• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

aaaaa0

Small quibble I had with a plot point. Its not entirely illogical but it bothered me a little and wondered what others thought about it:

In episode 5 when Max
tears up the Selfie in San Francisco, did anyone else groan when that lead her to being back in the Dark Room due to this action somehow leading to Jefferson burning her Diary, which meant she couldn't consequentially go back in time and alert David about Jefferson.

Did I miss a line from
Jefferson about why he burnt the Diary?

Max was a dumbass and saved the torn up photo in her Diary instead of submitting it for the contest. When Jefferson saw that she had torn up a brilliant photo, he said something like "well if you won't respect your own art, then neither will I" and set the diary on fire.

Loving this game so far, just beat ep 2.

Big spoiler question:

I failed to save poor Kate :( Does that effect a lot later? Is it worth redoing the chapter to save here or should I just see how it plays out with her dying?

Loving this game so far, just beat ep 2.

Big spoiler question:

I failed to save poor Kate :( Does that effect a lot later? Is it worth redoing the chapter to save here or should I just see how it plays out with her dying?

Play it as is. The game works fine both ways, and it's more honest. Furthermore, that game heads to some emotional places, and being able to edit those kind of defeats the purpose.

Ambitious

Just finished episode 1. Holy fuck this game...just incredible.

The art direction, the great characters, the excellent writing, the wonderful line delivery, the downright beautiful soundtrack...masterful. Can't wait to continue.

Please keep the thread updated with your impressions. I can only imagine how someone who is this enthused with the first episode will think about the rest of the series.

This is gonna be great.

Play it as is. The game works fine both ways, and it's more honest. Furthermore, that game heads to some emotional places, and being able to edit those kind of defeats the purpose.

Alright thanks. I'll live with the choices I've made.

Overall I'm really loving this game. The art direction and soundtrack is beautiful and makes it so great to just chill out while you explore around, the cast of characters is great, and most importantly, your decisions can come back and bite you in the ass!

Not doing more than one chapter a day so I'll leave it there for now.

Alright thanks. I'll live with the choices I've made.

Overall I'm really loving this game. The art direction and soundtrack is beautiful and makes it so great to just chill out while you explore around, the cast of characters is great, and most importantly, your decisions can come back and bite you in the ass!

Not doing more than one chapter a day so I'll leave it there for now.

Don't be surprised if you scrap that promise after the end of chapter three. That goes places.

chadskin

I want a theme, too.

There is one:
16375186336_41272722aa_o.jpg

I got it as a pre-order bonus but it's probably available separately as well (EU).

abundant

I played through all 5 episodes last week and
my god, what an emotional gutpunch at the beginning of episode 4. The only other time I got that emotional in a game was when I was playing Persona 4.

Great game, a must play for everyone.

d00d3n

I really liked the game, but hit a wall after reaching
the school dance type thing in Episod 4
. It seems like everything from this point on will be predictable.
Nathan
is obviously a psycho, is irrefutably connected to
the psycho bunker
, and I assume that the rest of the game will focus this character and
the end of the world scenario
. Should I continue with the game, or am I right to assume that the rest of the game is a pointless and predictable weak point?

Elija2

Nathan
the psycho bunker
. Should I continue with the game, or am I right to assume that the rest of the game is a pointless and predictable weak point?

Finish Episode 4, then decide.

Nathan
the psycho bunker

LOL. Just keep playing man, then get back to us at the end of the episode.

Frederik

Banned
Nathan
the psycho bunker
Go play and find out? Seriously not getting why you'd want to stop 3/4rds into a story you're enjoying because you have a hunch that it will play out in a certain way.

d00d3n

Go play and find out? Seriously not getting why you'd want to stop 3/4rds into a story you're enjoying because you have a hunch that it will play out in a certain way.

My playthrough was interrupted by the release of The Witness. After that I have been quite busy with work, so I lost momentum with the game I guess.

I finished Episode 1 a few days ago, started Episode 2 and got finished an early section
breakfast at the diner and proving I can rewind time
. I am SUPER loving this game. The camera angles when Max sits down and plays the guitar are amazing.

Went back and replayed Episode 1 with my wife since she enjoyed seeing the demo last year. We spent like 20 minutes reading Max's journal and talking to everyone, it was a blast.

I'm curious if shinobi will follow the same path as me. I loved Ep 1 and was over the moon by the ending. It's ended up as one of my favourite games of all time.

The way it handles atmosphere, especially in the early episodes, is so masterfully done. I really hope it influences other cinematic adventure games from this point forward.
Wtf? WTF? I feel so used, after seeing the ending of episode 4.

Lol.

Life is Strange is such a beautiful game.

Spinifex

I'm curious if shinobi will follow the same path as me. I loved Ep 1 and was over the moon by the ending. It's ended up as one of my favourite games of all time.

The way it handles atmosphere, especially in the early episodes, is so masterfully done. I really hope it influences other cinematic adventure games from this point forward.

I'm in the same boat. I was hooked from the moment Syd Matters played in Episode 1, and I think minus some really minor things, the whole game was executed masterfully. It's also one of my favorite games of all time and definitely a watershed moment for choice-based episodic adventure games.

Lol sounds like he most boring thing in the world!
But honestly, this is what I love about games like this. Just exploring the world is soooo enjoyable.

My wife is Japanese and not a native English speaker, so it took her a bit more time to get through the first eight pages that are available at the start. Max's use of slang and some expressions used that my wife hadn't heard before (Woe is me-> Woe is Max) was a bit difficult for her. Once she understood everything she had a big smile on her face. Talking to people was fine, she was able to understand most of what was being said (besides the occasional slang she wasn't familiar with).

My wife is Japanese and not a native English speaker, so it took her a bit more time to get through the first eight pages that are available at the start. Max's use of slang and some expressions used that my wife hadn't heard before (Woe is me-> Woe is Max) was a bit difficult for her. Once she understood everything she had a big smile on her face. Talking to people was fine, she was able to understand most of what was being said (besides the occasional slang she wasn't familiar with).

As a native English speaker, I still don't understand shaka brah or exactly when to use "hella" the way Life is Strange does. But I embrace it nonetheless.

...shaka brah.

Just finished episode 4.
Wow! What a game! Have no idea what's coming up in episode 5 but I have heard nearly everyone was disappointed in it. That kind of sucks. Almost shed a tear when William went out that front door one last time.

Just finished Episode 2.

Jesus christ I'm in love with this. I managed to
save Kate
thankfully! That was one of the most intense scenes I've ever played in a game. Goddamn. The relationships Max has with everyone in the game continues to feel so genuine and authentic, with Kate and especially with Chloe. One of the few times where I'm smiling all the time because each scenario feels so well thought out and feeling like it could happen in reality.

The soundtrack continues to fucking tug at my heart strings. The main plot has me hooked, Arcadia Bay's apparent seedy undercurrent is extremely tantalizing. Can't wait to see where it all goes. Intense! And people keep telling me Episode 3 is even more wild...I can't handle this!

giphypjsz4.gif

Just finished Episode 2.

Jesus christ I'm in love with this. I managed to
save Kate
thankfully! That was one of the most intense scenes I've ever played in a game. Goddamn. The relationships Max has with everyone in the game continues to feel so genuine and authentic, with Kate and especially with Chloe. One of the few times where I'm smiling all the time because each scenario feels so well thought out and feeling like it could happen in reality.

You did a good today Shinobi, a real everyday hero.

Just finished episode 1. Holy fuck this game...just incredible.

The art direction, the great characters, the excellent writing, the wonderful line delivery, the downright beautiful soundtrack...masterful. Can't wait to continue.

Your response felt just like mine, Shinobi. By the end of episode 3 I was already going about calling it my GOTY.

Maxximo

Just finished Episode 2.
The soundtrack continues to fucking tug at my heart strings. The main plot has me hooked, Arcadia Bay's apparent seedy undercurrent is extremely tantalizing. Can't wait to see where it all goes. Intense! And people keep telling me Episode 3 is even more wild...I can't handle this!

Yes the last half of episode 3 is mind shattering.

superjona

Finished the game two days ago, what a fantastic piece of art. I actually haven't played any other game since, it's hard to drift my focus away from Max and Chloe.

Jesus fuck episode 3.

Had to go back in this thread to when it released to see some reactions.

Thank god I don't have to wait months for ep 4, and I can do it tomorrow :p

I see some people on the last page reacting to episode 3 and I just finished it. This is my first time playing through and have absolutely loved it, but the ending of episode 3 was definitely my least favorite part so far.
episode 3 ending spoilers:
I feel as though it was incredibly obvious changing that would lead to something bad and I'm surprised Max would even do it after expressing apprehension to smaller changes in the past. Besides that, I'm assuming episode 4 will do a "take back" so this will all feel relatively pointless. I liked the smaller scale intimacy of the changes, and for me this went too big.

Just thought I'd share, I'm too scared to go too far back in this thread cause I've already kinda had a few tiny things spoiled here and there. Looking forward to having time to play episode 4 soon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I started replaying the game and this part in episode 1 this kinda blew my mind: Contains spoilers:

When you go to give Warren his flash drive back in the parking lot, Chloe's has her truck parked in a handicapped spot and Max makes a comment :O

Can anyone recommend me any good games like this? I have played the following and loved them, anything similar would be good

The Walking Dead
Tales of Borderlands
The Wolf Among Us

Can anyone recommend me any good games like this? I have played the following and loved them, anything similar would be good

The Walking Dead
Tales of Borderlands
The Wolf Among Us

As someone who knows of Minecraft but never been a huge fan of the game, I really enjoyed Minecraft: Story Mode.

Steamlord

The Walking Dead
Tales of Borderlands
The Wolf Among Us

Oxenfree is a similar game that I loved. It's sort of a 2.5D horror adventure with a primary focus on dialogue. You choose almost all of the protagonist's lines in the game. The choices affect the characters' relationships more than the overarching plot; I feel like it's best to know that going in so you don't expect a bunch of wildly branching plotlines. It's not episodic so it's quite a bit shorter than LIS et al, but there's a lot of replay value with some achievements for playing in certain ways, tons of conversations and character development that you can't get in just one playthrough, etc. I've played through it twice and I still plan on playing it at least two more times with different play styles.

The Walking Dead
Tales of Borderlands
The Wolf Among Us
Dreamfall Chapters is quite similar, and very good so far. The final episode isn't out yet. It's the third in a series, after The Longest Journey and Dreamfall:The Longest Journey. The first two are more traditional adventure games. I highly recommend them all.

Oxenfree is a similar game that I loved. It's sort of a 2.5D horror adventure with a primary focus on dialogue. You choose almost all of the protagonist's lines in the game. The choices affect the characters' relationships more than the overarching plot; I feel like it's best to know that going in so you don't expect a bunch of wildly branching plotlines. It's not episodic so it's quite a bit shorter than LIS et al, but there's a lot of replay value with some achievements for playing in certain ways, tons of conversations and character development that you can't get in just one playthrough, etc. I've played through it twice and I still plan on playing it at least two more times with different play styles.

Just checked this game and wow from what i saw the voice acting and dialogue is very good. Definitely getting this tomorrow Thanks. While checking this I ran into a game called Firewatch which seems to be good too.

Also thanks zer0blivion and littlegrasshopper, I should have a bit of content to play now :)

Episode 3 finished.

Holy shit! That ending was a rollercoaster...
reliving Max and Chloe's memory that far back in the past real hit me hard. I was anticipated something drastic changing for the worse by changing the past in a big way like that but wasn't expecting to see Chloe like that...holy fuck...noooooooooo :(

Now to Ep. 4.

Top Bottom