• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's start another Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubsfan23

Banned
I am 6"2" 165 pounds and want to get to at least 180, mostly muscle. It would be cool if people posted the best websites and some guidelines on what to eat throughout the day. :)

DJ Sl4m

Cubsfan23 said:
I am 6"2" 165 pounds and want to get to at least 180, mostly muscle. It would be cool if people posted the best websites and some guidelines on what to eat throughout the day. :)

Try eating peanut butter & J sandwiches throughout the day for starters ( lots of peanut butter is recomended). They are packed with calories, the good cholesterol, and protien.

I'll touch more on a wieght gain diet a lil later, I'm in the process of getting ready to watch the LSU/MSU game shortly.

& Mr Gump, your pictures aren't showing up.

effzee

Mr Gump said:
What is the best way to go about building the muscle over the rib cage (below pecs) and on your sides?
You should be able to get the oblique muscles you speak of if your lifting heavy because those muscles are used to stabilize your body. However, if your not lifting that heavy, you can try some twist crunches.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention, using a swissball is also a great way to workout ur obliques and basically your whole core body. Not only that, using the swissball to do things like leg raises and crunchs will help your body better stabilization for workouts just as bench pressing, allowing you to lift more weight with better control.
I am 6"2" 165 pounds and want to get to at least 180, mostly muscle. It would be cool if people posted the best websites and some guidelines on what to eat throughout the day.

I have a really good website that I recently discovered. http://www.ast-ss.com/ You do have to sign up but its free and the information in there is, as far as I've tested it and my friends, completly accurate. I've seen gains in my muscle mass in weeks that usually took me months. They have a complete list of workouts and nutritional plans.

For a simple explanation of things to do if you are trying to gain weight. Eat sure that you eat protein in the morning, its very important that you get the protein in the morning. Also before and after working out, you should have atleast 30 grams of protein from your meals. Another thing is to eat every 4-5 hours. Not too large of a meal but just enough so you get ur protein and carbs. On the weight lifting side, you should try to lift as heavy as possible with low reps ranging from 4-6 reps. I would say more but its better you read it from the website than me.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Cubsfan23 said:

Use Max-OT, as the guy above me said. And to build any kind of muscle you must eat at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

effzee

deadlifter said:
Use Max-OT, as the guy above me said. And to build any kind of muscle you must eat at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.
Just curious, have you tried out Max OT? If so, what were the results?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
effzee said:
Just curious, have you tried out Max OT? If so, what were the results?

I'm doing Max-OT right now and i've been using it for about 6 months. I was mostly a beginner to lifting when i started, but i've seen some good gains. 20 pounds on my bench, 70 pounds on my squat, and pretty much all of my lifts have went up.

It is a very intense program, though, so you must take caution because of the heavy weight (4-6 reps). I'm sure you'll see gains with almost anything you try if you are a beginner, but the key to gains is a good protein intake like i said in my first post (1g per 1lb of bodyweight is the bare minimum).

effzee

Yeah I have seen similar gains with the Max OT program. I've gained in total about 22 pounds of muscle mass in just under 2 months. Its really an incredible program.

way more

I need to start hitting the gym, yell insults at me until I do.

Edit: Is one gram per pound of body weight necessary, or will one per half pound work? I've never really worked out simply to gain weight but 1 gram per lbs seems like it would be expensive.

Mr Gump

Banned
mac said:
I need to start hitting the gym, yell insults at me until I do.

Edit: Is one gram per pound of body weight necessary, or will one per half pound work? I've never really out simply to gain weight but 1 gram per lbs seems like it would be expensive.
Wait...what you said would be even more expensive :p

You mean half per pound. And I also want to know the answer to this question :p

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
So, I'm 6'3" 150 lbs. I really don't want to gain weight. I fear that if I gain weight, I'm just going to end up losing any muscle and have it all be fat. I'm skinny, but not enough to look like an extreme bean pole. I refuse to do any weightlifting and my work outs involve walking to and from class, flag football, and racquetball. I really need to get sex back into my weekly routine, damn ex-girlfriend...

effzee

I think the basic conflicting reports are centered around isolation training workouts and compound training workouts. For most of my workout experience, I've been doing mainly isolation workouts and they have gotten me very good results in the past. When I came across Max-OT, I figured I'd give it a try and just as they had promised, their workout got me results but much faster.

What I'm basically trying to say is that there are many ways of getting good results and that is why their are so many conflicting reports and different workouts out there. What you have to really look for is what workout will give the fastest, most efficient muscle growth. Of all the workouts I've followed, Max OT has workout the best. I think people should try differents type of workouts, because that way they can actually see different results and understand what works and what doesn't work.

XS+

Banned
What kind of mass-building diet do you recommend for a guy whose stomach doesn't agree with bodybuilding supplements (creatine, powder shakes etc.)?

I'm about 5'5''-5'6''

I'm about 115-125.

My workouts consist of swimming every chance I get and running around my neighborhood early in the morning before school starts.

I can also do 80 pushups.

way more

Swimming was my favorite excercise because of the upper body work and the endurance required. I need to start again once I build up my deltiods and back.

I swim because it's fun, it's a good workout, and I like the feeling of water on my skin.

Being in water is one of the most relaxing things to me.

Makura

Cubsfan23 said:

First you need to find out your BMR to find out how may calories you need to consume everyday to reach your goal weight.

If your goal if to gain lean mass, you'll need to get about 20% of you calories from fat (good fats) 40% from protein and 40% from carbs - but it vaires from person to person.

Then find a workout routine for you like for developing mass. There is lots of advice at BodyBuilding.com

When it comes to gaining lean mass, the exercise is the easy part - it's the diet that decides how much success you have.

You'll need a good Whey protein supplement, again go to BodyBuilding.com - it's the best prices on the internet I've found.

Makura

Camillemurs said:
I swim because it's fun, it's a good workout, and I like the feeling of water on my skin.

Being in water is one of the most relaxing things to me.

Are you a pisces?

effzee

Cyan said:
Here's another question: I have a set of free weights at home-- barbell, two dumbells, and weights for them. Should I be able to do all the lifting I need to with just this equipment, or should I be joining a gym anyway. My brother, who plays varsity water polo in high school, lifts using just these, and he seems to be doing fine. Of course, he also gets worked pretty hard every day at practice.
I think almost all excerises can be performed with what you have. Just glancing over my own workout, the only excerises I wouldn't be able to do with your equipment would be lat-pull downs and some ab workouts like incline bench crunches. Also, if you just get a flat bench, which are pretty cheap, you can do tons of excerises like bench press, pull overs, etc...all at home.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I can never motivate myself to work out, all the times I've been on the treadmill havent made any difference in my weight.

effzee

Oh and those looking for supplements, there is a great deal on Ebay for Whey protein. Its 48 dollars for a 10 pound bag.

Mr Gump

Banned
Eric-GCA said:
I can never motivate myself to work out, all the times I've been on the treadmill havent made any difference in my weight.
You wont notice any difference until you go constantly for a decent period (a couple of weeks), all while eating right.

effzee

Also if your trying to lose weight on a treadmill, just remember u have to constanly keep increasing the difficulty everytime you run on it. Another thing to try and do is to do it for not to long, 20 minutes max but at higher speeds (not jogging)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
For people asking if you can go lower than 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight, i would say that you could if you were a beginner, but after one month or so it will be very hard to build muscle. When i was at home for the summer i didn't eat nearly as much as i did when at college and i had little to no gains in my lifts.

I get all of my protein from food, no supplements. Some good protein sources are all meats (i like chicken the best because its lean), beans, and eggs. You can find protein in nuts also, but that could get expensive and it might not be a sufficient source.

For everyone that's buying whey protein i would recommend that you research the product you are buying. Go to the forum at bodybuilding.com and check if there is a good following for the product before purchasing it. There are a shitload of whey proteins out there and most of them are not good, so make sure you are buying a recommended protein supplement.

Mr Gump

Banned
Ok, i was looking through the Max-OT program and have no idea what half the exercises they list are. Anywhere i can go that describes how to do these?

DJ Sl4m

For anyone trying to gain muscle I don't recomend consuming less than 1.5 grams of protien per lb bodyweight.

If you're a hard gainer in trying to gain weight, try Alpha Lipoic Acid 10-15 minutes before breakfast, when finished working out and supper at night. It's an insulin mimcker which helps your body fully digest and utilise more of it properly.

It's cheap and very effective.

way more

DJ Sl4m said:
For anyone trying to gain muscle I don't recomend consuming less than 1.5 grams of protien per lb bodyweight.

If you're a hard gainer in trying to gain weight, try Alpha Lipoic Acid 10-15 minutes before breakfast, when finished working out and supper at night. It's an insulin mimcker which helps your body fully digest and utilise more of it properly.

It's cheap and very effective.

Really? More then 1 gram per lb? That is going to be expensive, the cheap protien gives me horrible gas. Do they make a protien powder for the lactose-intolerant.

DJ Sl4m

There are many lactose free whey protiens, in fact I have to digest them, I also make sure it's aspertame free as well.

If the label doesn't say it's lactose free, it's probably not.

BTW: I consume 2 grams per lb daily, some from whole food, but most from drinks.

effzee

Just a general question, for those who do deadlifts, do you guys preffer the stiff-leg deadlifts over the normal deadlifts?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
effzee said:
Just a general question, for those who do deadlifts, do you guys preffer the stiff-leg deadlifts over the normal deadlifts?

Well they are different excercises. The stiff leg isolates the hamstrings more than the regular deadlift. I prefer the stiff leg because i have never really focused on the regular deadlift (yeah ironic, i know). Regular deadlifts require good form to be performed properly, since rounding your back could severly injure you if you're lifting a good amount of weight.

While doing either of these lifts make sure your back is straight (even slightly arched) and keep your head up. Keep the bar very close to your body, especially while lifting the weight off of the ground. Use an alternate grip, one hand towards you, one hand facing out, for regular deadlifts. Both hands face you when doing stiff leg. NEVER ROUND YOUR BACK. Stiff leg deadlifts can be performed on a box or something else to give you more stretch in your hamstrings.

When doing regular deadlifts make sure you have proper form and watch the weight go up. :)

effzee

deadlifter said:
Well they are different excercises. The stiff leg isolates the hamstrings more than the regular deadlift. I prefer the stiff leg because i have never really focused on the regular deadlift (yeah ironic, i know). Regular deadlifts require good form to be performed properly, since rounding your back could severly injure you if you're lifting a good amount of weight.

While doing either of these lifts make sure your back is straight (even slightly arched) and keep your head up. Keep the bar very close to your body, especially while lifting the weight off of the ground. Use an alternate grip, one hand towards you, one hand facing out, for regular deadlifts. Both hands face you when doing stiff leg. NEVER ROUND YOUR BACK. Stiff leg deadlifts can be performed on a box or something else to give you more stretch in your hamstrings.

When doing regular deadlifts make sure you have proper form and watch the weight go up. :)
Yeah i just recently switched from Stiff Legs deadlift to reg. deadlifts because I feel I can handle more weight with the reg. deadlifts and stimulate alot more muscles at once. Plus it fits in perfectly with my leg workout.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Cubsfan23 said:

Best way to build muscle (naturally)

Squats, Deadlifts, Chins and Dips (weighted).

Do about 6 to 8 sets of 3 to 5 reps of a weight that is about your 6 rep max.

Repeat every other day.

Do cardio on off days, but don't go for too long or too hard. Maybe an easy 30 minute jog or some light swimming.

Eat a lot. Don't count calories, just get enough protein and fat and load up on carbs

Avoid caffeine, smoking, alcohol, and get 9-10 hours of sleep a night.

Get plenty of sex and massages.

Makes you big and strong.

Make sure you do full reps: none of this sissy half squat nonsense. You squat ass to ankles. And dips are full way down, not to 90 degree elbows (get your maximal stretch). Chins are FULL chins, with elbows fully extended on the bottom, and the chest touching the bar on the top. Deadlifts are either classic deads, classic deads with double over hand grip, sumo deads, or Stiff leg deads...all up to you, I found classic deads build the most pure muscle, but SLDLs end up improving overall athleticism because of the extra hamstring recruitment. Your milage may vary.

DJ Sl4m

Fatghost28 said:
Best way to build muscle (naturally)

Squats, Deadlifts, Chins and Dips (weighted).

Do about 6 to 8 sets of 3 to 5 reps of a weight that is about your 6 rep max.

Repeat every other day.

Do cardio on off days, but don't go for too long or too hard. Maybe an easy 30 minute jog or some light swimming.

Eat a lot. Don't count calories, just get enough protein and fat and load up on carbs

Avoid caffeine, smoking, alcohol, and get 9-10 hours of sleep a night.

Get plenty of sex and massages.

Makes you big and strong.

Make sure you do full reps: none of this sissy half squat nonsense. You squat ass to ankles. And dips are full way down, not to 90 degree elbows (get your maximal stretch). Chins are FULL chins, with elbows fully extended on the bottom, and the chest touching the bar on the top. Deadlifts are either classic deads, classic deads with double over hand grip, sumo deads, or Stiff leg deads...all up to you, I found classic deads build the most pure muscle, but SLDLs end up improving overall athleticism because of the extra hamstring recruitment. Your milage may vary.

haha, Wrong, not even close really.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Don't fuck with any supplements like weight gainer, stick to creatine and protein and you're set. I've only taken creatine during my weightlifting career and i have the body of a Greek god......

Ristamar

alejob said:
So are their any good protein shakes?

Myoplex (42g per packet, though I don't believe it's 100% whey). It actually tastes pretty good. Designer Whey is kinda meh, but passable. Unfortunately, most protein shakes/mixes are pretty damn awful.

DJ Sl4m

Fatghost28 said:
You read too many muscle comic books.

Comic book eh ? Ok, I can't believe you're trying to give advice on working out when you clearly have no idea how it works yet, the advice you gave sounds like something I once heard from my 8th grade PE coach.

Working out every muscle every other day is total nonsence if your goal is to gain muscle.
By working out every muscle every other day, the ONLY results you'll see anytime soon is either you'll get sick as hell, njure yourself (esp shoulders) or tear down muscle and become smaller than when you started out.

Unless you have the muscle recover ability of a greek god ( and nobody does, not even pros on super high stacks of roids/growth hormones and insulin would be insane enough to do what you suggested, the body simply can not rebuild muscle fast enough to keep up with being tore down every other day.

90 degree dips, 90 degreebench presses, and 90 degree squats will net you more muscle gain with less chance of injury in the shortest amount of time = FACT.
By going past the 90 degree point you stop working out the targeted muscle and simply stretch it a bit, while working the tendons and ligaments.
Now I don't know about you, but seeing as how tendons and ligaments don't heal or gain strength anywhere near the pace of muscle, I'm not about to hold my muscle gains back from the pace of my tendon and ligament gains.

And if you are one of these hardheaded types who still think only going past the 90 degree point with full onset lifts in these evxcersises is the way to go I have a challenge to blow your theory away:
Next time you want to bench press, only go from the 90 degree point to the end (what you consider the end of a full rep, do this as many times as you can and You'll see your chest is not worked out a bit and the only thing you're doing is putting uneeded wear and tear on your tendons and ligaments in your shoulders and elbow. (your chest won't even get sore with this)
If you want to stretch during chest excersises stick to flys, otherwise stop trying to stretch when you should be lifting weight targeting the belly of your target muscle group.

Post a pic of yourself so we can see if you practice what you preach.
I'll do the same if you want me to prove I can back up what I say with results.

BobbyRobby said:
What's a really intense ab workout? I get bored doing high reps.

Hanging leg raises are my fav, but most people do these wrong.
Don't swing, do the lift very controled, hold it at the top of the rep and exhale all the air from your lungs.

Exhaling all the air out on ab excersise is how you sqeeze the muscle to get the best pump.
The only way you can get high reps on almost all ab excersises is by cheating honestly, the best advice I can give is to slow it down a bit, squeeze, and make sure you don't cheat.

Trust me, your abs will be burning by the end of a few short sets if done correctly.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
DJ Sl4m said:
Working out every muscle every other day is total nonsence if your goal is to gain muscle.
By working out every muscle every other day, the ONLY results you'll see anytime soon is either you'll get sick as hell, njure yourself (esp shoulders) or tear down muscle and become smaller than when you started out.

Nonsense. If the human body couldn't tolerate exercise frequently, we'd all be dead. Ever see monkeys? Or chimps, our closest related species. They're doing dips and chins ALL DAY LONG EVERY DAY.

And a grown chimp could rip your arms off.

Tell you what: you post your scientific proof of your claim and I'll post scientific proof of mine.

Unless you have the muscle recover ability of a greek god ( and nobody does, not even pros on super high stacks of roids/growth hormones and insulin would be insane enough to do what you suggested, the body simply can not rebuild muscle fast enough to keep up with being tore down every other day.

Nonsense.

Why don't you go tell that to Steve Reeves or Eugen Sandow or Arthur Saxon or any other great strong man or bodybuilder who did full body workouts very frequently. Or why not tell that to the guys behind HST http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html.

Or better yet, explain how Westside protocols produce champion after champion. After all, Westside trains the same muscle groups 2-4 times per week, exercises close to daily, and yet consistently produces top strength athletes.

90 degree dips, 90 degreebench presses, and 90 degree squats will net you more muscle gain with less chance of injury in the shortest amount of time = FACT.
By going past the 90 degree point you stop working out the targeted muscle and simply stretch it a bit, while working the tendons and ligaments.
Now I don't know about you, but seeing as how tendons and ligaments don't heal or gain strength anywhere near the pace of muscle, I'm not about to hold my muscle gains back from the pace of my tendon and ligament gains.

NONSENSE.

Maybe you're just really fragile and out of shape if you are afraid of injury if you do a complete range of motion.

And if you are really serious about wanting muscle growth to outpace ligament and tendon strength, then you're just being retarded.

And if you are one of these hardheaded types who still think only going past the 90 degree point with full onset lifts in these evxcersises is the way to go I have a challenge to blow your theory away:
Next time you want to bench press, only go from the 90 degree point to the end (what you consider the end of a full rep, do this as many times as you can and You'll see your chest is not worked out a bit and the only thing you're doing is putting uneeded wear and tear on your tendons and ligaments in your shoulders and elbow. (your chest won't even get sore with this)

You obviously don't bench press properly. Your form would be disqualified in an actual bench press meet.

If you want to stretch during chest excersises stick to flys, otherwise stop trying to stretch when you should be lifting weight targeting the belly of your target muscle group.

Post a pic of yourself so we can see if you practice what you preach.
I'll do the same if you want me to prove I can back up what I say with results.

Flys are a waste of time.

Hanging leg raises are my fav, but most people do these wrong.
Don't swing, do the lift very controled, hold it at the top of the rep and exhale all the air from your lungs.

Waste of time.

Exhaling all the air out on ab excersise is how you sqeeze the muscle to get the best pump.
The only way you can get high reps on almost all ab excersises is by cheating honestly, the best advice I can give is to slow it down a bit, squeeze, and make sure you don't cheat.

Trust me, your abs will be burning by the end of a few short sets if done correctly.

Ab work like this is a waste of time. You'd be better off doing stuff like Saxon presses if you really needed more ab work, but the BEST ab work out is actually the Clean and Press. But you probably don't even know what a clean and press is ;)

Here's some questions kid:

Exactly where did you learn your human biology? Are you familiar with the fact that our species lived for millions of years without the ability to sit on our ass for days at a time and still be able to eat? Or to be protected from physical threats?

Knowing this, please explain to me how the human body could evolve to the point where hardly moving (such as moving with only incomplete motions, and working a muscle out very infrequently) would produce superior results?

Are you aware that the current popular (and wrong) body building methodology was invented only about 20-30 years ago, and was not how the vast majority of superior strongmen, athletes, and weight lifters trained?

Are you aware that today, champion weight lifters and power lifters still workout with full range of motion and very frequently?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
BobbyRobby said:
What's a really intense ab workout? I get bored doing high reps.

Don't do high reps. Do low reps, high weight.

Best ab builders are overhead squats, side deadlifts, clean and presses, snatches, and saxon bends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom