• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 developing three RPGs for smartphones

Aeana

On one hand, I'm happy that Jiro Ishii got to work on another game after Time Travelers bombed. On the other hand, his game doesn't sound very interesting to me. Oh well.

On one hand, I'm happy that Jiro Ishii got to work on another game after Time Travelers bombed. On the other hand, his game doesn't sound very interesting to me. Oh well.
It's the only one that actually sounds interesting to me.

Wonderflick seems super generic, and the Girlfriend game sounds like one of those all girl fetish RPGs that are so popular lately.

duckroll

Yeah this definitely isn't a follow up to the Guild series. Sounds like internal Level5 stuff. They're all RPGs, and the only actual game creator mentioned is Ishii. The concepts definitely sound like they match what Hino was saying previously about how the challenge of creating worthwhile smartphone games is that they have to keep in mind that many people would want to play them in short bursts while they're on a train. So basically simple gameplay which can support short sessions over a long period of time.

duckroll

Some additional credits and details for the games:

Wonder Flick
Planning/Producer/Director: Akihiro Hino
Character Design: Nao Ikeda
Boss Monster Design: Takuzo Nagano
Music: Nobuo Uematsu

- There'll be avatar customization.
- Nao Ikeda is one of the Square Enix designers who went freelance after FFXIII-2 iirc.
- The base game is free (f2p!).

Majin Station
Producer: Akihiro Hino
Director/World Setting Design: Jiro Ishii
Character Design: Yusuke Kozaki
Majin & Concept Design: Takeshi Oga
Planning/Development: Level-5
Developer: Think Tank

- Also f2p!
- You can pick between a male or female character to play as.
- Takeshi Oga is the artist for Gravity Daze, he has a site here: http://www.takeshioga.com/524159

Chikyu Kaimetsu teki B-kyu Kanojo
(No staff details)
Developer: Kayac

- Also f2p!
- This blog I'm reading says the iOS version is out in June, and the Android version is out in July. Not sure if Polygon or the blog is correct.

randomkid

What is Majin Station about? Hino explains: "To put it simply, it's a simulation RPG where you fight over territory in the form of Japan's rail stations. Ishii's first concept line was 'something is lurking under the Yamanote line [Tokyo's main loop line], and my response to that was 'Let's get all of Japan's station in there'. I didn't think there'd be a point unless we went through with that."

Not much of the game was shown, but judging by the character art in Famitsu, Level-5's going for a sort of occult, Shin Megami Tensei-ish feel to go with their game. "You can choose your starting station freely," Ishii said, "whether it's your home station or the one you grew up near. I'd like to get all the local lines and subways in here, too, not just Japan Rail lines. As you're piloting your demon train around the country, you may run into a powerful demon in X number of stations, or maybe a local celebrity will show up in demon form when you visit certain cities. It's a command-based RPG that you can control with one hand and enjoy in short periods of time."

The way Polygon/Kevin is describing this sounds about as promising as a F2P smartphone game could possibly be for me but scans don't seem to be showing up on twitter so I gotta withhold judgment until I can confirm the aesthetics. Fire Emblem artist is a big minus but Gravity Daze artist is a big plus, so we'll see how it turns out.

duckroll

Level-5 loves their internal brands it seems.

I like the art of Wonder Flick. Is it the same guy that did Inazuma Eleven?

Kinda meh on Majinstation and B-Kanojo's concept looks pretty stupid :lol

The monsters are designed by the Layton and Inazuma guy. The character designs are by the FFXIII-2 and Children of Mana artist who went freelance.

Apparently they have 6 Uniplay games in development now. They're just announcing 3 first.

The monsters are designed by the Layton and Inazuma guy. The character designs are by the FFXIII-2 and Children of Mana artist who went freelance.

Apparently they have 6 Uniplay games in development now. They're just announcing 3 first.

Hmm, looking at the original Inazuma art I was pretty off-base. Thanks though!

Wonderflick and Majin Station both look pretty cool.

B-Type Girlfriend leaves me feeling cold. I'll still give it a try when it hits though.

duckroll

Wonderflick and Majin Station both look pretty cool.

B-Type Girlfriend leaves me feeling cold. I'll still give it a try when it hits though.

Doesn't it worry you that the only games which look pretty cool are the ones with no gameplay shown whatsoever? Just good concept art. Lol. Seems like a Level5 trend to me!!!

Wonderflick is definitely the one that has my highest interest.

I really don't have a clue about Majin Station.

Lol at B-Type Girlfriend.

Doesn't it worry you that the only games which look pretty cool are the ones with no gameplay shown whatsoever? Just good concept art. Lol. Seems like a Level5 trend to me!!!

Haha, it helps that the art styles aren't complete garbage like B-Type. I also happen to really like Jiro Ishii, especially after Time Travelers.

Actually, is B-Type the only game that doesn't have its main staff advertised on the main page? That's a GREAT sign.

Also worth noting that all three games are 基本無量+アイテム課.

Free to play + in-app purchases for items.

I downloaded the B-Rank Girlfriend game this morning. Im still playing it. So addicting! Game play is similar to Puzzle And Dragons but with a slot machine. You can skill stop it to help you get a 3 of a kinds and 5 of a kinds. So many wonderful waifus...

Top Bottom