• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Just bought Episode 1 on PS4 after watching ten minutes of the giant bomb quicklook and reading the game description. Game looks great and hearing high school murder mystery makes me think of Serial, Brick, Twin Peaks, etc so I was sold (I also have an odd love for The Butterfly Effect).

For people having issues downloading it, I'm Canadian so it might be different but the price wasn't showing up on PSN website but I could purchase the episode through the store on the ps4.

US PSN Customers will be able to purchase the complete season on the 3rd Feb. EP 1 and Season pass are available now

According to @LifeIsStrange

It's listed but I can't purchase it yet.

Also according to their Twitter: Update: PS4 users can now purchase the game. PS3 is still being investigated

No really sure what's going on here.

Edit: Episode 1 is up for purchase: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...de-1/cid=UP0082-CUSA01442_00-LIFEISSTRANGE001

No season pass yet. Guess that's what they're talking about.

Corpekata

Banned
Made this joke in another thread but at this point I actually think we might need a "PSN troubles" thread for games like how there's a PC performance thread.

I can purchase episode 1 on my ps4. But where is the season pass?

US PSN Customers will be able to purchase the complete season on the 3rd Feb. EP 1 and Season pass are available now

According to @LifeIsStrange

It's listed but I can't purchase it yet.

Looks like if you want the season pass you might have to wait until Feb 3rd, but the individual episode is out now for some reason.

FoxT

Neo Member
I've seen the review thread and instantly bought the game on steam. I just started playing and the artstyle is gorgeous. Dontnod really know what they do regarding the visuals, same as with Remember Me.
Theonly grieve I have is the camera. It's so damn close to the character and on my 21:9 monitor the vertical view gets too narrow for my taste.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is their development different from most episodic games? I feel like they already finished work on all of the game and are just releasing it in a set period because they want to. Considering the scenes shown of the next episode and there being preview images of the other 3 episodes.

Cause no other episodic game is as fast between episodes, right?

I think is not totally done but perhaps the first half or more than half is done so they can afford to do that release schedule without having to rush the missing content. We'll see what happens.

Reedirect

Just finished it. A really great establishing episode, had more fun with it than with anything put out by Telltale since the first episode of Wolf Among Us. Especially liked walking around the campus. Second part of the episode was also good, but I felt like they were pushing the "indie movie" aesthetic too hard at times, mostly because of the whiny soundtrack.

I would enjoy "more Twin Peaks mystery, less random Sundance movie" in the coming episodes, but maybe that's just me.

Those subtle Square Enix references - I'm ok with Lara Croft, but Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within? Come onnnnn

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
People should take a nice look at the car plates when they are at the parking lot. All those references
<3

peakish

Tonal shifts: Did they bother anyone?
I'm trying to gather my thoughts on the episode and it stuck out to me that it switched between being a high school teen drama, to teen rebel problems, to gotta-save-the-world-now! in less than three hours. Although I enjoyed the content scene-by-scene I'm not quite sure of what I'm supposed to be feeling, overall. Will the main objective of the series be to develop some self confidence and find the perfect photograph for the contest? Or will it be finding out what the creepy security guard is up to and how the events are connected to Rachel's disappearance? Or saving the town?

I'm sure that some things will be cleared up moving on, it just sticks out to me now in hindsight. I don't want to be too negative since it's just the first episode.

I'm not waiting for February 3rd to get the season pass fuck it! I'm buying the game right now. I will only pay 5$ more at the end and I support the devs.

I realize that this game may end up making better use of the time rewind mechanic than the upcoming Quantum Break which by the looks of it is a bullet time gimmick and not much else.

I realize that this game may end up making better use of the time rewind mechanic than the upcoming Quantum Break which by the looks of it is a bullet time gimmick and not much else.

To be fair, this game does have more scope and freedom to make better use of the rewind feature compared to QB, but then I feel we still don't know enough about how the rewind mechanic works in QB, so who knows...

FHIZ

Okay, so before I pull the trigger on the PSN purchase, do I have to buy episode one and the season pass? That's the deal, right?

Megasoum

Banned
Okay, so before I pull the trigger on the PSN purchase, do I have to buy episode one and the season pass? That's the deal, right?

Yeah or wait for Episode 2 to come out and then buy it peace meal (might as well buy the season pass IMO).

Of you can wait until next Tuesday and get the Episode 1-5 pack (again, might as well get the season pass).

graywolf323

apparently so, at least they don't seem to have a complete season option like on Steam which saves you ~$2

edit: oh so I guess that complete season (which is episodes 1-5) will be coming Tuesday? weird

FHIZ

Yeah or wait for Episode 2 to come out and then buy it peace meal (might as well buy the season pass IMO).

Of you can wait until next Tuesday and get the Episode 1-5 pack (again, might as well get the season pass).

Okay thanks. Just going to get it all purchased now. I got screwed with Tales of the Borderlands because the way the season pass description worded, I read it as just being for episodes 2-5 and ended up buying the first episode then realizing my mistake.

kubus

Oh maaaaan I just finished playing the first episode and I loved it. Dontnod you guys are geniuses.

I'm missing so many photos even though I investigated everything. And woah, only 2%
found the pregnancy test?! I missed it as well. Where the hell was it?! :p.
Anyway I'll probably replay this soon for the stuff I missed and to take more screenshots. This game is so beautiful.

Oh maaaaan I just finished playing the first episode and I loved it. Dontnod you guys are geniuses.

I'm missing so many photos even though I investigated everything. And woah, only 2%
Anyway I'll probably replay this soon for the stuff I missed and to take more screenshots. This game is so beautiful.

I think it's 2% choose to take it, because I found it took it but then rewind and they put me in the 98%

So what is this game like? Is it reminiscent of Heavy Rain?

Yes but it's more like Telltale games starting from The Walking Dead

it's in Dana's room in a box by the laptop.

Kinsei

Banned

It's not 2% that found it, it's 2% that found it, let Dana get pissed, and then didn't rewind. It's on the floor in Dana's room and if you rewind and talk to her about it after finding it you learn something very interesting.

delSai

I think it's 2% choose to take it, because I found it took it but then rewind and they put me in the 98%

Yes but it's more like Telltale games starting from The Walking Dead

I felt so bad when she got all pissy lol. I can understand rewinding at this point.

It is a fairly basic adventure game like Dreamfall with a unique power you can use. But its not trying to flex its muscles in the same way Heavy Rain did.

Sounds interesting.

I may actually give this sucker a look.

I hope the storyline is engrossing, since that is the main appeal here.

ash_ag

Those subtle Square Enix references - I'm ok with Lara Croft, but Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within? Come onnnnn

Oh, right! I didn't realise they may have been intended Square Enix references. There is also a mention of Fullmetal Alchemist, whose books are also (Square) Enix-published.

Enjoyed Episode 1 quite a bit. By the end
the game starts to develop its identity, and I think that will pay off in the next episodes. We have a nicely setup cast, plenty of story threads, and a tone that appears to blend drama and sci-fi elements in a unique way.
Great start, and it can only get better here on after. Looking forward to Episode 2!

So what is this game like? Is it reminiscent of Heavy Rain?

Feels like the TWD template with larger environments and different narrative design. Heavy Rain felt very authored, whereas this is more explorative and its mechanics are clear cut rather than governed by indiscernible restrains.

Top Bottom