• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG's 2024 OLED TVs Revealed

Buggy Loop

I mean, all OLED panel types are susceptible to burn-in, but I have heard the first-gen Samsung QD-OLED panels had it pretty bad. No idea if Samsung has been working to improve on that.

The more they push nits with standard OLED tech the more burn-in risks. I feel it will stagnate a bit in coming years.

Xtib81

LG has pretty much eliminated burn in in their panels since late 201x models.

Not really, the G3 is already showing signs of burn in, just like any other LG panel they're testing.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I might add that the Sony HX310 is a studio mastering monitor, it's literally the reference display used by the people who make the movies. And it's an LCD. However it's a $20,000 LCD, which proves only that the reason consumer displays of any stripe, OLED or LCD, have flaws is because they have to be cheap. What I'm saying is if you or I were willing to pay $20,000+ for a TV, we could get the most amazing perfect TV today. But nobody is willing to pay that, so nobody makes that.

The mastering monitor is the reference to show creator's intent. The camera exposure is set to the mastering monitor's brightness. The comparison is between the G3 and X95L. One of them is falling way behind.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's inherent to the technology, so yeah.
I’ve had a chance to watch regular TV on a Sony A9 and it didn’t have the slideshow effect of the LG C9, though. And no, it didn’t have frame creation on. I wasn‘t even sure it was an OLED at first, because with the C9 I felt something was wrong from the start and I was skeptical about the fabled Sony motion. Guess there’s truth in that after all.

Bojji

Not really, the G3 is already showing signs of burn in, just like any other LG panel they're testing.

Interesting. Probably "thanks" to increased brightness.

LG tvs fare much better here than competition.

I was too far with "eliminated" word. This test is super unrealistic for standard consumers to reproduce, it will drive every OLED to burn in at some point but time to show signs of it is different on different brands.

Diddy X

Hard to choose right now, I might go for the c4 or c3 but Im afraid it maight end up being too dim so a safer bet would be g4, the QD-OLED are out of the question until they fix the burn-ins.

Kings Field

I am gonna hold out another year. My CX has been great. I used to upgrade every year. I’ve been an OLED user since the 6 series LG’s but I think I’m going Sony next time.

Imtjnotu

How is Sony motion over LG?
Hard to explain. But it's like less blocky around a fast moving objects. On my S90c it's horrible to the point I have to leave motion off completely. My C9 and C2 handle it a lot better with less artifacts

The a95k my friend has, there are no noticeable areas around an object or action scene

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Dolby Vision is highly overrated. Go watch Oppenheimer 4K UHD Blu-ray and try to tell me the HDR presentation on that film isn't one of the best ever released on the format just because it's only HDR10 so I can laugh at you.

Oppenheimer also has a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack instead of a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, why don't you also pretend Oppenheimer isn't one of the best sounding films on the format while you're at it?

The reality is, if it's good enough for Christopher Nolan, it's good enough for me.
It is not, and technically better than HDR10 (and the same as HDR10+) because it can have dynamic HDR metadata, meaning each scene in a movie can be graded to best suite the scene, rather than having to have HDR set for the whole movie.
That's the reason why HDR10+ exists, to catch up with DV. Oppenheimer could potentially look even better if DV or HDR10+ was used.

Like with BD UHD and HD-DVD (or whatever it was called), the industry needs to settle on one standard and support it for the next decade+.

Still damn happy with my C1, don't see a need to upgrade at all 😜

TV tech doesnt improve enough year over year for upgrading often to makes sense. If you're already into a C range OLED you're going to be fine for like 10 years. I intend to have my CX for many more years to come.

Tarnpanzer

Id only upgrade my CX if the brightness is at least 75% better. Until then, ill wait.

U are already in the ball park with the G3 on a 10% window.

817(CX) vs. 1,410(G3):

(see "HDR Brightness")

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I was planning for a while to pick up the C3 42" our office/entertainment area. The :"entertainment/game" area is almost finished but i will still pick up the C3 since it's now pretty cheap. I suspect the price of the C3 models will go up soon, so i need to do this purchase fast.

We have a CX in the living room, which is still good enough.

Last edited:

Ywap

It's all about BFI. Once you have gotten used to the motion handling on oled:s with BFI enabled there is no turning back.

Hopefully they'll bring 120hz BFI back 💪

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Do these support GeForce now at full 4k/120 144 resolutions because if not I ain’t buy them!

danklord

Gold Member
Every year TVs get bigger, better, and brighter. "The new brightness king" "Wow, these colors" The YouTubers who report on this are not editorial outlets, they are salesmen. The hype cycle is tiresome and predictable. Flagships on LG and Sony are typically the best, Samsung's UI is absolute garbage, and you would probably be happy with a high end Hisense or TCL, but you're never going to go for that. On and on it goes.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Are there going to be any good valueish tvs with 120 hz and vrr? I just want one for my ps5 and pc but don’t want to spend like 2 grand on one.

Are there going to be any good valueish tvs with 120 hz and vrr? I just want one for my ps5 and pc but don’t want to spend like 2 grand on one.

Depends where you live I guess. Here in the UK you can get some pretty great under-the-radar TV's from the likes of Philips & Panasonic. I Picked up an 806 Philips OLED for £800 about 18 months ago that's 120Hz and has all the HDMI 2.1 features (VRR, GSync, Freesync), supports all HDR modes (Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HLG) and can passthrough Atmos & DTS X - pretty much has everything.

Eliciel

I really wanted to have a Sony A95K or A95L for once, let's see if LG 4's series pushes some price sensitivity towards Sony flagships..

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What motion are you guys referring to? The soap opera effect one?
No, the slideshow effect OLED will have with anything at 30fps and below.

Could not disagree more, the difference is night and day for blurbusters!

I use 60hz all the time, and for some more demanding games i even play at 50hz BFI 🙌
Wh... what?
Blurbusters's tests may show an objective improvement, but the dimming and flickering with 60Hz BFI is just as objectively horrendous. Didn't make a real improvement with low fps content either, when turning the camera in games I just saw images doubling instead of stuttering.

Man, some of yall mfers are fancy upgrading 3-5 yeats...im still rockin' a 2014 Sammy 750 series 65 inch 1080p 3d tv that unfortunately has a tiny cluster of dead pixels.
Nothing very fancy about spending less than a tax refund on a TV that would blow away anything you have seen on your Samsung.

I spent $1300 after tax on my C1, and that is Canadian dollars. OLED is a huge value purchase now.

Puscifer

Not sure there'll be much improvement this year. I hate that the C Line has become a 'low tier' category.
Also worth mentioning that their burn in warranty is non existent, LG used to service them for years out for free or paid but it's non existent now. I get that OLED burn in is basically a moot point but it just feels like garbage that you have no options now if you get unlucky even if RTINGS is showing that it's becoming a non issue over time.

Mythoclast

very happy with my C2. Will probably upgrade again when consoles can TRULY push past 4k120. I think they will push 8k60 first.

Ywap

No, the slideshow effect OLED will have with anything at 30fps and below.

Wh... what?
Blurbusters's tests may show an objective improvement, but the dimming and flickering with 60Hz BFI is just as objectively horrendous. Didn't make a real improvement with low fps content either, when turning the camera in games I just saw images doubling instead of stuttering.
I still use a crt on my desktop and oled with BFI + vsync have been a blessing for my couch gaming. I can't do motion blur, i get nauseousness 🤢🤮

(Btw. with Blurbusters i meant me, not the site 🙂)

Last edited:
Top Bottom