• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Listen Shawn Layden: Bring back Crash Bandicoot!

JordanN

Banned
Do we really want Crash back? I'm not sure I want a tired, zombie-Crash franchise like what Ratchet and Clank turned into.

I want Crash because next gen lacks some good cartoony games. I'm honestly bored of Nintendo being the only first party publisher who puts out platformers.

Or maybe use the money for something new? Because let's be honest, there are probably not that many people who want a new Crash game.

This.

Only hardcore gamers, aka GAF, want a new Crash game. As much as i want it to happen, it wont sell and i'm pretty sure both Sony and Activision know that, it's simply too risky. Your best bet would be a remake done by a studio like Sanzaru to see if the demand is there or not.

Platformers are very rare these years. Nintendo are pretty much the only ones making them now.

braves01

Banned
If you want to bring back Crash gameplay, sure.

But leave that jean shorts 90s character mascot abomination back in the past. Spend some time and money making a new, aesthetically pleasing style for the game. Just something, anything, better than this:

crash_bandicoot_crash_bandicoot-s250x304-24499-580.jpg

This.

Only hardcore gamers, aka GAF, want a new Crash game. As much as i want it to happen, it wont sell and i'm pretty sure both Sony and Activision know that, it's simply too risky. Your best bet would be a remake done by a studio like Sanzaru to see if the demand is there or not.

Platformers are very rare these years. Nintendo are pretty much the only ones making them now.
First, they have to acquire the IP.
Second, we're talking about "fan service" here.
Crash belongs to PlayStation and not to Activision :/
And regarding a new game: A new Crash game with a nice little budget could make some $$$ + most importantly.... please the fanbase.
We already have 9839458938945 shooters with 5 billion weapons.
Or racing games which are flopping left and right (even with great reviews/scores like FH2).

Honestly, i loved crash as a young kid but if i want to play it i'll just play the PS1 version i bought off of PSN. I really don't need a new remake. Just me though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't understand the nostalgia for this series. It was fine, I guess, but I don't think we need more. I'd much rather Sony bring back PaRappa or Jumping Flash or Ape Escape or Intelligent Qube or Wipeout or almost anything else in their back catalog.

Crash belongs to PlayStation and not to Activision :/
Well this is literally untrue!

Even if I can't get a new Crash game, it is pretty disappointing that the PS1 classics of the originals are still not playable on the Vita, and I feel like its just because of stupid licensing issues. Kind of sad how Crash gets this demise despite being the original mascot for the PS1.

Hmm, nah. Much rather Nintendo buy the IP and then stick someone like Retro or even Good Feel on it and see what happens. :p Nah, but seriously, why would I want this when we could try to push Activision to develop and release a Crash game for all platforms, including PC instead? Wishing for an IP to get bought by one of the Big 3 just so an exclusive game can be made is lame, even when that IP used to be exclusive to one of their platforms--their's no need to perpetuate that cycle and have it repeat anew.
How about getting a good Crash game for all platforms instead? Everybody deserves to play a follow up to Warped!
This. The focus on, if a new Crash game were made, trying to ensure it remains exclusive again is rather odd when you stop and think about what you're really asking for there.

Hmm, nah. Much rather Nintendo buy the IP and then stick someone like Retro or even Good Feel on it and see what happens. :p Nah, but seriously, why would I want this when we could try to push Activision to develop and release a Crash game for all platforms, including PC instead? Wishing for an IP to get bought by one of the Big 3 just so an exclusive game can be made is lame, even when that IP used to be exclusive to one of their platforms--their's no need to perpetuate that cycle and have it repeat anew.

This. The focus on, if a new Crash game were made, trying to ensure it remains exclusive again is rather odd when you stop and think about what you're really asking for there.
I'm sure Nintendo fans would be happy if Mario goes multiplat. Well, I'm sure I wouldn't be happy.
Seriously, PlayStation fans love Crash. I love Crash.
He's a PS/PS1 mascot.
This thread isn't really about a new Crash game. It's about SCE getting the IP.

Bringing back Vib-Ribbon won't do much $$$ for Sony either.
But it pleases the lifelong fans.
It's a fan service and it needs to happen.

Not quite the same thing from a financial investment stand point. Dumping an old psone rom onto PSN is not nearly the same thing as buying an ip from another publisher (assuming they even want to sell it) and funding development if a brand new game.

Remember the Skylanders franchise is originally based on Spyro the Dragon. I wonder of Activision is holding Crash in their back pocket in case they ever want to include him and expand the universe.

Man, I'd be all over this. Maybe get the guys that did the Sly games to make it, I dunno. It really should have stayed a Sony mascot for sure.

PS4 still has glaring holes in its library, and I'd get the console in a heartbeat if a proper, new Crash game was made.

Not quite the same thing from a financial investment stand point. Dumping an old psone rom onto PSN is not nearly the same thing as buying an ip from another publisher (assuming they even want to sell it) and funding development if a brand new game.
Again: A new game isn't even the issue here.
The IP going back to SCE is the story.
Seeing the IP in Activision's hands makes a lot of PS oldtimers angry.
And I agree with them.

So I just hope the IP isn't really expensive...seeing that Activision isn't using it.
Man, I'd be all over this. Maybe get the guys that did the Sly games to make it, I dunno. It really should have stayed a Sony mascot for sure.

PS4 still has glaring holes in its library, and I'd get the console in a heartbeat if a proper, new Crash game was made.
So true! And I've met a loooot of people like you.
Crash -> SCE/PlayStation! >:-(

Bumhead

Banned
Some of this dismissiveness about Crash's relevance is incredibly short sighted.

I appreciate it's only anecdotal, but as a gamer in a friends group of largely non-gamers since the PS1 era, Crash is probably the game I get asked about the most. Especially when a new PlayStation system launches, and especially since Oddworld got re-released.

As pointed out earlier in the thread, the Crash games are still very strong sellers on PSN, especially in the EU.

Some of this dismissiveness about Crash's relevance is incredibly short sighted.

I appreciate it's only anecdotal, but as a gamer in a friends group of largely non-gamers since the PS1 era, Crash is probably the game I get asked about the most. Especially when a new PlayStation system launches, and especially since Oddworld got re-released.

As pointed out earlier in the thread, the Crash games are still very strong sellers on PSN, especially in the EU.
Exactly! And I'm hearing and reading it all the time.
Old IP (or a sequel to it) got announced? Checking the comments -> "Where is Crash".

And yes, SCE! Where is it? :/
Get it!

Shawn Layden seems like the type of man who knows when something like this is really important to people who grew up playing these games. From what I have seen of him, he seems down to earth and a lot like Jack Tretton. I hope he's reading.
Yeah, I hope so, too.
Bring the lost son back home, Shawn!

hidys

I'm okay with this if Naughty Dog aren't forced to do it.

They have more too much talent at this point to be working on a Crash game and I don' think that that is the same studio it was in the 90's.

I'm okay with this if Naughty Dog aren't forced to do it.

They have more too much talent at this point to be working on a Crash game and I don' think that that is the same studio it was in the 90's.
True! And SCE wouldn't force ND to do a new XXX game.
First, it's about SCE getting the IP back.

The people who grew up with crash are now adults with disposable income. Just like there's a bunch of 90s properties being brought back as movies (Power Rangers, Jurassic Park, etc) same should apply to Crash.

that street sign is still dodgy as fuck

maybe now Sony and Activision are best buds, and Activision is seemingly starting to get into the business of giving people what they want (King's Quest, Tony Hawk) then something could happen, but I seriously doubt it

that street sign is still dodgy as fuck

maybe now Sony and Activision are best buds, and Activision is seemingly starting to get into the business of giving people what they want (King's Quest, Tony Hawk) then something could happen, but I seriously doubt it
Yeah, I hope it's possible.
And I hope Shawn Layden is listening.
He has to do the first step.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If you want Sanzaru or Sumo Digital to develop a new Crash, why not just ask Activision for that, they could have it developed by Sanzaru or Sumo Digital, too. Of course, it would then be a multiplatform game, but considering the Wii U versions of Lego games and Skylanders are outperforming the PS4 versions, this could just lead to the game being more successful. Activision wouldn't need to invest into buying some franchise before, they already own Crash, so it would be way easier to convince them of doing a new Crash than Sony to buy the license and make a new Crash? I could understand this if it being developed by Naughty Dog was an option, but anyone who is asking for a Sanzaru- or Sumo-developed Crash, I have to ask: What do you need Sony for then? That being said: If a proper new Crash Bandicoot was developed for PS4, I'd buy a PS4 (provided it was not also coming for PSV, considering I already have a PSV).

If you want Sanzaru or Sumo Digital to develop a new Crash, why not just ask Activision for that.
I (and a lot of PS fans) want the Crash IP in Sony's hands.
He is a PS mascot of the original PS1.
We're talking about a fanservice here, for the longlife/hardcore PS fans.
A new Crash game isn't even the topic here.

All you guys and your logic! We just want Crash back home, this guy is MIA. I would love to play a new crash with my kid. We already play mario from Nes all the way to wiiu. Crash would be so much fun.

Top Bottom