• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Japanese Dramas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ЯAW

Banned
Hashtag awkward silence? I've watched some japanese drama films and ffffuuuuck... I wish they could act better and/or had better scripts.
They probably can act better. Many actors you see in primetime dramas also do films. Some reason only in TV shows you'll see them giving cringe worthy acting performances. I have no idea why there isn't "serious" TV shows coming out from Japan. If some show manages give good performancese then there is something else wrong with the show.

If you were specifically talking about films, then you are just watching the wrong films.

karasu

Kurita's list in the OP is pretty good. Have you looked at it? From the list, I highly recommend: One Litre of Tears. One of the best jdrama I have seen.

Maybe Rich Men and Poor Women would be up your alley.

Btw, please tell me the name of the girl in you avatar.

Thanks, I'll check out Rich Men and Poor Women. One Litre of Tears sounds like more sadness than I need.

Her name is Fo Porter.

Cizard

Thanks, I'll check out Rich Men and Poor Women. One Litre of Tears sounds like more sadness than I need.

Her name is Fo Porter.

I wouldn't bother with Rich man poor woman, the subs for it out there are terribad. Assuming you'd need subs of course but if you do you're way better off watching something else. (It also doesn't help that Oguri Shun is in it).

I wouldn't bother with Rich man poor woman, the subs for it out there are terribad. Assuming you'd need subs of course but if you do you're way better off watching something else. (It also doesn't help that Oguri Shun is in it).
Yeah, the subs are terrible but I thought the drama itself was still good. I haven't finished it yet(not because it was bad!).

Late Blooming Sunflower is also a drama I recommend. I thought that was really enjoyable to watch. Not that much romance in it though but loved the character interactions. Funny moments too!

Though honestly, the only drama that made me laugh a lot is Amachan and that terribad drama I mentioned before.

Cizard

Yeah, the subs are terrible but I thought the drama itself was still good. I haven't finished it yet(not because it was bad!).

Yeah, i'm not saying it's a bad drama (though it doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy) but especially for someone new to japanese drama, I'd just recommend to spend your time elsewhere. You might get the gist of it if you're lucky and that's not a good way to start watching drama I'd say. In general it's just best to avoid drama with bad subs but some people are stubborn D:

Anyway, so far i'm only watching Ando Lloyd this season. I've not been watching as much as I used to... Ando is amazing though, I guess I can see why people don't like it but I find it a lot of fun to watch.

Something like Love Shuffle may be up your alley. It's a Romance drama with some comedy. Remember really liking it.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Love_Shuffle

Love Shuffle is a good show, I'd recommend that as well.

ЯAW

Banned
My friend made me watch couple episdoes of Summer Nude. God! Such overly sweet melodrama, I actually think the show gave me cavities.

Akito

Legal High S2E3
LFMAO the Rocky training montage. That was a great case with several twists and turns, Kamikado was on a roll once again.

Well, I finally finished Amachan today while waiting for my laptop to connect to school's wifi(and it never did until now...took an hour...). I can't believe it's finally over. This was the first drama I watched completely in Japanese and I couldn't have picked a better one. I just randomly popped into a Japanese site where they were asking for recommendations and this was on the top of the list so I just gave it a go. Really glad I found that site or else I wouldn't have watched it. I remember watching its debut in Apriland was hooked. The characters were great, everything fell into place, the story was engaging(156 episodes and not one was boring! ...Okay, maybe a few but I can't recall any atm), and I loved the soundtrack. I probably spent $100+ just to acquire them(Japanese music is too expensive!). When I was stressed, unhappy, or just wanted to relax, this drama really lifted my mood. It would leave a smile on my face throughout the whole day. Honestly, I didn't want this to end at all...but it must. This is probably my second favorite drama just behind 1 litre of tears. I read about people having amaloss and I definitely have it. lol Though I must say, the first half was better than the second half but it was still really good overall.

Although I'm watching hard nuts, it's no where near as good as Amachan. I just needed something to look forward to every week. The plus is that it does have Ai Hashimoto!

zeroshiki

It truly is one of a kind. I would record it then watch every night while eating dinner. The fact that is not heavy drama or anything of the sort was a big plus. It was just a fun relaxing show to watch and unwind with.

