• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG 4K OLED TV Reviews: The Best TV Ever Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

lg-65ec9700-set-970x0.jpg

LG-65EC9700-White-Balance.jpg

It’s a lot better. Nothing else comes close, not even LG”s own 55EC9300 1080p OLED, which is itself a highly impressive television. What does it for us is the scale of the TV — 65-inches is better than 55-inches, especially for 4K UHD — the incredible resolution, a top-notch resolution upscaler, perfect black levels, insane contrast, eye-dazzling color, and class-leading WebOS smart TV interface.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/lg-65ec9700-4k-uhd-oled-hands-on-video/

In tech reviewing it's easy to throw around superlatives, crowning every brand-new technology as "groundbreaking" or "earth-shattering" when it is little more than a logical step forward in a well-trod category.

In the case of 4K OLED televisions like the EC9700, the superlatives are truly deserved. Hollow words like "incredible" unquestionably apply, because it is difficult to believe that a television can adopt all the best traits of the newest LCDs and dearly departed plasmas with so few drawbacks.
http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/lg-65ec9700-4k-oled-tv-review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9zd-hARKU&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5X-_E55vo

I want this

Fargo_Dog

Banned
I'm glad OLED is still being pushed, as ever since plasma died out I've never been quite satisfied with LED TV's for films. Unfortunately, the prices are still utterly ridiculous. Even a 1080p OLED set is priced above all but the highest end LEDs and there's no way you're convincing the average consumer that price is worth it. I've been trying to find one of the last model Panasonic Plasmas with absolutely no luck and there's no way in hell I can afford an OLED at their current price point.

I just want my deep, inky blacks damn it!

Wow, that thing's beautiful. Then again, it'd better be for $12,000.

There's no way I'd pay that much for a TV. It'd be a waste of money, especially given how newer and better tech comes out annually.

I spent $2800 on my TV back in 2006 or 2007, but will likely just stay around $700-1200 for my next one.

I'm glad we have LG in the industry. I never expected them to inherit the image quality torch, especially not by investment in risky and cutting edge tech.

Curved? I don't know if I would like that.

Go to your local Best Buy or a place similar and stand in front of their 78" Samsung curve. You can be 15 feet to the left or right and still feel like you are the focal point. It really feels wierd, you gotta try it.

If I had 12k I'd buy it.

bionic77

I believe this.

I was comparing different tvs before settling on a 1080P Samsung (the 4K LED tvs did not really impress me) but nothing really stood out except the LG OLED. And that was just the 1080P tv. Everything else looked like total garbage next to it. I believe the 55" OLED @ 1080p was close to $4k. I did not not want to spend that much on a tv and did not want a first gen experience, but if it ever gets under $2k and they have larger screens I will be all over it.

I really hope this tech becomes mainstream.

I am not sure it will. Most people don't seem to give a fuck about picture quality.

Is OLED burn in still a thing?

It most definitely is. This is why I don't know if an OLED tv will ever make sense, because not only does OLED suffer due to burns, but it also simply degrades over time. Due to the nature of OLED, being organic, it will apparently always suffer from this problem.

My Galaxy SIII burned really bad, and then just completely crapped out eventually, the display that is.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The $10,000 1080p model was fucking beautiful when I saw it in person. Gorgeous. The blacks are INSANE. It's like the damn thing is turned off.

And Microcenter had it for $2,000 on sale for a short while. If I could snag this for $4,000, I'd buy it. I'd by it in a second.

Hiko

Banned
I saw the LG OLED at Best Buy and it's the best thing I've ever seen. The black levels and contrast are absurd. There was a Samsung F8500 plasma nearby and it looked like shit in comparison. Will definitely get OLED for my next TV.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What is the input lag like on these things? I love good PQ, but it's interesting to me how everything with sound and picture is usually geared around movies and the home-theater experience. I get that it's a huge market but I just don't care about movies and pretending I'm in a theater. Just use my TV for gaming, sports, and shows for the kids.

can't wait til CES to see their 2015 lineup of OLEDs.

this $12k model will be $5k in 6 months if the pricing of their other OLEDs is anything to go by.

edit: $8500 at Cleveland Plasma.

Prologue

It most definitely is. This is why I don't know if an OLED tv will ever make sense, because not only does OLED suffer due to burns, but it also simply degrades over time. Due to the nature of OLED, being organic, it will apparently always suffer from this problem.

My Galaxy SIII burned really bad, and then just completely crapped out eventually, the display that is.

How long are we taking here for oled tvs when it comes to degrading over time? TVs are a decade investment.

Does it do 120hz?

