• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG Cinema 3D LED TVs, does they work with PS3 in 3D?

Hi, I saw a LG TV 47LW5700 on a local store and I was pretty impressed with the 3D effect and the cheapness of the glasses.

I'm thinking in buying one, but I asked the guy if it would work with the PS3 3D capabilities, and he said it does but he did not seem convinced about it.

So, does any gaffer have a LG Cinema 3D TV and can tell me if they work with PS3 games in 3D (like Killzone 3) and 3D movies using the PS3 as player?

Levyne

Banned
Personally, I've not seen any good demo's when they use the passive glasses, this is one of those, right?

Edit: Sony uses all active 3D tech so actually I'm not sure.

Raistlin

Yes, they work. PS3 uses standardized I/O protocols for its 3D, and all modern 3D displays (HDMI 1.4) support these standards regardless of the underlying tech (active, passive, etc).

Just keep in mind the pros and cons of passive 3D.

gzero

I have a 47LW5600 and it works great with the PS3 in 3D for both games and Blu-Ray movies. The TV also has a built-in DNLA client that supports pretty much any format you throw at it (incl. 3D side-by-side encoded MKV files).

Rhindle

I'd steer clear of passive 3D if you're going to be using the set for gaming. The loss in resolution and increased ghosting just aren't acceptable.

For 3D movies though, passive 3D is actually pretty nice. From what I've seen you get greater image depth, and image brightness takes less of a hit.

loss... in resolution? you mean like a lower resolution if you activate the 3d in a game (for both images, 640x720 each) or does it actually lower the resolution on 1080p 3d content like blu-ray movies?

gzero

Each eye effectively gets a 1920x540 image with current passive 3D technology. It doesn't look as bad as it sounds though, unless you close one eye. This applies to everything -- games, movies, etc.

I was looking at the LG passive 3d sets, but settled for a passive vizio set, since it was half the price. The passive 3d works fine for gaming and movies, pretty impressive overall. Socom looks awesome in 3d.

Raistlin

thuway said:
When 4k TVs become standard. The very least 3-5 years from now.
They will be available sooner, but prices should be interesting. Hell, Toshiba's 4k glasses-free (which uses dual CELL processors) will be hitting this year.

That said, there are sequential 3D passive displays hitting early next year. Basically the shuttering is done by the TV. That means 1080p 3D on a 1080p display.

^ can't wait for 4K.

gzero said:
Each eye effectively gets a 1920x540 image with current passive 3D technology. It doesn't look as bad as it sounds though, unless you close one eye. This applies to everything -- games, movies, etc.
nah, it looks kinda bad bro. the lack of vertical lines is VERY apparent.

Raistlin

Dreams-Visions said:
^ can't wait for 4K.

nah, it looks kinda bad bro. the lack of vertical lines is VERY apparent.
Let's hope the interlacing isn't nearly as obvious at 4k

Top Bottom