• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Aerocrane

Edit - Oh I see it now, this is a Cherry 1800 layout. This is actually really nice, it should only be like an inch longer than your standard TKL layout while keeping the entire numpad... I might buy one of these for the collection, dang. When did this come out?

FC980C came out in November of last year.

It would be nice if there's a Filco with PBT Doubleshot Keycaps :/

PBT doubleshot keycaps are hard to find in the first place. Leopold are refreshing their current lineup with doubleshot PBT keycaps and it has taken them months to roll them out. If they ever start selling them separately, they could be a good option.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The FC980C is also made in Topre's Sagamihara plant in Japan unlike the FC660C so that's nice. I've heard of some inconsistencies with FC660C that might've been oversights by lesser QA,

My Corsair MX Cherry Silent keyboard, with or without added O-rings, is quieter than my Logitech G15 membrane keyboard. Totally worthwhile upgrade. Feels good to finally be in the land of mechanical keyboards.

Wallach

I think I'm going to go with the FC980C guys, thanks. It seems like a good mix.

I honestly might not be far behind you on that, looks like an absolute gem of a keyboard. I just wish ANSI would take up the HHKB style Delete / Backspace and drop the terribly placed Backspace pipe location.

F34R

My Corsair MX Cherry Silent keyboard, with or without added O-rings, is quieter than my Logitech G15 membrane keyboard. Totally worthwhile upgrade. Feels good to finally be in the land of mechanical keyboards.

That's what I've been using for one PC, and now two at home PC's. lol Love it.

Wallach

I'm looking into getting a new keyboard, and this PC Gamer article stood out to me. Anyone have any recommendations or experiences from that list? The "Patriot Viper V770" stood out to me in particular.

To be straight with you, I have a hard time understanding how you really make a keyboard more suitable for gaming by making it larger and adding more keys. These macro keys all look like pretty hard reaches compared to your hand position while playing a game, where you are focused on your primary keys - the ones that actually matter.

What you should probably just focus on is switch type, overall build quality, keyboard size and maybe whether you really want RGB / backlighting for your keycaps. A lot of keyboards are going to fall into the ideal space depending on what you want in these answers.

For me personally, I'd toss RGB / backlighting because it tends to compromise keycap quality and is just generally ugly, but this one is mostly an aesthetic choice. Switch type, I think your best bet is in the 45g category, so either a uniform Topre, Cherry MX Red or Cherry MX Brown; if you've never used a linear switch I might lean towards Cherry MX Brown. Cherry MX Blue doesn't suit as well to gaming purposes in my opinion but I guess some people get on with them. Build quality and keyboard size are the areas where you have the biggest questions to answer I think - for me I am almost always going to want to use the smallest keyboard possible for gaming to give my mouse the largest amount of surface as possible and to bring my mouse arm more comfortably closer to my keyboard arm.

So I guess my advice for a keyboard suited mainly for gaming would be to dump just about anything that has a numpad where smaller is better (though really that FC980C we were talking about the other day is about the size of a tenkeyless and would be an option in my eyes), runs your preferred variety of 45g switch, and then focus on build & keycap quality. I actually have had the best time gaming on my HHKBP2 or FC660C just due to the size and quality feel, but there are plenty of Cherry based 'boards in similar profiles (there's an FC660M or 60% stuff like the Pok3r). There are also plenty of decent tenkeyless options if you really want to pick up something with RGB / backlighting or just want a more standard layout outside of gaming - CoolerMaster, Ducky, Rosewill all have pretty good options on that front. Generally though I'd probably just avoid anything that has to tell you it was made for "gaming", it's still a keyboard first.

Personally the best gaming keyboard for me is my choc mini. Getting use to the inline F keys as well as them not being offset or separated from the rest of the keys has made it so I can't use other form factors now. That extra row of easily reachable keys have made it so I don't need as many alt keys in mmos.

But yeah, there is nothing gaming about backlighting or fancy fonts, it's all about having available keys and a layout you like and then just picking the switch type that fits you. Most of the "gaming" keyboards I've seen do provide some separated macro keys, but makes them awkward to reach/use.

I use an FC600C daily too over my numerous other (Cherry MX) keyboards.
There's simply no Cherry MX switch (stock) that can compare to Topre in my opinion.

You can find them easily on eBay with the seller "widebasket".
I grabbed an 87U earlier in the year having used Cherry MX Browns and Reds prior and it's been a joy. Especially with the larger keys, as I've been using Filco boards prior but I've never quite liked the feel of Costar stabilizers.

Wallach

I grabbed an 87U earlier in the year having used Cherry MX Browns and Reds prior and it's been a joy. Especially with the larger keys, as I've been using Filco boards prior but I've never quite liked the feel of Costar stabilizers.

Same here, I can't stand the feel of those stabilizers. Turned me off most all Cherry TKLs that I otherwise liked, like my old Filcos.

Who makes the best basic (but not TKL) mechanical keyboard? Backlighting and extra features are not required.

