• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life of MMo gamers - "We hate all MMos".

Authority

Banned
I am asking on Reddit whether you can freely keybind everything so finger's cross you can.

And also an interesting post,

I don't want to say either version is superior or anything like that. They're actually two different types of games despite their similarities in the sandbox platforms.

ArcheAge through and through is a themepark game in a sandbox mode. The first few levels are essentially questing and pretty damn boring. However it gets much better when the ability to do whatever you want kicks in and it loses the themepark "tutorial" (I don't consider the first few levels to even be representative of what the game is) and the world opens up. It basically the game most people want with everything from hybrid GW style builds, Runescape lifeskills/pk freedom, WoW tab target combat, and etc. It's fantastic in the freedom it gives you when the game actually opens up.

Now BDO is something different and I'm not talking about the combat either. It doesn't care about you like normal mmo games, you're not the point of the game here. You're just some scrub in a living world. Hell you don't even know how much damage your attacks do, what monsters are where, or wtf is even going on at night. You have to establish your own relationships with NPCs, grind your ass off for levels, and do quests that will teach you skills instead of randomly giving experience points. BDO is more about the world of the game than it is about the players in the game. It's also about the restrictions there are. For instance it's night time and you're out of a city/town, you're not gonna see shit unless you're near a light source. You walk into a new type of monster you never saw, you have no idea what its hp is or how much you're doing to it. BDO is a learn as you go game

Black Desert's hype is starting to get the best out of me until it gets released and I end up saying "Oh I thought it was X and Y and Z".

Authority

Banned
Comment of this week

I tried to get into this game. Played beta, just got the 7 day trial, but can't stand to play after 20 minutes. Very generic and uninspired. Just picked up TESO and all I can say is "Wow". What breath of fresh air.

lol

I am guessing the concept of MegaServers nailed the coffin on this one.

Anyhow, Black Desert Online (I think beta) will appear first quarter of 2015.

Daum hiring industry 'veterans from western region' for Black Desert
10585698_911536958859654_1794582463_n.jpg

As I reached the venue for ChinaJoy 2014, my first target was head right to the booth of Korean developer Pearl Abyss, whose upcoming free-to-play game Black Desert is making waves around the world. I posted a few quick questions to Mr Brian Oh, Director of Overseas Business, to find out more.

Me: Obviously the gaming community is in shock at the announcement of Korean giant Daum Communications being the publisher of Black Desert for North America and Europe. Could you tell me more about the deal?

Brian: I understand the shock of the community, but after much evaluation, we felt that the deal with Daum Communications is right, given how much support they have given us since the Korean deal was signed.

Me: Will there be any possible delays, given that Daum Communications is not an established company in the western market?

Brian: I am not sure what Daum will do, since I do not question their operations, but I do understand that Daum is looking to set up a new games business team and hiring veterans from the western region to operate the new games platform.

Daum recently merged with Kakao, Korea’s biggest mobile gaming platform as well (cinderboy note: I guess Brian is hinting that Daum has all the products to make sure the Western platform launches smoothly)

Me: Since Daum still neeeds time to set up a team, is there a concern that Black Desert will be pushed further backwards for a western launch?

Brian: Working with Daum, I know that they make decisions and work fast, hence there is no worry at the moment.

Me: How about translation? Is Black Desert being translated now internally?

Brian: We have a partially translated version for Chinese, and we are translating the game into English internally. We might get other companies to do part of the translations, but overall we are controlling the core translation.

Me: How is the China server going along?

Brian: *Smiles* We are speaking to several companies, and there is no confirmation yet. (cinderboy note: I was informed that Brian was actually over at a Big 5 publisher in the morning)

Me: When is Closed Beta 3 and what new features can we expect?

Brian: Closed Beta 3 will happen around late August or early September, and the item dye system will be added.

Me: Is IP block being planned?

Brian: Yes, we do plan to restrict IP base on region.

Me: What about a Southeast Asia server?

Brian: We are definitely interested, and will look forward going over. Which publisher is the best from the community?

Me: All publishers are bad according to the community *Brian laughs*. But *top secret* is actually a better one.

Credits to MMOculture

Neverwinter Xbox One Gameplay Footage Emerged
ChinaJoy XBOXONE 《Neverwinter Online》Gameplay

Take a first look at Neverwinter gameplay on Xbox One, captured by camera at Xbox booth. Limited by the quality of the video, it's hard to tell how good the graphics is. You can take a gander at the interface though, which is designed specifically for Xbox One controller.

Neverwinter Xbox One version will be first released in China on September 23 later this year, followed by worldwide release in the first half of 2015.

Credits to 2p.com

Authority

Banned
Priceless.

Current State of the /r/Wildstar

I apologize for anyone looking for advice from Tutor Tuesdays (click the link to get back to it) but this seems to be something that is a more pressing matter, and needs to be handled immediately.

There has been quite a bit of controversy on this subreddit lately. This is something that I and many others have seen happen in subreddits as the game goes announcement->beta->pre-release->release->first month post-release. However, the current top two up-voted posts as of the creation of this post are:

Both of these posts talk about the toxicity that has been making its way around the subreddit. People will point fingers, either at Carbine, the mods of this subreddit, the playerbase (either hardcore or casual), or even just the community itself. The thing each of these shares in common is that they are involved with wildstar, and they are human beings (except Automod), meaning none are perfect. Carbine isn't going to release a perfect game, and will need to make a lot of changes; the mods can't cover every post on this subreddit (the best we try); players will never be 100% happy with the state of the game; the community will have a hard time controlling their posts to always be aimed at constructive comments. The only thing we can do is try to find ways to make the good flourish more than the bad, and handle the bad the best we can.

We have tried to make rules that the majority of the community agreed upon, but one change that will be going through is the allowance of direct image link posts (no more self-post required). This is something that we polled the community about, and were in favor of (do not need to hear people saying they voted against this rule) creating this specific rule. We hope through doing this, people will have an outlet to share more positive aspects of the game and their experiences. New people are not familiar with the format of reddit, so this should make things easier for them as well. This is a change that moderators will make to try and make this a nicer place to be.

What the community needs to do in order to make this a nicer place:

• Try being constructive when discussing things.
  • Report any post that violates the rules, and even message the moderators (there's a list on the right, and at the bottom says "message the moderators", hit this, and we'll all get the message).
Mentioned in the previous two posts linked was how certain toxic comments are allowed to be here. If they are not reported, chances are we will not see them. Voting to remove their visibility is one way, but if it is against the rules, report it. We will go through it as soon as we can, and remove the post if needed. This does not mean report people who you disagree with.

As a community, making these changes, and trying to treat others as you would like to be treated, will help make this place a much more positive place.

We will start removing any support post that is made, either if we see them, or if they are reported. These posts will be removed based on technical problems, account problems, or anything that Carbine needs to take care of specifically. If someone is having a hard time somewhere in game (ex: class questions, dungeon questions, etc) and come here to post, their post will be allowed, as the community can actually help people with this problem. People know about the problems with various things (bugs, servers, carbine in general), and these posts will be removed if they are not constructive. This seems to be a core of the negativity, between people arguing for or against Carbine, except with one another in this community, and no issue being resolved, just having a disdain for one another, and leaving an air of negativity.

While Carbine has promised transparency, the amount of Carbine comments has lessened here, meaning that posting complaints here will do nothing but bring negativity to the community. Wildstar forums are the place for non-constructive complaints in the game, the community here should be focused on helping one another and enjoying this game. If you have a neat idea for the game, and want to pick people's brains, this is the place to do it. If you want to complain about something, and get a circlejerk complaining about the same things, with no clear direction or real purpose, this is not the place to do it.

Carbine is trying to fix the things wrong with this game, and it's a huge game, so getting everything right will take time. Post feedback on their forums, I see a lot of responses on their dev tracker to really well thought out feedback posts, that are not just outright complaining, but giving constructive criticism, or outside opinions they may not have taken into consideration.

TL;DR: Image submissions allowed, support posts removed, non-constructive complaint posts (about Carbine, bugs, server pops, etc) removed.

Image submissions will be allowed immediately, the other two will be held off until enough discussion has happened, and as a community and moderator team, we find the best solution presented.

Feel free to discuss ideas that propose fixing problems, instead of just pointing them out.

(It's known that posts are being auto-downvoted, we've talked to the Reddit Admins, and they are working on a solution. That's as much as we as moderators can do.)

Edit: I'll point this out, because a few are confused as to what "discussion" and "complaints" are. This post here gives a very brief idea on what we mean. We do not need anymore threads that are just rants without any clear direction, or actual communication needed. Discussion with direction will always be the goal.

Edit 2: Added "non-constructive" to remove some ambiguity.

Edit 3: There have been an overwhelming number of people who do not understand that negative posts and non-constructive posts are different things. To help drive this point home,here is a current top voited thread, that is about a negative aspect of the game, that has a ton of conversation going on. These types of discussions are welcomed, because it raises awareness in the community. It's not a post that says "carbine is garbage i quit", it's got many people voicing their concerns, and asking questions as to why things are. Negative opinions are allowed, toxic personalities are not.

Source - Reddit

rallaren

How bad is it?
Some of the environments looks ok but it's pretty boring and uninspiring unless you really like the nude-ish characters. Reminds me of when I tried to play Aion. You get a mount with a lvl 10 quest though which felt really nice. It also has auto-run-to-quest-object function.
I have not read up on what the game really is about. Seems to have awesome mechs and stuff at higher lvls but I really doubt I get there with any of the 3 chars I have so far. Think I'm still in the noob area.

Authority

Banned
Your link there is 6 months old, so... yes?

Happy Birthday, by the way.

Edit: Thanks!

So you think within 6 month something will change? Why haven't posted any public info about their numbers?

You can also check,

MegaServer Feedback

MegaServer was introduced to combat the fact of low population across a wide number of servers.

Anyway, MMOrpgs should be forced by law to be transparent as possible about server population. That is what I would do if I had the authority. It is not a hot debate at the moment but hopefully one day it will be.

Rumors are also speculating about the drop of numbers in WildStar from what I have been gathering.

Authority

Banned
Tamriel Infinium: My love/hate relationship with Elder Scrolls Online

Quakecon was certainly interesting, wasn't it? Whether you're looking forward to new zones, the veteran system's extreme makeover, active world PvP via the thieving system, or combat upgrades, Elder Scrolls Online acquitted itself pretty well at this year's ZeniMax Media shindig.

The reveals even led to positive ESO comment vibes here on Massively, which added some much-needed love to the love/hate relationship that everyone seems to have with this particular MMO. I've got my own twisted take on said dynamic, so join me after the cut to celebrate the good and ask for more of it.
head2.jpg

When I say "hate" in relation to an MMORPG, I'm really talking boredom brought about by feature-deficiency. I don't actually hate games -- who has time for that? -- but I do shake my head at the way the MMO industry has convinced everyone that less equals more since 2004. With that in mind, here are a few areas where ESO desperately needs more meat on the bones.

Can we have a reason to revisit zones?

ESO is a big, beautiful world. I've mentioned this before. I've also been playing pretty regularly since launch and I've seen a little over two thirds of it. I've done all there is to do on the Daggerfall side of things and am well on my way to polishing off the Aldmeri content, too. And while Ebonhart stuff beckons, I'd also like a reason to revisit the previous two (because, you know, gorgeous).

Yeah, I'm a screenshot junkie and one of those crazies who believes in MMO immersion, but a gameplay reason to return to these incredible areas would be even better. I initially thought that adding more dungeon content might be the way to go, but then ZeniMax started talking about that active world PvP thing where thieving players will be hunted by flagged player guards, and hell yes that is exactly what the pre-50 areas need.
tiger.jpg

Oh, and some Heritage quests

I'm going to shamelessly steal this one from EverQuest II, and ZeniMax should too, in my humble opinion. EQII has these things called Heritage Quests, which are lengthy PvE excursions through the game's many zones designed to reward the player with XP, exploration fun, achievements, and epic gear. More importantly, the storylines and the reward items hearken back to lore established in the original EverQuest, and the whole enterprise is a nifty way to tie the two games together and allow franchise newbs and vets to (re)kindle their love for the setting.

I've sunk more hours than I care to admit into the Elder Scrolls franchise since 2002, so I can only imagine the awesome that would come of ESO incorporating even more of that mythos into a series of epic quests.
portal.jpg

And how about boats, please

This one may be a bit outside the game's wheelhouse at the moment, but all of those badass ships docked at ESO's various port cities are an unfortunate tease. I'm thinking that a full-fledged seafaring sphere like ArcheAge's might be beyond the scope of what ZeniMax set out to accomplish with ESO. I do think a simpler, Vanguard-style system could work, though, and it would serve to expand the world for explorers and, ideally, crafters as well.

Yep, housing too

Yeah, I know, there will be a few comments from the who-cares-about-housing brigade, but the reality is that it's a mechanic that makes MMOs stickier and encourages players to play longer and put down roots. Even if it doesn't do that for you!

I won't spend too much time on the instanced-vs.-open-world housing debate here, mainly because I'd be happy with either implementation. Sure, open-world would be slick, perhaps even as part of a territory control mechanic in Cyrodiil, but the genre's most full-featured housing systems are in fact instanced. Either way, creative director Paul Sage has said that housing is a priority as recently as a couple of weeks ago, though he also said that it won't be a near-future update.

And that's pretty much that in terms of what I think the game lacks at this point. Clearly ongoing class and PvP balance tweaks are implied; I'm mainly talking today about feature-adds and quality of life stuff that would make Tamriel feel more like Tamriel and less like yet another Azeroth derivative. But what about the love portion of the love/hate dynamic I mentioned in the intro?
head.jpg

Dat world

I've written entire columns on this already, so I'm not going to repeat myself. Much. ESO's Tamriel is spectacular, whether we're talking about its breadth, its eye-candy, or its sounds. It is Tamriel, as far as I'm concerned, and that's saying something considering how much time I've spent in previous incarnations.

Distracting progression

It's hard to fully hide the fact that ESO is a dyed-in-the-wool themepark, but ZeniMax has done about as good a job of that as I can imagine thanks to the game's skill progression lines. I may ultimately be pigeon-holed into a glorified rogue archetype as a Nightblade, but the journey to the end is full of fun distractions like leveling up heavy armor skills and dabbling in a bit of healing staff magicky stuff.

More like that, please, MMO developers.
storyending.jpg

Disguises

This is a small thing, but it's one of those small things that few MMOs do. ESO's disguises function sort of like appearance armor in other games, meaning that you can don a particular cosmetic outfit while retaining the stats of your actual armor. The catch here is that you have to don these outfits at certain points during certain missions and quests, usually to sneak past a group of guards or otherwise misbehave without drawing too much attention to yourself.

I find this way more fun than I probably should, and it's even niftier that -- provided I don't get dragged into combat -- I can keep the disguise, unequip it when I'm done with the quest, and re-equip later if I feel like dressing as a pirate/elvish soldier/whatever.

Yeah, it's the IP

Let's face it. If it weren't for the IP, I wouldn't have given a new fantasy themepark the time of day in 2014. Done-to-death is the only phrase that really applies to this particular sub-genre, and yet here I am enjoying one enough to write a recurring column about it.

The combat and class/skill mechanics are solid, yes, but without the Tamrielian trappings, I don't know that I'd be playing (much less writing about) Elder Scrolls Online. That's not so much an indictment as it is reality. The IP is a huge, huge part of this game, and with just a few of the tweaks I've mentioned above, ESO will be well on its way to doing that IP justice.

Obsidian explains Skyforge's class-swapping system
SF_Berserker_Screenshot.jpg

Obsidian and My.com are back today with another new Skyforge dev diary, this one a lengthy explanation of the game's class system. Skyforge allows class-swapping that will remind players a bit of RIFT: You'll pick a base class and then unlock intermediate and advanced classes as you play, swapping your current played class along the way. Check out the team's full explanation!

Many people have made the observation that the Skyforge class system is non-traditional and unique for an MMORPG. Our decision to design our class system this way was influenced by changes we see in gamers. In recent years we've seen a change in the way people play games, specifically, with the new found popularity of MOBA games. They have fast become the most popular online games and are consistently beating records for participation in various tournaments.

One particular feature that we really like about these types of games is that players are not required to select one specific character for each subsequent game session. At the start of each battle, the gamer can select the class that best suits the battle or simply because they like a certain class. In Skyforge we have kept this feature – players will have constant access to all classes, without the need to progress each class individually!

Remember that when starting a typical MMORPG you are faced with a difficult choice: mage, warrior, archer, thief, and many other classes that look very appealing in their game descriptions. But it becomes even more difficult in class selection when they are further divided by race, so that even if you know you are going to play as a mage you would have to go to the trouble of selecting between an elf mage or a human mage. Let's say that on a whim or after reading through dozens of forum guide pages you select a class and then after spending a month or two developing your character you gradually realize that you do not like it. There could be many reasons for this, but the outcome is the same- you will have to start over and develop a new character.

When you enter the world of Skyforge for the first time you will not have to make this critical and permanent decision. For example, you could chose a Cryomancer, play for half an hour and change your class to a Lightbinder or even a Paladin, if long-range combat is not your thing. There is always the ability to change your class and with time, as you develop your character, more and more classes will become accessible.
SF_AscensionAtlas_Screenshot.jpg

In Skyforge classes are divided into several groups depending on access level. Beginners have access to three classes at the start of the game – Lightbinder, Paladin and Cryomancer. Gradually, after completing various adventures and receiving rewards, intermediate and advanced classes, with 5 in each, become accessible. For example, a Berserker is an intermediate class and it will take several days from the start of the game to gain access to it. However, to play as a Gunner you would have to spend several weeks developing your character because it is in the advanced group.

Moreover, as we have already said you can change your class anywhere and at any time as long as you or your group, is not in combat. You do not need to waste time going to a special place in a certain town – you can change class whenever and wherever necessary.
SF_Gunner_Screenshot.jpg

For many players our class system opens new horizons, but those that stick to one role probably ask why is this change necessary if I am just going to play with long range combat classes? The answer to that lies in the fact that there is a large number of classes with one role but each of them have their own unique qualities. Cryomancer and Gunner are both long range combat classes, but they are completely different in terms of style and gameplay. If you like to smash enemies that cross your path without stopping before anyone, a Gunner is an ideal choice. If you prefer positional combat, then a Cryomancer is an excellent candidate due to its crowd control skills. A Lightbinder is not just a DD, but also an excellent support class with additional protection skills. Close combat classes can also differ greatly from each other. For example, a Paladin is a DD oriented towards a single target. However, a Berserker will feel fairly comfortable in combat with a large number of opponents because its skills are more focused on area damage. Players will find their own entertainment here: by progressing this and other classes, they will gradually master a role, perfecting the art of close or long range combat.
SF_Lightbinder_Screenshot.jpg

You can focus on maxing out your character by playing and developing one type of class, but there is also the option of going further and developing classes which fit other roles in a group. In many MMORPGs you may have come across groups that needed to fill a specific role. "Need Tank Last Slot!". Sound familiar?

In this case several people can wait for hours for a tank to go on an adventure. In Skyforge the risk of not finding the required class is very minimal – in all likelihood you'll have a friend or someone already in the group who has opened and developed the required class. And even if they have not it only takes a few minutes to become a Paladin and open up the first few skills in the Progress Chart. The class switch system is designed so that even when you first switch classes from a class you've developed, the new class you switch to will also be as developed. This is because the main attributes are tied to the character and not the class. We have written about this in more detail in the article on the Ascension Atlas.
SF_Berserker_Screenshot.jpg

Have you ever come across a situation inside a dungeon where the boss stubbornly defeats the entire group and even switching tactics, maximum buffs and using potions do not make any dramatic difference? After trying a few more times, players often leave empty-handed deciding to try the adventure again later.

In Skyforge, changing classes opens up dozens of new strategies in raids or even against regular monsters. If a boss has increased resistance to long distance attacks - you need to switch to Berserker or Paladin and inflict damage close range. There are many examples of this type of strategy, teamwork as well as effective class redistribution that can decide the outcome of a battle.

Tactics are also important in PvP! In addition to the obvious advantage in battles you should not forget about the strategic basis for a class selection. During battle at the Ring of Immortals arena, players need to capture strategic points. If you want to get the enemy out of an occupied area, it is easier to do so with a Gunner and Lightbinder, but to maintain your hold of the point you will need another combination – for example a Berserker and Lightbinder. There are many options; teamwork and player ingenuity will also play an important role. Thus, in Skyforge there cannot be good or bad classes for PvP and victory depends solely on your skill.

When you select a class in the game you will always know that you're not locked into that class. For you can switch to another role and open a new world for yourself by playing for another class. Tactics in PvP and raids, game diversity, development of new builds - all this is possible with the opportunity to change classes at any moment.

