• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux updates tease new Valve Device 'Galileo' and 'Sephiroth' - Steam Deck refresh? Or new VR?

Draugoth

Gold Member
Here's something that could be exciting but also could be a whole lot of nothing. So keep expectations firmly in check, but work submitted for Linux kernel 6.6 show something interesting from Valve. Potentially a Steam Deck refresh or their new VR headset perhaps?

The note comes from Phoronix, who as usual goes over basically every little thing Linux kernel related. They found work being pulled in for Linux kernel 6.6 sound updates, that includes additions for AMD Van Gogh, the chip used in the Steam Deck. However, when you look into the full updates and scroll down for a while there's this interesting little bit:

So here we have Galileo and Sephiroth being added for Valve - the question is what are they? They're being added under "Valve Jupiter device", with Jupiter being one of the names Valve seems to use for SteamOS. Considering the current SoC in the Steam Deck is named Aerith, a refresh of Sephiroth would continue their fun Final Fantasy inspired naming.

They could point to a lot of things: a Steam Deck refresh, the new VR headset we know they're working on, some developer boards they use in-house or anything really. We really have no idea but it's always fun to wonder about what it could turn out to be.

Note:
The Seam Deck chip is called 'Aerith'.

Holammer

3-1504287752993_480w.jpg

Pictured: Steam Deck 2 killing Steam Deck.

Klosshufvud

IMO SD revision is way overdue. So many areas they could improve on the original with relative ease. First and foremost bump up that battery size to 60Wh, second to remove bezels and add an extra inch of screen. Thirdly to revise the fans and fourth to upgrade to Zen 4/ RDNA3 4nm chipset. These changes would transform the device.

Crayon

If I have to guess... I don't have to, but it's fun... I'd think a deck revision will come before deckard.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
IMO SD revision is way overdue. So many areas they could improve on the original with relative ease. First and foremost bump up that battery size to 60Wh, second to remove bezels and add an extra inch of screen. Thirdly to revise the fans and fourth to upgrade to Zen 4/ RDNA3 4nm chipset. These changes would transform the device.
I’d trade all that for a screen as good as Switch OLED

Top Bottom