• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange 2 Developers Talk About the Problem of Choosing a Canon Ending for Max and Chloe's Story.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/li...the-problem-of-choosing-a-canon-max-chloe#nnn

"People can kind of create their own version of what happened," writer Christian Divine told me.

Voice director Philip Bache chimed in, "I am also a player. I play a lot of games. It would almost upset me to find out one is canon. Like, you're being told, 'Hey cool, you made a choice. That choice was wrong.' I would feel bad because what's so gut wrenching about the game is the choice at the end."

The original choice had Max making a gut-wrenching decision: save Arcadia Bay, or save Chloe (bae or bay, as our sister site Eurogamer puts it). "The whole game builds up to literally that moment," Divine says.

"The point of the game is not to give that linear conclusion. It's a choose-your-own adventure book. You can ask which one is canon, but that's not how it works in a choose-your-own adventure book."

Divine says that avoiding the subject has opened it up to discussion among the player base. Interestingly, the decision was closed to 50/50, and people have some pretty strong feelings about it. "It was amazing how close it was," Divine says.

Of course, at least one official source has appeared to choose an ending. The official comic book series scheduled for release in November has reportedly chosen the "save Chloe" ending. But that doesn't make Divine's statement inaccurate. It just means that the comic ran with one possibility.

DonF

Interesting. Mass effect spoiled me with the "carry over your decisions into the next game thing" so I assumed that LiS2 would do the same thing. Come to think about it, both endings are so different that it would change dramatically how the next game turns out.

brian0057

Banned
I will never understand the people that chose to save Chloe.
At no point during my playthrough of the game did I found myself in danger of giving a f*ck about her

Saving Chloe pretty much shits all over Max's character arc. It's pretty obvious that saving Arcadia Bay was more or less the "true" ending. Especially since you get a full cut-scene with some legit payoff. If you save Chloe you get two seconds of a steam animation studio-tier cut-scene where Max & Chloe drive while saying nothing and looking vacant.

I'm pretty sure DontNod ran out of time and couldn't make the proper 2nd ending they intended but it's telling which one they prioritized for release. Everything Max was going through built up to her letting go of Chloe. Letting go of her regret (over abandoning her best friend) and not letting the storm of her emotions destroy everything. She's supposed to gain confidence from the experience, grow from it. It's a coming of age story for christ sakes.

Whenever die hard Chloe fans talk about the other ending it's never deeper than "I like Chloe, screw Arcadia bay" or people who are so enamored with the optional romance that everything else takes a back seat.

Last edited:

Razorback

Saving Chloe over the town is a morally repugnant choice so, is it really that hard to pick which one should be canon?

Kadayi

Banned
I hated Chloe early on (too much Riot Grrl..), but she grew on me as the game progressed but when it came down to save Chloe or save the Town, no way I could put her over everyone else. It wasn't even a choice.

Top Bottom