• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Songkick

Couldn't find a similar thread, so made this one. I've been to / am going to a lot of live shows this year, thought it'd be good to brag about it interesting to know who else has cool stuff lined up.

Saw the Dave Matthews Band for the first time while on a short holiday in Copenhagen, easily and instantly one of the top five shows I've been to in my life. Fantastic energy, Dave & the gang just jammed for 2.5 hours straight. Denmark seemed a good place to see them to play since everyone there is so nice and polite.

Tl5e1kA.jpg

Last month I went to a GZA solo show which was so bad I left early and subsequently split my head open on the way home. Thankfully, this last weekend I saw the whole Wu Tang Clan (actually, no Method Man) together and they were way better as a unit. De La Soul opened, great except they didn't play much from 3 Feet High which is odd considering they're celebrating 30 years of it. Public Enemy were also on the bill, pretty good aside from there was no Flavor Fave, so they rebranded the show as "Public Enemy Radio" at the last minute. What is it with rap artists being such drama queens? Still, great night overall. We were front and center most of the time, retreated early to take this:

yBpUuoa.jpg

Next Monday the legendary KRS-One is playing a shockingly small show at what's basically a big pub, should be great. If you're not sure that's the Sound of Da Police guy, but he did so much more than that.

Next month I'm warming up with Death Grips playing my city for the first time; seen them before and they're insane, if you're weird like me and into noisy experimental industrial electro-hiphop.

Download Festival is the week later, where I'm seeing Tool for the first time; been gushing about them in other threads, they've been one of my favourite bands since I was 13 and I've been waiting literally half my life to see them / for a new album. Super exciting. Also seeing Slipknot, Smashing Pumpkins, Lamb of God and others while there, can't wait.

Later in the year I'm at shows from Madlib, Hootie & The Blowfish and John Mayer. Real eclectic mix, I know. 2019 is apparently the year where I spend every penny of spare income on gig tickets.

So, what about you lot? Anyone going to see the same artists? Anyone seeing anyone cool? Got a good / bad show story?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Well I just saw Purity Ring and it was one of the most insane shows I've ever seen.

If you have the ability to go to any shows on the rest of this tour, I'd HIGHLY recommend buying a ticket right now. Felt like seeing a show from 20 years in the future. The effects set up they had is totally nuts, and I've been to lots of concerts. They fucking killed it man.

deafmedal

TOOL was the last band I saw pre-covid and the first I saw post covid. may catch something small soon-ish, maybe not. have tickets for both nights at Red Rocks for NIN on Labor Day weekend, really looking forward to that.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I saw Failure a few days ago also. They crushed it. Still got it.
Have to go with my girlfriend and her dad to a show this week. Styx, REO Speedwagon and Loverboy lol.
Got tickets for Sunny Day Real Estate in August. Guess they're back together.

I can't stress enough though, Purity Ring. Literally was like watching a concert from 20 years in the future. Fucking nuts. Buy a ticket and just go.

TOOL was the last band I saw pre-covid and the first I saw post covid. may catch something small soon-ish, maybe not. have tickets for both nights at Red Rocks for NIN on Labor Day weekend, really looking forward to that.
Red Rocks, nicccccceeeeeeeee.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
hmmm... been to about 15 shows this year so far.
i remember going to decibel magazine tour, cattle decapitation, undearoath, beach house, fuzz, tech n9ne, jerry cantrell, testament, interpol, ty segall....

Molchat Doma was pretty good

coming up i have,

Southpark 25th Anniversary concert with Primus and Ween
IDLES
Black Midi
Creeping Death
Osees
Meshuggah
AFI

I'm sure there's more.

Last edited:
Status