• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long queues of people waiting to try Nintendo Switch in Tokyo Big Sight

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Splatoon will explode being on a handheld.

Does the game support multi-player when multiple people with Switches are together?

Not talking about online multiplayer

Betty

Banned
On the one hand I want this thing to be successful because I really do enjoy a healthy Nintendo system.

On the other I do want them to lower the price and reconsider or improve their paid online service.

But these pictures are promising

Splatoon will explode being on a handheld.

Does the game support multi-player when multiple people with Switches are together?

Not talking about online multiplayer

Indications from the original teaser video for the Switch say yes. Obstructions to online play won't even matter in Japan, as they are effectively receiving portable Splatoon. Look at how Mario Maker 3DS performed over there.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Okay to me is PSP level.

PSP was one of the best selling consoles ever. It's in the Top 10.

That's not happening. Switch isn't getting NEAR 60 million. I can see it getting to maybe 35 if they really turn this boat around.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Indications from the original teaser video for the Switch say yes. Obstructions to online play won't even matter in Japan, as they are effectively receiving portable Splatoon. Look at how Mario Maker 3DS performed over there.

On the one hand I want this thing to be successful because I really do enjoy a healthy Nintendo system.

On the other I do want them to lower the price and reconsider or improve their paid online service.

But these pictures are promising

Thanks.

I expect Splatoon 2 to massively outperform the first one taking this into consideration.

HardRojo

I missed the part where Japanese line photos turned the Wii U and Vita into booming successes.

And these are lines to try the console, not to purchase it. I know most of GAF is being negative is towards the Switch, but there's good reason for that. One would've thought that after the Wii U and the period of no games for it, Nintendo was going to enter the room guns blazing with the Switch, what happened was the exact opposite: A lackluster presentation with no substance whatsoever.

Edit: I can see the system performing well in Japan, Splatoon will definitely play a big role and so will those DQ games, the rest of the world is a different story though, PS4 and XBO have grown into much more attractive consoles with sizable libraries, which are only growing month by month. Nintendo needs to get their shit together this year, a price cut and a constant stream of interesting games coming will help a lot. Metroid please...

kubus

Decided to stay in Tokyo for a bit - didn't realise this was on. Can anyone go to this?
It's free and open to the public but you can't play anything anymore. Lines were cut off for the rest of the day about 1 hour after opening..

Snaku

Banned
Making their next console a portable hybrid was literally the best decision Nintendo could have made for the Japanese market. They're gonna eat it up.

syoaran

It's free and open to the public but you can't play anything anymore. Lines were cut off for the rest of the day about 1 hour after opening..

Cheers - looks like its open tomorrow though which feels like it would be more worth it.

Went to C91 on the last day - these queues look very manageable in comparission haha. Know what time it opens?

Japan is going to love this once Splatoon 2, Mario, Arms, etc... are released. I'm also expecting they will love the Hardware since it's pretty powerful for a handheld.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It will do ok in japan but outside of that yeh its going to sell terribly sorry.

I've probably said this enough times today to get banned for spam but, if this thing gets Pokémon, I wouldn't bet against it. Especially if there's a bundle.

Osukaa

Ds4tMZf

What a Cutie lol Ohh ummm yes Hmmmmm where's the 3ds...

kubus

Cheers - looks like its open tomorrow though which feels like it would be more worth it.

Went to C91 on the last day - these queues look very manageable in comparission haha. Know what time it opens?
It opens at 10 AM. I made a thread about the available titles and the floor plan: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333415

If I can find someone to join me I think I'll go tomorrow. There are two other gaffers who are thinking about going, perhaps we can form a group or something.

It's useless if we don't line up before 8 AM though :p

Big One

Banned
I've probably said this enough times today to get banned for spam but, if this thing gets Pokémon, I wouldn't bet against it. Especially if there's a bundle.
Yeah people aren't comprehending this. The Switch is going to have Nintendo's handheld and console titles on one platform. When Gen 8 comes out it'll be on Switch. Iwata already hinted at this years ago in terms of trying to bridge the gap between the two sets of software, and I think Switch was his solution.

hope this leads to sales. Getting all those Vita and 3DS game devs on board would be sweet...especially now its region free
Yup, what I'm most optimistic about right here. Switch has a really nice shot at getting all those mid tier and quality games that would max around 2 million Japanese games into the HD world. At the same time, it won't be the Vita when it comes to the sales for sure, and unlike the ps4 it's actually a portable.

Only question would be Western 3rd party devs, but in terms of Nintendo games, hardware, niche in the market, Japanese mid tier and large publisher games, indies, etc. I'm pretty damn optimistic. Plus, no more developing for multiple consoles, everything is focused on one console.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's crazy to think that I only had to go to my local store to pre order one. Then i'll just have to go pick it up at launch. While some are doing this kind of queue for hours.

Strictly speaking about japan I think switch will outsell s4 and wiiu very soon
Decided to stay in Tokyo for a bit - didn't realise this was on. Can anyone go to this?

You can come tommorow. Be here at 6 o clock if you want to play splatoon 2
It's crazy to think that I only had to go to my local store to pre order one. Then i'll just have to go pick it up at launch. While some are doing this kind of queue for hours.

To try it out today. Different story

kyser73

So how does 2000 people stack up in new device demo queues? Is that a lot?

Were the queues for the WiiU as long?

Speaking of Japan, anyone knows if the reactions were positive from gamers in Japan? Very curious to know what they think of the Switch!
I know I saw a pic that threw shades at the Switch launch lineup and compared it to the Wii U line up.

Yeah, because a line of people curious about the console is guarantee that Nintendo will overcome the Wii U fiasco.

With Splatoon 2 near launch, it probably won't be too hard for the "Wii U fiasco" to be overcome in Japan relatively quickly. Unless Japan has suddenly stopped loving Splatoon all of a sudden.

Mario Maker is also selling like crazy on the 3DS over there. It should be relatively easy for Nintendo to port the Wii U game over to Switch or create some sort of sequel... and Pokemon will probably get an entry on the platform at some point as well. I genuinely don't see a scenario where this doesn't enjoy at least a moderate success in Japan.

With Splatoon 2 near launch, it probably won't be too hard for the "Wii U fiasco" to be overcome in Japan relatively quickly. Unless Japan has suddenly stopped loving Splatoon all of a sudden.

Mario Maker is also selling like crazy on the 3DS over there. It should be relatively easy for Nintendo to port the Wii U game over to Switch or create some sort of sequel... and Pokemon will probably get an entry on the platform at some point as well. I genuinely don't see a scenario where this doesn't enjoy at least a moderate success in Japan.
It will happen. The community for that game is already quite big

Yeah, because a line of people curious about the console is guarantee that Nintendo will overcome the Wii U fiasco.

There is still more people in this line than GAF members. So if we were really trying to predict the future from shitty hot takes, judging by that line is somewhat more representative :p

Franz Brötchen;228327740 said:
There is still more people in this line than GAF members. So if we were really trying to predict the future from shitty hot takes, judging by that line is somewhat more representative :p
Wait...just how many members does GAF have?

Top Bottom