• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

-KRS-

Install Linux Mint on an old HP Mini netbook. Decent machine for word processing and web-browsing.

What's the best Linux for an older machine?:
Compaq Presario V2000 (I did upgrade it to 1GB RAM)

Thanks
I'd say Arch Linux with XFCE4 as desktop. I installed that on an old Pentium III machine with 512 MB RAM a few years ago and it worked fairly well even on that. If Arch is a bit too advanced to set up I'll say Xubuntu, but it comes with a lot of bloat in comparison.

la_briola

I'd say Arch Linux with XFCE4 as desktop. I installed that on an old Pentium III machine with 512 MB RAM a few years ago and it worked fairly well even on that. If Arch is a bit too advanced to set up I'll say Xubuntu, but it comes with a lot of bloat in comparison.

Not for long.
Due to the decreasing popularity of i686 among the developers and the community, we have decided to phase out the support of this architecture.

The decision means that February ISO will be the last that allows to install 32 bit Arch Linux. The next 9 months are deprecation period, during which i686 will be still receiving upgraded packages. Starting from November 2017, packaging and repository tools will no longer require that from maintainers, effectively making i686 unsupported.

However, as there is still some interest in keeping i686 alive, we would like to encourage the community to make it happen with our guidance. The arch-ports mailing list and #archlinux-ports IRC channel on Freenode will be used for further coordination.

The [multilib] repository will not be affected by this change.

-- archlinux.org

-KRS-

Ah right I remember talks about that in their mailing list, but didn't know they decided on it now. Makes sense I guess. Older computers are probably served better by specialized distros nowadays.

-KRS-

So looking around a bit I found LXLE which is made specifically for running on old hardware. And while doing so I remembered that it was indeed LXDE, and not XFCE, that I ran on that old P3 computer. It's a pretty nice desktop for being so lightweight.

blahness

Was not sure where to ask about this, but was wondering if someone could help or point me to the right place in troubleshooting a samba issue I am having on my rasp-pi. Running Raspbian Jessie, smbd service fails to start. I have gracefully removed samba, forcefully removed samba, and it seems just about everything in between, but it still fails every time on starting that service.

Code:
pi@Poppler:/ $ sudo systemctl start smbd.service
^[[AJob for smbd.service failed. See 'systemctl status smbd.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
pi@Poppler:/ $ sudo journalctl -xn
-- Logs begin at Fri 2017-02-17 13:53:23 UTC, end at Fri 2017-02-17 16:21:54 UTC. --
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler systemd[1]: Starting LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd)...
-- Subject: Unit smbd.service has begun with start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit smbd.service has begun starting up.
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler smbd[8311]: Segmentation fault
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler smbd[8311]: Starting SMB/CIFS daemon: smbdSegmentation fault
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler smbd[8311]: failed!
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler systemd[1]: smbd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd).
-- Subject: Unit smbd.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit smbd.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler systemd[1]: Unit smbd.service entered failed state.
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler sudo[8305]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Feb 17 16:21:54 Poppler sudo[8328]: pi : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/journalctl -xn
Feb 17 16:21:54 Poppler sudo[8328]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by pi(uid=0)
pi@Poppler:/ $ sudo systemctl status smbd.service
● smbd.service - LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd)
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/smbd)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2017-02-17 16:21:52 UTC; 29s ago
  Process: 8311 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/smbd start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler smbd[8311]: Segmentation fault
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler smbd[8311]: Starting SMB/CIFS daemon: smbdSegmentation fault
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler smbd[8311]: failed!
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler systemd[1]: smbd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd).
Feb 17 16:21:52 Poppler systemd[1]: Unit smbd.service entered failed state.

LaneDS

A little searching online, which may be completely irrelevant to your situation, suggests uninstalling and reinstalling the smbclient (not the smbd service), so I'd try that assuming it's an option.

Oynox

Since I am quite uncontent with Windows 10 in the last couple of weeks, I am considering to switch to Linux. I did some reading here and there but I do not understand the whole mystery behind the system, like the heavy use of commands and other secrets. However I also figured that there are so many Distros nowadays that you do not need to fear all the new stuff you approach when using a new OS.

So far I tried elementaryOS and KDEneon using Live Systems. Currently I am digging through the top 10 of distrowatch.com, especially looking forward to try ZorrinOS.

One big thing I absolutely do not understand is the whole "KDE" thing. I got that there are many different kind of "desktop enviroments" of which one is for example GNOME and another is KDE Plasma. I downloaded some Distros which also offer KDE desktops like kubuntu, Manjaro and Mageia. I am really curious to test those to see the differences they have although sharing the same desktop.

Now my real question: What is special about KDE neon then? Of course it is the Plasma desktop as well and a collection of different software. But I really do not understand how all those distributions using Plasma differ so much from each other.

Oynox

Sorry for double posting but maybe my question was not clear.

What is the difference between all the distros using KDE plasma?

Whether I use KDE neon, kubuntu; Mageia, Manjaro or Mint with KDE seems completely trivial to me. What is the difference between those, what are advantages and disadvantages?

Sorry for double posting but maybe my question was not clear.

What is the difference between all the distros using KDE plasma?

Whether I use KDE neon, kubuntu; Mageia, Manjaro or Mint with KDE seems completely trivial to me. What is the difference between those, what are advantages and disadvantages?
Each Linux distribution comes with its own list of pros and cons. I suggest you take a look at Wikipedia if you want to read up on details. Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE and it's on the same release schedule as Ubuntu. Mint lags behind, but tries to be extra user friendly and it ships with a bunch of useful applications pre-installed. Manjaro is based on Arch Linux and uses a different package manager.

If you're new to Linux then I suggest that you go with Ubuntu and then try out different desktop environments until you find something that suits your taste. Learning how the operating system works under the hood is something you can pick up over time.

Top Bottom