• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm |OT| Hella Walk with Me

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Drew some fanart.

tumblr_ovsas19NCX1rn8nkfo1_1280.jpg

I love how you can tell Chloe is still trying to find her style in BtS.

NeoRaider

Just finished the episode and all i can say is: holy shit!
That was sooo good. That ending... can't wait for the next episode. Please don't make us wait more than few weeks!

What are you referring to with that spoiler?

From what I could interpret
Rachel seems to know everything you did even though she weren't there or in view, plus there seemed to be some wind effect going on with her screaming near the end. She might have similar powers or completely different something to do with the wind perhaps.
Regardless though fantastic episode probably gonna play it one more time when a concrete date for episode 2 is close.

Fantomas

When you watch the people in the park there is a dialogue option for the two guys on the bench

Ah, I must have picked a different option. That's funny though, it definitely seems to be an anachronism, unless people in the know were somehow streaming Spotify from Europe before it launched in the U.S.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They're talking about Spotify? This game us set in 2010 goddammit!!!
What I find strange is that the game features songs that weren't released at the time it takes place. As far as I know, the original game didn't feature anything that came out after 2013, but BtS has at least one track that came out in 2015. That's a strange oversight.

I don't remember any mentions of Spotify in the game, though.

EDIT: just saw your explanation above. I didn't mock the couple, so I missed it.

Larkoz

The look on Chloe's face when she was
listening to Skip's demo was the BEST.

Deck Nine created a new engine called StoryForge for this game.

Actually it's more like a toolset compatible with Unity, made of two parts. Playwright, which is basically the screenwriting tool. It generates a whole flowchart from the script with the choices, the gameplay involved, etc. And then there's Storyteller. This is the cinematic tool with all the sliders for the animations that does the lipsync right from the VO files.

But yeah, great work from Deck Nine. I wonder if Dontnod is staying on UE for season 2?

NeoRaider

I definitely decided to replay the episode 1 before 2nd episode is released. I also won't be watching any future trailers and gameplays.

Too bad this is 3 episodes only, i wish it was 5+1. That would be great. Anyway it feels great to be back in Arcadia Bay.

JDB

Banned
Only played for like 30 minutes but
reading Chloe's letters and diary (?) entry about Max made me tear up a bit. :(

The new voice of Chloe is a bit weird at first, but I can see myself getting used to it more than I thought I would. Still miss Ashly Burch, though.

JDB

Banned
Chloe, I don't think you have to look around to check nobody is watching while you write some stuff on the wall inside a train cart!

Staf

I loved season 1, except the final episode. But i'm not feeling this at all. I just got past the first area
(the bouncer)
and quit the game. Will come back to it later.

The argument mechanic was no fun, i miss messing with time...

I loved season 1, except the final episode. But i'm not feeling this at all. I just got past the first area
(the bouncer)

This area felt like a testing ground for simple mechanic (for the new developers), and to tutorialize new players. It is a bit basic compared to the rest of the game. To be honest, the game has not fully started yet based on where you are. What you played right now is the Season 1 Episode 1 equivalent of Max sitting at her desk in Jefferson's classroom.

Finished it few days ago, it was fantastic just as good as LiS1 if not better in parts, they did such a great job framing a lot of things about Chloe that put in context how she acted and felt in LiS1 and the introduction of Rachel Amber as an actual character really gave a sense of how big of a deal she was to not only Chloe but Blackwell/Arcadia Bay. Deck Nine has really impressed me, they had a lot to live up to and so far seem to be doing a really great job, can't wait for episode 2 and the bonus prologue has me really intrigued too.

(the bouncer)

There is a certain cringe curve as we're playing and hearing Chloe the whole time, but it's totally living up to the first game so far.
The only downside is there's no way yet to turn of Chromatic Abberation. Ugh.

JDB

Banned
There is a certain cringe curve as we're playing and hearing Chloe the whole time, but it's totally living up to the first game so far.
The only downside is there's no way yet to turn of Chromatic Abberation. Ugh.
Yeah, some of the dialogue is pretty cringy, but the first game had a fair amount of that as well.

Just finished the episode
Loved it much more than I thought I would
Chloe's new VA did a fantastic job considering the amount of pressure that was on her. I completely forgot about the change about 10 minutes after the episode and became used to it.
The new developer gets the game and its atmosphere right. Here are some of the things I thought were brilliant :

• The small details linking us to LiS .
    The text messages between Chloe and Max were heartbreaking
    . During LiS I just assumed that both grew apart and Chloe was frustrated because Max left at such a sensitive phase of her life. Knowing that
    Chloe constantly tried to reach out is just so ... cruel
    . What's worse is that I would act like Max had I been in her place ( I'm the kind of people who would be constantly engaged with you face to face, but I cannot keep that connection online ).
    Also, when Rachel
    was playing the two truths one lie game, we as players could guess which two are truths based on her file back
    in LiS. We can see her birthplace and birthday

• The lip syncing is much better and the music is top-notch as well

• The board game
    was such a well-implemented idea. I never knew there could be so many variations to this sort of gameplay. LiS was brilliant in the sense that it introduced time travel which allowed for new ways to approach dialogue in the gameplay. Before the storm also introduced a mini-game through dialogue which was super fun

• Did they hint at
    supernatural elements with the Rachel scream at the end?

• Chloe's journal
    during the dream scene is pretty damn dark

Most importantly, I seem to have missed a lot of character interactions and scenarios. I didn't meet the principal or the demo guy people have been talking about here? hmmm
Also ( Joyce Spoiler ) :
you can sip money from the concert at the beginning and give it to joyce
. I completely missed that until I saw a youtube video about it.

Fantomas

Just finished the episode
Loved it much more than I thought I would
Chloe's new VA did a fantastic job considering the amount of pressure that was on her. I completely forgot about the change about 10 minutes after the episode and became used to it.
The new developer gets the game and its atmosphere right. Here are some of the things I thought were brilliant :

• The small details linking us to LiS .
    The text messages between Chloe and Max were heartbreaking
    . During LiS I just assumed that both grew apart and Chloe was frustrated because Max left at such a sensitive phase of her life. Knowing that
    Chloe constantly tried to reach out is just so ... cruel
    . What's worse is that I would act like Max had I been in her place ( I'm the kind of people who would be constantly engaged with you face to face, but I cannot keep that connection online ).
    Also, when Rachel
    was playing the two truths one lie game, we as players could guess which two are truths based on her file back
    in LiS. We can see her birthplace and birthday

• The lip syncing is much better and the music is top-notch as well

• The board game
    was such a well-implemented idea. I never knew there could be so many variations to this sort of gameplay. LiS was brilliant in the sense that it introduced time travel which allowed for new ways to approach dialogue in the gameplay. Before the storm also introduced a mini-game through dialogue which was super fun

• Did they hint at
    supernatural elements with the Rachel scream at the end?

• Chloe's journal
    during the dream scene is pretty damn dark

Most importantly, I seem to have missed a lot of character interactions and scenarios. I didn't meet the principal or the demo guy people have been talking about here? hmmm
Also ( Joyce Spoiler ) :
you can sip money from the concert at the beginning and give it to joyce
. I completely missed that until I saw a youtube video about it.

Great post! I agree about the
text logs between Chloe and Max, very relatable and sad to read through, and also kind of changes how I feel about Chloe's attitude in the first game since she likely didn't trust Max at all anymore. Like when she gets all pissy about Max answering the phone for Kate in episode 2, that makes way more sense when you consider that Max likely wouldn't have answered the phone for Chloe before they started hanging out again.

And as for the characters you didn't meet,
they are both outside the school in the same area where you play the tabletop game. The security guard is the demo guy and he's standing near where you start in that area, then the principal will show up after you sit down on the stage.

Great post! I agree about the
text logs between Chloe and Max, very relatable and sad to read through, and also kind of changes how I feel about Chloe's attitude in the first game since she likely didn't trust Max at all anymore. Like when she gets all pissy about Max answering the phone for Kate in episode 2, that makes way more sense when you consider that Max likely wouldn't have answered the phone for Chloe before they started hanging out again.

And as for the characters you didn't meet,
they are both outside the school in the same area where you play the tabletop game. The security guard is the demo guy and he's standing near where you start in that area, then the principal will show up after you sit down on the stage.

Thanks !!

Yes! That is exactly what I thought of. I thought that
Chloe was just butthurt and jealous of the attention Max gave Kate. Even worse, I thought she was a bitch for not considering the poor girl's state at the time but now I see it's more centered towards Max's attitude after she left.

I went back and played the first episode again to meet these characters. It's crazy how many details I was able to skip and miss! Ultimately, I do not foresee huge consequences that would affect the overall plot
( maybe I'll get in trouble for ditching detention next episode )
but it's nice to see the variation again.

Now I do not like Chloe as a character in LiS. However, I completely understand where she's coming from

Taruranto

Finished.

The beginning was mostly boring, especially the parts with David and Chloe's mum. I tried and wanted to like these parts, but it was really hard knowing it's just a prequel and there was no way any relationship was going to change because of LiS.

Things got better once Rachel was introduced, since I wanted to know more about her. I went with
"I want to be more than friends"
since my Max got with Warren and I thought it's the choice that made the most sense given the way Chloe talked about Rachel in LiS. I also
lied to her during the train sequence, it was a good way to test if she had powers like Max. But it looks like she was just a good detective.

Speaking of Rachel, what's up with her character model? She had robotic movements at times and her face looked
hella
weird, like in the
dream car sequence
toward the end.

Do we need to spoiler Life of Strange story details?

Do we need to spoiler Life of Strange story details?

I think it is okay to leave Episode 1-5 spoilers unmarked. The closest comparison would be Season 1 of a TV show in a Season 2 thread, and no one really cares when spoilers are unmarked in those thread.

I am sure at some point someone will get annoyed, as the good reception this episode got may make some people want to see the overall series ( and this is the easiest thread to stumble into currently), but almost all of the people coming to this thread would likely have played LIS before coming here.

Akai__

They just added 11 new (locked) achievements on Steam.
Anyone else?

Is the count at 22 Steam achievements now? Because there are 34 achievements/trophies in total and all of them are live on XBL/PSN, but remain secret for the time being. It should be 11 per episode, with the 34th achievement being the "beat the game" one.

Just beat episode 1 the other day. I love the original game and was very skeptical about this one, but it lived up to my expectations. Like others are saying, the
D&D scene
was a ton of fun.

Also, I'm now strongly suspicious that
Rachel has rewind powers and this will be revealed in some manner that Chloe doesn't learn

Humdinger

I went in skeptical, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's actually very good.

Five things I want to compliment:

- The dialog. It's very sharp and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny.
- The
tabletop game
. What fun that was. :)
- The storytelling. They are handling it very well.
- Chloe's new voice actress. She's doing a great job.
- Inventiveness and new mechanics.

One thing I want to criticize:

- Chloe is too relentlessly sarcastic and snarky. I know that's her character, but she would have more depth if she had more range.

Top Bottom