less time, we don't want to send it to him when he has already fully recovered.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I think this is great idea and I am fully on board with this, sadly I lack any drawing skills so I won't be much of a help.

Either way I hope Iwata get better soon. :)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

So far my favorite approach is trying to make something Iwata could enjoy on a personal level (or as close to it as we can get). I think that should dictate the direction we decide to take.

I'm in Kyoto, for what it's worth.
awesome. your services may be of use to us ;)

So is the idea that we're all collaborating on one particular 'Get Well' card, or more just publicly brainstorming ideas for individual cards?

Also kudos for pointing out this isn't meant to be a one-upmanship on /v/, that last thread went places this one certainly shouldn't.

EDIT: Part of me feels like a video would be harder than something physical to get to Iwata, despite being online. With a card someone sent in NoA reps like Bill Trinen can actively make sure it gets sent to him, but with an online video I could just see it getting lost in the sea of other Nintendo fan videos.

This is also the other issue. With a physical card, we can at least know that it was sent directly to Nintendo of Japan, and passed on to him. A video is just one more video in a sea of Youtube videos, and much much more work for everyone involved.

Lets keep this achievable. A get well card doesn't require users to do anything more than give a get well message, and is far more personal. A video requires everyone involved start filming and editing stuff, with someone overseeing the project in a managerial way. Let's not let GAF be known as the forum which started out wanting to send a card, then got undone trying to make a meta-Nintendo Direct just to stand out more from other forums.

C'mon guys, let's think like developers: set realistic targets, try not to overachieve or promise more than we can deliver. We want this card to be finished like an EAD or HAL game, not left half-completed like something EA would put out. Let's get people contributing messages and pictures, decide on a card format and size, then see if we can't get someone in JapanGAF to print the final product and sent it to Nintendo's office. Please understand that a video would require more time.

I think we should try making a mosaic with all the pics, that forms Iwata doing the "Directly to you" sign.

Anyway, good idea! Will definitely contribute when details are finalised :)

I love this idea.

Anyway, please count me in, no matter what you guys decide.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If you did decide to go with the idea of something personal to him, you could try:

Commodore_PET2001.jpg

The Commodore PET was the computer he bought with his graduation money after graduating from the Tokyo Institute of Technology. It's got a lovely, strong, recognisable design that would lend itself well to being filled with dozens of smaller get-well images.

anyone with good art skills want to try and design something using this as the basis?

either a personal card or a bigger one to frame individual pieces submitted by others.

@CosmonautX: I like where this is going. Got any more personal tidbits about Iwata we could use?

I really like the idea of a video with short clips of users, but 30 seconds per user is way too long and I think it probably takes too much work as well. I also think we should do something different from 4chan.

So how about a video with art/photo's/messages from GAFers, with only a few (5 max?) seconds of 'airtime'.
This shouldn't take too much effort for someone who has experience with editing right?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I really like the idea of a video with short clips of users, but 30 seconds per user is way too long and I think it probably takes too much work as well. I also think we should do something different from 4chan.

So how about a video with art/photo's/messages from GAFers, with only a few (5 max?) seconds of 'airtime'.
This shouldn't take too much effort for someone who has experience with editing right?

I think we should start by submitting pictures in this thread. If enough people decide to join in, we could make a short video slideshow with the various pictures and some appropriate music. But in case that doesn't work out, we'd still have the option to send the pictures as a physical card.

That way we don't aim too high and end up with nothing.

ow man totally read over this

BEST IDEA so far.

Just a max 15/20 sec clip, to Iwata and someone add it all up, last one make Japanese spoken intro.

I would be 200% into this and just upload it to youtube as a get well video.
Fantastic idea

Chaos17

A new thread was summoned while I made this so I figured I'd post it here as well since context :)

xZpJBso.jpg

Good luck with this project fellow gaffers, I must go, my 9 to 5 calls.

I like this one we could put all the posts on the background/walls.

anyone with good art skills want to try and design something using this as the basis?

either a personal card or a bigger one to frame individual pieces submitted by others.

@CosmonautX: I like where this is going. Got any more personal tidbits about Iwata we could use?

You could use the trapezium screen as an instantly recognisable way to frame the card, then have all the messages and pictures contained inside it. That could probably fit on an A3 piece of paper/card, and it's a simple enough design that we're not overstretching ourselves, while at the same time having some kind of relevance to Iwata. I could try and come up with something on GIMP later when I get back from work. My art skills aren't the best, but coming up with a PET border for a card shouldn't be too tricky.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Everyone should take a picture of themselves doing the "Direct" pose Iwata does, then the message underneath reads "We wish you well, Iwata, Directly, to your office."

Everyone who can't take a picture has to say "Please understand."

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You could use the trapezium screen as an instantly recognisable way to frame the card, then have all the messages and pictures contained inside it. That could probably fit on an A3 piece of paper/card, and it's a simple enough design that we're not overstretching ourselves, while at the same time having some kind of relevance to Iwata. I could try and come up with something on GIMP later when I get back from work. My art skills aren't the best, but coming up with a PET border for a card shouldn't be too tricky.
yep, just stretch out the proportions so there's much more room within the screen, while still having the bottom border feature a wider, shorter version of body of the computer so it's recognisable.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I volunteer to bring the card to Iwata.

Going to burn it next to a Mario effigy and proclaim "for sonygaf" then get permed.

Rough idea of what I had in mind, using the silhouette of the PET as a mask. I've borrowed 4chan's card art (sorry, guys - just using it as an example) to show roughly what it might look like. The greeting at the bottom is - Google tells me - the polite form of "get well soon", but if you were going for something like this I'd suggest getting someone like Cheese to check translations so it could be set in kanji.

GetWellIwata.jpg

EDIT:

Using a more front-on silhouette of the screen and base would give more room for images to be contained within, so it may be a better way to go here.

gngf123

Really hope Iwata gets better, thankfully they caught it early.

I'm in on the card idea, although it feels a bit like we are just trying to one-up /v/.

Axass

Really hope Iwata gets better, thankfully they caught it early.

I'm in on the card idea, although it feels a bit like we are just trying to one-up /v/.

Dunno about the others but I really want to just give him and Nintendo something back after all these years, it'd be nice as silly and miniscule as it is. I wanted to make a thread about this after E3 but I held back, thought nobody would care, then I saw the 4chan pic for the Treehouse and felt stupid. It's not about one-upping them, it's honestly about doing something he may find nice.

rough sketch of what I had in mind:

That would be great, just much larger, then we just need to fill up the screen with our cards.

rough sketch of what I had in mind:

I'd be tempted to leave out the keyboard, and just use the monitor as a frame with the letters P E T along the bottom. Less cluttered, more space for messages, and I'm sure he'll still get the idea anyway, given how long he's probably stared at a PET monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom