• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG Got So Good at Preventing Burn-In, It's Making Your Next OLED TV 30% Brighter. Here's How.

Boss Man

OLED is beautiful but weird to research.

Professional (and trusted) tech reviewers:
We tested LG’s latest OLED display for 18 months in the most insane conditions possible and there’s zero burn-in.

Everyone who owns the TV:
Yeah mine has burn-in even though I set alarms on my phone to turn the TV off every hour.

AGRacing

C9. Still zero burn in. Yes I'm looking for it.

Edit :

I live in a cold climate (generally). Still have AC when it gets hot. I wonder if these burn in folks live in hotter climates?

It's about 70 degrees in my house (sometimes less in winter). Keep it at 75 or lower most of summer.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

We tested LG’s latest OLED display for 18 months in the most insane conditions possible and there’s zero burn-in.

Yeah mine has burn-in even though I set alarms on my phone to turn the TV off every hour.
Most people with burn in seem to have the C/B/E6-7. This guy has a 2015 model before they even started that naming convention back in 2016 and has no burn in.

REDRZA MWS

Nah. I been an owner of 3 modes of LG OLED TV’s. E7P, C8, and now a GX. No burn in issues whatsoever.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was the 6 and 7 series that got burn in the most sadly. I even had a friend who had the destiny hud burnt into his and he didn’t play ungodly amounts. Luckily he had a 5 year guarantee which the retailer honoured and gave him a CX in exchange.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

More like lg so scared of qd-oled they've ran the risk of increasing the brightnes
Scared of something that costs 7 times as much and is only available in two sizes. Even Samsung know QD-OLED isn't where it needs to be right now which is why they bought WRGB OLEDs from LG last year.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I didn't had burn in on an old lg 910v oled tv used as a pc monitor, so they always knew the secret formula.

Reactions: LQX

khakimzhan

When I hear ppl say that they own CX/C1 and they have zero burn-in issue - I am getting little bit irritated, cause these are the 2020-2021 models. I think it is too soon to speak of burn-in when we speak of year or two years models

TrueLegend

I like how in case of both Apple CPUs and LG OLED things can be downplayed when someone like me says out the truth, but when they are talked about as feature few years later everyone chimes in. Its almost laughable. I have said many time OLED lacks color volume but now with QD-OLED somehow its a feature. So all of a sudden the previous OLED matrix became bad in color reproduction and is talked about everywhere. People are idiotic giving this guy attention without context. Vincent has a full-on tie-in with LG for years. This guy is a pure shill for LG. I am not saying LG displays are bad I am saying this guy will downplay the flaws of current technologies just like he did with previous technologies innovated by LG and people like OP will keep creating overhype train.

Kuranghi

I like how in case of both Apple CPUs and LG OLED things can be downplayed when someone like me says out the truth, but when they are talked about as feature few years later everyone chimes in. Its almost laughable. I have said many time OLED lacks color volume but now with QD-OLED somehow its a feature. So all of a sudden the previous OLED matrix became bad in color reproduction and is talked about everywhere. People are idiotic giving this guy attention without context. Vincent has a full-on tie-in with LG for years. This guy is a pure shill for LG. I am not saying LG displays are bad I am saying this guy will downplay the flaws of current technologies just like he did with previous technologies innovated by LG and people like OP will keep creating overhype train.

Man Lucky Goldstar are really wasting their money then since he consistently espouses that Sony is better in most areas than LG. He'll very often say "LG has gotten better at <X> thing this year... but Sony is still better at it". LG has gotten better in recent years imo, but I would still recommend a Sony if money isn't a concern.

How is that not the worst shilling for LG ever?

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Man Lucky Goldstar are really wasting their money then since he consistently espouses that Sony is better in most areas than LG. He'll very often say "LG has gotten better at <X> thing this year... but Sony is still better at it". LG has gotten better in recent years imo, but I would still recommend a Sony if money isn't a concern.

How is that the worst shilling for LG ever?
Well Sony TVs are the best so he will say so but he is always late to all that. Digital Trends and even LTT are always ahead to him when it comes to other companies. With LG he has strong ties. Just like Jay2Cents had ties with Nvidia, it's well known my dude. So me calling him shill has some substantiation to it.

And him saying Sony does is better is nothing because that's all Sony does. They use LG panels and then calibrate it with their color science through engineering usually amping it up with cooling. Its just like Nikon DSLRs, Nikon uses Sony lens but have better color science in their camera because that's the only thing they do. Just like Apple calibrating Samsung OLED. Point is him stating the obvious ten times don't get him out of the ropes of him being in bed with LG often downplaying flaws in LG Products. Watch his Sony pieces they have more robust Pros and Cons then watch his LG pieces you will get the idea.

ZywyPL

Banned

Maybe he's not downplaying stuff that's currently the best what money can buy? Honestly, what did you expected from him (or other reviewers for the matter) - to go out and shout "DON'T BUY OLEDS PEOPLE, THEY SUCK DICK! GO GET AN LCD THAT SUCKS EVEN HARDER INSTEAD!"...Especially when the consumers aren't dumb or bling and whenever they walk into a store they see well the staggering difference between even the cheapest OLED and an LCD.

The devastating majority of people buys a new TV once every 10 years at very least, so if you walk into the store today, you get the best there is and you just enjoy it, instead of waiting and waiting and waiting for some imaginary perfect display that might never show up. Today QD-OLED is the newest hot tech, the new best, but somewhere down the line there will be something better that that as well, then there's gonna be MicroLED somewhere in the future, and then a new even better stuff after that, and so on and so on, that's just how the market works. So just enjoy what you can get today instead of desperately downplaying/nitpicking while not being able to show any better alternative.

Scared of something that costs 7 times as much and is only available in two sizes. Even Samsung know QD-OLED isn't where it needs to be right now which is why they bought WRGB OLEDs from LG last year.
The plan is not staying at that price, so LG needs to counter it. Fact.

I'm sure they did improvements and all that, but from the beginning they could always do 30% more brightness if they wanted. Sometimes the issue is how much that would cost them and if they really need to.

For as long as they had the Kodak patent portfolio and no-one could "touch" them they weren't exactly trying to push the envelope so the fact they are more forthcoming now (instead of just focusing on making the cost per panel cheaper) is quite telling that they need to have a say against Samsung. These changes are not changes that strive for cheaper, they strive for better.

That's good, and I'm 100% sure that if LG didn't own the only viable tech for TV OLED for the last 7 years, OLED's would be better today. LG OLED's inclusively. And their margins would be lower. (they wouldn't be free of burn-in though)

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Maybe he's not downplaying stuff that's currently the best what money can buy? Honestly, what did you expected from him (or other reviewers for the matter) - to go out and shout "DON'T BUY OLEDS PEOPLE, THEY SUCK DICK! GO GET AN LCD THAT SUCKS EVEN HARDER INSTEAD!"...Especially when the consumers aren't dumb or bling and whenever they walk into a store they see well the staggering difference between even the cheapest OLED and an LCD.

The devastating majority of people buys a new TV once every 10 years at very least, so if you walk into the store today, you get the best there is and you just enjoy it, instead of waiting and waiting and waiting for some imaginary perfect display that might never show up. Today QD-OLED is the newest hot tech, the new best, but somewhere down the line there will be something better that that as well, then there's gonna be MicroLED somewhere in the future, and then a new even better stuff after that, and so on and so on, that's just how the market works. So just enjoy what you can get today instead of desperately downplaying/nitpicking while not being able to show any better alternative.
I expect anyone calling themselves reviewers to list the flaws because if anyone wants to hear only the good thing about what they are buying they the product advertisement exists for a reason. Just read what the companies say. THat would we it. Each technology has its pros and cons. Present it impartially, that's what I want. Its not about a better alternative. Its not my business to provide better alternative to everything. That being said if you want some go watch Stop the FOMO youtube channel. He does it better than vincent.

Last edited:
This is good news. But, my Samsung QLED still gets about twice as bright as these will be and has zero burn in risk. I don’t know if 30% more brightness would have made a difference in my buying decision or not, but good news regardless.

I’ll be glad when MicroLED gets cheap. QLED, OLED, etc are just transitional technologies, really.

bender

What time is it?
Maybe it won't but after my E7 got major burn in even after trying to baby it I'm done with the tech. I'll just wait for MicroLED

Same. Making the screens brighter would make me even more cautious of reinvesting in the tech.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
nice try OP i read online that all OLED tv's have burn-in and they all will explode at a certain point.
dangerous shit you should also read this article

because nobody ever posted that fucking link in an oled thread

ZywyPL

Banned
I expect anyone calling themselves reviewers to list the flaws because if anyone wants to hear only the good thing about what they are buying they the product advertisement exists for a reason. Just read what the companies say. THat would we it. Each technology has its pros and cons. Present it impartially, that's what I want. Its not about a better alternative. Its not my business to provide better alternative to everything. That being said if you want some go watch Stop the FOMO youtube channel. He does it better than vincent.

I used to watch him as well but he just didn't click on me so I unsubbed some time ago. But anyway, the bottom line is, at the end of the day everyone will set their TVs up to their own preferences, so all the measurements and setting you see on the internet are basically pointless. Because for example, you can say that now the display is 30% brighter, hence the color reproduction is so much better, ok cool, but tell that to a person who has his current TV set to 60% brightness because everything above is too bright for him. He would have to set the new one to 40% to get that same level of brightness, and with it the exact same color reproduction. So why bother? Where's the advancement? In a similar fashion, there are people who hate warm color temperature, and it doesn't matter how many times all those sites and reviewers will say that this is what the content creator intended, some people just don't like when everything that's white is yellow instead. The examples go on and on, but that's why you'll almost never see an OLED owner complaining about the picture quality, they just set the settings up to their liking and call it a day. Because honestly, how many people out there watch their TV at full brightness? That's just plain stupid, and as long as I live I haven't seen a single person doing so. People push the brightness as far until they eyes start to hurt, and brighter panels will just reach that point sooner, without any benefits at all. But why you're right - all those guys in the media are indeed paid by the companies, because not so long ago before the HDR era they were telling us all those years that 20% brightness is the most optimal setting, the one that goes along with creators intentions, and now those same guys are trying to convince us that peak brightness is the ultimate parameter and the higher the better, sorry but I cannot believe/buy such a 180 degree narrative spin.

TrueLegend

I used to watch him as well but he just didn't click on me so I unsubbed some time ago. But anyway, the bottom line is, at the end of the day everyone will set their TVs up to their own preferences, so all the measurements and setting you see on the internet are basically pointless. Because for example, you can say that now the display is 30% brighter, hence the color reproduction is so much better, ok cool, but tell that to a person who has his current TV set to 60% brightness because everything above is too bright for him. He would have to set the new one to 40% to get that same level of brightness, and with it the exact same color reproduction. So why bother? Where's the advancement? In a similar fashion, there are people who hate warm color temperature, and it doesn't matter how many times all those sites and reviewers will say that this is what the content creator intended, some people just don't like when everything that's white is yellow instead. The examples go on and on, but that's why you'll almost never see an OLED owner complaining about the picture quality, they just set the settings up to their liking and call it a day. Because honestly, how many people out there watch their TV at full brightness? That's just plain stupid, and as long as I live I haven't seen a single person doing so. People push the brightness as far until they eyes start to hurt, and brighter panels will just reach that point sooner, without any benefits at all. But why you're right - all those guys in the media are indeed paid by the companies, because not so long ago before the HDR era they were telling us all those years that 20% brightness is the most optimal setting, the one that goes along with creators intentions, and now those same guys are trying to convince us that peak brightness is the ultimate parameter and the higher the better, sorry but I cannot believe/buy such a 180 degree narrative spin.
It's never higher the better because most content is mastered around 400 nits. Most real content is grey instead of black and OLED actually crushes greys and makes them black. OLED color volume is low due to the way color matrix was arranged and Now QD-OLED has fixed that. My biggest gripe with OLED talks is the overrated argument about Infinite black because first of all its not "Infinite" and second of all that actually works both ways i.e. White colors consume more energy on OLED. Great blacks is the most redundant garbage argument for OLED. The real advantage of OLED is in response time. 120hz OLED is better than 240hz Monitor in many cases.

But with these guys it's always about brightness and pixel-level blackness of OLED which means shit for real content. Not to mention all this marketing completely ignores how the human eye works. Human eyes are not very good at perceiving colors aka Chrominenence but are good at perceiving luminescence so you don't need luminescence going crazy logarithmically in the name of HDR because it doesn't add much beyond a certain point. So yeah I get you. However, it's not about maximum brightness setting its more about the wide color gamut and HDR. Certain colors can be seen only at a certain brightness. The maximum brightness ensures things like skies don't blow out. Only a certain part of the screen hits peak brightness in real content and that too is extremeely rare in TVs with 1000 nits peak brightness.

nice try OP i read online that all OLED tv's have burn-in and they all will explode at a certain point.
dangerous shit you should also read this article

because nobody ever posted that fucking link in an oled thread
It's not an article/experience unknown as you might suspect, but in reality and despite their best intent, it just doesn't say a lot, for or against. I suspect that's true for other people as well.

For starters, I think they should have kept one TV doing their prior test:

-> https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Which was a disaster for OLED. And one has to wonder why they didn't, because otherwise how can we compare with their own previous metric and how far the tech has come?

