• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's say if Sony releases a Sixaxis2 with rumble, can current games be updated?

Let's say, they decide to update the controller like when they introduced the Dual Shock in the lat 90s, and this time with rumble, can existing games be firmware patched to have rumble effects added on to the game, or are these things "hard-coded" onto the game?

For example, let's say if Insomniac wants to make the controller rumble when you fire a gun etc...

SleazyC

DarkJediKnight said:
Let's say, they decide to update the controller like when they introduced the Dual Shock in the lat 90s, and this time with rumble, can existing games be firmware patched to have rumble effects added on to the game, or are these things "hard-coded" onto the game?

For example, let's say if Insomniac wants to make the controller rumble when you fire a gun etc...
Probably could happen but it would be very basic. I'd think it would be a pain having to go back through a game and set up rumble every time a specific event occurred (an earthquake for example) versus something that is repeated (gunfire, bomb explosions).

Dante

DarkJediKnight said:

i'M SURE IT WOULDN'T BE TOO DIFFICULT VIA A PATCH.

Edit: sorry bout the caps lock.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
You mean like how all the US released Japanese PS2 games with HDD support were updated once the drive came out in the US, right?

wait hold on

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It should be technically possible to release a patch of a game to add rumble, the problem is that I don't think a whole lot of publishers/developers would bother. It's not a trivial fix.

goldenpp72

I imagine it could, games like pgr3 and such get updated to work with the racing wheel so I really dont see the problem.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Carlile said:
I don't get it.
Not that historical precedence really means a single shit in videogames, but basically once a console game is released that's the end of the story.

There were a few games on PS2 in Japan that had support for the HDD. When they were brought over to the US before the HDD came out in the US, said support was cut.

Once the HDD came out in the US, there could have been updates or reissues for those games to use the HDD, right? It never happened, though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
While coding support for rumble is fairly straight forward, the logistics involved in creating and testing any patch are significant.

Because of this it would be unlikely that any publisher would patch in rumble support in isolation, but its possible it could happen off the back of a patch which was addressing or adding more critical items such as online fixes.

xsarien

daedsiluap
dog$ said:
Not that historical precedence really means a single shit in videogames, but basically once a console game is released that's the end of the story.

There were a few games on PS2 in Japan that had support for the HDD. When they were brought over to the US before the HDD came out in the US, said support was cut.

Once the HDD came out in the US, there could have been updates or reissues for those games to use the HDD, right? It never happened, though.

Not really, because those updates would've had to come on discs as the game wouldn't know how to access the HDD without the patch, nor could it access the patch online without pre-existing network code.

That's right:
Patch-22.

dog$ said:

Different times. You couldn't just patch a game, they'd have to press and ship a different version for retail and users would have to buy another copy of the game, not worth it for something a small minority of users bought.

Possible? Yes. If Sony themselves is somehow able to patch each game. But, I doubt that most publishers/studios (even most of sony's teams) will want to go back and devote production time to 6-12 month old games by that point. So, likely? No.

Wollan

At least those who matter. MotorStorm and Resistance, both the biggest 1st party games for the first 6 months with online components would undoubtly receive such an update I think. I don't expect a rumble gamepad before GT5 comes around though.

theBishop

Banned
Tempy said:
It should be technically possible to release a patch of a game to add rumble, the problem is that I don't think a whole lot of publishers/developers would bother. It's not a trivial fix.

/thread

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I doubt many developers would issue a patch, but it would be just like how PS1 owners that got the console at launch transitioned to Dual Shock when GT1 came out. GT5 would be the perfect time for a 'next gen' rumble tech introduction on the PS3.

To answer your question: You can't have a generic firmware update that will add rumble to all games. It needs to be coded individually for each game, on a case-by-case basis. So basically each game would have to receive an individual patch to add rumble. That's fairly easy and possible.

However with the time and money spent on such a patch along with having to send your game through QA and Cert again, means that most companies won't do it. The cost would outweight the benefits.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Some games could, some games couldn't. If I were making a PS3 game I would included generic anchors for rumble that could be updated with a patch should the political situation change.

Top Bottom