• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LIONESS by Zak Ayles (Kickstarter)

Hofmann

EDIT: And the new song is dope as well, but Costopenko is truly something else, can't stop playing it.

I wonder where's the sample from.

Looks great. Remind of something Gouchi Suda would direct and the art style looks great. Will definitely keep an eye on it for when it comes out. Will the other 8 extra games be available for download somewhere like Steam or GOG?

From Kickstarter:
We're always looking for new opportunities, so it's hard to say just yet. We'll definitely look into services like Steam, and we will probably be distributing it ourselves as well.

We have no intention of venturing control over the distribution of this game out of our possession.

Those extra seem to be even more niche, but you never know.

Hofmann

Dunno, new tactic: Lure people in by not knowing what to expect. This thread was doomed to not even reach page 2 anyway.

;P

I said it before, whatever you think of it - Dear Esther started this new gaming revolution, followed by Journey and others.

No stretch goals woohoo!

I guess Monaco's creator really did create a stink around stretch goals being "bullshit" at least for when it changes the scope of the game.

don't judge me but I got kinda excited about some stretch goals for games I backed. it just was kinda fun seeing if a certain thing would make it or not I guess, also keeps the KS alive over some time, but I understand the criticism

don't judge me but I got kinda excited about some stretch goals for games I backed. it just was kinda fun seeing if a certain thing would make it or not I guess, also keeps the KS alive over some time, but I understand the criticism

Yeah, definitely see that side of it to get more backers to pledge and continue the hype. It's right now growing pains for Kickstarter, as now developers are starting to realise even just adding physical boxed versions makes it more complicated than they would have hoped.

Shipping complications over many countries, managing thousands of boxes for a small team, and having to resort to a publisher to sell physical versions of a game like recently with Wasteland 2 and Deep Silver. Getting the materials to make the boxes and other physical stuff like t-shirts or collectibles. These are just some of the things I've heard.

hm yeah makes sense, I always wondered how they'd manage that. I'm glad the inxile guys found this solution as long as deep silver really only assures the physical distribution. a dev/publisher relation I'm okay with

Hofmann

Just bumping the thread with a short interview I found recently, which may shed some light on what the game actually is: http://plus10damage.com/blog/2013/7/17/zakayleslionessreailty.

It's an adventure game at heart, but with a lot of the same design principles that you might find in something more like a simulation. A lot of people are comparing it to Kentucky Route Zero — which isn’t completely off point — but I think people going into this game expecting something similar will be pleasantly surprised. It is similar in that it takes the structure of a traditional adventure game and strips it down to the point where it only exists to serve the story, but the story itself hinges a lot more on the subtleties of the player’s interactions with the world.

Wow, I missed that topic. Concept(s) looks original, may be exactly what I need these days; I might make a pledge before the end of the week. Thanks !

Hofmann

Indie Statik's PAX impressions of Catering to Birds:
http://indiestatik.com/2013/09/11/preview-the-obsession-and-madness-of-catering-to-birds/. These smaller games seem to be as intriguing as LIONESS itself.

iPUhEja056ZfL.gif

So hey, it's been 2 years and nothing happened. This might be the first KS I backed that didn't deliver.

"What does it feel like to not exist?"

How apt.

Yup, same here. Anybody knows what's up ?

the last kickstarter update seems to be a year and a half ago
he stopped tweeting anything back in august, though he wasn't even tweeting about the game in the first place
same with his youtube

i think it's dead? radio silence is never confidence instilling

I'd forgotten about this.

I've done a couple of bad kickstarter pledges, primarily the game just turning out bad, for one reason or another. Takedown, Kinetic Void.
Pixel Sand is the only other one that's had iffy communication and gone beyond being delayed. Almost been four years since I pledged. But there's info about it if you look some. An active Twitter account, with a recent gif showing the concept's expanded and there's now a 4 person team rather than just a guy, who has at least put out unfinished builds, progress videos, and a kickstarter update about getting Greenlighted this year. The game exists, has been worked on, and might still be finished eventually. There's at least a chance.

Lioness? No reason to believe it'll ever materialize. Beyond the kickstarter trailer, I don't know that there's been further demonstrations of the game. And the kickstarter updates are more ARG than they are updates about the project. So no idea where it's at or where it's going. And all the guy has to say is "wip". Doesn't seem to particularly care. So yeah that's $14 that's most likely vanished.

Top Bottom