CNN and FIFA are the most static of the bunch, but the TV has static detection algorithms - they're designed to test regular use but they don't test 1. computer/desktop use 2. full screen static imagery for hours (like when you leave your game on pause for 3 hours, which I do a lot, I have one paused now), those are the "sent to die" oled scenarios, so they should be tested; I suspect they're the reason people have burn-in in the first place, not CNN and Fifa. (but even then, it's not a one off situation. boom, you have burn-in - have fun - but it is cumulative)

We also don't know if they purchased these TV's or if they were provided by LG for that test, as that could make the panels cherry picked or change firmware and parameters. It also doesn't tell you if all OLED panels in the market will behave similarly, just their LG C7 batch.

Yes, if you buy an OLED you'll probably be fine. Lots of people on forums have them and swear by them, that said the caveats of the tech are there and even OLED enthusiasts with deep pockets complain as seen a few months back with LTT (who used one as a desktop PC, which is a nightmare scenario for the tech). Speaking of that LTT video I showed, they go into service mode menus and tweaked it until the problem was solved, which shows that with aggressive parameters you can mitigate the problem - store mode is not a myth you know. Again, knowing if LG provided them the TV's is/would be important.

I personally can't recommend them for gaming or as a PC monitor though (and I'm not a fan of the way they render motion if the source is not high framerate/interpolated to oblivion). But that's just me.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Great blacks is the most redundant garbage argument for OLED.

But then again, that's what catches most people's immediate attention, that's what created that "WOW!" effect, and it's the consumers who dictate the direction the market takes. So now that there are many technologies out there, even LCD, that can reach those deep black levels, all the fight will move place on other areas like brightness, colors, motion handling etc. But nevertheless, I think it's safe to say there's never gonna be a one, perfect solution, there always gonna me "something" off, especially when using all sorts of testing patterns, slow-mo footage and 400% zoom-in, which have little to do with the actual real-life scenarios.

120hz OLED is better than 240hz Monitor in many cases.

True, but the drawback is terrible handling of 30FPS tho...

How is that not the worst shilling for LG ever?
Maybe Sony pays him more. It would explain why he thinks the motion is better on 2021 sony vs 2021 lg.

Honestly I don’t take anything Vincent says at face value anymore unless I myself have seen it. He’s shilled for samsung and lg as well

Honestly the only worthwhile thing I can get from his linus lite style videos anymore is when he counts the dimming zones of tvs I don’t have access to lol

Last edited:
Yes, quality control needs to improve but the non-issue of OLED burn in is nonsense - I have multiple LG C8s and C9s with no burn in.
I also have an a8h sony oled which frankly I abuse as a living room tv (because it was free lol) and I have not seen a hint of burn in.

Bad banding though which is why best buy refunded it, but I really don’t think burn in is a major issue anymore. You can still burn it in if you grind the same game over and over and over but normal use is fine.

I say that burn in is not an issue, but what can be an issue is that over time when displaying letterboxed content i.e. hdr movies, the top and bottom portions of the screen wear out at different times leading to a darker center with brighter top and bottom portions. That is one reason I prefer lcd although I have bigger reasons.

Personally I am looking forward to Sony mini led in the short term, and samsung qned (inorganic self emissive) panels long term. I’m sure Sony and others will buy these qned panels as well. Qd oled is a stop gap but hopefully it solves some of lg oled issues like uniformity.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bought one in 2018 and it got burn in a few months. I may try a new one this year and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Maybe Sony pays him more. It would explain why he thinks the motion is better on 2021 sony vs 2021 lg.

Honestly I don’t take anything Vincent says at face value anymore unless I myself have seen it. He’s shilled for samsung and lg as well

Honestly the only worthwhile thing I can get from his linus lite style videos anymore is when he counts the dimming zones of tvs I don’t have access to lol

Fair enough, you have issues with the Sony's you've owned so it goes against your experiences.

What do you mean by "linus lite" videos though? I don't understand that one.

Fair enough, you have issues with the Sony's you've owned so it goes against your experiences.

What do you mean by "linus lite" videos though? I don't understand that one.
I have really only had picture quality issues with 2021 sony sets ; x900e, 950g, a8g and a8h have all had great aspects in one way or another. As you know my favorite is still the x900e due to motion :]

I just mean he gets sponsored by these companies and that affects what he does or doesn’t say about a product. The “lite” bit is because he’s still actually knowledgeable about things and is no where near the level of shill of linus tech tips lol.

I am not trying to take anything away from Vincent, and he’s still an A+ calibrator which I am definitely not, but i’ve been kind of disappointed with his content over the past year. We all need to eat though I suppose, I don’t blame him.

G-Bus

Banned
Literally just bought a C1 yesterday. This thread had me a little worried.

Sounds like it's all good though.

Top Bottom