I still want high quality, just basic. I use browns at home on my gaming PC, but for this I'm thinking about blues or greens (it's for my work PC).

Water

Who makes the best basic (but not TKL) mechanical keyboard? Backlighting and extra features are not required.

I still want high quality, just basic. I use browns at home on my gaming PC, but for this I'm thinking about blues or greens (it's for my work PC).
You want the noisier switches for your work keyboard? Usually it's the other way around..
Leopold, WASD, IKBC should be high quality picks. Filco used to be the best, and my Filco has worked flawlessly for 7ish years, but based on what I've read I would expect the others to be even better now.

Sepultura

Guys, can anyone tell me which keyboard this is? Really like the minimalistic look, don’t care much if its not mechanical but looks like this would be the best place to ask.

8ae81754-c67d-49da-a27u4c.jpeg

I think that's a Vortex Pok3r, I think that style of keyboard is called 60% or is it 60 key or both? I forget :) They are super compact and can take some getting used to. Vortex also have a smaller one called the Core and other companies have a 60 key model too.

Errr, i know this will sound silly, but is there a way to "harden" the keystroke ?

I bought a K95 platnium with mx speed and i can BARELY touch the keys and they acknowledge as input. Im getting a lot of false positivies just by resting my palm on the rest.

:/

Water

Errr, i know this will sound silly, but is there a way to "harden" the keystroke ?

I bought a K95 platnium with mx speed and i can BARELY touch the keys and they acknowledge as input. Im getting a lot of false positivies just by resting my palm on the rest.

:/
When I got my variable weight Topre, I had the same problem (the lightest switches on it are 35g, lighter than MX Speed) and thought I had wasted my $300. I shelved the keyboard for a month, tried again and on the second time I learned how to float my fingers on the keys. Now I consider it my best keyboard for typing. Useless for gaming though.

I'm not aware of a way to add resistance to a Cherry switch other than swapping the switches whole, which is expensive and I think typically a solder job.

MoogleMan

I legit don't think the USB port on my IKBC will survive the year.

Did you contact ikbc? I'd see what they say. If it's out of warranty, soldering on a cable is dirt easy.

That sucks either way. I don't like detachable cables for that reason. Even worse, most companies that use detachable cables use microusb. Not a very robust connector...

Blitzhex

Long term gateron switch report: after 2 years of regular gaming use, I don't even type essays or documents, some of my gateron switches have died after being flaky for a few months.

As nice as gateron switches feel, I'm going to stick to cherry mx for reliability.

Dargor

Sup guys, need some help here with choosing a keyboard.

Right now I'm between these 3, they are similarly priced and I'd like to know your opinion on which one is the best.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth, Model: RZ03-00386000-R3M1

Corsair K70 Red Led Cherry MX Red, Model: CH-9101020-NA

Logitech RGB Orion Spectrum G810.

So any toughts on these? If you guys have any suggestions, it doesn't need to be one of these 3.

Water

So any toughts on these? If you guys have any suggestions, it doesn't need to be one of these 3.
Unless you're sure you need a numeric keypad, I recommend getting a keyboard without it because it's ergonomically much better to have a less wide KB and have the mouse closer.

Out of those 3 I'd prefer the Logitech over Corsair, would never buy a Razer due to poor physical quality as well as drivers that require an internet connection and Razer account.

Dargor

Unless you're sure you need a numeric keypad, I recommend getting a keyboard without it because it's ergonomically much better to have a less wide KB and have the mouse closer.

Out of those 3 I'd prefer the Logitech over Corsair, would never buy a Razer due to poor physical quality as well as drivers that require an internet connection and Razer account.

Thanks, I think the numeric keypad is a must for me, so...

But you said "out of these 3", does that mean you have a keyboard that you think is better?

If so, you can tell me, I really am looking to buy the best one I can pay for lol.

MoogleMan

Sup guys, need some help here with choosing a keyboard.

Right now I'm between these 3, they are similarly priced and I'd like to know your opinion on which one is the best.

Gonna plug the ikbc f108 again. Best keyboard I've used out of several.
Solid build quality, good rgb lighting without the need for software, doubleshot pbt keycaps come as stock, better value than the major name brands.

I linked to the mx browns since they're great all-around switches, but if you prefer mx reds or blues, those are on sale for $100.

Dargor

Gonna plug the ikbc f108 again. Best keyboard I've used out of several.
Solid build quality, good rgb lighting without the need for software, doubleshot pbt keycaps come as stock, better value than the major name brands.

I linked to the mx browns since they're great all-around switches, but if you prefer mx reds or blues, those are on sale for $100.

Unfortunately, here where I live, that one isn't available, but thanks anyway :).

41uq3QbtVCL._SX355_.jpg

I've been using the Logitech wireless Wave keyboard for over a decade. I love the hand pad at the bottom, and it is ultra ergonomic.

Is there a mechanical equivalent?

