• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long queues of people waiting to try Nintendo Switch in Tokyo Big Sight

Where are you getting that from? Is it because national pride is one of the few reasons a person could have to buy the Switch at launch?
Don't you remember the Olympics? Nintendo staged a coup and replaced Abe with Mario.

Edit: He said company not country...my eyes are crap.

Wait...just how many members does GAF have?

Fair point! Hope you got that I was just estimating very roughly, i.e. pulling that out of my behind...

EDIT: Boy was I wrong
Are you sure? We have 178.000 members on GAF.
Wow, this is one insane number. But how many have contributed to, say the past 3 days? Anyway, thanks for the info.

Off topic, but I'd be very interested in a general meta thread "Just how representative is this forum of the actual market".
My first instinct would be to point out huge discrepancies like having multiple extensive threads for the Zero Escape series, yet I've never seen even an OT for FIFA/Madden. Which is just ridiculous, seeing that on each launch day those games sell a multiple of the total franchise history sales of the former. Sadly, I might add :(

Franz Brötchen;228327740 said:
There is still more people in this line than GAF members. So if we were really trying to predict the future from shitty hot takes, judging by that line is somewhat more representative :p

Are you sure? We have 178.000 members on GAF.

I've been there for Anime Japan and Comiket. People don't seem to realize that these photos mean absolutely nothing.

Yeah, that is the same venue of the Comiket. I was there at the last comiket in December. This is a photo of the queue before the opening. See that big building on the right? The Tokyo Big Sight is behind that, on the right end, so there are even more people

BDSenN.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Now imagine if they'd actualy launch it with splatoon...

Would be quite bad if it resulted in another drought through the summer. Launching with Zelda and having Splatoon ready for the summer break/schools out period is perfect.

dracula_x

KageZero

Is there any footage of Xenoverse for switch? Was mentioned in op to be playable but i saw no impression of it. Anyone has any more info?

Sakujou

Banned
remember the launch of the gamecube in japan?
13th september of 2001.
3games at launch
not many people really interested.

one of the saddest launches until the wii u happened.

love seeing people waiting in lines for a new consoles/games, except for apple. you know what you get, its not a new experience or something.

SeppOCE

Speaking of Japan, anyone knows if the reactions were positive from gamers in Japan? Very curious to know what they think of the Switch!

I use the Hello talk app to help learn Japanese so I've seen some reactions from Japanese gamers and it seems as mixed as it is here. The two big games a lot of them are keen on are Zelda and Splatoon but then they're critisicing battery life and the fact that it's a hybrid which I thought was odd.

Keep in mind this is a very small amount compared to these gigantic forums that we visit and regulalrly post on. A language tool app isn't filled with 100 percent gamers.

I was in Japan on holidays when the 3DS launched. Lots of ads, lots of hype. I was tempted to buy one right then and there! I can only imagine how it must have been in the 90s when machines launched a year or more early in Japan. So hype.

But yeah, even the Wii U had a decent presence when I last visited (compared to Australia where it never existed). Ad's on subways etc. It really is a unique place.

pitt_norton

I went to this event on both days.

Saturday I arrive 2 hours early at 8am... and the line up outside seemed half filled. I was able to play Zelda by 11.30am. I also got some ARMS action afterwards. Any other play session was impossible.

Sunday I arrive 2.5 hours early at 7.30am... and the lineup outside was tripled in size. I thankfully just made the cull and was allocated a slot to play Splatoon 2 from 3.30pm. Prior to that I got some more time on ARMS!!! Love that game, can't wait to master it.

This system. I want.

I was there today! I got to play 1-2-Switch, Bomberman and ARMS. I was surprised that the 1-2-Switch guys were Americans. I had an awkward time staring the farmer guy in the eye while I milked a virtual cow. Also I had to wear a straw hat and neck towel while I did it.

Top Bottom