• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Levine: The first half of Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea will not have any combat

combat was the part I enjoyed the least in BI, so this sounds good.
I feel the same way.

I wouldn't call the combat shit, but it was bullet-spongy and I never managed to find an enjoyable rhythm of push/pull, attack and counter-attack. I was either almost completely safe or else completely overwhelmed with no middle-ground.

But then again I've never liked the direct combat in the series, preferring instead to set up ambushes and use turrets and automatons for the heavy lifting.

Still, the worlds they craft are nothing short of breathtaking so it'll most likely worth the price of admission alone to wander through those spaces and gawk.

I think I'll be a lot more okay with an adventure game-style visit to Rapture than a rehash of the segmented arena shooter gameplay of Infinite, especially given the noir style.

Zeliard

I don't think moving a camera from point A to point B and watching some dialog or staged set pieces makes for a good game either. :p

I'm sure it'll be involving enough. Rapture lends itself well to more of a slower-paced, investigative form of gameplay, along with the noir-based storyline.

This is also the general intention with Burial at Sea's combat, where Levine wants it to approach more of a methodical, planning-based Bioshock 1/2 feel as opposed to the more aggressive, set-piece-heavy combat found in Infinite.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
I'm perfectly fine, i love the visual style and art in Bioshock and going back to Rapture is personally, a dream come true.

That's really surprising. Does that mean the Elizabeth chapter will be the one with combat? That'll be different.

And to what I know the majority of posts in here will be, combat was awesome in Infinite.

Good point.

Everything so far points to combat for Elizabeth but not in a traditional sense I.e weapons.

Apparently they're trying to balance a tear mechanic for the player to use, but not sure how to implement it.

I'm sure she won't be the walking armoury that Booker is, because they've identified her as not being a 'booker' in a different character model.

One of the interviews mentioned taking an almost survival horror approach to part 2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good point.

Everything so far points to combat for Elizabeth but not in a traditional sense I.e weapons.

Apparently they're trying to balance a tear mechanic for the player to use, but not sure how to implement it.

I'm sure she won't be the walking armoury that Booker is, because they've identified her as not being a 'booker' in a different character model.

One of the interviews mentioned taking an almost survival horror approach to part 2.

Well, they released art of Elizabeth holding a revolver so I think she'll have guns of some sort as well.

olimpia84

I love the exploration parts on the Bioshock games but I won't say this is great news until I play it. Combat thrown here and there can definitely help the pace of the game but I guess it makes sense not having combat during the first part since there's nothing to kill really in the 'normal' Rapture.

traveler

Not Wario
:/

Well, interested to see what it'll be like, but that sounds disappointing. The combat is the game. There is no interesting interaction, skill testing mechanics, or play to the rest of it, but I suppose they will introduce new elements to accommodate this new approach. I can't shake the feeling that this was done to address the people who they shouldn't be interested in addressing in the first place- the post-shooter audience.

Marjar

Banned
I feel like the people who didn't like BI's combat either weren't playing it correctly or just don't like FPS games because I thought the combat was great.

Either way this is interesting. Hopefully it's done well.

ElfArmy177

Good, combat was terrible in BI. Game had no soul.. like at all.

I feel like the people who didn't like BI's combat either weren't playing it correctly or just don't like FPS games because I thought the combat was great.

Ive been playing FPS games since I can remember and love the genre. The combat was the worst part of BI because there was no thought to it at all. It was basically a run and gun shooter with "some on rails" areas to make it more interesting. No specific ammo for thinking critically like Bioshock one, no real thought to exploration for new weapons making them not really that exciting to use when you first get them, and the enemies were boring as hell to shoot at. However, this is an opinion... so what do you care :D

Zeliard

:/

Well, interested to see what it'll be like, but that sounds disappointing. The combat is the game. There is no interesting interaction, skill testing mechanics, or play to the rest of it, but I suppose they will introduce new elements to accommodate this new approach. I can't shake the feeling that this was done to address the people who they shouldn't be interested in addressing in the first place- the post-shooter audience.

I enjoy experimental DLC. Fallout New Vegas did this very well, using the DLC concept as an excuse to try some stuff out they didn't do in the main game.

Erm, I really liked the openness of the combat in Infinite.

Remember though that this is Rapture, and as such won't feature one of the main things that made Infinite's combat arenas so generally fun and freeing in movement - the Skylines.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Agreed wholeheartedly with this post. As someone who plays a lot of FPS I loved the amount of verticality, maneuverability, and room for improvisation in Infinite.

traveler

Not Wario
I enjoy experimental DLC. Fallout New Vegas did this very well, using the DLC concept as an excuse to try some stuff out they didn't do in the main game.

Remember though that this is Rapture, and as such won't feature one of the main things that made Infinite's combat arenas so generally fun and freeing in movement - the Skylines.

Yeah, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope it's something different yet still good, but the previous BioShock games are nothing without their combat. There needs to be a drastic changeup in the rest of the game to make this even work.

Well, the gunplay by itself was mediocre at best.

However, the gunplay, mixed with vigors (traps and the combination mechanic as well) and the sky rail system made combat far more exciting and enthralling to me.

Erm, I really liked the openness of the combat in Infinite.

Yeah, I feel like there's something wrong with me. I thought the combat in Infinite was great and Clash in the Clouds did a great job of highlighting it, it's up there with vanquish when it comes to shooters I enjoyed this gen.

I'm not dissing it because I'm rah rah gunplay, I'm dissing it because the gunplay was all there was to Infinite and without it, what's left?

How was it any different than something like TLoU/any other game outside the fact Elizabeth would interact with different things in the environment? It still had exploration and atmosphere, I'm guessing Burial at Sea will greatly expand on this. What should they include to make it more than a Disney ride? Create pushing puzzles?

Awesome... IF they're actually able to design non combat gameplay within the environments. I don't wanna just look at stuff, let me do some stuff.

Can't understand why people have an issue with the combat. The $5 horde mode DLC is awesome.

There's a difference between disliking the mechanics of the combat itself and disliking how they were implemented within the larger game. I thought the gunplay of Infinite was fine, but I found it obnoxious how the game had hard transitions between exploration segments and battle segments and found it detrimental to the experience as a whole.

afoni

Banned
Bioshock isn't the type of game that relies on any other mechanics other than exploring and interacting with characters, but I don't think that's enough.

If it's well written and interesting enough, there's no reason to believe it won't be enough. I believe that Ken and his posse know what they're doing, so I'd imagine they're not just pandering to fan opinion blindly. I expect they've taken criticisms for Infinite on board, created something based on those criticisms and tried to make it work instead of just making a Frankenstein-esque monster from what the fans thought of their game.

I look forward to it.

ElfArmy177

Do you even play videogames? Honest question.

Most gamers ageee that the combat was really well done, although there was too much of it.

I own every single system current system, I play everything from old games over and over such as Symphony of the night and Kings field, to everything recent.. including World of warcraft (2 90's), Guild Wars 2, In a beta for a game that starts with Wild and ends with R, Diablo 1-3, Torchlight 1-2, Warframe, Battlefield 3, (not really a fan of COD 4-BO2 anymore but played the hell out of them), Skyrim, Zelda, Mario, GTA.. all of the assassins creed games.. and a shit ton more.

I have emulators on my phone, Dolphin installed on my PC, 162 games on steam. I loved Bioshock 1 and 2, just beat Dishonored, have Thief preordered (similar style games).

Both PS4 and Xbox One preordered, including 2 games for each system... I even purchased BRINK.. and PLAYED IT

I live for videogames, play everything including indie games.. Yes... I play videogames.

Edit: oh yea forgot to add Dark souls, and Demons souls Borderlands 2... oh yea and I actually beat ALIENS: CM.. terrible game but I had to finish it.

http://www.xboxgamertag.com/search/stealth-x-hawk/ weird it says 0 games completed though lol cause I know I have.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966295563

heckfu

Banned
It seems I'm in the clear minority, but I thought the combat wasn't terrible at all in BI. Weapons were a little OP or underpowered extremely, but it was a ton of fun at times.

Marjar

Banned
Well, the gunplay by itself was mediocre at best.

However, the gunplay, mixed with vigors (traps and the combination mechanic as well) and the sky rail system made combat far more exciting and enthralling to me.

Well yeah, exactly, that's my point. You're supposed to be spamming Vigors like crazy along with all the shooting. Relying on just guns is missing the point.

Sorian

Banned
I think a lot of people are reading this as the first DLC (Booker half) will have no combat while the second DLC (Liz half) will have combat.

I'm not reading it that way, look at the quote again. Doesn't it sound like he is exclusively talking about the first DLC (Booker half) and half of that DLC will feature no combat?

(Meaning, with both parts combined, a quarter of the experience will be completely combat free)

Well yeah, exactly, that's my point. You're supposed to be spamming Vigors like crazy along with all the shooting. Relying on just guns is missing the point.

True.

Although, I think I could've gone through the campaign using the hand cannon and still had a blast.

Loved that thing.

Hand cannon/Shotgun combo > *

Also, he did specify the first half of the first DLC. So many just a couple hours of...IDK, lot of interesting NPC interactions and clicking on shiny things.

This is great news. People suggesting that it might as well be a movie since it has no combat are absolutely ridiculous.

Play more games.

That aren't COD.

Sorian

Banned
True.

Although, I think I could've gone through the campaign using the hand cannon and still had a blast.

Loved that thing.

I c wut u did ther.

Anyway, I'm excited for this DLC. Hoping that they will really acknowledge the fact that Booker is working as a PI and, as such, there will be a lot of clue gathering and figuring out where to head on your own (and none of that "collect enough pieces of evidence and the game will pop up with a huge objective saying GO TO FONTAINE'S HIDEOUT AT MEMORIAL GARDENS."

This is great news. People suggesting that it might as well be a movie since it has no combat are absolutely ridiculous.

Play more games.

image.php

:D

Hindle

Banned
I'd like some awesome puzzles to solve to go along with the exploration. Different ways to approach each objective? Basically the kind of gameplay Irrational used to do.

Nokterian

Good that's what i liked also in the original Bioshock,you had exploration and interaction with fighting but not to mutch i like doing all that stuff.

Anybody who disliked the combat obviously never rode the sky hook around the board walk area while shooting rockets down at motorized patriots with the playstation move. Infinite is a fucking blast.

Top Bottom