MoogleMan

Unfortunately, here where I live, that one isn't available, but thanks anyway :).

How about the coolermaster masterkeys pro L? That's another decent one. Standard keys so you can replace the keycaps when the plain abs ones wear out.

Of the 3 you posted, maybe the logitech, but it doesn't allow for keycap swaps and the romer g switches aren't for everyone. I haven't tried them but have read in reviews and seen in videos they feel like "mushy" mx browns.

Where are you located and are there any other mechanicals available to you?

Gamegeneral

I have a nice Das Professional 4.

Would have settled for a cheaper one but I like my media keys and that clicky volume wheel was too irresistable.

cwistofu

41uq3QbtVCL._SX355_.jpg

I've been using the Logitech wireless Wave keyboard for over a decade. I love the hand pad at the bottom, and it is ultra ergonomic.

Not sure if it's exactly what you want, but the G613 is a wireless mechanical keyboard from Logitech that is currently $70 at Best Buy on sale.

Water

41uq3QbtVCL._SX355_.jpg

There's no mechanical keyboard that has just a slight curve, but there are better, more extreme ergonomic designs like the Ergodox, Kinesis Advantage, TECK (seems to be out of stock, dunno if it's in production). None are wireless, but with this kind of ergonomics you're going to be using it on a desk anyway, so it hardly matters if there's a USB cable.
You can use a wrist rest with any keyboard.

Dargor

How about the coolermaster masterkeys pro L? That's another decent one. Standard keys so you can replace the keycaps when the plain abs ones wear out.

Of the 3 you posted, maybe the logitech, but it doesn't allow for keycap swaps and the romer g switches aren't for everyone. I haven't tried them but have read in reviews and seen in videos they feel like "mushy" mx browns.

Where are you located and are there any other mechanicals available to you?

Yes, there are, I'm gonna post some that have similar prices, for example:

Gigabyte Aorus Thunder K7 Blue Led Cherry MX Red

RIOTORO GHOSTWRITER Black CHERRY MX RGB

Thermaltake TT Sports Poseidon Z RGB Brow Axis

Cougar 700k Cherry Red

And there are more, but they are either cheaper or way more expensive. Thanks for the help.

Water

Anybody has the Logitech G Pro TKL and can share some opinions?

I have the G410 which is pretty much the same tech, and my student recently bought the G Pro so I handled it a bit. For my personal preferences, the G Pro is the absolute best gaming keyboard available today. Romer-G switches, compact, clean look, backlit, detachable cable. Due to the switches it's not the best for heavy prolonged typing work, but adequate. If you want a different compromise with great typing and merely good gaming experience, I recommend something with MX Browns instead. If you are into swapping keycaps, can't do it on Logitech boards / Romer-G's, but I don't care when I like the stock keycaps already.

I spilled water on my keyboard yesterday and now it's dead. Keys aren't pressing and don't register. I'm super bummed out, bought it on a discount by signing up for the Amazon credit credit card and got it for half price, but it's almost 3 and could have lasted for many more years.

Time to find a replacement. I wonder if Black Friday meant any deals for mechanicals. I'll probably get another with cherry blues.

I just ordered my first mechanical keyboard (since the 80s): A MasterKeys Pro S Mechanical with Cherry MX Red Switches.
Time to retire my G15 and while I'm gonna miss that LCD screen, I'm not gonna miss the bulky size.

I also ordered a MasterKeys Lite L membrane keyboard (combo with mouse) but that's for my non gaming PC.

Koren

There's no mechanical keyboard that has just a slight curve, but there are better, more extreme ergonomic designs like the Ergodox, Kinesis Advantage, TECK (seems to be out of stock, dunno if it's in production).
I'm a bit late (I missed the post) but... I'm an Ergodox supporter (especially EZ), even if there's plently of small issues, but I have a Wave and I really like it. I'm not alone in that, for example the guy behind the Axios (Ergodox improvement) also own a Wave, I think.

The main thing is not the visible curve, it's the fact that keys have different heights, something that Ergodox and Truly-Ergonomic (which I think is defunct, but not sure) unfortunately don't have (Kinesis. It's not perfect, but if you want to stay on a staggered layout, it's a pretty damn decent solution.

As for the original question, I doubt it has a mechanical equivalent, it require full custom keycaps, so it's quite expensive to manufacture for a really small market. :/

Can anyone recommend a keyboard for my non usb retro pc?

Need
87 key TKL
PS/2 (or AT connector)

Prefer
White or at least decent visibility in a darkened room.
Mechanical, but would take a membrane keyboard if I can't find anything else.

Basically a Model M SSK would be almost perfect except I would prefer a smaller bezel due to desk space. I can't afford one anyways, but it one fell from the sky I would make it work.

Thadeousc

I love my Logitech G613, wireless with dual radio. The Logitech Pro line is crazy good too. Full disclosure my company is now owned by Logitech but I was using that gear before they brought us.

Top Bottom