• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk computer chairs

epicnemesis

Well a year of work from home has done a number on what was already an old computer chair. It's time for a replacement, the faux leather is starting to flake off and its creaking, and the padding just isn't what it used to be. I'm looking in the 100-150 range. I don't need a chair to last a lifetime. Just something that is comfortable, last a few years, and then move on to the next one. I see this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRZ02TL/?tag=neogaf0e-20 is very popular on Amazon. Anyone have any experience? Not sure I'm a fan of how flashy it is, but comfort is more important than looks.

Anyone have any chair in my price range that they love?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gaming chairs are a scam targeted at (man)children. They offer zero benefit over regular chairs and are designed entirely to "look cool".

Buy a good ergonomic office chair. You don't need to buy one of the expensive usual suspects like the Aeron or Leap or whatever, you can stay in your range and get something that's just fine.

I personally got an Aeron at the start of lockdown knowing I'd be in it all day every day, and it's maybe the best thing I've ever bought. Got a refurb on eBay for £500.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ptO5qUq.jpg

I 2nd on the craigslist or FB marketplace deals. I scored a Herman Miller Embody in great condition for less than half price of a brand new one. Avoid that gamer chair garbage. Investing in a quality ergonomic chair is one of the best things you can do for your office setup.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I bought the top-of-the-line IKEA office chair 5 years ago and it's still excellent. One of the better investments ever.

It cost me about 300 euros but I cannot recommend it enough. Don't cheap out on chairs because that'll always bite you in the ass.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

got this one myself was super comfy and was one of the few they had in store. Also it was blue so had to get it.

Rathalos

Banned
I went big recently and bought a Steelcase Leap V2 for £868, it'll be arriving in the UK on the 16th and I should get it shortly after. I am extremely excited, I suffer from chronic back pain and I'm hoping having a proper chair will help. I just got sick of uncomfortable £100 office chairs and I'm hoping you really do get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I’m using a crappy old office chair. don’t know what it is. it’s awful. been looking to get a new chair. was gonna buy that IKEA one everyone gushes about (Markus) but got to try it out and i’m not sure about it.

Rathalos

Banned
I’m using a crappy old office chair. don’t know what it is. it’s awful. been looking to get a new chair. was gonna buy that IKEA one everyone gushes about (Markus) but got to try it out and i’m not sure about it.

I used it for a couple of years, it's good for the price but nothing special. I would pay more and get something better, but it depends how much time you're going to spend in it, if it's an hour a day then whatever, but if you work from home then I'd definitely get a proper ergonomic task chair.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Go to a second hand retailer, they usually sell very high quality refurbished chairs, they really feel like new, most of the proper office chair are build like tanks.

If you live in Europe, here is a good store -> https://corporatespec.com , I used it to get my Steelcase Leap V2.
If you live in the US, here is a good store -> https://www.crandalloffice.com

You want a proper store that properly refurbish the chairs they get.

Last edited:

Drake

Like you I had several faux leather chairs that would flake after like 6 months. Finally I decided to get a nice mesh office chair. It was pretty expensive (like $400 -$500), but totally worth it. I've had it for over 5 years and it's in the same exact condition as the day I bought it and I use it every single day. Super durable and comfortable. If you use it a lot it's definitely worth the money.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Ergonomic computer chairs with better comfort and quality - V
Awful looking, uncomfortable RGB gaming chairs - X

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I actually need to get a new chair somewhat soon. Current one (mostly mesh) is starting to sag a bit and has gotten pretty loud when reclining.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
For those curious I ended up going with this cheap chair. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZG2X58B/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Shout out to everyone who talked me out of a gaming chair. Build quality is unfortunately what you would expect, but it’s extremely adjustable for the price point. I figure it’ll give me a few years use then I’ll upgrade to a real chair.
Nice, not bad. I'm sure that will work for now, or maybe you can downgrade to this. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Everyone keeps talking about Herman Miller chairs, I might eventually look into that.

Last edited:
Been getting advertised hard by the Ergochair 2 by Autonomous

hmm

Been getting advertised hard by the Ergochair 2 by Autonomous

hmm
they are not bad. Definetely better than any "gaming" chair.

crumbs

I've been using an Aeron chair for 13 years now. I was able to get it on an employee discount through a family member, but considering how well it's held up, I wouldn't have been upset to pay retail.

My thoughts:

- It comes in 3 sizes; I'm on the taller side, so getting a chair that has a supportive seat cushion for longer legs is appreciated.
- Mesh is great for breathability. I've not had any issues with the mesh sagging.
- It's pretty easy to upgrade or repair. I added leather arm rests after a few years of ownership and they were easy to install. I also replaced the bottom seat cushion after the nylon mesh ripped (that was totally my fault for unknowingly setting something sharp on it). That was also relatively easy to repair and to find parts for.
- If you do get an Aeron chair, give yourself a little time to dial in the seating adjustments before judging the comfort of the chair. I think a lot of people look at the cost and, after sitting in it the first time, end up disappointed.

I've been using an Aeron chair for 13 years now. I was able to get it on an employee discount through a family member, but considering how well it's held up, I wouldn't have been upset to pay retail.

My thoughts:

- It comes in 3 sizes; I'm on the taller side, so getting a chair that has a supportive seat cushion for longer legs is appreciated.
- Mesh is great for breathability. I've not had any issues with the mesh sagging.
- It's pretty easy to upgrade or repair. I added leather arm rests after a few years of ownership and they were easy to install. I also replaced the bottom seat cushion after the nylon mesh ripped (that was totally my fault for unknowingly setting something sharp on it). That was also relatively easy to repair and to find parts for.
- If you do get an Aeron chair, give yourself a little time to dial in the seating adjustments before judging the comfort of the chair. I think a lot of people look at the cost and, after sitting in it the first time, end up disappointed.
Can ya hook that discount up? ;)

Valonquar

I've been really tempted to go for a Herman Miller Embody. They have a gaming version that is in black that looks nice

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I've been really tempted to go for a Herman Miller Embody. They have a gaming version that is in black that looks nice

That’s the one I have. Fantastic chair. My chronic back pain has pretty much gone away after I got this chair.

As far as looks go. The embody from the side or back looks so cool. The front you can't tell how special it is. I dk wish office surplus resale spots carried them. I can't justify the price. The steelcase gesture is also sweet.

I have had the 200.00 IKEA Markus for about 5 years and its been really good. Use it in my man cave since I can get too sleepy in a Lazy Boy recliner.

CloudNull

Banned
I will never own a gaming chair again. Herman Miller are the only chairs I will buy going forward. Truly incredible.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I agree an office chair is the way to go, but I hate these things.
the lip on the front digs into my legs and it's even worse when I put my feet up on the chair. the mesh is otherwise comfortable. i think gamers nexus did a video on gamer chairs vs office chairs and the one most people liked was some staples chair

edit:

the main problem is you can't try before buy most of the time. that's a recipe for disappointment

edit: that said when I'm playing games I play on a tv so recliner > all

Last edited:
Top Bottom