• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Samson(Taito, 1992) - The best lost platformer

Hohenheim

Any gaffers remembering this lost gem?

Released by Taito in 1992, at the end of the NES lifecycle, it failed to make a impact as the 16-bit era was taking over.
But the game is brilliant. One of the best looking and most technical advanced 8-bit games, beautiful pixel art and great gameplay.
I used to have this as a kid, but sold it a few years ago in a weak moment.
It's very valuable, as they printed very few, and it's never been released on any other platforms. A remaster of this would be amazing!
Kinda regret selling it now.

Hohenheim

i liked this one better.

Had totally forgotten about that one.
Used to rent it at the local videostore as a kid. Based on a movie, right? Suprised to see it was Capcom making that one.
Little Samson was released a couple of years later,and had no relation to this as for as I know.
Will play both via EmuDeck asap!

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It sure looks good. Really good. Will have to try it out later today, never got the chance back in the day.

IAmRei

As a kid, never see it. I first saw it in internet about a decade ago. Its quite obscure to me.

Reactions: Isa

Krathoon

Yeah. This is one of those cases where you have to pirate it to play it.

I wonder if there is a repro cart.

I will check on Etsy.

Reactions: Isa

Holammer

I tried the game and thought it was ok. Another great game is Gimmick, which only released in Japan and Scandinavia in 1993. As you can tell it's pretty amazing graphically and with great music. It was passed on elsewhere like America because it was a late release in the early 16-bit era and having a cutesy main character was soooo 1988, I think everything had to look like Todd McFarlane was involved at the time.

I worked in a videogame store and we sold every copy we could get our hands on and later when we started buying and selling used games it was a highly coveted title. Same with Ufouria: The Saga (Hebereke in Japan, it was the first in a series of games), another great 1991 game that never saw a US release.
It's a pretty neat little early proto-Metroidvania where you rescue your chums, reach new areas with their abilities and upgrades. There's even a map screen.

Gimmick had a fancy new remake release in 2020, but it's sadly for exA-Arcadia hardware and the game costs $1200.

RAIDEN1

Any gaffers remembering this lost gem?

Released by Taito in 1992, at the end of the NES lifecycle, it failed to make a impact as the 16-bit era was taking over.
But the game is brilliant. One of the best looking and most technical advanced 8-bit games, beautiful pixel art and great gameplay.
I used to have this as a kid, but sold it a few years ago in a weak moment.
It's very valuable, as they printed very few, and it's never been released on any other platforms. A remaster of this would be amazing!
Kinda regret selling it now.

This is what I don't understand, if you are Taito why on earth invest time, resources, money on a project for a defunct platform, where you KNOW sales will be very limited and instead focusing on bringing the game to the bigger platform....I just don't understand, similar issue with bringing Virtua Fighter to the Genesis in 1996....why?!? What is the point when you know you can't exactly bring the sequel on there either...

Last edited:
Top Bottom