• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Library Asks People To Stop Paying Fines With Chuck E. Cheese Tokens

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/01/library-chuck-e-cheese-tokens-danvers/

DANVERS (CBS) – Chuck E. Cheese tokens are for arcade games, not paying your overdue book fines, one local library is reminding its patrons.

The Peabody Institute Library, which is the public library for the town of Danvers, took to Facebook this week to spread the word.

“This summer we’ve had a surge of folks attempting to pay fines and printing fees with tokens from Chuck E Cheese and Bonkers,” the library wrote. “Since they are not legal tender, we cannot accept them.”

Bookkeeper Sue Kontos told The Salem News she counted three tokens from Chuck E. Cheese’s and one from Bonkers, another kids entertainment center in Peabody, before realizing they weren’t actual money.

“Everyone got a laugh out of it,” she said.

Chuck E. Cheese’s have been phasing out the game tokens in favor of cards.

The library also took this opportunity to note they don’t take Canadian coins, either.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I still have a pile of tokens and tickets from Hershey Park from the last time I went there a couple decades ago after an annual junior high school orchestra competition. I wonder if they'd still accept them for prizes.

Carnby

The library also took this opportunity to note they don’t take Canadian coins, either.

Ah ha! I'm on to them.

They made a funny announcement only to casually slip in the real news. This was clearly a distraction.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I owe a library in another country $1 that they will only take an in-person payment with cash or a cheque denominated in the right currency. I'm not a dishonest person but come on. Ain't nobody got time for that

M-PG71C

I owe a library in another country $1 that they will only take an in-person payment with cash or a cheque denominated in the right currency. I'm not a dishonest person but come on. Ain't nobody got time for that

You're fucked if you don't pay them. You might want to see if they take GameStop in-store credit. It's worth a try, you really don't want to end up with a guilty conscious.

Carnby

This right here folks.

And with Boston being only 308 miles from Quebec, I suspect Stumpo's situation is common at this Boston library.

SRG01

How does a library not have online payments in 2017? Am I to assume that this library still had index cards for their catalog?

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
hzvFlNN.jpg
Yeah '71, that was my first year on the job. Bad year for libraries. Bad year for America. Hippies burning library cards, Abby Hoffman telling everybody to steal books. I don't judge a man by the length of his hair or the kind of music he listens to. Rock was never my bag. But you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella.

adj_noun

Am I to assume that this library still had index cards for their catalog?

Mock card catalogs if you wish, but when the power goes out, the card catalog still stands! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, fine, online is clearly much better but I have a certain nostalgia for the bulky things. Sometimes you'll see the old cards provided as scratch paper. Sigh.

At least Ghostbusters gave 'em their finest moment. I wonder how many younger folks see that movie and wonder what the heck all those cards are supposed to be.

kmfdmpig

Yeah '71, that was my first year on the job. Bad year for libraries. Bad year for America. Hippies burning library cards, Abby Hoffman telling everybody to steal books. I don't judge a man by the length of his hair or the kind of music he listens to. Rock was never my bag. But you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella.

This made me realize that Larry's doctor on Curb was the library cop. That guy is great.

Top Bottom