• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List your favorite game's hidden details.

pixelbox

Thought it would be cool to have a thread that praises the little things about you favorite game. It's no secret my favorite game is HZD atm so i'll start with that:

God rays coming through the fog is killer...
cJb7Yxg.jpg

There are so many articulating parts for the machines:
f1g9HPk.jpg

What's yours?

PantsuJo

A bit spoiler? Who knows but in the New Order I liked
reading of all the pieces of newspapers gathered in the years from the resistance, in their hideout. They are "realistic", I found one in Italian too (that's my country)

LordRaptor

Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri uses "real world" weather modelling to simulate rainfall, so that if you create a mountain areas "downwind" of it will dry up as moisture in the air is trapped by the mountain, and areas "upwind" will be wetter as it will rain more there.

Given that you can terraform mountains, building or flattening mountains near another races territory (and therefore affecting the ecosystem within their territory) is therefore considered an act of war.

pixelbox

Let me just go out on a limb and say that the comparison listed does not accurately display HZD in a good light. The poster insist on highlighting game play features as a means to undermine the achievements in HZD. I will make a "details" video soon.

L Corleone

Neo Member
Well if this is about our favourite game then it's vice city:

Conrete Shoes guy:
ILBOl.png

Scarface chainsaw scene easter egg:
HNqzT.jpg

The easter egg easter egg:
GTAee.jpg

I loved how if you was on foot and a criminal walked past your car they would occasionally steal it.

pixelbox

Well if this is about our favourite game then it's vice city:

Conrete Shoes guy:
ILBOl.png

Scarface chainsaw scene easter egg:
HNqzT.jpg

The easter egg easter egg:
GTAee.jpg

I loved how if you was on foot and a criminal walked past your car they would occasionally steal it.
This is your favorite game? I like gta 3 better though the soundtrack was mental in vice.

SirNinja

In the very long stretch of time between the time Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian came out, a few people were making all sorts of crazy theories about the various block designs in SotC.

Mostly, these four:

Some people tried to correlate them to different parts of the game's world, and some are a fairly good fit. Others are a bit of a stretch:

They also took a look at the pattern of blocks on the main temple's spiral staircase, and noticed there was a pattern, although it was broken in one spot, and there was a single damaged block in another. The angle of these two anomalies to each other is the same angle at which two platforms are on a similarly-shaped broken spiral in another part of the world.

Coincidence??
(Yes, probably, but it's still kinda neat)

ehead

I know this is not mindblowing but I just saw it yesterday. The water ripples in Mario Odyssey. If you make a twirl, or do the spin cap attack, the water ripples appropriately. Game's got some good water graphics.

pixelbox

I know this is not mindblowing but I just saw it yesterday. The water ripples in Mario Odyssey. If you make a twirl, or do the spin cap attack, the water ripples appropriately. Game's got some good water graphics.

Are you able to post pics?

Your car can run out of fuel in the original Mafia for PC. You can refuel in the gas station in Little Italy. Also, if your car gets shot at, you'll begin to leak fuel and it'll run out faster. You can actually hear the fuel leaking out.

Not sure if that's all that interesting but I don't recall you being able to do that in any other open world game, not even Mafia 2. You can refuel but I don't believe the car actually runs out of gas.

ehead

Not sure if that's all that interesting but I don't recall you being able to do that in any other open world game, not even Mafia 2. You can refuel but I don't believe the car actually runs out of gas.

Mad Max requires refueling every now and then, also very important to keep a spare gas tank.

lungiDude

Neo Member
Your car can run out of fuel in the original Mafia for PC. You can refuel in the gas station in Little Italy. Also, if your car gets shot at, you'll begin to leak fuel and it'll run out faster. You can actually hear the fuel leaking out.

I used to love that! What made it even more special was the fact that they included it in a game that came out in 2002!

Not a hidden detail - but in the Gothic games (at least the first couple ones - haven't played the third), the player can loot every house in the town. Pretty common in RPGs, I know. But that is not the detail I'm talking about - the detail is in how the 'looting' made me feel. It made me feel guilty.

You see - the world of Gothic feels miserable. The NPCs look like slum dwellers from a third-world country with their crummy look, ragged clothes and makeshift shanties. They'd wake up in the morning, sweep their yards, make stew, would silently interact with other NPCs, take walks, silently seat on the street (seemingly) pondering on the meaning of their miserable lives before finally going to bed. Every NPC - from nameless junkies to the local fishmonger - seemed to have their own routines.

Combination of the two elements - the misery and the believable NPCs - actually made me sympathize with these poor folks. I can't think of any other games that made me feel that way since.

DiscoJer

It's not exactly hidden, but in the original UFO:Enemy Unknown (aka X-Com) in some of the UFOs you downed there would be a cow in a surgical room, a nod to UFO folklore. There were a lot of other stuff taken from it.

LoremIpsum

Neo Member
Thought it would be cool to have a thread that praises the little things about you favorite game. It's no secret my favorite game is HZD atm so i'll start with that:

God rays coming through the fog is killer...
cJb7Yxg.jpg

There are so many articulating parts for the machines:
f1g9HPk.jpg

What's yours?

Holy shit OP, that looks absolutely amazing.

I always wanted to play that game, but I'm coloblind and that map scares the shit out of me...

sephiroth7x

In the original Broken Sword in Ireland, you can drink as many points as you want prior to the accident outside... which means you can get George pretty wasted...

This then effects comments further into the game about how much of a state he got himself into amongst others from other characters. Its not so much that you can do it, and its not particularly clever... it just put that extra little spin on the time in Ireland.

ehead

How did I forget Alan Wake's Night Springs?

vep7O3E.jpg

I don't know who the actors are, I feel like they're part of the dev team just having fun, but the short stories are amazing.

How did I forget Alan Wake's Night Springs?

vep7O3E.jpg

I don't know who the actors are, I feel like they're part of the dev team just having fun, but the short stories are amazing.
I walked into the thread to bring this up. Those little stories were great. 😁

In Overwatch, when you stand close to a wall and shoot Roadhogs shotty at it, you can see the junk his weapon fired, as it falls to the ground (nuts, bolts, coils etc).
Its not as impressive as the OP's example, but when I first noticed this, I thought it was kinda cool.

Shmuppers

I'm not sure if it counts as "hidden" since it often results in overt changes to the game, but the Insight system in Bloodborne changes many things about the world as the value goes higher, as you see the world for what it really is.

Rellik

Yeah, it was yet another feature that didn't make it into Mafia II. You would get the blinking petrol light and your max speed would drop to like 40mph, but as far as I know you couldn't get it to run out.

tsab

Super Mario Odyssey endgame spoilers

Going to Peach's Castle and looking at the ceiling it grands you a star
This is a nod to Super Mario 64

Not so "hidden" because it's required for the 100% completion

I don't understand, is this supposed to be an analogue to your cell phone reception cutting out in a tunnel?

Yes, GPS doesn't work well underground

Top Bottom