• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about the most beautiful Squaresoft games of the PS1 Era.

I'm talking about SaGa Frontier and Legend of Mana. Arguably, not great games. Still I think they're among the most graphically gorgeous games Square has ever released. I remember being put off Legend of Mana when it turned out the game was NOTHING like Secret of Mana. SaGa Frontier seemed way too obtuse to my young self at the time and I just couldn't get into it.

But yeah, the thought occurred to me earlier today that I can't remember ever seeing a thread about these games here on NeoGAF or anywhere else ever.

Are they worth going back to? Does anyone else long for a return to this art style in games? Really, these games are flipping gorgeous. Even modern games that attempt something similar come off looking less organic - more artificial. I can't quite put my finger on it. Oh well, here are some screenshots.

r6wPZKQ.jpg

e2MRxrW.jpg

KPHTySh.png

Great shots of these games are somewhat sparse. I might create some myself and return later. Until then... let's talk about these games that nobody ever talks about.

FF VII? (at least the hand-drawn backgrounds)

I honestly didn't realize there was a sequel to Secret of Mana.

There have been several. Also, every fucking PS1 Squaresoft thread is about FF and/or Chrono Cross. Why not talk about the games nobody talks about for a change? Besides, those games have aged (graphically) pretty poorly compared to the aforementioned titles.

Tybolt

Banned
Came to post Legend of Mana, but it was already here. Kudos.

But yeah, SaGa Frontier, Einhander, and Bushido Blade not being up on PSN yet is pretty much criminal.

So is anyone gonna answer the op's question?

I've tried several times to get into Legend of Mana, but I just can't. Every time I play it I just think what am I supposed to be doing? Why isn't this like Secret of Mana?

I've never played SaGa frontier unfortunately but I would love to if Square put it up on PSN.

CorvoSol

Legend of Mana introduced the hideous cat rabbit shit that would mark the start of the series awful, awful character designs.

Still can't look at Wendell in Sword of Mana without being angry

jotun?

Chrono Cross

I really liked the character sprites and animations in FF:Tactics, as well as some of the spell effects

Aeana

Do any modern games use pre rendered backgrounds?

Well, in the context that they're being used (still backgrounds prepared before-hand), Bravely Default is designed to evoke that memory. The backgrounds were hand drawn.

Krujo

Banned
I was playing Breath of Fire 4 recently and that game looks amazing for Playstation 1.

Forget to mention that Vagrant story is great looking game from square.

I could never get into the saga games.

Voliko

Playing Chrono Cross is like walking on a painting, it's so good.

I was pretty disappointed that Xenogears used polygonal environments.

I think the best part about these games with the 2D backgrounds is that they achieve a level of artistry that matches the concept material.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Not only does Legend of Mana feature perhaps the best graphics of the pre-HD era, it has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Truly a masterpiece. I would pay full price for an HD remaster of that art.

J-Skee

BRAVE FENCER MUSHASHI!!!!!!

No, not the most beautiful PSone game by any means, but I gotta show it some love.

sublimit

Banned
Yes OP i love the hand painted background art style of those games and i'd gladly play games with similar art styles today.Btw i've never played either games (since they never came out in Europe) therefore i'm not having "nostalgia glasses" (God i hate this term.)

RPGFan has a great screenshot gallery (but not a very good one of the first SF),so here's a few of LoM:
ss-012.jpg

ss-019.jpg

ss-043.jpg

ss-059.jpg

ss-106.jpg

Really beautiful game.

Chrono Cross: The Thread?

Seriously though, Chrono Cross was just stunning graphically. It still is. I can't believe they were able to push those kinds of visuals out of the PS1. I don't think it's a coincidence that my first PS1 overheated and died during my initial playthrough of Chrono Cross.

It probably is a coincidence, but still.

Sojiro

Came into the thread hoping to see SaGa Frontier and Legend of Mana, won't leave disappointed. Two very excellent picks. I also will give some love to the FF 7-9 games, the pre-rendered backgrounds look pretty damn good, and I also agree that I would love to see pre-rendered being used now with HD visuals. For as good as Legend of Mana looked, unfortunately it didn't come even close to being as good as Seiken Densetsu 2 or especially 3. SaGa Frontier 2 though, is such an awesome game, even outside of the visuals. Man I don't remember Chrono Cross looking that good, another really awesome pick.

Top Bottom