• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Fatal Frame

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yesterday I was watching a Fatal frame gameplay.

I always liked the saga, rent Fatal frame 1, because the phrase "Based on a true story" caught my attention.

I never got to finish any game of Fatal frame due to lack of time.

However, in the Xbox version I loved Fatal frame 2 Crimson buttlerfly and the protagonist I loved her design a lot.

I like the saga, but I also can't find the reason why the phrase "Based on a true story" is true or is it just advertising?

I only got to Play Fatal frame 1, 2... and lately bought Fatal frame 4 and 5 for Nintendo Switch.

I really like that cinematographic approach to a Japanese horror movie, both in their expressions and in the camera angles, it's like watching a movie or the closest thing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've heard Fatal Frame 2 is the best thing ever, but it's only on PS2. So fuck my mouth if I want to play it.

There's also an OG Xbox version and a remake/remaster on Wii.

Fatal Frame 2 was one of those OG Xbox games that worked on the 360 with the hacked emulator but sadly is not compatible on the Series consoles.

But I have had no issues emulating the PS2 version on the Xbox in 4K, so there's always that option (or PC emulation of either the PS2 or Wii versions).

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nice. Timely for me cause I recently picked up the remaster of 4, and then that inspired me to bust out the Wii and play the OG version w/ English translation.

I think I got to Night 3 on FF1 but man, that game is hard and I was basically hardlocked. It's also damn terrifying too. I have 2 and 3 but never played them much.

Maiden of Black Water is my favorite so far. I just love the vibe and the antique shop functioning as a central hub between set pieces. It even acts as a haunted house throughout the game and those sections are really effective. I love the WiiU gamepad functionality too. Same applies for the PS5 versions of 4&5. The gyro works so well for FF.

I was gonna say it the other day in the Silent Hill/RE thread but I would argue that FF has been far more consistent than SH as a whole. Just wanted to toss that out there to ruffle some feathers.

FF is a great series, hope we see a full blown new title or at the very least, a remaster of the Crimson Butterfly remake.

And like others have mentioned, FF 1-3 are still on the PS3 store.

Edir- wanted to add that the slow burn creeping sense of dread is still top notch. I love the J-Horror vibe of FF, I hope the series sticks around, I don't mind waiting because the games have all been solid thus far.

Last edited:

consoul

I recently finished the 4 remaster on PS5. One of the most visually inconsistent games I've ever played. It sometimes fees like PS4 characters exploring a PS1 environment. Some of the textures are ridiculously low-res. Still, PS1 horror games are a good vibe, so it actually didn't feel bad. I enjoyed it and could feel Suda's influence throughout.

I also bought Maiden of Black Water on PS5, but gave up on it pretty quickly and went back to replay it on WiiU. It was literally made for the gamepad.

GrayChild

Played all of them at some point (with the exception of that 3DS spin-off, and yes, even including the Wii remake back in 2012). Still one of my favorite series.

I'm split between the OG 2 and 3 as my favorites in the series. Replayed 4 on PC immediately after the remaster came out, and while I still liked it a lot, it has aged a bit poorly gameplay wise.

Hopefully the series continues. And by that, I mean an actual new game. It's been almost 9 years already.

Reactions: Isa
I am too much of pussy to play horror games.

Family Guy Reaction GIF

From an overall series standpoint I think Fatal Frame is my favorite horror franchise of all time. Fatal Frame 2 is only surpassed by Silent Hill 2 for me.

There's something special about this franchise that has just never been replicated. Eastern horror is by far my favorite and FF is one of the few games that really scratches that itch. Shoutout to Chillas Art though as their games always have a great atmosphere even if the quality is all over the place.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I started 1 three times on PS2, and I got maybe halfway through FF2 on Wii. Never beat any game in the series. I find the games quite disturbing, but their main problem is that they play like ass. Extra-slow walking, confusing controls, super-quick enemies, and so many of those ghosts that you have a split second to photograph before they’re gone forever. Also, good film is ridiculously limited. The correct way to play the game seems to be like some sort of very slow shooter where you have to be 100% accurate, which really grinds with the atmosphere the series is going for. Like Pokémon Snap with ghosts, only the ghosts want you dead and there’s some light adventure game elements to push you forward.

I tried the FF5 demo in WiiU when it came out and it was so cumbersome.

Pejo

It's a shame that it never made a big splash in the west. People were down on Maiden of Black Water, but I had a really good time with it. Atmospheric as fuck and looks surprisingly great on PC considering it's a port of a Wii U game.