Credits to Massively

Retro

So you think within 6 month something will change? Why haven't posted any public info about their numbers?

. . .

MegaServer was introduced to combat the fact of low population across a wide number of servers.

I meant that the Reddit thread you were linking to is 6 months old and complaining about an issue that no longer exists since Megaservers were added in the April Feature update. There's nothing that needs to change, the system has been in place game-wide for more than 3 months.

As to the second comment, Megaservers weren't introduced to combat low server populations but low zone populations. In level-based MMOs the population density inevitably shifts towards max level, leaving the lower-level zones unpopulated. Instead of each server having their own copy of Zone A, Megaservers now create a singular copy that everyone filters into, and creates more as needed. The result is that zones appear less empty.

They've actually increased the server caps several times since launch, so if anything they're more populated.

Edit: Dude, how do you get away with quadruple bumping your own thread?
JUWnj.gif

Authority

Banned
I meant that the Reddit thread you were linking to is 6 months old and complaining about an issue that no longer exists since Megaservers were added in the April Feature update. There's nothing that needs to change, the system has been in place game-wide for more than 3 months.

As to the second comment, Megaservers weren't introduced to combat low server populations but low zone populations. In level-based MMOs the population density inevitably shifts towards max level, leaving the lower-level zones unpopulated. Instead of each server having their own copy of Zone A, Megaservers now create a singular copy that everyone filters into, and creates more as needed. The result is that zones appear less empty.

They've actually increased the server caps several times since launch, so if anything they're more populated.

JUWnj.gif

In every highly populated MMOrpg there are people everywhere. Even 24/7 in smaller doses; on alts, crafting, roreplaying, doing quests, story-driven content, fates, hunts, exploration, puzzles, PvP, Dailies, whatever. Unless you are as old as World of Warcraft.

In older MMOrpgs, pre-WoW era, that was a given. And we are not even talking about millions of subs either. So it doesn't matter if it is a starting zone or not. Unless again the game is designed so bad that it supports zones to become dead-zones.

However, you are still not answering the main question. Where are the numbers? Why we never have numbers with Guild Wars 2?

No one knows, other than there are definitely less than the 3.5m (or whatever it is) that bought it playing now.

Anet are probably the least transparent company in regard to this, some games like WOW ,EVE online, etc give actual figures, others like Rift, LOTRO, etc put server logins on their API so even though that does not give an actual number, it still gives you a good idea of the ups and usually downs (as is the case in most MMOs) of the population.

Even beyond that other games often have a far more complete player search to the point you can at least see how your own server is faring population wise.

Lastly the "megaserver" technology removes even the ability to gauge from how many people are at popular hubs, how active starter zones are, etc.

The only ways to really gauge things now are sPvP queues, WvW activity, guilds members activity, I'd say it was pretty clear the numbers in sPvP whilst better than the low point, are still consdierably down on the first 7 months or so, I'd also add that whilst number of people playing sPvP is up on the lowest point, a fair few of them are not what you would call PvP players, they are there for acheivement points

For WvW at least EU, there has been a pretty steady decline, only temporarily boosted by PvE players popping up for the tournaments, currently WvW is about as empty as it has ever been, I'm on Desolation and at 11.45am on a Saturday morning we have no queues yet are ticking for 500 against the 4th/8th rank servers who have barely anyone playing, even on reset yesterday Elona the 4th ranked server, basically could only fill one borderland with very little elsewhere, it may be summer, but compared to a year ago...

The reality is if the game had wonderful population figures, or miracle of miracles was actually growing like WOW or EVE did for years, they would publish them, because like most MMO developers they are quite happy to shove facts down your throat when it puts them in a good light, but become strangely tight-lipped when the news is not so good, the absence of facts, tells you the population is mediocre or worse.

peak concurrency was 460k people last year.
1c2c9GW2_Anniv_Infographic-590x3215.jpg

See again. They never posted active population and they never will.

Guild_Wars_2_is_dying.jpg

Because it is not high. It is as simple as that. The norm in MMOrpgs now, what is expected is 1m+. We are past the thousands and hundreds of thousands. We are getting more interlinked with other servers through World vs World or other types of interlinking to achieve PVE or PVP content.

Guild Wars 2 is still alive from its PVE community. Its SPVP is dead, its WvW is barely alive and ESO has drawn a large amount from it. It was expected. Nothing mind-blowing about it. WildStar is indeed suffering as well,

[Carbine Staff]Cougarp

So this is a topic near and dear to my heart. It is also soooo hard to talk about given that I can't actually talk real numbers due to finance concerns, proprietary information and all that rigmarole.

Short version? The realms are fine.

Longer version? Okay, so everyone complained about queues in the launch +2 week time frame? Well this is because many people were binge playing. During launch and during the binge playing, you get a TON more overlap in concurrency because players are just playing longer. Two people that play 6hr during launch might overlap to create higher concurrency, when maybe now they are only playing 2 hours each and those 2 hours don't actually overlap any more. Thus those two aren't building the Peak Concurrency, they are just adding to the normal population.

If we had opened up more realms than we did (instead of needing to open the realms based on the spike in demand that we had that Gaff talked about in a few of his interviews), we'd potentially be in a bad state right now. Because we didn't, and we did have queues (as crappy as it is to be in a queue when you want to play) it was the right decision for the long term health of the game. Now that the populations are starting to settle into their long term patterns and aren't binge playing anymore, the realms are nice and plump. They aren't bursting at the seams, we don't see many queues any more, and there is plenty of activity for everyone to enjoy their game mode of choice.

As far as the "lows" and "mediums" that people are seeing, don't get confused or psyched out by the names. Our individual realm capacity is larger than what you are used to, and as long as you are finding people to play the content with you that you enjoy, who cares what it says there? At one point I talked about removing the "low" "medium" and "high" nomenclatures to say something else (maybe: off peak, populated, and busy) but it felt too much like "spin" and I ultimately backed away from it. Spin is just not what we do here.

So yes, peak concurrency has dropped since launch, and that's totally to be expected. That's exactly how MMO's work as people stop binge playing and get into their normal routines (and not everyone binge plays, but enough do that it is a predictable phenomenon). We still do need to earn everyone's loyalties and subscriptions, and we are working hard to make everyone that we can into our long term customers. From the Strain patch that is coming, to the work we are doing to make the game better, to the efforts of the GSU team and removing the bad guys from the game, to us just telling you how it is with as little spin as possible.

Our tag line isn't just fluff/PR speak, and as we get into our normal rhythm of running this awesome game, we will have more and more chances to show you the truth of that statement.

So what are you doing reading this? You've got PvP/Housing/Questing/Econ PVP/Lore/Raiding/Exploring/ ALL THE THINGS to do. So go do those things rather than listen to this Ops Guy ramble :)

Developers have got allot to learn it seems. It should never be a given to lose so many players the first launch. You have to remember that so many wanted to play your game because there is something there and they have paid for it before hard. So something is not right. Something is definitely not right.

If they had millions of subs you think the Carbine would not publish that number? Don't be naive not even for a second. They would have give a /shout to the whole world. When things don't run well that is when the legal bullshit limitations and restrictions starts to run. It is simple.

Also, irrelevant but I have unsubbed from Final Fantasy XIV for good. I have reached a point where it was impossible (and I mean it) to pass old content. You would have to literally treat it as a second job and ironically enough more than 50% of the community has not cleared that old content. You want to know why?

Duty fucking finder - Randoms, randoms, randoms. I can give you a thousand examples of endless wasted hours waiting either through that or through Party Finder. Unless you have a big group of people or a guild willing to help you to go through everything (and bear in mind EXtreme in there is extreme to name one). So my advice if you are going to start that game find a proper FC for that or spend the days and weeks praying for a blessing group in a random hour shows.

In older MMOs you had servers with proper communities, you had many people that went with you and taught you for many and many times. There was content you had to practice multiple times for better gear and proceed.

So personally for me, turning my enjoying in months of old content into a second job is not something I value my money forth.

Good news is that I got accepted to VOTF (international competitive gaming community; from GW1, Aion, ect) so I will be playing ArcheAge with them from day one (yeah I know I still secretly believe that they will not fuck it up in the end).

Edit1: Because I am awesome.
Edit2: Because this thread is mainly about updating with new information regarding MMOrpgs and small talk in-between.

terrisus

JUWnj.gif

Well, he got Juniored after making it, so may as well ride it out I guess.

His loss - as I have for the past 15+ years, I'm enjoying a variety of MMORPGs.

terrisus

No I didn't you liar.

And tell me all about this great variety of MMOrpgs. I am all ears.

So you got Juniored before making it?

And, EverQuest, Ultima Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and EverQuest: Landmark are the ones that I am actively playing.

Authority

Banned
So you got Juniored before making it?

And, EverQuest, Ultima Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and EverQuest: Landmark are the ones that I am actively playing.

When is Everquest Next coming out? Why are they so silent about it? And why do you like Everquest Landmark?

terrisus

No clue about Next, I've just been focusing on Landmark for now.

And, while I'm absolutely horrible at anything creative, I've really enjoyed through all of the things that other people have been creating. It's been very fun.

Retro

I feel like I'm making a mistake wading into your post here, but oh well....

In every highly populated MMOrpg there are people everywhere. Even 24/7 in smaller doses; on alts, crafting, roreplaying, doing quests, story-driven content, fates, hunts, exploration, puzzles, PvP, Dailies, whatever. Unless you are as old as World of Warcraft.

Oh, there are people everywhere in Guild Wars 2 as well, even before the implementation of Megaservers, but after the change they're positively jumping in a way that reminds me of just after launch when the population was more evenly distributed across the level range.

However, you are still not answering the main question. Where are the numbers? Why we never have numbers with Guild Wars 2?

See again. They never posted active population and they never will.

Oh, that's the easy one; ArenaNet's policy is to not release that information;
Devon Carter said:
In addition, we don’t release specific numbers in terms of populations, queues, etc. and I can’t comment directly on those statistics. (source)

Why, I'm not sure. It may have something to do with trade secrets or it could be your assertion that the population isn't that high and your implication that they're trying to hide it. We'll never know, and trying to paint it as an issue or non-issue is pretty pointless. The game is getting regular updates and shows no signs of slowing down two years in, so whatever the population is, it's enough to sustain the game.

Because this thread is mainly about updating with new information regarding MMOrpgs and small talk in-between.

Doesn't that go against GAF's rules against Megathreads though? Surely new news = new thread? Anyways, I wasn't picking on you (I added the emoticon because I could kind of see how it might be taken that way), I just think it's funny to check this thread and it's back-to-back-to-back-to-back posts. Very unusual, usually people try to avoid doing that and I always feel like I've screwed up when I accidentally double post. Must not be a problem though.

Sectus

Me: Is IP block being planned?

Brian: Yes, we do plan to restrict IP base on region.

That's very disappointing. That means there's a few friends I won't be able to play with. It's especially annoying since the netcode in the game is pretty good. High ping only barely affects the game.

How bad is it?

I tried Scarlet Blade. It's got some clever writing, and it's got a couple good ideas (I like the auto running which works across zones), but it's really generic otherwise.

No I didn't you liar.

And tell me all about this great variety of MMOrpgs. I am all ears.

I think most of the stagnation is with high budget MMOs. You have lots of hype for games like FF14 and Elder Scrolls Online, but they're still following the WoW formula. I think most of the original ideas I've seen with MMOs is with Korean developers. There's games like Voyage Century (sea battles), Vindictus (mission based, action combat), and Granado Espada (control 3 characters at once, absolutely amazing music). But all of those seemed to have gone under the radar (although, to be fair, a few of the ones I mentioned aren't that great despite some really original ideas).

I hope Black Desert gets noticed by people and the press. It'll be a huge shame if it ends up going under the radar as it's easily the best and unique MMO I've tried. And if it becomes popular, maybe it'll encourage other developers to try more new ideas with their MMOs.

Beepos

Another MMO Australian gamers won't be able to ever play (if it even goes to the West). Yay for us!

Why is that... curious? I seem to go fine in GW2, although this does look a lot more involved.

So I don't care what MMO I play, I just like a large good population and feeling that I am not alone. I am playing Frostmourne in WoW (being an aussie) I assume this will best fit as WoW still has the largest concurrent player base?

Beepos

To be fair I have always heard the worst with MMOs and Australia. Not trolling but what MMOs do you actually have there so far?

Warhammer had aus servers at launch which was great before the game became a ghost town due to all its issues.

Swotor had them as well before I believe culling them due to low population after awhile.

Otherwise it's living the 100-200+ms dream, depending on time, location and your individual Internet connection. (At least we got Diablo 3 thank goodness.)

Authority

Banned
That's very disappointing. That means there's a few friends I won't be able to play with. It's especially annoying since the netcode in the game is pretty good. High ping only barely affects the game.

I tried Scarlet Blade. It's got some clever writing, and it's got a couple good ideas (I like the auto running which works across zones), but it's really generic otherwise.

I think most of the stagnation is with high budget MMOs. You have lots of hype for games like FF14 and Elder Scrolls Online, but they're still following the WoW formula. I think most of the original ideas I've seen with MMOs is with Korean developers. There's games like Voyage Century (sea battles), Vindictus (mission based, action combat), and Granado Espada (control 3 characters at once, absolutely amazing music). But all of those seemed to have gone under the radar (although, to be fair, a few of the ones I mentioned aren't that great despite some really original ideas).

I hope Black Desert gets noticed by people and the press. It'll be a huge shame if it ends up going under the radar as it's easily the best and unique MMO I've tried. And if it becomes popular, maybe it'll encourage other developers to try more new ideas with their MMOs.

Don't you think that this is the greatest irony since these "shitty Korean Devs that only know how to make grindy-ass-MMOrpgs for no-lifers" are the ones who make a break through where as the "liberal, creative and originalale-day-one" Western Devs are still stuck with World of Warcraft formula?

lol sorry that sounded like a self-hating-Westerner post.

And I found my new hero - Ihatemmorpgs. Let us all jump in the hate train!

Doesn't that go against GAF's rules against Megathreads though? Surely new news = new thread? Anyways, I wasn't picking on you (I added the emoticon because I could kind of see how it might be taken that way), I just think it's funny to check this thread and it's back-to-back-to-back-to-back posts. Very unusual, usually people try to avoid doing that and I always feel like I've screwed up when I accidentally double post. Must not be a problem though.

Well for me it is common sense to have one dedicated-megathread with regular updates and discussion. It is like a small subsection of the gaming forum. MMOrpgs are not single player games where you finish them and you are done. They are online "endlessly" so you would have to literally spam Neogaf with every thread of "updates" or "news". Why not have one place that tries at least to gather every MMOrpg-related-content into one thread? Why not have as many as possible "MMOers" gathered into one place to get their regular "fix" (daily, weekly updates of MMOrpgs)?

I know most if not all want to come in here and read stuff and that is fine by me. I always try to gather the best material possible worthy of updating or of interest. So I will never post something like "GAME UPDATE 1.3.45 shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" because there is no need to and I find it boring. Neogaf has already got a community-based thread for every MMOrpg that is popular here.

So I don't know what is against. I just know I saw a gap and wanted to fill it in.

/Signed

~The humble me.

Zap any MMOrpg you are playing or going to play?

Sykotik

I hereby thank you, Authority, for taking the time to update this thread yourself. It's very convenient to be able to find a collection of MMO news in one place.

While I'm here, are there any MMOs worth wasting time with? I don't care for GW2 and I'd rather not play WoW again. FF14's combat was too slow and I didn't care for Wildstar. I rarely dabble in PvP. I'm more of a PvE person.

I'm interested in Black Desert, though. Hopefully that turns out okay.

Sectus

I hereby thank you, Authority, for taking the time to update this thread yourself. It's very convenient to be able to find a collection of MMO news in one place.

While I'm here, are there any MMOs worth wasting time with? I don't care for GW2 and I'd rather not play WoW again. FF14's combat was too slow and I didn't care for Wildstar. I rarely dabble in PvP. I'm more of a PvE person.

You could check out Vindictus. It leans more towards action RPG with its mission based structure and action combat. It feels more time friendly than other MMOs since missions are rarely longer than 10 minutes.

Be prepared for some jank though. The UI is messy at times, and the translation is bad here and there. And if you always need an open world in your online RPGs, you will be disappointed. It is completely free to play though, so there's nothing to lose by trying it.

Icomp

Have you tried Tera: Rising? I for one really loved the combat in that one. Even though the quests and whatnot is a bit repetetive the combat really makes it worthwhile.

Zaptruder

Banned
Zap any MMOrpg you are playing or going to play?

Last played FFXIV. Interested in BDO... but unlikely to past the trying out a new thing phase - simply because I can't afford the time sink of a MMO.

Having said that, MMO systems by and large are immensely intriguing to me.

jackal27

Banned
Just had a 2 hour conversation with friends about how MMO's need to be evolving to reach the Minecraft generation. MMOs need more freedom to create, be whatever you want to be, go where ever you want to go. One thing I hate about MMOs is how they lock you into this STUPID story you probably care nothing about.

Your story is your story. The things that happen to you that you can tell your friends about. It's why people love D&D after all these years. Why don't we have MMOs that provide the kind of freedom that allows players to wind up in crazy situations? Or just build a quiet life away from the action?

We came to the conclusion that we hope No Man's Sky has a few of the elements we're craving and that MMOs can learn a thing or two from it. Let's make MMOs that actually feel like living, breathing worlds with living, breathing people. That can be scary, but I think it'll be worth it. The genre needs to evolve.

Doombacon

Your story is your story. The things that happen to you that you can tell your friends about.

This seems to be the goal EQ Next has in mind. With procedural generated quests and events, things that happen on one server may never happen on any others. In addition to terrain destruction and player made buildings via Landmark it might end up being just the MMO the younger generation will latch on to.

Authority

Banned
Really, really, really sorry but I had 3 hours of sleep and have been up since 7am because I had allot of things to do until now so I can barely quote back some of you to help you out.

Something that came on my radar randomly.

Gloria Victis - Pre-alpha gameplay footage

Looks dooooooope.

and

Destiny infographic reveals massive beta numbers
destiny_beta_infographic.jpg

We already know that Destiny's beta was big -- on the order of 4.6 million testers big -- but a recently released infographic by Bungie piles on the numbers to give you a clue as to what this avalanche of fans has been up to during the testing process.

Among the stats revealed were 6.5 million characters created, an 853K concurrency rate on Saturday, 3.7 billion kills, and 777K users of the official phone app. "At its peak, the Destiny beta became the most simultaneously played Bungie game of all time," Bungie said. "There were more people online at the same time to play Destiny than any other game in our history."

You can check out the full infographic after the jump!

Credits to Massively

Really, really, really sorry but I had 3 hours of sleep and have been up since 7am because I had allot of things to do until now so I can barely quote back some of you to help you out.

Something that came on my radar randomly.

Gloria Victis - Pre-alpha gameplay footage

Looks dooooooope.

and

Credits to Massively

OOOOOH, I remember making the page for that on Giant Bomb, I wonder how it's turning out; sounds damn fun and I like the Green/White livery they had going.

Authority

Banned
OOOOOH, I remember making the page for that on Giant Bomb, I wonder how it's turning out; sounds damn fun and I like the Green/White livery they had going.

The only negative so far is the lack of correspondence from the Devs. It has been barely a year and they haven't upload it anything new yet.

Just had a 2 hour conversation with friends about how MMO's need to be evolving to reach the Minecraft generation.

Not sure if you missed these links but just to be sure,

http://www.ihatemmorpgs.com/
http://massauthority.blogspot.co.uk/

First one is highly recommend it though you do need an iron stomach for it. Second one is mine and I usually save there my "thesis"; thesis for me means ultimate statement, that I often right here and there about MMOrpgs. Also you can search for Corpsealot on Youtube. Not sure if any of your links are in the same mindset or interest as you or your friend, but although us "3" are different, I think we all share the same thought for the future; more sandbox please!

No need to thank me. Thank you for finding it at least worthy of your time. To be honest, and this is strictly my own way on things, the only MMOrpg that offers truly sociable community to the extend that you would expect on an open-world PVPVE and a great PVE system in combination with I believe, one of the best combats on the market, is PSO2.

Note that I have not played it yet but that is what my guts tell me. Feel free to visit PS0 World and register there if you have any issues installing the game with the English Patch.

Last played FFXIV. Interested in BDO... but unlikely to past the trying out a new thing phase - simply because I can't afford the time sink of a MMO.

Having said that, MMO systems by and large are immensely intriguing to me.

I am still somewhat gutted that Destiny will not come to PC but to be honest I do not think it would be the MMO I thought it would be. Saw some footage of Star Citizen and Goddam game is hot. Well at least the physics.

Authority

Banned
New gameplay

I am not sure how to feel about Skyforge. Erm. It just comes off me as really uninteresting at the moment. Must be cause I am tired. I don't know really.

Activision notes industry-wide downturn in pre-orders

Activision has noticed an industry-wide downturn in video game pre-orders, previously thought to be the best indicator a publisher has for demand. Publishers have long used pre-orders to help work out how popular their games will be, and to convince shops to stock their shelves with their products. They often encourage gamers to pre-order by offering exclusive content. Indeed the recent Destiny beta was initially restricted to those who had pre-ordered the game. But it seems the influence of pre-orders may be on the slide.

Last night, during an investor relations conference call, Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg was asked about pre-orders and how they relate to the company's raft of titles due out this year, including first-person shooters Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Destiny. He said pre-orders were on the decline not just with Activision games but across the industry, and suggested a number of reasons for the trend. Increased digital consumption is one factor, Hirshberg said, particularly on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Another is games being widely available the day they launch, so there's less need to pre-order to guarantee you get a copy. These two factors, coupled with a decline overall for demand on the last generation of consoles, means pre-orders are down across the board.

In response to this, Activision is looking at other ways to work out how popular its video games will be, such as "purchase intent" and "awareness". "It's important to note that pre-orders are just one data point that we look at when determining the momentum of a franchise," Hirshberg said, before calling for analysts to "reset expectations" on pre-orders. Apparently Destiny's "awareness" is "at an all-time high and climbing when compared to any other new game intellectual property this distance from launch", Hirshberg said. "Purchase intent" is also at an all-time high and rising compared to any other intellectual property. The hugely successful open beta, which saw 4.6m players, probably had something to do with that.

"So all of those add to our sense of momentum for the launch," Hirshberg concluded.

Credits to Eurogamer

Albion Online
Trailer
albiononlinelogoizq1.jpg

The Albion Online site has been completely reworked to give fans and players easier access to the information they want to know about the forthcoming title. In addition, the first details have been revealed about Founders Packs. Founders Packs, each with a variety of in-game perks, can be purchased for $99.95, $49.95 or $29.95.

Founder’s packs are a great way for community and developer to interact in a way that supports the achievement of a common vision of the game, while also benefitting both parties.

Founder’s packs are kits of rewards, such as access to alpha and beta testing and unique, exclusive in-game items, which players purchase, with all proceeds going directly to the development of a bigger, better game. In this way a developer gets support, the quality of the final product increases, and fans who want to show their support are rewarded with cool gear and the chance to test the game.

By buying a founder’s pack for Albion Online, you are directly contributing to helping Sandbox Interactive make Albion Online the game we all want it to be.

The Social Hub: We Are Not ‘Entitled’

The whole notion of MMO gamers being “entitled” is way overblown. There, I said it. We’re at the point where we’ve seen a couple of major releases this year so far, and we’re seeing talk all over the place --from gaming publications, to social media to forums--about whether the releases that came with subscriptions attached should or will go free to play, and how long that will take. Comments are made, the gates thrown open, and often, opinions clash while more moderate voices navigate somewhere in between. Yet, a single accusation keeps popping up, used partly as a pejorative and partly as an assumed fact of life. MMO gamers are so entitled these days, it goes, always wanting everything for free and wanting everything to be exactly what they each want. It’s an argument parroted all over the place, through many game communities every day. Yet, aside from cases where there are players that might be better served with some anger management courses, players are being unfairly labeled as “entitled”. It’s a dismissive tactic and it’s overblown. Here’s why.

The argument over whether a game is going to go free to play is common today. For several years now, we’ve seen most of the releases that launched as subscription titles wind up as hybrid models. Guild Wars 2, of course, launched as a buy to play title with a cash shop, and The Secret World converted to a buy to play model with paid expansions and a shop. Arguments about double dipping and about feeling “nickel and dimed” have happened thousands of times over the past half decade, but we’re still seeing cash shops. Why? Because they work. People will buy items, pets, and services alongside a subscription in some cases, most prominently WoW, while other companies compete to offer as many ways as they can to entice players to open their wallets when giving their software away for free.

None of this happened as a fluke. Seven or eight years ago, free to play games brought to mind grindy import games with second rate graphics and cheap production values. When Turbine converted Lord of the Rings Online into a hybrid model, allowing players to grind for coins that could be used to purchase cash shop items, change happened. Games weren’t “going” free to play beforehand. They earned their subscriptions or were shut down. Even after LOTRO saw the model become an industry success story, free to play wasn’t an assumption. However, developers and publishers saw that it could save a game, so why not as a launch plan? In other words, players might assume free to play should happen these days, but the carrots were dangled in front of us by the publishers and developers. They offered it to us, and we liked it. Yet now, somehow, it is our fault as gamers that we want more of those things we like.

Calling gamers “entitled” for wanting alternate ways of paying for their experiences that companies have successfully offered up multiple times before they became mainstays. Once developers and publishers showed that there were viable alternatives for players to enjoy, well, that was when it became okay to enjoy them, and even request them in other games too. Sure, some people have their ideas what an MMORPG should be, and others want a PvP release to be more PvE-friendly, and other conflicting notions. Developers should be free to create whatever vision they want to see through. It’s not a sense of entitlement to request or make a purchase decision (whether box, sub, shop, or all) based on options developers have been offering us. Free to play and a sense of sameness weren’t player inventions Once positive response leads to success, copycats will emerge, and then things might have to shift a bit until the pieces fall into place.

Yes, companies have to make money, and they started figuring out ways that worked to do just that. Players enjoy being able to control how much they spend and the ability to log into a game not being contingent upon having paid a subscription that month. Additionally, all the MMORPGs that have emerged over the years, saturating the market? We go back to WoW for a moment because that game set the bar for MMORPG features like questing, well equipped hotbars,raiding, and more. The impact of WoW on the genre is a very large shadow, but many of those features found their way to other games.

Credits to MMOrpg

What do you guys think of Albion Online?

Also here are two interesting titles,

How ArcheAge Captures the ‘Elder Scrolls’ Spirit Better Than ESO

New gameplay

I am not sure how to feel about Skyforge. Erm. It just comes off me as really uninteresting at the moment. Must be cause I am tired. I don't know really.

Credits to Eurogamer

Credits to MMOrpg

What do you guys think of Albion Online?

Also here are two interesting titles,

How ArcheAge Captures the ‘Elder Scrolls’ Spirit Better Than ESO

I'm not sure she's got a stable argument built up instead of against the word "entitlement" and instead erected partial arguments here and there in semi-related topics (especially that devs started it; that doesn't wash the word off of those hit by it, it only paints them as a continuator instead of the instigator). It still remains a good word for sky-high expectations, having all the power in the Developer-Player dynamic, and thoughtless, selfish demanding from a player.

Authority

Banned
I'm not sure she's got a stable argument built up instead of against the word "entitlement" and instead erected partial arguments here and there in semi-related topics (especially that devs started it; that doesn't wash the word off of those hit by it, it only paints them as a continuator instead of the instigator). It still remains a good word for sky-high expectations, having all the power in the Developer-Player dynamic, and thoughtless, selfish demanding from a player.

The article is decent from what I read. Still need to read most of it. For me self-entitlement comes under two forms - either you are a paying customer or you bring customers/money to the game via streaming.

ArcheAge closed beta event kicks off next weekend
20140807070434a0duvuzml7ifo27q.jpg

Trion World today announced that the third ArcheAge Closed Beta event, titled Blood & Bounty, is scheduled to start at 10:00 AM PDT next Thursday, August 14 and run through Monday, August 18 at 10:00 AM PDT.

In the latest producer letter for ArcheAge, the team stated that in the last beta event, they focused on sorting out the billing interface, adjusting the marketplace, and catching bots and scammers, as well as testing the function that "catch the largest number of evildoers possible without affecting legitimate players". The team is also continuing to tweak the complicated labor system.

On the other hand, if you have yet to get a key for ArecheAge's next Closed Beta, participating in this event will be no doubt a good chance to gain one, because the team assured that the event will offer "even bigger with over double the number of invites" for players who sign up for the closed beta on official site. To learn more about the upcoming ArcheAge closed beta event, check out the official site.

Credits to 2p.com

MMORPG.com exposed! Archeage "editorial" is written by paid marketer and here is the controversial article,

ArcheAge Column: How ArcheAge Captures the ‘Elder Scrolls’ Spirit Better Than ESO
AA-Jul23-1_t.jpg

My most memorable moment playing Skyrim involved Lydia, the dutiful, rarely-speaking companion bestowed upon you as a reward for one of the game’s earliest quests. It was my first playthrough, and I quickly learned that my poorly thought-out destruction mage benefited immensely from her unflinching willingness to charge into the thick of battle and start swinging her sword around.

Beyond that sword, there really wasn’t much to Lydia. No backstory, no personal quests, nothing but about half a dozen options of canned dialogue that revealed little beyond that she was sworn to carry my burdens.

Still, after well over twenty hours of traveling with her, I realized she had become nearly as indispensable to my adventures as I myself was. My player character had grown much stronger, surely, and I had improved at playing the game; but all that learning came with her alongside me, and my tactics in battle heavily relied upon her presence. I don’t consider myself a “role player” in the sense that MMO players use the term – I didn’t construct a narrative to explain her presence, nor assign any personality traits to her that weren’t present in the game’s writing – but nonetheless I developed a kind of attachment to her, born out of the practical value that she provided to my gameplay experience.

One day I was sent to clear out a cave of vampires to complete some quest that I’ve long since forgotten, and quite possibly never paid attention to in the first place. Upon entering the cave, Lydia and I were attacked by a fair number of them, and managed to defeat the rush after a somewhat intense fight. But upon looting the corpses, I came across one that I could scarcely believe: Lydia’s. I was stunned. She had been knocked down in battle countless times, but always came running back. The possibility of her actually dying had not occurred to me for quite some time. Yet here we were, in the middle of some random cave, and she was dead. Dead! Like, permanently dead, with no resurrection potion or graveyard to return to for the penalty of 10% durability loss on her armor.
AA-Jul29-1_t.jpg

After recovering from the initial shock, I did the most practical thing I could think of: removed all the materials I had given her to carry – all the “burdens” that she sarcastically referenced - and brought them back to my home in the nearest city for safekeeping. It took multiple trips.

It’s been a year or so since I last played Skyrim, but the memory of making those lonely, shell-shocked trips to and from the cave sticks with me more than anything else I did in the 300-some total hours I ended up investing in the game.

And I think stories like that, more than anything, are the core of the Elder Scrolls experience, at least for many players. The idea that the pinnacle of your adventure is not some scripted point that every player reaches, like Sephiroth running his sword through Aeris, but a moment that is utterly unique to you, derived from your own experiences. The idea that in this insanely popular game that millions of people are playing, I can actually carve out my own story, however small, that has a distinct beginning, middle, and end. It’s almost subversive.

I loved Skyrim for creating the opportunity for moments like that, even while becoming increasingly aware that the game itself was designed with a very different intention in mind. From the rigidly linear guild quests to the straightforward, stock fantasy (at least to my mind) main quest, the game itself seemed to encourage a more traditional approach. The sheer amount of dialogue – all fully voiced! – left precious little room in the margins for improvisation or imagination. Once the player started really engaging with the main elements of the game, the idea of creating one’s own story quickly gave way to completing the heavily-scripted narrative that the developers carefully laid out.

I’m not trying to universalize my own experience, because I am positive that there are players who loved the story told by Skyrim and played the game at face value. But my sense, albeit from entirely anecdotal sources, is that at least a healthy percentage of Elder Scrolls players enjoy playing the world that the game creates quite a bit more than the game itself.

And the inability to recognize this is at the core of why, at least to me, The Elder Scrolls Online is a creative failure.

My experience with ESO is no different than many I’ve read: I played the beta, bought the game (the Imperial Edition, of course), and within a few months have stopped playing entirely. I bear no animosity towards the game, nor do I have any hot takes about the subscription fee, or cash store, or lack of auction house, or any of the various in-game systems.

No, I believe the chief failure of ESO is its inability to capture the spirit of creating your own story, much less incentivize the player for doing so.

During the beta, I was impressed with the number of random treasure chests and crafting nodes scattered around the map, hidden in places that quests wouldn’t take you, as a way to encourage exploration. But what you realize after investing considerable time in the game is just how petty that is, and how little it makes any difference at all to the game’s main objectives.

And those objectives are made crystal clear from the start, in the form of a main quest that progresses every five levels and offers such rewards that you’d be foolish not to partake in it. Upon completion of that quest, you respawn in another faction’s starting zone, and continue to level via that faction’s quests, as well as the “veteran” group content that becomes available.

There is no ambiguity about the intended “goal” of the Elder Scrolls Online: first to complete the main quest, then ultimately to gain power in the form levels, skills, and gear in order to be competitive in the open-world PvP or PvE group content. I’m sure there are people who have the commitment to role playing to make something else their personal goal, which is noble, but also essentially unsupported by all of the game’s systems.

ESO doubles down on Skyrim’s commitment to dialogue, bringing voice-acting to MMOs on a previously unheard of level. It’s certainly impressive, but also serves to reinforce the heavy focus on the story that the game wants to tell you as opposed to the one you create yourself. This sense becomes even stronger once you realize that the nominal choices you are making in dialogue are irrelevant to the long-term goal of accumulating levels, skills, and gear.

My most depressing moment in Elder Scrolls Online involved trying to make my own adventure. On my second character – my first was a Nightblade, which turned out to not be viable at the time by the developers’ own admission – I decided to commit myself to creating my own story in the mid-game. So I started ignoring quest hubs and exploring, picking up only those that interested me, and relying on the experience gained through opening chests, exploring, and killing enemies.
ArcheAge%2005_t.jpg

I was particularly interested in “Public Dungeons,” solo-able and often-underground areas resembling the ruins that you’d find in previous Elder Scrolls games. Many quests would lead you to them, but I was confident that through exploration, I’d find some that were well off the beaten path, only sparsely populated by other players, and maybe through that I’d experience I’d be able to create a story somewhat unique to me.

Nope. Time and again, I’d enter a dungeon and fight my way to the boss, only to be greeted by a dozen players camping him, killing him over and over again as soon as he respawns. See, these bosses can drop valuable items, so farmers and smart players alike kill them repeatedly for gold, experience, and crafting materials. I’d join them, of course, because I’d be foolish not to. Levels, skills, and gear, right? But eventually, I realized that I was living the same story as everyone else, decided that story wasn’t worth the time, and quit.

It’s easy to chalk this up to the very nature of MMOs. Good luck finding anything productive to do in WoW that hasn’t been done by a million other people, right? Online gamers have become relentlessly savvy at reasoning out the most efficient ways to achieve a game’s goals and attacking them for all they’re worth, even if doing so decreases the overall enjoyment for everyone involved by, say, requiring them to sit for hours in the same spot and kill the same enemy over and over again. It’s a depressing example of game theory, where each player is doing something because if he or she stops doing it and everyone else doesn’t stop, everyone else will more quickly achieve the levels, skills, and gear required to complete the goals that the game is pushing players towards.
ScreenShot0021_t.jpg

Changing this behavior without disincentivizing it is a losing battle, yet removing the push towards levels, skills, and gear is a non-starter. So it’s hard to blame ESO for failing to capture the spirit of the Elder Scrolls series when it conflicts with the very nature of the MMO genre. Right?

Until last weekend, I thought so, and was more depressed at the state of the genre than the specifics of ESO’s failure.

But then I played the ArcheAge beta, and realized that ESO has just been doing it wrong. If the problem is players relentlessly pursuing the game’s goals to the point that playing is less fun for everyone, then the solution is for the game itself to take a more ambiguous stance towards what its goals actually are.

I’m not here to persuade you to play ArcheAge, or hail it as some kind of revolution. I’ve played it for four days, and upon longer exposure may sour on it myself. I’m not qualified to make any declarations about the quality of the game or its long-term potential.

But I also feel like the conversation surrounding it is obscuring the single most important thing about it, something that is largely independent from the quality of the game or the specifics of its systems.

Gamers throw around terms like “Sandbox” and “Pay to Win” as if they are hard black-and-white measurables as opposed to buzzwords that vaguely refer to situations that are clearly on a continuum, and a heavily subjective one at that. Reading people argue online about computer games is like reading people argue about politics on Facebook, where there’s an entire vocabulary that’s been created or co-opted for the purpose of such arguments, during which the participants bicker about the meaning of words in that very vocabulary. Is this a sandbox? Is that a theme park? I don’t know; but more importantly, when did this become an issue of semantics?

From the ArcheAge beta, the one conclusion I feel comfortable drawing is that the game does not push you towards a particular end-game goal. It certainly encourages you to participate in the main quest, but as gamers are fond of saying, the real game doesn’t begin until you’re at the max level anyway, and hitting the max level (currently 50) in ArcheAge does not seem like a particularly daunting task.

The game does feature a dungeon/raiding structure, but it’s far less robust than WoW or its counterparts. There is no group finder, and dungeon choices appear fairly limited, though they still provide the requisite gear drops. ArcheAge’s most powerful gear, however, is reportedly available only through crafting, and most articles about the game seem to remark on its intricate and wide-ranging profession system. In broad strokes, the conclusion most everyone has come to is: crafting is very important.

Which, based on my limited experience, seems absolutely true. But the more interesting question to me is, important to what end? Because while you can craft the expected swords, armor, and potions, much of the game’s crafting revolves around items not directly related to levels, skills, and gear: furniture, trade goods, ships, songs (songs!), siege weaponry, and hundreds, possibly thousands more.

And these items are far from cosmetic in value. Say you want to be a farmer. You can certainly use what you grow to create potions or food for buffs, as in other MMOs. Or you can focus on growing food with the purpose of bundling your crops into “trade packs,” which can be transported to another town and turned in for a sum of gold or other valuable items. The longer and more treacherous your trip, the bigger the reward you receive. Maybe your goal in the game is to, through trade, become so rich that you can afford to purchase and maintain a mansion, or even a castle, collecting taxes from other players who live on your lands and paying an army of fellow players to defend them.

Or maybe your goal is to prey on those merchant players who are transporting goods. Maybe you pour your resources into building the fastest ship and acquiring powerful gear, then put that gear to use towards hunting down other players who are pursuing their goal of gold accumulation, stealing their trade packs and turning them in yourself. Maybe you want to become the most hated player on your server, not through annoying people over Trade Chat, but through absolutely ruining entire merchant fleets and causing other players massive monetary losses.

Or maybe you do want to raid and beat the game’s biggest bosses with your guild. Maybe you want to work the auction house and build your fortune that way. Maybe you want to gather and help your guild build its castle, or grind enemies for profit and materials. Maybe you want to do a little of all of these things, or maybe you want to do something else entirely. After getting you started with rather routine quests and incentivizing you to embark on the main quest, the game seems to gradually pull back from funneling you in any particularly direction. Whether or not you call that a “Sandbox,” I don’t care; but to me, it’s rather exciting.

My most memorable moment from the ArcheAge beta happened on Sunday night. After a couple days spent questing, our small group of three people (my brother, my friend, and myself) decided to build a ship. This was our goal; there was no accompanying quest, nor any reward beyond the ship itself, which has massive in-game use for trading, pirating, and transportation. The materials were daunting, and given that none of us are yet subscribers, we were at certain disadvantages. But through a combination of making trade runs, choosing the right trees to chop down, a little bit of stealing, hunting for deals on the auction house, and one of us staying logged on all Saturday night, we somehow cobbled together the resources required. At around 10:30 PM Sunday night, after all of us devoted the entire afternoon to the project, our boat touched down in the water, and we celebrated. It felt like an accomplishment, but different than downing a raid boss or winning a roll for a piece of gear. This was something that we decided to do, that we determined the best way to go about doing, and that we judged as being worthwhile. And we accomplished it, through our own means and on our own terms. Of course scores of other people successfully built boats during the beta – and probably much more impressive things, too – but I’m positive that none did it in exactly the same way we did.

In short, ArcheAge provided us the opportunity to create a story outside of the one the game is telling us, the same way that Skyrim did for me years ago. Whatever you want to call that, I feel like it matters.

Kyle Trembley is the Editor-in-Chief of ShowRatings.TV, a user-driven television review website. Follow him on Twitter @KyleLovesTV -> Hello.

I mean I don't know. I just really think it was a very dishonest attempt to bring the whole ESO franchise down and overhype ArcheAge.

Regarding WildStar,

Another one bites the dust: Welcome to NotsoWoWStar

The Attunement Issue - https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/105497-attunement-killed-end-game-original-post-here/page-23

Carbine's response - http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/2csogw/carbine_response_to_attunement_concerns/

Suggestion of World Transfer - https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/102416-any-word-on-server-merges/

Debate on Mega Server - http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/2cvs9u/mega_servers_a_solution_to_merges_and_40person/

We know their numbers are bleeding. We know that many subs are unsubbing. We know quite a few of servers are empty or "ghost towns". We know this game was forced and rushed to release earlier. We know the PVP community is like the GW2 TPVP community; dead. We know this game suffers the amount of bugs not expected for a sub.

Shame. I genuinely thought WildStar would be the one to charm the WoW crowd and move things more forward from there.

Just to elaborate a bit more and I think this post does justice,

Here's what I see:

The real reason I was interested in Wildstar is because I played Vanilla and tBC WoW and Wildstar touted its team of WoW devs. The assumptions I walked away with were that Wildstar's core would be like WoW with all the advances made in the last 10 years of development and none of the bullshit WoW went through.

The problem that seems to be coming up is two fold. One, the people that wanted that core WoW experience are still dealing with bullshit that they expected not to exist. Two, the people that had no idea what core WoW meant are upset at the time investment it's taking them to progress.

Both points are circling back to one central issue: grinds. WoW had some progression that was a grind in every sense of the word. WoW also had some progression that while technically was a grind, couldn't have felt further from it (my favorite being the walk into SW to end the Onyxia chain).

We all know why they exist. The point is that Wildstar was expected to make all of their grinds feel epic and they failed. Hard.

Well to be honest I thought that WildStar would be a Sandboxy. I do not think another themepark will ever catch a large base of World of Warcraft players.

My advice for the ones interested, stay away for a while until things come down. Rage is phenomenal right now so wait and see until Carbine does its game on the game. Either way your choice.

The article is decent from what I read. Still need to read most of it. For me self-entitlement comes under two forms - either you are a paying customer or you bring customers/money to the game via streaming.

Credits to 2p.com

MMORPG.com exposed! Archeage "editorial" is written by paid marketer and here is the controversial article,

Kyle Trembley is the Editor-in-Chief of ShowRatings.TV, a user-driven television review website. Follow him on Twitter @KyleLovesTV -> Hello.

I mean I don't know. I just really think it was a very dishonest attempt to bring the whole ESO franchise down and overhype ArcheAge.

Regarding WildStar,

Just to elaborate a bit more and I think this post does justice,

Well to be honest I thought that WildStar would be a Sandboxy. I do not think another themepark will ever catch a large base of World of Warcraft players.

My advice for the ones interested, stay away for a while until things come down. Rage is phenomenal right now so wait and see until Carbine does its game on the game. Either way your choice.

It's really a shock to me (whose main gripes come from the hodge-podge nature of some map's designs and the "land grab" nature of gearing in PvP) hearing the issues the game has with others, cuz I'm enjoying the shit out of it. Then again, I went in expecting this to be a likely case with people knowing they can get the X that they have to work for, team up for, and plan out ahead of time for in WS they can get by falling off a log in some other game. The end result is the same either way, though...

I'm just not sure anyone at this point can do any flavor of themepark, and it feels as if the zeitgeist has swung way way WAY in the other direction from the sanitized, channelized, nerf-a-plenty mentality of later WoW. People are demanding what they want, but it's not really assured what they ask for they'll like when they get it.

Authority

Banned
Black Desert Online 3rd Closed Beta Scheduled for September Followed by Open Beta This Winter
blackdesertcbt.jpg

Black Desert Online 2nd Beta Sorcerer Gameplay UI 4k

The Black Desert hype continues as Inven News Korea finally unveils a Closed Beta date! The 3rd CBT will kick off starting early next month on September 3rd! (Updated) (Scheduled September) With Daum Games publishing the NA/EU versions of the game, this beta will most likely have an IP block enforced. Lastly, Open Beta is scheduled this Winter. Hype!

Credits to Steparu

Authority

Banned
About Blade & Soul in CN;

This game has got E-radio, QQ (CN-messenger) and Voice-Application in-game! (I was listening to Rihanna - Umbrella, lol)

Blade & Soul (CN) with English Patch - Includes instructions.

Before you do anything I would advise you to CHANGE region and language settings to Chinese Simplified PRC (Administrative tab-> Change system locale) in order to by-pass the system check of the launcher in the end. Follow these links and instructions religiously,

Blade & Soul China - Guide to Downloading and Registering http://www.gameskinny.com/3nzea/blade-soul-china-guide-to-downloading-and-registering

English Patch - http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/16870-english-patch-for-bns-china/

English Guilds - http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/85532-cn-guild-and-server-list-version-3-2014/

BOOSTERS (100% must have) - http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/23074-list-of-acceleratorsboosters-updated/

For more information head over here, Blade&Soul Dojo

About ArcheAge,

Two-worlds at a cross: Final thoughts before the launch.

By Munny

Comparing P2W vs. F2P is the wrong basis argument. Free accounts should always be at a disadvantage because they are free. Period. The real argument here that most people can't seem to articulate is this: The marketplace (buying things with cash) provides a boost over SUBSCRIPTION PAYERS who don't pay extra. That is, in my opinion, the real frustrating issue here.

If I pay a monthly subscription as does someone else, but I also decide to drops lots of cash on marketplace items that provide boosts to my progress and the other player does not do that, then I have a method in which to advance in certain aspects of the game faster than that other player. That is unfair to that player who is also paying the same subscription as I am, but can't or doesn't want to drop a LOT more money on marketplace boost items.

Explained another way, why should a subscription paying player not have the most optimal chance to progress as anyone else, limited only to that person's willingness to put time and skill into the game?
Why should a subscription player need to pay a subscription AND buy marketplace items to "keep up" with others?

For those of you that claim the marketplace items have little or no effect consider a few key items:

• The worker comp potions allow a player to go from regening anywhere from 1,440-2,880 up to 3,440 to 4,880 LP per day. That is a substantial boost. If you are online 10 hours a day you would be able to go from roughly 2000 LP/day to 4000/day. A 100% gain. That double in labor points allows players to do a lot more profit-making activities compared to other subscription paying people.
  • The XP boost for 60 mins from labor is another one that early on can have a big impact even if after a while it becomes less useful. Pile up a lot of mats to make stuff and burn through 5000 LP in 60 mns around level 40 and you'll make 4 levels in 1 hour.
  • Expansion scrolls...you need 10 of those for every account. Again, subscription payers who don't pay the vig on top of the monthly cost end up worse off than those who did pay up the extra. If I pay a subscription, why not get the maximum slots automatically.
  • Make the F2P crowd purchase the perks.Infamy pots....really? Now I can be a pirate without actually being a real pirate. I can steal and grief people and pay money to undo many of the costs of crime points. Regular subscription payers can't do that--unless they pay the extra costs too.
There are lot of other items that allow for short-term boosts or allow one to pay money to not have to spend as much time as someone who doesn't. It's easy to figure out the rest of list on your own.

Yes it does get expensive to do it day in day out. But Trion, just like other MMOs are banking on that 2-5% of "whales" that will spend hundreds to get ahead and stay ahead.

Again, if I'm paying a subscription like everyone else, why should even us small percentage of people be allow to have such an advantage over the subscription payers?

I don't care who gets the advantage over the F2P crowd. They don't even count. But those paying a sub I expect to be the ones with premium status. I don't think subscription payers should be second class to those who will pay hundreds on the marketplace to stay ahead no matter how few they might be. It's an insult to subscription paying players to even allow it.

Leave the marketplace to things like clothes and more interesting pet classes. Limit it to things that, no matter how much you spend, that don't speed your progress even if temporary. That is how you make it fair for subscription paying players.

Treat subscription payer as if they are the customers to keep, not the whales. Otherwise in the long run you will lose subscription payers and be left with 1 whale paying your bills for every 99 players left that will only do F2P and end up dying like every other MMO that fell to the same mistake.

Troll away if you will, but I feel my argument is a very valid explanation of why many of the items allowed on the marketplace will frustrate those that have every intention of paying for a subscription but unfortunately know that they will still be at a disadvantage because Trion will allows the whales to have the advantage.

And for the record, if I decide to play the game upon release I will be one of the 2% paying for lots of boosts. I'll do it because even $100/month is not much to pay for spending 100 hours/month playing a game. I'll do it because I can. I'll quench my thirst upon on the tears of the subscription payers who cry that they can't afford paying hundreds of EXTRA dollars to keep up. And I will still dislike the ability to do it. And I will still hate that Trion choose to force us to go down that path. But after all, it is what they are banking on--that like it or not enough of us will just live with it.

By me

Agreed but they need to change the description. It is not F2P. It is Freemium. F2P is F2P + Cash Shop with cosmetics. Period.

Subs and F2P players cannot exist and they will never be able to exist in an open world PVPVE environment because it is mathematically calculated to lead to imbalance from the get go. You either go for sub or you go for F2P. You don't mix both worlds to suck all the cash you can think of from both worlds. It will drive a large proportion of the playerbase to quit simply because they cannot keep up. So what if the F2P hardcores of the hardcores 1% will still play it?

Do you want money from F2P crowd? Simple.

Have one dedicated team to design,

• Costumes
  • Weapon Skins
  • Cosmetics
  • Mounts
  • Armor for Mounts
  • Dyes
  • Decoration stuff
  • Name Change
  • Sever Transfer
  • Plastic Surgery
F2P players LOVE better external appearance on everything. As simple as that. Would this game benefit mostly if it was sub-only? Of course not. Not a chance. Why is that?

Learn from History - http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?1387-quot-Play-It-Before-You-Complain-quot-or-To-Learn-From-History

The legendary 1.0 controversy - http://archeagesource.com/topic/1704-korean-retail-general-news

Because they fucked it up. Instead of following the vision of the game by the Devs and releasing its full potential, the CEO(s) of XLGames decided to strip away its sandboxness and exploit the core aspects of the game to be sold through a cash shop.

Consequences? It got dropped from 5th position in Korea to 35 and now it is 40+ (I think). And what are we going to get in EU and NA? A different version not only from Korea but also from Russia (there are no inventory slots in the Russian cash shop i.e). Top it up with the flood of bots/hackers, ect this game will get for the obvious reasons apart from lack of anti-protection, and you have got what? Add one of the most idiotic introductory levels from 1-30 of "X kill rats" and I can guarantee you most people into sandbox will quit before reaching 30. Is it because it is something hard to reach that level? No it is because they cannot be bothered, literally be bothered to go through the same shit again they have always done in a themepark.

Think of it this way. You go to a club that advertised a special Trance night. You go in and your hears start to listen to Pop shit. You wait for an hour. You start drinking heavily and 2 hours have passed. By the 3rd hour you say "Fuck this shit. I am done". Do you think that he is going to wait all night to listen to Trance? Of course not.

About Sandbox,

Working As Intended: The unfortunate conflation of sandboxes and PvP

A certain perplexing belief about sandboxes pervades the blog comments, forums, and general chats of MMOs:

All MMO sandboxes are free-for-all PvP games. If it doesn't have free-for-all PvP, it's by definition not a sandbox because sandboxes let the players make all the rules and decisions. Free-for-all PvP adds the necessary spice to keep you on your toes and keep a game fresh. Without it, you may as well be playing The Sims.

All of these statements are wrong.

This topic is something I've wanted to write at length about for a while, but I credit Massively commenters Balsbigbrother and Hagu for lighting this particular fire under me with their nearly identical emails to the podcast asking why sandboxes and open PvP seem so inextricably linked in the minds of players and developers. Hagu even referenced a cringeworthy declaration CCP devs made at EVE Fanfest: "It won't be a true sandbox until you can stab someone in the back." I'm disinclined to let CCP rewrite and claim an entire genre all unto itself, personally.

Examining the sandbox spectrum

So let's first try to define what we mean when we use the word sandbox. Generally, MMO enthusiasts use the word to differentiate a game from a themepark; it's the difference between a virtual world and a self-contained game. A themepark offers a bunch of carefully tuned rides (quests, classes, dungeons) predesigned by professionals, whereas a sandbox provides a box of sand and some toys (building, economies, skill trees) and expects players to make their own fun to some degree. One is an experience that is overtly crafted and weakly reliant on player input, while the other is an experience that is covertly crafted and more heavily reliant on player input.

Confusion sets in when games refuse to adhere to this simplistic dichotomy. Themeparks might offer robust housing systems; sandboxes might offer questing content. Themeparks might include hardcore crafting mechanics; sandboxes might implement levels.

This suggests that most MMOs fall on a spectrum between an unachievable pure themepark and an unachievable pure sandbox. It's a spectrum of stuff, of systems. The more stuff a game has (the more systems available and the more input players have in those systems), the more sandboxy it feels. The less stuff a game has (the fewer systems available and the less players can affect their world), the more themeparky it feels. Most games are more properly sandparks as they have more systems than, say, a lobby-based, MMO-lite ARPG and fewer than a classic everything-box MMORPG, but we all know developers shy away from ambiguous words like sandparks (as they should since labels skew expectations).

Critically, the spectrum also allows for games that intentionally omit what might seem to be core MMO systems, like PvE (Camelot Unchained), combat (Glitch, A Tale in the Desert), global chat (classic Ultima Online), fully mobile bipedal characters (EVE Online), open-world gameplay (Guild Wars), and yes, free-for-all PvP (Star Wars Galaxies). It turns out those aren't make-or-break "core" MMORPG features at all. They're merely common. Arguing that no true sandbox would neglect to include FFA PvP is unconvincing because it arbitrarily elevates a specific design subsystem above all others while ignoring all the other ways developers insert freedom and choice into their sandbox worlds. And limitless freedom is what sandboxes are all about, right? Down with rules!

Actually, freedom in sandboxes isn't limitless at all

Frequently those who argue that open PvP is a definitive mechanic of MMOs claim that FFA is the natural manifestation of the boundlessness of a real sandbox. Players can do anything they want, and that's what makes it so volatile and fun. The developers let players make the rules!

Setting aside for the moment my deep suspicion that this is lazy game design at work, let's think about what we mean by rules. In MMORPGs, there are three sets of rules. We have the math and mechanics that form the structure of the game: everything from the axes of the terrain space to the level cap to the loot tables. Then there's an honor code enforceable by the staff but not hardcoded into the game's design -- think reporting a player for harassment. Finally, there's a social contract between players, which could include proscriptions against AFKing unannounced, training mobs, or swiping an ore node. (Or "sassing someone important," which is usually how these things go down.)

The enforceability of that third and final category is dependent on the first category. MMOs have developed dozens of systems to allow players to punish each other according to player interpretation (or disregard for) such social contracts; these methods include simple mechanisms like group-kicking and chat-blocks, justice systems and jail, and thievery and murder. And while it would be tempting to view these mechanics as freedom, the reality is that every one of these mechanics is another set of rules handed down from the devs and implemented as game code. If a game allows free-for-all PvP, it is only because the devs have designed it that way. By the same token, if a game lacks a pickpocketing mechanic -- as many sandboxes otherwise governed by PvP do -- you're not free to pickpocket.

We're more free in sandboxes than in themeparks because there is by definition more stuff to do, but in both types of game, we're only exactly as free as the developers allow us to be. The pure freedom of a PvP-oriented sandbox is an illusion. All other things being equal, a game with housing but no FFA PvP is just as free as a game with FFA PvP but no housing. Insisting that a player-driven justice system is more important to a sandbox than a player-driven municipal system is ultimately arbitrary and self-serving. PvP is just one more possible system in a game, and sandboxes are bigger than any one system.

The spice must flow

Speaking of self-serving, let's talk for a moment about spice. Proponents of free-for-all, consequence-free PvP wax poetic about how such gameplay adds the necessary "spice" and spontaneity to a sandbox because you never know what will happen next. Will that PC you spotted ahead be a friend or a foe? Who knows? How exciting! Right?

No. FFA PvP actually cloaks players in an aura of permanent suspicion and inevitability, not spontaneity. You go into every single mundane encounter with another person tense and trigger-happy because you can be damn sure that if you hesitate to act, you might soon be eating dirt and watching your new friend pick your corpse dry. While that style of gameplay is fun in spurts, it's depressing and stressful over sustained periods and makes for a poor foundation for anything resembling a gameworld most gamers want to "live" in (let alone pay for) long-term (consider EVE's ongoing retention problems). Sandbox PvP has only gone downhill since the dark days of 1997's Ultima Online; if you hated the way packs of rednames roamed the countryside then, just consider the plight of the modern survival sandbox, where kill-or-be-killed is so common that death amounts to the loss of a loaf of bread.

I won't argue that FFA PvP isn't fun because sometimes it is, especially when you're winning and feeling as if you're part of an epic story so much bigger than you. But it's not the "spice" that makes a sandbox a sandbox, either. It's little more than an FPS plus gear minus defined objectives. Pretending it's the cornerstone of "real" MMORPGs is fantasy at best.

This debate is more than semantics

Ultimately, this quibble over what makes a sandbox a sandbox would be a pointless semantic argument but for one key problem that both Balsbigbrother and Hagu alluded to: Far too many people have been lulled into thinking that, as CCP declared, sandboxes are all about stabbing people in the back. Aside from superior sandboxes like Star Wars Galaxies, now sunsetted and unable to raise its hand to be counted, most of the self-proclaimed sandboxes of the last decade have gone the EVE Online/classic Ultima Online route, selling themselves as PvP-centric worlds and squabbling over that tiny corner of the pro-PvP MMO population that hasn't already wised up and emigrated to MOBAs. It's only been in the last year or two that we've seen a resurgence of sandbox gameplay that isn't overtly murder-centric, and even that progress has been hampered by a simultaneous rise in still more floundering FFA PvP survival sandboxes.

As long as developers and players are convinced (or willing to convince themselves) that "sandbox" is synonymous with "FFA PvP," triple-A MMO studios are going keep pumping out the same tired dichotomy of tame World of Warcraft clones and poorly received EVE Online wannabes, too afraid to make games that don't cleave to the safety of themeparks or generate the hardcore vibe of gankboxes. Even though we have a template for how sandboxes can implement meaningful, consensual PvP, studios will shy away from the subgenre because they need to make money, and they know most players just aren't willing to pay to be someone else's victim. The gankbox stigma is that brutal.

If we want to see new sandboxes that are more than just murder simulators, we must stop allowing FFA PvP games to despoil the term. There is plenty of room in the genre for FFA PvP sandboxes, but they're not the only legitimate contenders.

Credits to Massively

About Rift (60 pages long),

"5% AH posting fee? really Trion"

what happened? 5% just to post an item, what if it doesnt sell? this is ridiculous!

For more head over here - http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/434004-5-ah-posting-fee-really-trion.html

For the last month I played FFXIV for the first time, my first modern MMO (I played galaxies back when it started for a month). I am mostly a single player oriented action/adventure fan so when I view FF and MMOs in general I am really confused. Obviously something about them works, the game world and that quest of always getting better is addicting. But the game design is awful.

1. Everything feels like busy work. Why can't anything be fun outside of dungeons. Why does crafting/gathering have to be nothing but pressing x? Why can't they be based on fun mini games? Some grinding requirements are ridiculous, clearly they were designed to take lots of time so that multiple subscriptions are a must.

2. Why are all quests some form of "go there do that" and all so strict in their design. There is never any surprised to the missions, once you have seen a few you have basically seen then all.

3. Why does the game basically do everything for you? Any attempt at a puzzle or any form of deductive reasoning is pointless as there is always a giant marker telling you where to go or exactly what to do. Granted there are a few riddle quests in the game but they are very few and far between.

4. The tank, healer, dps system I think needs to be thrown out. It forces the different roles to play only one way. As a tank I have to do exactly as all tanks do or the team dies. There is no room for improvisation, every time I enter a new dungeon someone tells me exactly what I should do. Basically MMOs force you to play with a guide of sorts.

5. Going off number 4 all dungeons get mastered quick and everyone follows the same template. So why can't the dungeons have some form of randomness to them? Allow the team to figure out a strategy on the fly, not to just rehearse the winning script.

6. This was mentioned a few pages back, because it is a community based game everyone ends up doing the same tactics to maximize leveling. Every hunt plays out the same way, every boss battle uses the same strategies, everyone is finding the quickest ways to get the best loots. For a game about a massive world and creating your own character there is almost no discovery at all.

I was addicted, the formula these guys have created absolutely create a feedback loop that keeps gamers hooked. Plus many people form friendships with others, those aspects work well. But why does the gameplay have to be so bland and strict. I almost feel like the majority of MMO players would be against more complex deep gameplay cause it would force them to pay more attention rather than quickly grind to the next prize.

Valnen

4. The tank, healer, dps system I think needs to be thrown out. It forces the different roles to play only one way. As a tank I have to do exactly as all tanks do or the team dies. There is no room for improvisation, every time I enter a new dungeon someone tells me exactly what I should do. Basically MMOs force you to play with a guide of sorts.

Guild wars 2 shows that when you throw this formula out, you break PvE. It becomes an unfun zerg.

Top Bottom