• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About Pursuit Force

I just recently finished the career mode on the NA version of Pursuit Force for PSP and I thought it was a fun, challenging experience. This game hasn't gotten a lot of talk around here (for a lot of reasons, probably, for one came during the March "month of joy" on PSP with SF, Daxter, and MM:pU, and for two, well, it's a PSP game).

As many people know, this is a pretty challenging game, a few levels especially
like defeating Hard Balls at the end of the convicts missions
. Overall though, I didn't find it like undoable in any way (I give much respect to those who managed to finish the Euro version without any checkpoints though, I doubt I could have the patience to do that. Overall, the graphics are really good, amongst the best on PSP IMO, the music is fantastic and has a nice action movie feel, and the gameplay is fun and very much a spirtual successor to Chase HQ with some added elements.

It has some repetetiveness but to me there was enough mix up in the missions for an arcade style game like this, with the helipcoter, boat, car, and on-foot stuff. It's great for pick up and play with relatively short missions. I know some reviews savaged this game (I think people at EGM gave it a 3.5 and 4.0 or some ridiculous thing, for comparison Gamespot gave it an 8), but I wonder if some of that is from having to rush through it for review, which is probably frustrating given the challenge. I played through it over 2-3 weeks, and when I got stuck just put it down for awhile.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this game, I think it's very solidly in the 7-8 range and definitely one of the better PSP games I've played, plus it's actually an original franchise on PSP which is a plus. A couple of pics below

926523_20060307_screen001.jpg

926523_20060307_screen004.jpg

Nozi

Banned
It's okay, more fun than most psp games i have played. Reminded me of chase HQ in speed and handling a lot.

suikodan

I really liked that game! It was a mix of Ridge Racer and Time Crisis. The driving did have some issues though but the action and shooting were excellent!

If EGM gave it a 4.0, they must have been smoking something. :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
A bit repetitive, a bit fun, a bit uneven difficulty.

Mix and match as you will.

suikodan said:
I really liked that game! It was a mix of Ridge Racer and Time Crisis. The driving did have some issues though but the action and shooting were excellent!
Yeah, I think the driving mechanics are pretty solid, but the motorcycles were a little tough to handle. One problem sometimes is that the game sometimes isn't consistent in letting you jump from one car to another, sometimes it seems like you should be able to and you can't, that can be frustrating with the time limits.

One other thing I thought was cool was the variety of locales, snow, rain, water, day, dusk, night, they pretty much cover everything

rafman400 said:
I thought this game was way too repetitive.
Yeah, I think that's definitiely a flaw, I sort of treated it like an arcade game with simple mechanics good for a quick pick up and play. I tended to only play it in short spurts one or two missions at a time, and in that way it's good for a handheld game.

I got it last week.

I'm about half-way through it (getting A's on everything) and really enjoying it. The "Velocity" mission is a lot of fun.

One thing i appreciate about this game is it uses the power of the PSP, but is distinctly a handheld game. The scope of the game is too small to be a PS2 game. Its fun to keep grinding away to get the A-ratings.

I kinda disagree about the repetitive complaint though... its an original style of gameplay, and the developers wisely mix it up with different kinds of missions, different vehicles, and different play modes (helicopter machine gun, on-foot). Although, the on-foot stuff is pretty subpar. They should've made those parts more like Time Crisis or some other rail shooter.

I'm also worried about replay value. With no multiplayer, no downloadable content, and weak alternate game modes, I'm not sure how long i'll be playing this after i Ace every mission.

Solid 8 IMO, not a system-seller, but PSP owners should check it out.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I loved it, but the European version is so hard. I remember I was playing it during a flight to the US and at some point I wanted to open my plane's window and throw the damn PSP to the ocean.

Funky Papa said:
I loved it, but the European version is so hard. I remember I was playing it during a flight to the US and at some point I wanted to open my plane's window and throw the damn PSP to the ocean.
Yeah, without the checkpoints it seems like it would almost be numbingly hard because you have to repeat so much to get to the hard parts over and over again.

As for getting "A" on every mission like sugarhigh is trying that's quite an effort too I don't think I'm going to go for that, although I never really understood the scoring on some missions it seemed like I did everything fine and I'd get a C and on others just OK and I'd get an A.

I loved the fact that this game was rock hard in an old school way....

Didn't like the repetetiveness and the changes of transport that add zero variety to the gameplay method though.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The on foot sections of the game were poorly implemented, the driving and jumping was great however. You could basically run up to a guy shooting you and arrest him taking minimal damage (reminds me of the Getaway II). If there ever is a Pursuit Force II, they need to bring in some multiplayer tagteam play. One player drives the car while the other player jumps on to another.

warthog

It's a great game imo. Some missions can be annoying though. Especially when you have to do the same stuff over and over because you fail at 1 part in the mission.

Flynn

My favorite is when the mob guy you're protecting quips, ""I told you guys not to eat so much canolli!"

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The best line is when your boss says "I want hard balls" or something to that effect

Not to mention how ridiculous the name "Hard Balls" is

Flynn

Wario64 said:
The best line is when your boss says "I want hard balls" or something to that effect

Not to mention how ridiculous the name "Hard Balls" is

haha I forgot about that one!

Kuran

Banned
Congratulations on completing the single player mode!

It is one of the most challenging games I ever played.

Love it, one of the best games on PSP... deserves a sequel on a home console.

What are the differences between the Euro and US version?

Kuran said:
What are the differences between the Euro and US version?
The big difference is the US version has checkpoints on some of the longer levels, a real godsend so say when you've got fight Hard Balls 10 times you don't have to go through the first part of the level all the time.

And it would be cool to see a console sequel, I think you could do some cool multiplayer chase stuff, plus these action scenarios would look great on PS3. I'd settle for a PSP sequel though

Kuran

Banned
Thats a pretty big difference! So they fixed one of my main gripes with this game...

Although the unforgiving nature gave it a very old-school arcade appeal to me... when we were younger all games were this hard.

Or we just weren't this weaksauce then. And had to be content with re-playing the first two levels of a game forever and ever... : )

Top Bottom