• Love

cireza

Maiden of Black Water is my favorite so far.
This. I tried various games of the series, but Maiden of Black Water is the only one that had a strong enough gameplay for me to really click. Previous ones are quite a bit annoying to play, while this one simply plays perfectly well. Your character is still heavy and a bit slow, but that's perfectly normal, it is the intention, you are not supposed to play a ninja.

However in other games I find that moving is very slow, you get stuck a lot and it is super annoying. While MoBW was superbly refined in my opinion. Also the game was REALLY pretty on Wii U, it was quite amazing. The lighting and various effects were fantastic.

I moved on the Xbox One/Series version, that is much more playable than with the Gamepad though. Really like the move to 60fps and clarity, but the grain effect is a bit too soft on Xbox I find. It was a little bit better on Wii U.

MoBW has a great level-design as well, opening areas progressively one after another until you reach the final stage were the entirety of the map becomes available. It has a strong scoring mechanic as well, super addictive arcade gameplay.

Also on Wii U :
fatal_frame_costumes.0.0.jpg

Yeah, I love that shit.

Still waiting for the Fusion suit in Metroid Prime Remastered.

Game also has an excellent Ayane story, very well done. Great design.
project-zero-the-raven-haired-maiden-ayane-tsumugi-9_0000783104.jpg

This is a modern KT game, and God I love this company. Their games are a blast. Razor's Edge, DoA5 and 6, Hyrule Warriors (the original one, not the BotW poop filter edition), Maiden of Black Water, Wo Long, Deception etc... All awesome, super fun games. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

kunonabi

OG Fatal Frame II is indeed in the conversation for best horror game of all time. 4 is my favorite after that and 3 is the only one I don't like much at all. It just wears out its welcome and feels like more a chore than anything. I wish I was bigger fan of maiden but I felt they botched the potential of the game pad with it from what I've played l. I do need to get around to finishing it and genei ibun roku to finish up my wii U import backlog. It's a real shame that censorship has been such a problem for the series as of late. Such an underrated franchise.

MrA

Banned
It's a shame that it never made a big splash in the west. People were down on Maiden of Black Water, but I had a really good time with it. Atmospheric as fuck and looks surprisingly great on PC considering it's a port of a Wii U game.
Didn't make a big splash anywhere best selling game in Japan was mask of the lunar eclipse on wii at like 75k
Totally possible these new remasters are the height of the series success worldwide

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve only played Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on Wii but it wasn’t really my cup of tea. Never finished it.

Can’t say I’m very fond of horror games in general though.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I got the Wii-U version of 5 and beat it back in the day then I got the Remaster. It's okay, a lot of back tracking and running around.

Fatal Frame 4 feels like a tighter experience, shorter and a bit more bleak than 5.

I do wanna replay both of them again soon for the costumes and stuff.

I bought both games on Switch and PS4/PS5 day 1 so you can thank me for my service in getting more of these games out there in the future.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I got the Wii-U version of 5 and beat it back in the day then I got the Remaster. It's okay, a lot of back tracking and running around.

Fatal Frame 4 feels like a tighter experience, shorter and a bit more bleak than 5.

I do wanna replay both of them again soon for the costumes and stuff.

I bought both games on Switch and PS4/PS5 day 1 so you can thank me for my service in getting more of these games out there in the future.
This is the way. Us horror fans really gotta buy these titles if we're to ever get new entries in the franchise. I plan on getting the remaster of 5 soon for PS5.

Isa

This is the way. Us horror fans really gotta buy these titles if we're to ever get new entries in the franchise. I plan on getting the remaster of 5 soon for PS5.
Space Force Im Doing My Part GIF

I did similarly on PS5/Series X lol. They are sooo good, not many games capture that atmosphere and melancholic stories the same way. The gameplay is great too. Among my favorite new(to me anyway) horror franchises. I prefer having the ability to defend myself, not keen on the run and hide gameplay of other series though a few series like Clock Tower and Haunting Ground stand out. My girlfriend also really enjoys these games which is rare because she usually hates trying to play anything with tension lol save for rpgs.

I definitely recall seeing the OG's back in the day but budget constraints kept me from taking the plunge on them despite being interested, among those regrets I have lol. I really hope they get added to stores in some shape or form. Maybe there will be a nice announcement at the Tokyo Game Show?

killatopak

Played all of them and I think 3 is my favorite. Just something about your nightmares following you after you wake up gets me.

I think I was most scared in 2. I literally stopped playing the game. Actually finished it a few years later and became a fan of the series since.

Bought every game with multiple double dips with the ports and remasters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom