• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about downports

Rlan

Sega Saturn Quake

39411-quake-sega-saturn-screenshot-the-saturn-version-has-very-nice.jpg

quake_saturn.jpg

http://www.curmudgeongamer.com/search?q=quake

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yeah, we had/played this. We all knew PC Quake was way better, but it's not easy for kids to get a LAN going and very few of us had good PCs or even Internet. 4 player PS Quake 2 wasn't so bad.

I never tried 4-player Q2 on PS1, but I did have loads of fun with splitscreen 2-player. All in all it was a surprisingly good port. I do wonder why they never ported Q1 to PS1 though, considering the PS1 was better at handling 3D than the Saturn was.

I'm at work, but man, where the hell is Castle of Illusion for the Master System :(

Already mentioned ;) And both I and the other guy who mentioned it agreed that the MS version is the best version.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My parents got me this for $50.00 from Crazy Eddie on King Highway Brooklyn in 1982. (They are the best parents.) That's 106 dollars in today's money for that piece of shit.
Odyssey 2 did a better game around the same time that was a Pac-Man rip off. But it was better than Pac-Man!

yhal3.jpg

PB7lR.gif

JN6YY.gif

The GBA is fucking awesome... it boggles my mind how Nintendo completely... switched gears...

Hahahaha..... what? Nintendo didn't switch gears, the GBA was a very cheap machine... During the same time frame, there were ARM variants pushing 600mhz (I know, I had a dell axim at the time that was 400mhz and I could OC it to 630 and it was considered low end). The GBA was pushing a full 16mhz. The same axim (I think) had 64MB of RAM (maybe 32), where as the GBA had 256KB. There was definitely a reason there weren't many 3D games.

Instead of trying to attack Nintendo on "switching gears" when they didn't, you should instead be massively praising those developers that were able to achieve so much IN SPITE of the limitations.

Anth0ny

Good shit OP, THPS2 for GBA was surprisingly awesome. I thought it looked awful in the screenshots, then I played it. Too good.

People mentioned GB/C versus NES earlier....

The z80 processor in the GB was probably on par or maybe even a little better than the NES 6502 in pure processing power (remembering the GB came out some 6 years after the original Famicom came out), and about 4x as much memory as the NES and allowed for MUCH larger carts (up to 8mb). The NES had quite a few games that had additional memory and hardware built into the cart (known as mappers). It was these mappers on certain games that outpaced the gameboy in many instances.

The original GB was also aided/hindered by the fact that it was limited to 2-bit color (4 shades of grey) which very much simplified it's graphics versus the 6-bit color (64 shades of color) the NES could handle.

The GBC easily mopped the floor with 15-bit color (approximately 32,000 colors, same as the SNES) but was limited to how many it could show at once (either 16 in compatibility mode or 96 in "color" mode). That was the only thing it did very well though, since the z80 processor (while double clocked to 8mhz) at that point was quite ancient, and the rest of the GB innards were also showing their age (sound channels, lack of layer support in hardware, etc). Couple that with it still be limited to the GB's miniscule resolution (160x144 I believe...) it makes it seem at times like the GBC was barely on par with the regular NES...

Rlan

People mentioned GB/C versus NES earlier....

The z80 processor in the GB was probably on par or maybe even a little better than the NES 6502 in pure processing power (remembering the GB came out some 6 years after the original Famicom came out), and about 4x as much memory as the NES and allowed for MUCH larger carts (up to 8mb). The NES had quite a few games that had additional memory and hardware built into the cart (known as mappers). It was these mappers on certain games that outpaced the gameboy in many instances.

The original GB was also aided/hindered by the fact that it was limited to 2-bit color (4 shades of grey) which very much simplified it's graphics versus the 6-bit color (64 shades of color) the NES could handle.

The GBC easily mopped the floor with 15-bit color (approximately 32,000 colors, same as the SNES) but was limited to how many it could show at once (either 16 in compatibility mode or 96 in "color" mode). That was the only thing it did very well though, since the z80 processor (while double clocked to 8mhz) at that point was quite ancient, and the rest of the GB innards were also showing their age (sound channels, lack of layer support in hardware, etc). Couple that with it still be limited to the GB's miniscule resolution (160x144 I believe...) it makes it seem at times like the GBC was barely on par with the regular NES...

It's more that developers forgot how to make GB games look nice. Most games were trying to replicate the complex look of 32-bit games on an 8-bit machine, making them look super blocky. GBC games bever seem to have the black outline goodness of GB and NES games.

It's more that developers forgot how to make GB games look nice. Most games were trying to replicate the complex look of 32-bit games on an 8-bit machine, making them look super blocky. GBC games bever seem to have the black outline goodness of GB and NES games.

That's because in GB games you only had 4 colors ;) the outline usually had to be black.

In GBC games since the resolution is so ridiculously low the choice of adding a black outline or having sprites in color meant you either had to make larger sprites (exceeded 8x8) which were more difficult to manage with it's still very limited amount of ram and processing power AND having to give up very essential and limited screen space OR simply replacing those outlines with simple color ;)

It wasn't about developers choosing the styles they did, it was more or less forced on them because of the systems limitations.

DonMigs85

Hahahaha..... what? Nintendo didn't switch gears, the GBA was a very cheap machine... During the same time frame, there were ARM variants pushing 600mhz (I know, I had a dell axim at the time that was 400mhz and I could OC it to 630 and it was considered low end). The GBA was pushing a full 16mhz. The same axim (I think) had 64MB of RAM (maybe 32), where as the GBA had 256KB. There was definitely a reason there weren't many 3D games.

Instead of trying to attack Nintendo on "switching gears" when they didn't, you should instead be massively praising those developers that were able to achieve so much IN SPITE of the limitations.

The first Axim in 2002 had a 300MHz Intel XScale (based on ARM5) and 32MB RAM.
Fairly powerful for the time but of course much more expensive than GBA.

Also, I'd heard stories that the 66MHz ARM9 in the DS couldn't really be used to its full potential due to some bug/design oversight and many games relied heavily on the 33MHz ARM7.

That's because in GB games you only had 4 colors ;) the outline usually had to be black.

In GBC games since the resolution is so ridiculously low the choice of adding a black outline or having sprites in color meant you either had to make larger sprites (exceeded 8x8) which were more difficult to manage with it's still very limited amount of ram and processing power AND having to give up very essential and limited screen space OR simply replacing those outlines with simple color ;)

The GBC still had that four colour limitation. Transparent sprites are limited to three colours total and one colour for transparency. Solid background tiles could only have four colours total per tile. Even though it could display 96 colours or whatever, it was still limited in the same way as the original GB. But the color limitations of the original GameBoy were much less noticeable because it was all in greyscale.

There were very few examples where game sprites would go over the three colour limitation in GBC games, Shantea was one of them. Her sprite was made out of six colours, but to achieve this they had to construct her out of three sprites total (head, hair and torso).

Lol at Leon's walking animation. Haters gonna hate.

Yeah his walking animation was pretty ridiculous, but the demo still showed a lot of promise :p

And that Max Payne port was pretty damn awesome for the GBA. I was blown away with how much recorded voice dialogue they managed to cram into it (even though it was a little muffled). They managed to retain almost every graphic novel cut scene from the PC game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ZgpOvky6c

JNT

A fan demake of Fallout by Jeb (yep, that Jeb):
screen.jpg

inventory1.jpg

It's only a demo (named Fillauth for copyright reasons). Can be found here.

Also:

44309-Space_Channel_5_-_Ulala's_Cosmic_Attack_(U)(Mode7)-1.png

Ulalas Cosmic Attack on Game Boy Advance. As a huge sucker for the dreamcast games, I needed to play this. It has no voice acting (besides the commands while dancing, of course) and the soundtrack are pretty bad mini versions of the original tracks.

It works all in all and is an interesting recreation of the original game, but they could have done more, to make it quite a bit better.

Sadist

Loved the GBA version of THPS 2.

Capcom is pretty good in porting over their console content towards handheld devices; every Street Fighter for Nintendo portables are great. Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is a great portdown. Even Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D looks and plays great.

Also, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
PC to N64 to GBC
POxny.png

The N64 version actually looked better than the PC one.

Well, depending on when in the N64 lifecycle it was released, the N64 might be a far more powerful machine than any PC of the time.

isn't this an up-port?

It's not, the graphical quality is noticeably worse (the DS is generally not as powerful as an N64, it's just that a longer lifecycle and being much later in the timeline makes for far better use of what it has). Still, for me it's not a very good port, as nothing can make up for the loss of an analog stick, not even emulating it with the touchscreen.

My picks would have to go the GBA SFA3 and Tekken 3. The later seemed like it shouldn't exist, considering they had to sprite-animate (or perhaps digitize) the encyclopaedic moveset of a 3D fighter, then cram all those sprites in a few megabyte cart (not to speak load them into memory for the fights themselves). It felt like an amazing accomplishment. Indeed, the GBA was truly tapped to its full potential; I don't think many developers do that anymore with more recent hardware.

Speaking of portable fighters, I think this is by far the one I've sunk the most hours into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR-RbPWazto
I'm very partial to it, frankly. Everything felt perfect and the style was simply awesome.
BTW, holy crap if finding a video of this game that wasn't choppy as all hell wasn't like a RPG quest. Not perfect by any shot but not a goddamn slideshow like most videos, I wonder if the emulator is simply that bad?

gerudoman

I can't believe the Donkey Kong Land trilogy hasn't been mencioned yet, even if the first one is just a game inspired in DKC.

neo2046

Fighting Vipers - Sega Saturn

all the Model 2 to SS downport were also so awesome
Daytona USA
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Last Bronx
Sega Rally Championship
Fighting Vipers
House of the Dead
Virtual On
Dynamite Cop
etc.

I miss that time's Sega so much

Tambini

Rayman Advance was, I believe, a launch title for the GBA and it was a good port of the first Rayman game. The only problems were some missing sounds and a few levels and the aspect ratio made it hard to see.

The Rayman games on GBC were also excellent.
Rayman_GBC_ScreenShot4.gif

Rayman Advance was, I believe, a launch title for the GBA and it was a good port of the first Rayman game. The only problems were some missing sounds and a few levels and the aspect ratio made it hard to see.

The Rayman games on GBC were also excellent.
Rayman_GBC_ScreenShot4.gif

i felt that rayman advance, while looking great, was unplayable. rayman was always difficult and with the huge rayman sprite, there was so little screen estate left, that it got frustrating pretty quickly to time jumps and attacks without dieing

Goli

Do spin-offs count? If so, the Sims games are great. Well, I didn't really like The Sims 2, but both The Sims: Bustin' Out and The Urbz: Sims in the City were excellent.

An RPG game set in the world of The Sims, with quests and skill points (which work just like in the original games) and sidejobs (which are minigames)? What's not to like?
TS: Bustin' Out gameplay video

It's weird, I played all three Sims GBA games and loved them but I never really thought of them as RPGs, yet now that you say it I realize it. They're RPGs without battles!

Also Street Fighter Alpha 3 GBA holy god.This blew my goddamn mind.

StreetFighterCompare--article_image.jpg
Amusing because that "arcade" picture is from the PSP version. I suppose that's a testament to the PSP version being so goddamned good, though.

While the GBA version has an exclusive character or two, versus the earlier releases, the best pre-PSP version surely has to be the Dreamcast release. Well, except for those people who insist that the Saturn version is better... :) (The GBA version may be better than the PS1 version, but versus DC or Saturn (yes, it is a 4MB RAM cart game)? I don't think so.)
The DC versions has a bunch of really weird glitches and was back ported to the Naomi arcade hardware as SFZ3 Upper, but for a port of the "original" SFZ3 the Saturn (and I suppose PS2 Anthology port) is the best one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My parents got me this for $50.00 from Crazy Eddie on King Highway Brooklyn in 1982. (They are the best parents.) That's 106 dollars in today's money for that piece of shit.

lol, Crazy Eddie was the fucking SHIT back in the day!

what about Toshinden for the GB? I heard it turned out quite well

battle_arena_toshinden_11_box_front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8pxUyuwrW4

The Japanese version of this is one of the first ROMs I've ever d/led, way back when... and still the only Toushinden game I've ever played. I hear it's the best one of the series though!

At least they got the proper background color.
One odd thing about the Odyssey is the colors... that is, on my SD CRT TV, KC Munchkin appears with a blue field. On my HDTV though (RP-CRT), Odyssey colors are all off, and the field appears purple. Now the HDTV has a few issues, but still, I don't have any other system where the colors change so dramatically between screens... kind of odd. Oh well. I think the field is actually supposed to be blue, that's how it looks on the cover and the screenshots on the box/manual.

what about Toshinden for the GB? I heard it turned out quite well

battle_arena_toshinden_11_box_front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8pxUyuwrW4
GB Toshinden is surprisingly fun, but it's not a downport, it's a completely different game based on the same franchise. I mean, it's a side-view, 2d fighter. It is my favorite Toshinden game, though... sure, it's way too easy, but otherwise it's pretty good. In comparison, the 3d Toshinden games all have aged badly...

Het_Nkik

First thing that comes to mind is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade/TMNT2 NES.

The NES game plays so much better and even has a couple additional levels.

Top Bottom