• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet (VITA) trailer

Quacking

This game looks amazing and and I find this:

Takao said:
It's a great shot, haha:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/201106061939.jpg[./img][/QUOTE]

The coolest pic I've seen for a while. xD

Takao

Banned
Yep, it looks like it's Media Molecule. Pete Smith says at 2:43 in this video that's he is working on LittleBigPlanet. While he's credited as an executive producer at Xdev (the studio making Smart As for Vita), he is a producer at Media Molecule.

Callibretto said:
I think level won't be cross platforms, just costumes and stickers. it'd be weird for Vita to be able to play PS3 levels, while PS3 can't because they don't have front and back touchscreen.
In theory a Move controller should let you do everything that touchscreens can let you do, right?

PS3 LBP Level building on a portable device would rock so hard, though.

Lance Bone Path said:
In theory a Move controller should let you do everything that touchscreens can let you do, right?

And maybe they could patch in Sixaxis tilting somehow.

Zen

Banned
Well presumably the move based levels could be compatible between the two versions. I personally already find LBP2 to be pretty fragmented anyway with all the power of the user tools meaning that you're assaulted by tons of things that distinctly aren't 2D platformers, or even games at all, when you start looking for things to play. I missed some of the conference, is this Vita game also going to allow you to play the user made levels on the LBP1/2 server?

Honestly I'm more excited by to own this, than I am already owning LBP2 on the PS3

Chuck Norris said:
Shame such a creative developer is now pushing out yearly rehashes

This is the first time they've ever rehashed anything, and frankly the new interaction mechanics make it seem even more awesome than LBP2. I wouldn't be surprised if their next main game is something new; LBPVita, blissfully, probably didn't require much sweat work to get running.

onken said:
Looks great but disappointed they they're not implementing support for PS3 levels ;/

Oh, well that's a sham, but it's still an incredibly strong package.

Lance Bone Path said:

LBP Vita has multi touchscreen capability though, and use the rear pad to move object forward too.

Withnail

Not sure I want to buy LBP for a fourth time, but the control inputs on Vita could make this the definitive version.

It should be a fun alternative source for iOS/Android style minigames.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm amazed by how good this looks.

Also, it does have the potential to be the best version of the game - at least in one sense - with all the extra control toys. Think it's a perfect fit for vita, and possibly also 3g vita...being able to pull down lbp levels anywhere would be pretty cool.

If you can play ps3 levels I think they would have announced it. THATS a big deal.

BUT the levels listed when they play the "join the LBP community" part of the trailer are ps3 levels..... probably just place holder.

They made it clear you can use ps3 costumes which is something...

Really like the look of this. Biggest problem with LBP on ps3 is using the dualshock to make curves and stuff. touchscreen fixes that.

Binabik15

The part where the sackyboys/girls are slingshotted after the player dragged the platform down with his finger is the first time I ever thought "You know, that IS better with motion controls". True story.

Now the wait continues.

Himself

This and MNR looked like the best way to show off the Vita's functionality and control options. Looked like awesome fun.

But, like others have said, as much as I too am in love with LBP (which is a lot), I don't really want to see a new one coming out every year. I'm still working on LBP2. Don't kill it.

jett

D-Member
This was the best presentation at Sony's conference: nice, tightly edited video.

onQ123 said:
That was pretty much a 1st look at Nintendo's new console.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

Oyashiro

Goddamn this looks good. I didn't care for LBP PSP at all, but the first one on PS3 was fun. Can't wait. Viva la Vita.

onQ123

jett said:
This was the best presentation at Sony's conference: nice, tightly edited video.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

it means this is pretty much a 1st look at Nintendo's new console!

this is the type of stuff you will see used in some of the new Nintendo games,

Barrett2

The gesture implementation looks freaking awesome in this, perfect use of the Vita controls. However, after only playing 2 hours of LBP2, I think im' done with the series, just not for me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Brandon F said:
Will they fix the jumping?

No. But users can do that in LBP2 for their levels, so I expect that to carry over. Otherwise: Dealwithit.gif

OneMoreQuestion said:
Is it strange that I'm looking forward to this the most out of the rest of the VITA titles?

No. Because it makes perfect use of the PSP2's interconnectivity of the PS3.

-PS3 items/DLC being able to be used in the PSP2 version (not able to be used in the PSP1)
-PS3 levels can be played on the PSP2 version (can't be done on the PSP1), and vice versa (apparently?)
-Using new features (touchscreen, for one) of the PSP2.

I think it's going to be a killer app for the LBP PS3 community for getting on board with the PSP2.

Elixist

KILLER APP. Im hella stoked for this, I just hope MM drops the story from campaign and just goes crazy with their levels.

Edit: some rich gaffer buy Lockstitch a Vita and a copy pls ty

This felt like the definitive version of LBP. I loved all the mini games using the new inputs. Imagine what the community will come up with.

As long as the new developers retain the whimsical feel LBP and the core gameplay it'll be fine. They'll probably get feedback from MM.

It looks like LBP was made for portables after seeing that trailer.

Why on earth is there a system seller on every console! Now I have to buy the PS Vita too :/
Tbh I'm so happy. It looks so awesome :eek:

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nice impressions here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/littlebigplanet-ps-vita-preview-touched-by-a-sackboy/

As you may have seen in the conference itself, the sky's the limit on what this engine can do -- I saw a fully-implemented two-player touchscreen table tennis game, as well as a floating bubble level where an antigravity Sackboy was floated around with just a touch and a swipe across the screen. You can only imagine what players will do in terms of creativity and originality when they get their hands (literally) on this thing.

In one level, Sackboy had to jump up and grab on to a wheel that took up most of the screen, and then, while still holding onto the wheel with the circle button, I had to spin him around to the other side with a touchscreen swipe, allowing him to jump off to the next platform and move on. Another swinging platform, later on, was moved via the Vita's gyroscope controls, so the player had to tilt it to the right to get it within Sackboy's reach, and then tilt the device back to the left to carry Sackboy across the gap.

The front and back touchscreens were used brilliantly as well. One part of the level presented a fully-functional piano keyboard, on which the player had to play a certain tune to open up a door for Sackboy to exit through. And one of the most interesting puzzles used both the back and front touchscreens. Sackboy encounters a square full of Tetris-shaped platforms that could either be pushed forward or touched back into the screen, and the player has to help him climb up, platform by platform, by pushing out the appropriate platforms on either touchpanel.

It could be really interesting if they include tools that basically expose near functionality. Could make your own location-based levels/games.

Top Bottom