• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5 confirms Lady Layton for Western release in 2017, series hits 15.5 million

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Via a Level-5 press release:

Level-5 said:
As one of LEVEL-5’s masterpieces, the PROFESSOR LAYTON series of puzzle adventure games has sold more than 15.5 million units worldwide to date. Its newest official sequel, Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadone’s Conspiracy — available on Nintendo 3DS/Android/iOS — was announced to be released in Spring 2017 in Japan. Not only will the main character switch from “Professor Layton” (Hershel Layton) to “Kat” (Katrielle Layton), many of its characters will be brand new. The story will focus less on dynamic problem-solving and more on solving multiple mystery cases observed in the everyday lives of Londoners, which will bring a faster tempo and more comical tone to the series. It will be more familiar — and funnier — than ever, while maintaining an adventurous quality. The creators of the puzzles and brain-teasers, the core element of the series, will also be new. Please look forward to the new PROFESSOR LAYTON series, targeting a Western release in 2017.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9FspQMOBAA

Some screenshots:

4_img351s9u.png

4_img15ys5b.jpg

L~A

Really great news. Now we just need a trilogy compilation ;)

New puzzle creator is Kuniaki Iwanami, by the way.

JTripper

I'm down for a more comedic Layton series. It'd be cool for it to be its own thing instead of just copying the Layton story formula.

Ridley327

It says they're targeting a 2017 western release, which might mean it could slip into 2018. It would be surreal to see Nintendo publish a 3DS game in 2018.

fantastic, utterly fantastic.

I'm even actually kind of glad about the basic formula change, as every game follows the same blueprint but feature-creep expands thing ever so slightly. A re-focusing could make a more streamlined experience. I'm fine with that.

Coppanuva

At least it's coming the same year as JP version. I wonder what the price will be, seeing that it hits the phones too.

Based on the "Mini-mysteries" mentioned, I'm guessing it's going to go for normal 3DS price and charge something like $2-5 per mystery on phones. Would make it easier to break up and price accordingly, without making the 3DS version seem overly expensive comparatively.

Phu

Banned
Can't wait! This game has kinda rekindled my interest in the series. Loved 'em on DS but since I jumped into 3DS a little later I haven't caught up.

Oh this looks exactly like Layton. I dropped off half way through 3 so I never played the 3DS series so I may jump back in on these.

L~A

It says they're targeting a 2017 western release, which might mean it could slip into 2018. It would be surreal to see Nintendo publish a 3DS game in 2018.

This is most assuredly not a 3DS release in the West (just talking of handheld version).

What about snack world?????

Still coming, but no news. It's cross-media project, so it might take a little while.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is most assuredly not a 3DS release in the West (just talking of handheld version).

Still coming, but no news. It's cross-media project, so it might take a little while.

I suppose it could be a 3DS and NX release here.

The mobile screenshot could be a good representation of what to expect on NX in its handheld configuration

Ridley327

Will Nintendo localize and publish it though as they did with all other entries?

FWIW, Level 5 is the one that localizes the games in the US (NOE does their own thing for Europe, despite using most of the same VA cast). They are technically a publisher, but they have no physical distribution arm to speak of, which is why they team up with guys like Nintendo and Bamco to get their games out at retail. No reason to assume why they wouldn't be interested in this with how well the series has done, but that's up to Level 5 in the end.

Javier

I need to finish Last Specter and play the 3DS entries, I lagged behind on the series.

Interested in this, definitely.

I haff tvelve metchsteeck

VegiHam

Confirmed nebulously for 'the west'. And no confirmation of platform. Hmmm, fine, I'm resigning myself to a mobile only release in America only and nothing for Europe. Ah well.

maxcriden

The story will focus less on dynamic problem-solving and more on solving multiple mystery cases observed in the everyday lives of Londoners, which will bring a faster tempo and more comical tone to the series. It will be more familiar — and funnier — than ever, while maintaining an adventurous quality. The creators of the puzzles and brain-teasers, the core element of the series, will also be new.

Any ideas on quite what this means? The part about the focus, I mean. Just wondering if there are going to be fewer individual puzzles, but the end but doesnt make it sound like that, and the puzzles are the gameplay focus in the trailer, so hopefully not. Just a bit confused about what they mean in regards to dynamic problem solving? Perhaps it will be more mission based and less free roam.

You don't expect it to hit 3DS in the West?

There was a Layton DS game released in the west after the 3DS was already out, no? Unwound Future, I think?

Makes sense that a Layton game would end up being among the final 3DS games too. I've never played anything in the series but since this is a fresh start, that has me curious. I'm happy to see it'll indeed be a worldwide release instead of being stuck only in one territory.

El Odio

Banned
Great news! Nice to hear that it'll only be a year or so break between entries for me. This series really captured me earlier this year in a way not may games have.

tauke

I left a few more puzzles before I finish with the main story for The Azran Legacy.

...this reminds me of a puzzle.

Top Bottom