Internally probably (interpolation and maybe a strobing mode), there is no connection that will do 4k@120Hz yet (HDMI 2.0 will not do it, DP 1.3 will) and there are no TCONs that will do it either. It will likely be a long time till we get true 4k@120Hz on a TV.

Same thing happens with Plasma TVs, granted Plasma have (had) evolved to the point where the half life was over 50,000 hours. The blue OLED has fairly short half life ~12,000 hours. That 12,000 hours is quite an accomplishment compared to where blue OLEDs where a decade ago. Given time it is very likely that the half life of blue OLEDs will continue to increase. Increasing the half-life of all the colors also significantly decreases the problem of burn in. OLEDs are the future for high end TVs, Quantum Dot will be the future for LCDs.

golem

Cant wait till these hit a reasonable price.. hopefully LG will stick with OLED long enough for that to happen

DAI and ACU look bananas on my Sony 4k LCD

ss_lemonade

Whenever I read things like this, sometimes I wonder if I own some super special phone. I've had my S3 since the thing came out and got no burn in problems whatsoever. My vita has zero burn in issues and that has an oled screen too

Once the M2 sets start popping out and flat ones early next year, I'm in for a 65.

Ideally, a 70 inch model would be perfect but 65 will do! Can't wait to finally replace my Kuro. Been too long :(

How long are we taking here for oled tvs when it comes to degrading over time? TVs are a decade investment.

Its tough to say. As the other chap mentioned OLED has a very crap half life compared to Plasma, but Plasma has been around for longer.

My SIII lasted less than 2 years, and it is common for the Galaxy OLED phones to only last around this long. It suffered extreme burn quite easily, like I said, this is common in even the latest OLED Samsung panels. The latest Galaxy uses software to stop Burn from happening so soon. So, if you use your TV as a computer where there are many static images, I think and OLED panel is not a good idea. You can realistically expect to encounter problems within a few years.

The unreliability of the tech is too much given how expensive it is. One thing to get a tablet or OLED phone. Anyway. supposedly the latest LCD/LED tech will eventually lead to LEDS with similar perfect contrast and blacks like OLED.

I would LOVE a tv with a contrast profile of an OLED tv. Problem with Plasmas is, I like moving around my super light 55 LED back and forth across my room, you cannot do this with the fat plasmas.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
12k but <4k within a year.

I wouldn't buy anything else if looking for a set that size..all other techs are a waste of money at this point unless buying at the very bottom price point. Even the 9300 makes the highly priced 4k sets around it at the showrooms look like visual crap. This beast is just on another level.

Speevy

Banned
If someone gave this TV to you with two stipulations:

1) You couldn't sell it.
2) You had to put it in a living room that was small enough to make it look absolutely ridiculous.

Would you keep it or give it back?

Whenever I read things like this, sometimes I wonder if I own some super special phone. I've had my S3 since the thing came out and got no burn in problems whatsoever. My vita has zero burn in issues and that has an oled screen too

I have an OLED vita as well, the thing is a beaut. But, its not like we play them that much, right? Phones and tvs tend to be left on.

The length of time a galaxy phone lives before suffering these issues doesn't appear to have a rhyme. Hopefully it will keep chugging along for you.

RS4-

If someone gave this TV to you with two stipulations:

1) You couldn't sell it.
2) You had to put it in a living room that was small enough to make it look absolutely ridiculous.

Would you keep it or give it back?

Hell, I'd mount it on the ceiling if I could keep it.

Obviously this is not affordable right now but it makes me excited for the future of displays. It's clearly amazing and as long as it takes off, it will be the new standard in a few (many) years and will make just about every single TV today look like a pile of shit.

I'm excited to get one
in 2030 when I can afford one.

Although I'm still waiting for manufacturers to start using the new 4K color gamut standards.

What if you put 3 of those together and ran it on some absurd rig. With the curve they'd almost surround you.

By the way, THIS is the fucking remote to this incredibly expensive super TV:

lg-2014-magic-remote.jpg

Are you serious? This thing should be like a fucking 10" OLED tablet looking thing that you can watch TV from as well use as remote.

Jigolo

Obviously this is not affordable right now but it makes me excited for the future of displays. It's clearly amazing and as long as it takes off, it will be the new standard in a few (many) years and will make just about every single TV today look like a pile of shit.

I'm excited to get one
in 2030 when I can afford one.

Although I'm still waiting for manufacturers to start using the new 4K color gamut standards.
More like 2016-2017 if you're being realistic. Production for OLED is ramping up big time and by those years I'm sure you'll find BF on 2017 for doorbuster deals you're finding now. ~$1000

It's the next step. Plasma > LCD > LED LCD > OLED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom