• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Link is now a righty. Well at least on Wii he is.

ant1532

Banned
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732681p1.html
Link is All Right
New videos show the hero of Hyrule in action. No lefties allowed!
by Mark Bozon

September 14, 2006 - Of course we all saw it coming when Nintendo announced its intention for Wii-mote sword fighting in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but it's now absolutely official: Link is a righty.

In a video shown just minutes ago in Japan, the Hyrulian hero himself was previewed battling bosses, navigating the countryside, and exploring vast dungeons in his new "anti-southpaw" stance. Though there is no official breakdown of how sword control works as of yet, Link can be seen performing multiple sword swipes and varying angles, showing off what seems to be a new fully-immersive fighting style for Wii players.

We'll have more on Link's right-handedness when we go hands-on with the game tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.

Oh and Link: Welcome to the right side.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
boooo!

Though as someone pointed out in the sticky thread, the whole model has been inverted from previously shown left handed footage, so its probably (almost certainly) an option to chose left handed or right handed.

EctoPrime

Ever think that the game is programmed to switch between left and right due to the Wiimote being preconfigured in the setup of the console by the user.

Edit: Beaten, bah.

LakeEarth

Because of this, I am NOT BUYING THIS GAME! Screw you Miyamoto!

The sad thing is in gamefaqs, there are some people would post the same thing but would be SERIOUS.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
LakeEarth said:
Because of this, I am NOT BUYING THIS GAME! Screw you Miyamoto!

The sad thing is in gamefaqs, there are some people would post the same thing but would be SERIOUS.

Well to be fair, as a lefty it would be a shitter to have to use my right hand for stabbing folk.

When they announced that you would use the Wiimote to swing the sword I had wondered this aloud, how they could keep him a lefty with so many right-handed people out there. I guess this is the answer.

Bet Miyamoto 20 years ago never thought he'd have to reconfigure his character just because he wanted the stabbing motion to be on the left side of his Link sprite ;)

TreIII

Eh, I've always considered Link to be a ambi-dextrous type of dude any way. I mean, sure, he's "supposed" to be a left-handed person. But when you considered how he even utilized both of his hands for his various tools (not to MENTION a little thing called "sprite mirroring" in the 2D games), and the whole argument of him being a dedicated lefty probably has little bearing on things.

I mean, technically, Rockman could be considered a lefty originally too, but thanks to both sprite mirroring and the notion that he can technically form both of his arms into busters...nobody really cares any more about that factoid and just accepted ambidexterity.

Ambis FTW!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This is offensive to lefites all over the planet! I will not stand for this, and plan to challenge them to an epic duel of unseen proportions. Oh well, good thing I'm almost ambidextrous.

bard

If I can't control the sword with my left hand, I'll have a hell of a time playing the game... I hope us lefties aren't left out in the cold once again. Maybe it's time for the insurrection?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps, but all the Wii demos I've played so far had the option to choose between left-and righthanded controls, so it may not be necessary. Still, we should cook up a crafty plan, just in case.

agent069

Banned
Stop whining about controls, using a stick with the left or the right hand is the ****ing same, it's a little tricky in the beginning but so was it the first time you used a stick, the pad is completely symetrical, play it as you like and shut the **** up ^^

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I must have missed out on something, but did Nintendo change the sword mechanics? It was originally said that you wouldn't have to swing the controller to swing the sword. Instead, you would press the A or B button to prevent people from getting tired. So which one is it? Do you press a button to swing your sword or do you swing your controller to swing the sword? Will there be an option to choose one or the other when the game is released?

Top Bottom