• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Japanese Dramas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resilient

Thank you fam!

いつか sounds rough by the title alone. Am I gonna make it out alive? I'm pretty prone to getting hung up on these sorts of things.

KtSlime

Thank you fam!

いつか sounds rough by the title alone. Am I gonna make it out alive? I'm pretty prone to getting hung up on these sorts of things.

You know, how when you are watching a horror film you have this constant urge to want to yell at the characters about what actions they should take but they do the opposite. That's what it's like but with romance. It's really enjoyable, especially the climax if that is what you like.

Plus it stars Arimura Kasumi.

Finally finished Kuroi 10-nin no Onna the other week, very fun show :) The ending isn't quite what I hoped for, but it's a pretty minor complaint. Need to find some time to write up my thoughts on it properly.

I was watching it with a friend, so we've now replaced it with Aoi Honoo (been meaning to get to that for a long time!). Might possibly throw in Chiisana Kyojin as well, but we'll see :)

Really need to finish up Gin to Kin, thinking about it...

blakep267

Million Yen Women- solid show. It did its job getting me invested in the harem. Main male lead didn't really do anything for me. I wasn't watching super closely so I didn't suspect the killer to be who she was. Deaths were kinda shocking because I wasn't expecting it, and first girl that died was the best girl

1 week friends- cute movie. Male lead wasn't obnoxious. Wasn't amazing but did it's job. I'm still a fan of Haruna kawaguchi but she's not in a ton of TV dramas. More movies

Drowning love- I have no idea wtf I was watching. Maybe the subs were off. It all I could discern was teens in love, brooding boy is brooding, best male friend pours his heart out, and girl becomes famous actress even though she clearly doesn't have any skill

GTO season 2- I'm not gonna pretend that season 1 was a masterpiece. But I found enjoyment in its over the top Japanese-ness and I liked it. I have no idea where they went wrong with S2. It's not even remotely the same show

Rurouni kenshin- somebody posted a gif in another thread and I always pass by this movie so I gave it a watch. It was good, but the rubber swords really took me out of it to the point where I kinda hated the fights. Also he only did the hitten mitsarugi style stance once in the entire movie. Most of The fighting wasn't like kenshins style at all

Ryuukan

more older shows watched:

Isan Souzoku: About a young broke doctor who marries into a wealthy family, but the patriarch grandpa is deciding who should receive what for inheritance. Theres lots of great hijinx and comedic backstabbing in this one. Relatively predictable ending but the bickering supporting cast makes it worth the watch. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

N no Tame ni: This one is about a group of 4 acquaintances who end up at the scene of a double murder. I'll start with the good. I liked how the show spanned a long period of time and spent a few episodes just on backstory to make you feel closer to the characters. It was confusing at first, how the show shifts between the past and present, especially since its showing characters who you have no idea who they are until like episode 3. I enjoyed the lead up to the incident which brings me to the bad. First, the entire concept of "for my N" as the title of the show suggests, and having various characters with an "N" in their names was pointless and kinda silly to me. Second, I wish there was less focus on the cop himself even though
he was a vehicle to the present day story. In the end he was just a chump with no clue hassling people.
Third, and the biggest problem, was
the cancer. Giving her cancer was such a cheap ploy and should not have been there. It was unnecessary and ruined the last few episodes of the show.
👍🏻👍🏻

Siren: Another thriller about two cops who are partners and are secretly in a relationship and the suspicious woman who seems to be involved with their investigations. Nanao was fantastic in this show and the reason to watch it. What I did not like was how Satomi kept his partner/lover completely in the dark even though
he suspects she's a serial killer.
I get that it was necessary to create some of the awkward situations for him to make him look like a stalker, but it was still odd. Also, I like Fumino Kimura but she was completely flat in this show. I think some of that is from the writing because its like she's not even there for like half of the series. Lastly, the second to last episode was everything I was looking for in the ending. The last episode went batshit crazy and was way too over the top and kinda cheapened the show as a whole. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Resilient

did anybody watch boku tachi ga yarimashita ?!

what the fucking shit, just finished episode 10. what the fuck was that ending. fuck these stupid ass shows.

KtSlime

what the fucking shit, just finished episode 10. what the fuck was that ending. fuck these stupid ass shows.

I don't know, I never watched it but it is based on a manga, maybe they couldn't find a good place to end it or came up with something outside the original source material.

Resilient

I don't know, I never watched it but it is based on a manga, maybe they couldn't find a good place to end it or came up with something outside the original source material.

PM me the manga ending

i'm so burnt on the ending to this show. please, anybody who has watched it, please post. (not dealing)

maxcriden

Sorry to hear it was such a mess/disappointment. I'm waiting for the eng subs to be completed. Was it a good show otherwise? Does the ending make it so bad it's entirely not worth watching?

maxcriden

unfortunately yes.

Oh. Jeez. That's not promising. Thank you for the info though.

I'm gonna smash through Akira to akira now. Anyone watching too?

I think I'm...3 eps in. re: episode 1, I was concerned (very mild spoiler)
about the dog
but it ends up being okay.

Also, don't make the same mistake I did and confuse Ishimaru Kanji with Iida Kisuke...it made me very confused trying to follow the story at one point. Show is pretty solid so far, though.

Ryuukan

from this past season:

Kurokawa no Techo: A thriller about a temp worker who schemes with her secrets in her little black book to try to own and run the #1 hostess club in Ginza. This show reminded me a lot of Zeni no Sensou and I really enjoyed it except one thing. The overused trope of
getting pregnant then losing the baby from falling
as some means of divine punishment cheapened the ending for me. I think it only took away from the show. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hello Harinezumi: Based on a manga about a dingy detective agency, this show has a very "Phoenix Wright" kind of feel. I don't want to spoil why, so just watch it. The two main detectives can be a bit juvenile and goofy at times, but I wonder if its because the manga is pretty old. Overall, great show, good ending, and my only complaint would be more screen time for Yu Aoi. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Rainy

Banned
^ was just gonna ask if there were any good dramas from the last season haha.

Are there any that you guys are looking forward to in the new Fall season?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Watched Aoi Hono over the weekend. The whole thing was quite interesting - I liked how they made it look "old" with graphic and sound effects.
My biggest problem with it was the extremely obnoxious MC, but if you're interested in people who ended up creating Gainax, give it a shot.

Are there any that you guys are looking forward to in the new Fall season?

Akagi Season 2, for sure. Besides that I'll just wait and see what people say is good :3 The only other show on my radar is 99.9 season 2, which is a January show.

Will be starting Hello Harinezumi with a friend soon. We only watch an ep a week so it'll take a while, but I'm looking forward to it :)

Resilient

I'll try and give it a watch. I should hang out in this thread more often.

Definitely man. My list from this year in order from best to worst

あきらとアキラ
小さな巨人
突然ですが明日結婚します
Trash tier below
僕たちがやりました

I don't watch as much as some others in here, so there should be a good few recommendations before these. I'm about to start 99.9.

bigjig

Anyone got any recommendations for lighthearted drama/comedy type shows? Something in the vein of Haken no Hinkaku, At Home Dad, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Kyo Kaisha Yasumimasu etc

Ryuukan

some more summer shows I watched:

Kahogo no Kahoko: This is about an overprotected and very sheltered woman who finally gets to see the real world. This was an excellent family drama because of Kahoko's character. She's not a spoiled brat or acts dumb on purpose. I would say the actress makes the character seem mildly autistic. The ending felt a bit slapdash, but given the light nature of the show in general, it wasn't too surprising. Highly recommended 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Gomen, Aishiteru: A show about a man who was given up as an infant and grew up as a Korean gangster. After taking a bullet in the head that can't be removed, he is told he doesn't have too long left to live. A chance encounter with a woman in Seoul happens and then the drama really begins. This was a pretty emotional drama though given the opening episode, you can tell what direction its going. There are 2 twists later on in the show, but honestly they don't impact the story nearly as much as you would expect imo. Recommended to anyone who can take depressing love stories. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Nou ni Sumaho ga Umerareta!: More of Atsushi Ito being a wimpy dork. This time a weird phenomenon adds a smartphone...to his brain. It's basically a "monster/problem of the week" type format with an overarching plot related to a disgruntled employee who becomes the MC's housemate. The show starts dumb as hell, then gets interesting, then emotional, then ends dumb as hell again. I don't regret watching it tho. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Kanna-san!: This is a very generic family drama centered on the mom of the family. There is really nothing you haven't seen before in this show with the exception of Kanna-san herself, Naomi Watanabe. I've never seen a show's main character with her attitude and outgoingness. It was kinda refreshing. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Anyone got any recommendations for lighthearted drama/comedy type shows? Something in the vein of Haken no Hinkaku, At Home Dad, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Kyo Kaisha Yasumimasu etc

I think other people here will be able to give you better recommendations as they've seen more shows, but:

- Rookies is my go-to for light drama/comedy, but I adore that show and am probably a little biased!
- Kuroi 10-nin no Onna is a really fun show, though the cameras and monologues are about as wacky as the characters. Worth giving ep1 a go, but if you don't get on with how... intense that stuff is, it might not be for you.
- Yoshihiko is a must if you have a love for dragon quest/final fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom