• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any good PC Controller w/o sticks drift and with Xbox layout?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hello fellow GAFers.

My Xbox Series X controller I use for PC just started drifting, which is a shame because it's the most comfortable controller I've used, really love it, but I have to replace it and won't get another XSX controller for the same fear, I got this one less than a year ago.

I was looking a Hal effect controllers but there are only these two options as far as I know:

8bitDo Ultimate Bluetooth
GuliKit King Kong 2 Pro Controller

The problem with the first one is that it only comes with Nintendo button layout and that can't be changed, it feels like it's kinda "hack-y" experience.

The problem with the second one is that it's bluetooth. I run away from bluetooth as much as possible, specially on controllers due to latency and signal issues. I can get an adapter to make avoid those issues supposedly but then it's even more expensive.

Any suggestion for a good PC controllers that doesn't have any drift issues?

Thanks in advance.

Sleepwalker

8bitdo ultimate bluetooth controller, it has hall effect joysticks. Great controller. Yes it has the switch layout but when was the last time you looked at your controller when playing a game? Just rebind and enjoy.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
8bitdo ultimate bluetooth controller, it has hall effect joysticks. Great controller. Yes it has the switch layout but when was the last time you looked at your controller when playing a game? Just rebind and enjoy.
Thanks, that will be my last resort. I'm also thinking on getting another Xbox controller for a last time and see if it lasts, if it doesn't then I'm not buying any more.

My other option is to get the 8bitDo wireless adapter and use the Switch Pro Controller on PC, but I rather get a separate controller just so each one gets less use from me.

I thought those Hal Effect sticks were sold as separate components for any controller? Maybe I got confused.

Sleepwalker

Thanks, that will be my last resort. I'm also thinking on getting another Xbox controller for a last time and see if it lasts, if it doesn't then I'm not buying any more.

My other option is to get the 8bitDo wireless adapter and use the Switch Pro Controller on PC, but I rather get a separate controller just so each one gets less use from me.

I thought those Hal Effect sticks were sold as separate components for any controller? Maybe I got confused.
The 8bitdo one already has hall effect joysticks which pretty much makes it immune to drift. No modding needed.

All 3 console manufacturers use regular joysticks that are prone to drift in all their versions of their controller, even the ones that cost $200. This a choice they made. And yes you can probably mod a regular controller with a third party hall effect kit if youre up for that. I know you can do it with joycons anyhow but will most likely require some soldering.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
7105vexPwvL.jpg

They say you can even pilot a submarine with this.

zeomax

You can buy replacement buttons in XBOX style for the 8bitdo ultimate controller on their website

Kataploom

Gold Member
The 8bitdo one already has hall effect joysticks which pretty much makes it immune to drift. No modding needed.

All 3 console manufacturers use regular joysticks that are prone to drift in all their versions of their controller, even the ones that cost $200. This a choice they made. And yes you can probably mod a regular controller with a third party hall effect kit if youre up for that. I know you can do it with joycons anyhow but will most likely require some soldering.
Well, that's like an obvious thought, yet not even Bing Chat could find a Hal effect mod replacement 😅

Does the King Kong 2 Pro comes with a USB wireless dongle for PC usage?
You gotta buy it separately and it's the "8bitDo Wireless adapter" equivalent for GuliKit it seems, less latency, better signal, etc.

You can buy replacement buttons in XBOX style for the 8bitdo ultimate controller on their website
Oh, cool, it's a shame I don't live in USA and those are not in Amazon, since Amazon can send to my country.

zeomax

Even better they also sell the Ultimate controller in XBOX layout

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Even better they also sale the Ultimate controller in XBOX layout
No hall sticks on that version.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Drift is something that can happen with every controller because they use the same unreliable technology. Just use contact cleaner whenever you start to notice that something's off. You don't even need to disassemble anything, just use the spray can straw and give the stick a couple of squirts, rock it to spread the cleaner around, leave it to dry off and it will work just like new after that.

I did this with every controller that I ever had a drift on and it never failed.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Drift is something that can happen with every controller because they use the same unreliable technology. Just use contact cleaner whenever you start to notice that something's off. You don't even need to disassemble anything, just use the spray can straw and give the stick a couple of squirts, rock it to spread the cleaner around, leave it to dry off and it will work just like new after that.

I did this with every controller that I ever had a drift on and it never failed.
I let alcohol fall through the stick hole, even blew a little and it even got worse lol That works with a joycon I have though, it's probably a contacts issue instead of dirt inside

Last edited:
Elite 2 is the best controller u can get but get extended warranty on that bad boy because it's a mess qc wise
U can buy the best controller in the world and it can have stick drift
For me personally the series X controller is the best and most comfortable , got mine with the launch of series X and still works without any issues

Rickyiez

Get the 8Bitdo pro . The Gulikit has to much features and connectivities for its own good and thus it's very error/fault prone . 8Bitdo has much better build quality and with non sticky face buttons too .

Source : I have both , my Gulikit is faulty out of the box while the 8Bitdo works flawlessly

Last edited:

Tarin02543

The problem with the first one is that it only comes with Nintendo button layout and that can't be changed, it feels like it's kinda "hack-y" experience.

You can order Xbox buttons for your Ultimate on the 8bitdo website:

1_b285660b-ea6e-4a97-8097-efe07d5f299f.jpg

nkarafo

Aren't bluetooth adapters inferior to the one XBOX controllers use?

That's the only reason i;m stuck with my XBOX controller on PC. The XBOX adapter is the only one that ever worked for me without issues.

Buggy Loop

Even better they also sell the Ultimate controller in XBOX layout

⚠️

I remember searching extensively for the hall sensing 8bitdo and I recall only the one with switch layout had it. It’s a fucking mess to navigate this info on their site. You have to find it via their shop

The Xbox layout does not have hall sensing joysticks

Mind blowing dumb, I know

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Why do you care about the correct layout? Are you looking at the buttons to find the correct one? What difference does it make?

Topher

Gold Member

Awesome. Purchased.

Thanks.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why do you care about the correct layout? Are you looking at the buttons to find the correct one? What difference does it make?
Something to do with feeling a more native or less hacky experience, not a deal breaker but rather just a little preference since it's gonna be used solely on my PC.

I'll probably just fix the Xbox controller to see how much it lasts or get another one though before purchasing from another brand, I've already invested a little in batteries packs and official dongle and would rather to keep using them, they're very comfy add-ons.

Thanks for suggestions, I though there were more options to considering but it's basically those two controllers plus one more someone posted

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Something to do with feeling a more native or less hacky experience, not a deal breaker but rather just a little preference since it's gonna be used solely on my PC.

I'll probably just fix the Xbox controller to see how much it lasts or get another one though before purchasing from another brand, I've already invested a little in batteries packs and official dongle and would rather to keep using them, they're very comfy add-ons.

Thanks for suggestions, I though there were more options to considering but it's basically those two controllers plus one more someone posted

But the controller works 100% and is identified as Xbox controller/input. Maybe if you care about the “aesthetic” aspect or maybe if you’re gaming with someone who’s looking at buttons to find the correct one… other than that it’s a non issue.

Buggy Loop

Apparently the qualities not that good and it collapses under pressure. You need to keep buying them which is just a sunk cost, sounds like a titanic failure if you ask me.

There was an expedition where they fucked up the sub’s movements compared to controller, I kid you not.

They should have done the Konami code

poodaddy

I've had tons of different Xbox controllers over the years, and I've had two failures for different reasons, but never had stick drift at all. I've had plenty of stick drift on joy cons, but nothing else. Seems pretty rare to me, I'd just get another Xbox controller and be sure to take care of it and not play with dirty hands or get it too dusty and don't put it anywhere near pets.

Fun fact: In 35 years I've had three joysticks drift. In eleven years my daughter has had four. There's something there worth gleaming; if we take care of our controllers they tend to last longer.

Kokoloko85

What about the Xbox Elite controller? If your comfortable with it, get one with warranty and ask to replace it if it messes up. Ive only ever had 1 issue with a controller outside of the Switch drift and Sony replaced my controller quickly. Go with what your comfortable with

Antwix

If you live in USA, you should check up on the Best Buy warranty if you were to buy another one. If it fails, you just go in store and exchange for a new one. You love the Series X controller, no reason to change.

⚠️

I remember searching extensively for the hall sensing 8bitdo and I recall only the one with switch layout had it. It’s a fucking mess to navigate this info on their site. You have to find it via their shop

The Xbox layout does not have hall sensing joysticks

Mind blowing dumb, I know
Does that 8bitdo work with linux?

The Stig

when did stick drift start happening to everybody? i personally find the XSX controller to be perfectly fine

Kataploom

Gold Member
What about the Xbox Elite controller? If your comfortable with it, get one with warranty and ask to replace it if it messes up. Ive only ever had 1 issue with a controller outside of the Switch drift and Sony replaced my controller quickly. Go with what your comfortable with
Too expensive but you can easily get and replace an stick for that one without soldering, right?

I have drift in a joycon but I got my Switch used so kinda understandable. Then I got a Pro Controller that I used to play EVERYTHING from Switch to PC, have gotten a lot of use so one of the reasons why I got the Xbox controller was to preserve the Pro Controller better.

Xbox controller got drift while Switch Pro Controller just like new, except for a very slightly loosey ZL because it fall from the table like two weeks ago.

wow-wink.gif

I'd like to know. I'm always fascinated why people care about the most stupid ridiculous not meaningful shit.
IDK, It's not unplayable to me or whatever, in fact, I was using my Switch Pro Controller before getting this one and used a PS3 controller for years on PC too. it just feels good having it matching like each controller for their own platform. It's a little OSD with feeling things not being "hacky".

Not a deal breaker but definitely far from first choice.

when did stick drift start happening to everybody? i personally find the XSX controller to be perfectly fine
I've had drift in an Ipega controller which well, I played a lot and it's also kinda cheap, also had drift on a joycon that came with my Switch but I got it used and shows usage signs anyway... And this one. All are device post 2017 to me. Something to do with cheap manufacturers and programmed obsolecense.

I have that 8bido one, after about 5 months, the up direction on the left stick stopped registering. So be careful.
Is that the "Ultimate Bluetooth" version, which has Hall effect sticks?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Too expensive but you can easily get and replace an stick for that one without soldering, right?

I have drift in a joycon but I got my Switch used so kinda understandable. Then I got a Pro Controller that I used to play EVERYTHING from Switch to PC, have gotten a lot of use so one of the reasons why I got the Xbox controller was to preserve the Pro Controller better.

Xbox controller got drift while Switch Pro Controller just like new, except for a very slightly loosey ZL because it fall from the table like two weeks ago.

IDK, It's not unplayable to me or whatever, in fact, I was using my Switch Pro Controller before getting this one and used a PS3 controller for years on PC too. it just feels good having it matching like each controller for their own platform. It's a little OSD with feeling things not being "hacky".

Not a deal breaker but definitely far from first choice.

I've had drift in an Ipega controller which well, I played a lot and it's also kinda cheap, also had drift on a joycon that came with my Switch but I got it used and shows usage signs anyway... And this one. All are device post 2017 to me. Something to do with cheap manufacturers and programmed obsolecense.

Is that the "Ultimate Bluetooth" version, which has Hall effect sticks?

Whatever you do, don't buy Xbox Elite. I had like 4 or 5 of these. Waste of energy.

dcx4610

Series X controllers aren't known for drift so it's probably just a flaw or something that happened with wear and tear. I have several and they are all still perfect. I'd just grab another another. There's nothing out there that really can compare to it. You could go 8bitdo but it's probably going to eventually fail as well. Controllers don't last forever.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Very true. Still, very stupid. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
And I agree with you, that's why I know it's last resort, I won't refuse to use unmatching button layout if it's the best or only choice given anyway, but can't help feeling OSD because of that 🤷‍♂️

Whatever you do, don't buy Xbox Elite. I had like 4 or 5 of these. Waste of energy.
I've seen several people saying the same, is there any particular reason?

S0ULZB0URNE

My choice.

61gIJSOPjgL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
And I agree with you, that's why I know it's last resort, I won't refuse to use unmatching button layout if it's the best or only choice given anyway, but can't help feeling OSD because of that 🤷‍♂️

Seriously, don't worry about. Don't pass on the best controller because X is in the place of Y. And it it's bothering you so much, just buy a button kit that was posted above.

I've seen several people saying the same, is there any particular reason?

Stick drift (2 times), sticky A button, back rubber glue failing. That's my experience.

Top Bottom