ЯAW

Banned
I really need to pick up Amachan. Seemed like nice show when I watched it, and the 15 minute episdoe span actually worked well for me. Don't even recall why I stopped watching it. Meanwhile I continue with Legal High. Episode 04 was another good episode, maybe not good as third one, but still funny. Loved the slowmo fight :D I'm glad they brought back the judge from the special ep and I hope we get more of her. I'm glad they are building more side characters that won't just fade away.

Kurita

Finished Hanzawa Naoki, it was really great.
The final episode was really exciting.
Didn't expect the ending though, I'm sure we'll either get a movie, a special or a second season because they can't end it like this.

no jin, invalid list.

japanese dramas tend to be of higher quality than korean dramas, but their bad dramas also have worse quality than bad korean dramas.

the anime hair is still annoying. some dramas are so ridiculously manga-like as well in terms of exaggeration in acting which is annoying. also, there's never a cool japanese dude. they all look like tryhards being cool or prince-like or mysterious. also, all of them have this stick-like build.

japanese dramas should stick to realistic speech and realistic scenarios.

ЯAW

Banned
no jin, invalid list.

japanese dramas tend to be of higher quality than korean dramas, but their bad dramas also have worse quality than bad korean dramas.

the anime hair is still annoying. some dramas are so ridiculously manga-like as well in terms of exaggeration in acting which is annoying. also, there's never a cool japanese dude. they all look like tryhards being cool or prince-like or mysterious. also, all of them have this stick-like build.

japanese dramas should stick to realistic speech and realistic scenarios.
Hiroshi Abe is plenty cool in many shows.

Will do once I'm done with Osozaki no Himawari (two episodes left).
Yes! Finally, someone else is watching it! Loved the interaction between Jotaro and Kahori.

It truly is one of a kind. I would record it then watch every night while eating dinner. The fact that is not heavy drama or anything of the sort was a big plus. It was just a fun relaxing show to watch and unwind with.
I have to agree with all of this. It being a non heavy drama was definitely a huge plus.

Kurita

Yes! Finally, someone else is watching it! Loved the interaction between Jotaro and Kahori.

Actually I was already watching it when I made the thread but didn't include it.
Since I'm so slow and watch too many things at the same time I forgot that I wasn't done with it.
But yeah it's really great, Jotaro and Kahori rule.

Need to get back to watching Amachan, too.

Kurita

Oh, I also started watching the drama Akihabara@DEEP.
b4K9i2a.jpg
Akihabara is a Tokyo district full of mangas, anime, electronics, video games, figurines, etc. It is a place that gathers fanatics of such themes, people who are commonly referred to as otaku. Page, Box, Akira, Taiko, Daruma, and Izumu are six otaku each with his/her own troubles and sought relief through a website called "Yui's Lifeguard." When site owner Yui died of a mysterious death, the six who are each experts in their own fields gathered to form "Akihabara@DEEP", a "trouble shooter" group that vows to protect Akihabara and solve the problems of its inhabitants.

I was really curious to watch it because it stars Hoshino Gen, and I love that guy's music.
Watched 3 episodes so far and it's really entertaining.
Pretty cheap looking since it was made in 2006 and aired late at night but really funny and wacky.

Actually I was already watching it when I made the thread but didn't include it.
Since I'm so slow and watch too many things at the same time I forgot that I wasn't done with it.
But yeah it's really great, Jotaro and Kahori rule.
That's...quite a way back. I would never be able to do that since I usually forget what was going on or lose interest in what's going on.
Need to get back to watching Amachan, too.
15ZFM.gif

I watched and finished it a few months ago. Loved it.

Need to get hold of the OST.
It brings tears to my eyes to know people also loved it. I definitely want to rewatch it one day.

I have the soundtrack and my only complaint is that it doesn't include the opening. It has the karaoke version instead :|

Akito

Legal High S2E4
This scene got me good.

Yes, judge Beppu is back and she's awesome as ever, please let her be a regular from now on, the on site inspection and mock battle were beyond hilarious.

zeroshiki

I love how self aware Legal High is. The Hanzawa Naoki rip in episode 1 had me howling too.

Legal High's 18% in ep04 is also pretty damn impressive because it was going against the Japanese Baseball Nippon Series and that one got something insane like 30%.

Doctor X lost like 5 rating points when it went up against baseball the day after.

Haven't really watched much myself, but today, I randomly came across Ichi Ritturo no Namida. Only got to watch a few episodes, can tell it's gonna be um, emotional.

zeox

Haven't really watched much myself, but today, I randomly came across Ichi Ritturo no Namida. Only got to watch a few episodes, can tell it's gonna be um, emotional.

yeah, i couldn't finish that show. too much for me :'(.

Watching Kekkon Dekinai Otoko at the moment and I'm really enjoying it so far. I guess I should start watching Legal High next?

Best drama! It's really the only form of media that I actually teared up. So sad but so good! I even bought the book but still haven't finished it lol One day though.

yeah, i couldn't finish that show. too much for me :'(.
Get back in there and finish it!

ZoddGutts

Hana Kimi is a fun show if your willing to turn off your brains off. I liked it for what it was.

Oh, I also started watching the drama Akihabara@DEEP.

I was really curious to watch it because it stars Hoshino Gen, and I love that guy's music.
Watched 3 episodes so far and it's really entertaining.
Pretty cheap looking since it was made in 2006 and aired late at night but really funny and wacky.

Tried to give that show a chance when I heard it was based on a novel who had written Ikebukuro West Gate Park novel as well, but everything felt so cheap and below IWGP in quality.

Speaking of IWGP, Tomoya Nagase's new show Kurokochi is oddly enjoyable. Almost feels like a parody of serious police crime drama's. Tomoya really over does he's performance in a good way. Makes the police crime drama feel different when the lead character is acts so.... wrong and fucked up but so right at the same time. It's hard to explain, something you have to watch.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kurokochi

zeroshiki

You know how some cases in Legal High seem too real and you realize how much of a scumbag Komikado really is and start rooting for the other guy? Episode 5 was one of those episodes.

The comedy was kinda weak but the story was really good. They kinda took a serious route for this episode but I really feel bad for Maezumi sometimes. Like, I don't really get why she keeps putting up with Komikado's schtick especially since there's now a really attractive alternative in Hanyu's group.

zeroshiki

Ratings are out. Legal High is still beasting. Kanto: 18.3%, Kansai: 20.9%

Its actually gaining ratings (which is not common Hanzawa Naoki withstanding).

You know how some cases in Legal High seem too real and you realize how much of a scumbag Komikado really is and start rooting for the other guy? Episode 5 was one of those episodes.

The comedy was kinda weak but the story was really good. They kinda took a serious route for this episode but I really feel bad for Maezumi sometimes. Like, I don't really get why she keeps putting up with Komikado's schtick especially since there's now a really attractive alternative in Hanyu's group.

I haven't watched it yet but the serious route was foreshadowed in episode 4 case as the nature of the case seemed more serious and realistic in some ways.

Ryuukan

Finished 35-sai no Koukousei. It was pretty much a GTO clone but the lead being a woman who's a student and has a troubled background instead of a generic punk. Still the same save the class members and unite them theme.

On to Yamada-kun and the 7 witches now, lots of kissing in this so far lol

zeox

Watched the first episode of Legal High and... I don't really know what I think about it yet. I'm obviously going to watch a couple more, but the first episode didn't really hook me the way some other shows have in the past. I'm guessing from the posts in this thread that it is a show worth watching, so I'll keep at it

Watched the first episode of Legal High and... I don't really know what I think about it yet. I'm obviously going to watch a couple more, but the first episode didn't really hook me the way some other shows have in the past. I'm guessing from the posts in this thread that it is a show worth watching, so I'll keep at it

It is def hit or miss- as most comedies are. if you didn't like the first episode I doubt you will enjoy the series.

Kurita

Watched the first two episodes of Kurokouchi.
So far it's quite entertaining.
Seriously though, wtf at the naked dead lady in the first episode and that naked assassin in the second episode. Didn't expect to see this.
Gouriki Ayame isn't bad in this, though it's weird that her character is a guy in the original manga. Guess they wanted to shoehorn her in yet another show.

Ryuukan

Finished Yamada-kun and the 7 witches. Short funny whacky school comedy.

Also decided to watch through Atashinchi no Danshi. Horikita Maki makes every drama ten times better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom