• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking back, the Wii Virtual Console had a rather impressive selection of games.

i-Jest

Why exactly is the selection for the Wii-U virtual console so small? If anything, you'd think it should be even bigger since Wii-U actually needs it.

Why put effort into a console that is a failure and will be replaced in 2 years or less?

Pretty much. I love my Wii U and I've never felt cheated in my experience owning one. Nintendo made it's fair share of bad moves with the console in regions outside Japan. Things you'd think would be no brainers to enhance the overall experience of the Wii U never happened and most likely won't at this point.

Airola

Was their anything good on Commodore 64? Iirc it had a couple shmups i wanted to try

I bought Jumpman, Impossible Mission, Mayhem in Monsterland and Last Ninja III.

Last Ninja III had a bug that crashed the game when the player had cleared the first level. They didn't fix the bug but just took the game off the library and gave the money back to those who had purchased it.

I was glad to see I was still able to play the game after it was removed, but was disappointed to see that the game doesn't work anymore after moving it from the Wii to Wii U. I haven't still deleted it though as I like to see the icon in the Wii mode. Even though I wasn't ever able to go to the second level, I still have good memories of playing the first level and listening to its awesome music.

I really should've bought all the C64 games before they all got removed. Which reminds me that I really should go through the Wii VC and WiiWare lists and buy all interesting titles before they all get removed. There are lots of great stuff in the WiiWare side too, such as the Rebirth series and all the other Wii exclusive reboots/sequels of some classic series.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Is the Wii store still up? I always intended on buying Contra, and Castlevania Rebirth, Blaster Master Overdrive, and a few others, but never did. Should probably do so if the store still exists.

Yup, store is still up, and hopefully still up for a good long while.

foxuzamaki

I bought Jumpman, Impossible Mission, Mayhem in Monsterland and Last Ninja III.

Last Ninja III had a bug that crashed the game when the player had cleared the first level. They didn't fix the bug but just took the game off the library and gave the money back to those who had purchased it.

I was glad to see I was still able to play the game after it was removed, but was disappointed to see that the game doesn't work anymore after moving it from the Wii to Wii U. I haven't still deleted it though as I like to see the icon in the Wii mode. Even though I wasn't ever able to go to the second level, I still have good memories of playing the first level and listening to its awesome music.

I really should've bought all the C64 games before they all got removed. Which reminds me that I really should go through the Wii VC and WiiWare lists and buy all interesting titles before they all get removed. There are lots of great stuff in the WiiWare side too, such as the Rebirth series and all the other Wii exclusive reboots/sequels of some classic series.

That's it, ive decided that a lot of my money next year is purely dedicated to wii VC, wiiware, WiiU VC, and eshop.

JoeM86

It really is a shame that third parties are just not supporting the WIi U VC. If it was like the Wii one, it'd be amazing, especially with the new consoles on it. Like the Wii U itself, it has mostly been down to Nintendo to do it, and they're running out of games on it despite staggered launches. Only 2 NES games, 5 SNES games to go.

Hell, even the ones that support it in Japan need to sort it out. Square Enix for example supports it in Japan but none of their games have made it to the west. I want Secret of Mana.

Why put effort into a console that is a failure and will be replaced in 2 years or less?

To be fair, they have said the NX will absorb the Wii U architecture and hinted their plan is for the VC to be up at launch with what it has now.

I really wish the Wii U VC had TurboGrafx, Arcade and Sega consoles games on it.
The Wii VC is still the most awesome thing to ever happen during the last generation and I get really sad thinking about how the Wii U's VC will never get to that point of awesomeness ever.

Airola

To defend the Wii U VC library a bit, even though it's not nearly as cool as the Wii VC library is, it's still cool that it has got quite a few titles that were never released on Wii. For example, we just got Double Dragon III and Bayou Billy in Europe! I seriously never thought we would see those titles on VC. Man, they even made the shooting section of Bayou Billy compatible with the Wii Remote!

And sure, it's pretty awful to see titles like Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman cost 4,99€, but I think it's still very very VERY cool to have those old Zapper titles be properly released digitally. The original zapper games don't work at all with modern televisions. They require a CRT for the Zapper to work. It's great that this is not an obstacle anymore for those who'd like to have a round or two of these games. Sure, using the Wii Remote isn't quite the same as using real Zapper, but it's better than nothing.

JoeM86

To defend the Wii U VC library a bit, even though it's not nearly as cool as the Wii VC library is, it's still cool that it has got quite a few titles that were never released on Wii. For example, we just got Double Dragon III and Bayou Billy in Europe! I seriously never thought we would see those titles on VC. Man, they even made the shooting section of Bayou Billy compatible with the Wii Remote!

And sure, it's pretty awful to see titles like Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman cost 4,99€, but I think it's still very very VERY cool to have those old Zapper titles be properly released digitally. The original zapper games don't work at all with modern televisions. They require a CRT for the Zapper to work. It's great that this is not an obstacle anymore for those who'd like to have a round or two of these games. Sure, using the Wii Remote isn't quite the same as using real Zapper, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah the Wii U & 3DS VC has added a load of features. Wii VC's only added feature I can think of was with Pokémon Snap but now we're getting things like Wii Remote control for the Light Gun games, multiplayer etc.

foxuzamaki

Lets not forget the quick save feature, I believe you can quick save with N64 games aswell, not sure as I haven't bought any WiiU N64 games yet.

JoeM86

Lets not forget the quick save feature, I believe you can quick save with N64 games aswell, not sure as I haven't bought any WiiU N64 games yet.

Well with the Wii U, they have put darkness filters on to replicate things like CRT TVs and the original GBA screen. That has annoyed many with the N64 games plus the perception of input lag.

Only the GBA screen is one I agree with, since the games were all artificially lightened to counter it on the GBA.

GamerJM

Banned
It's great now, people just complained at the time because of how slow the rollout was. But if you go back you have a huge selection of games available to you, all at relatively cheap prices, across a wide variety of systems and all with relatively good emulation.

BadWolf

Should i grab all of the SNK fightans or have some of them aged badly: (Tizoc, Oneida, Badwolf)

Which ones are you looking to get?

Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, KOF, Last Blade, Samurai Shodown etc. are all damn solid series.

On the non-fighters side Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, Sengoku 3 are awesome as well.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I can't think of the Wii's Virtual Console without subconsciously hearing Chris Kohler's impassioned rants about it on Retronauts each week. It ended up being one of those retro libraries that looks really great on the aggregate when it's all said and done, but was kind of an agonizing slow drip sometimes.

Baseball/Urban Champion week, never forget!

I always feel bad about how harsh we were on Virtual Console during the Wii era. It was like complaining about the seasoning on your weekly steak and lobster tail dinners, unaware that soon you'd be stuck for the rest of your life on a desert island where you'd have to subsist on bugs and raw rat meat.

sörine

Banned
For the systems it covered, Wii VC was pretty amazing. TG16 and Genesis were especially well covered too.

I think the major holes in the library were:

-Mother/Earthbound (rectified on Wii U)
-Super FX games: Star Fox, Stunt Race FX, Yoshi's Island, etc
-Zapper/Super Scope games (semi-rectified on Wii U)
-SVP/Sega CD/32X games: Virtua Racing, Sonic CD, Lunar, etc
-Quintet SNES creation trilogy: SoulBlazer, Gaia & Terranigma
-Konami NES/SNES cute 'em ups, ie: Parodius & Twinbee games (semi-rectified on Wii U)
-Konami Genesis games: Hard Corps, Bloodlines, RKA, etc
-Game Collections: Mario All-Stars, MM Wily Wars, NG Trilogy, etc
-Tecnosoft Genesis games: Herzog Zwei, Thunderforce series, etc
-western games in general: only Factor 5, LucasArts, Activision or Interplay were present at all
-Arcade games in general: only Namco in Japan really tackled this comprehensively, no DK/Jr/MB is a bizarre omission
-3rd party N64 games in general: Mischief Makers, Goemon, Snowboard Kids, etc
-Too much MSX stuff to count, also never made it overseas
-Later Neo Geo games like Garou, MS5, SSV, etc (maybe a RAM issue?)

There were some other obvious missed opportunities besides those (Pilotwings 64, Ys III, Ranger X, Guardian Legend, Clash at Demonhead, Secret of Evermore, Magical Chase, Waku Waku 7, Nintendo World Cup, Warsong, etc, etc) but those seem like the bigger ones. More localizations like what Sega did for MW4 would've been great too. SE in particular could've banked from this even if they only used already complete localizations from rereleases and remakes for it (FF2/3/5, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Romancing SaGa).

I have no idea why Nintendo didn't keep the same shop and just add on to it when the Wii U released. Starting over from scratch? The fuck Nintendo, make the library bigger, not restart it.

Banned
Well sure if you look at it now. But it took six years to develop the library it has and Nintendo released those VC games like a coffee machine drip drops.

Tabris

It's really stupid they didn't create a universal emulator between Wii and Wii U that just allows you to play the Virtual Console games you purchased on Wii on Wii U instead of having to boot into a seperate store and interface in Wii mode.

Well honestly it doesn't matter for me as I won't buy Wii U, but I am wishing they have that fixed and figured out by NX so NX has all the virtual titles of Wii and Wii U.

sörine;187178037 said:
For the systems it covered, Wii VC was pretty amazing. TG16 and Genesis were especially well covered too.

I think the major holes in the library were:
-Later Neo Geo games like Garou, MS5, SSV, etc (maybe a RAM issue?)

There were some other obvious missed opportunities besides those (Pilotwings 64, Ys III, Ranger X, Guardian Legend, Clash at Demonhead, Secret of Evermore, Magical Chase, Waku Waku 7, Nintendo World Cup, Warsong, etc, etc) but those seem like the bigger ones. More localizations like what Sega did for MW4 would've been great too. SE in particular could've banked from this even if they only used already complete localizations from rereleases and remakes for it (FF2/3/5, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Romancing SaGa).

The Neo Geo selection probably wasn't a ram issue. SNK mostly released stuff in order of release, same on PSN. So early entries came before later ones. Neo Geo games weren't released for over a year in 2010-2011 on the Virtual Console while SNK was adding them to PSN.

When SNK stopped NEO GEO Station support they started releasing games for the Virtual Console again in 2012- 2013. It was this period that later games like KOF 98, Last Blade series, World Heroes Perfect and the Real Bout series were released.

The last games released in the middle of 2013 were Sengoku 3 and KOF '99. Garou was newer than The Last Blade and Real Bout 2. It was just too late to keep releasing stuff.

Both Samurai Shodown V and Metal Slug V are available on Wii through collections.

Waku Waku 7 was released in Japan Virtual Console. It wasn't released in the US because there was no home US release. All Neo Geo Virtual Console games were based on AES not MVS.

Shahed

I'm speaking from ignorance there but it seems like an oversight for there not to have any GB/GBC/GBA games on that list. Does Wii U VC have those platforms?

Marz

Which ones are you looking to get?

Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, KOF, Last Blade, Samurai Shodown etc. are all damn solid series.

On the non-fighters side Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, Sengoku 3 are awesome as well.

get fatal fury special
it takes some getting used to (no dashing, slowdown) but its cool as heck!
heres a japanese ffs tournament from this year
https://youtu.be/EEgqqRkmoP8

Maybe one of the real bouts and kof 98 i think.

Already got Samurai Shodown Collection and Last Blade 2.

How is World Heroes?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Maybe one of the real bouts and kof 98 i think.

Already got Samurai Shodown Collection and Last Blade 2.

How is World Heroes?
honestly get 98UMFE on pc instead, on VC get like 97 since that hasnt been touched up elsewhere to my knowledge

RB tier list is RBS>RB>RB2
and FFS is better than all of them

sörine

Banned
The Neo Geo selection probably wasn't a ram issue. SNK mostly released stuff in order of release, same on PSN. So early entries came before later ones. Neo Geo games weren't released for over a year in 2010-2011 on the Virtual Console while SNK was adding them to PSN.

When SNK stopped NEO GEO Station support they started releasing games for the Virtual Console again in 2012- 2013. It was this period that later games like KOF 98, Last Blade series, World Heroes Perfect and the Real Bout series were released.

The last games released in the middle of 2013 were Sengoku 3 and KOF '99. Garou was newer than The Last Blade and Real Bout 2. It was just too late to keep releasing stuff.

Both Samurai Shodown V and Metal Slug V are available on Wii through collections.

Waku Waku 7 was released in Japan Virtual Console. It wasn't released in the US because there was no home US release. All Neo Geo Virtual Console games were based on AES not MVS.
Wii VC had to be under 42MB iirc, so even with compression I'd imagine the largest Neo games (KOF 2002/2003, MS5, SVC Chaos) still might've been problematic.

The Waku Waku 7 thing I'd never heard but it makes some sense and maybe explains why we never got it or other titles Japan did like Twinkle Star Sprites or Pulstar. On the other hand we got Ironclad, which saw no AES release at all anywhere and a Japan only CD release. Was that based on the MVS version?

Kazerei

Banned
Aww yeah, Virtual Console was my favorite Wii feature. If it was just Nintendo games on Nintendo systems, it'd still be pretty great. But nope, it was fucking AMAZING with tons of third party games, even on other platforms!

At first I was just re-buying some of my favorite games, but then I realized I should focus on buying rare, expensive, hard-to-find games, to take advantage of VC's true potential. It's kind of beautiful having the Ogre series (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber, and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) all in a row :')

joedick

Well sure if you look at it now. But it took six years to develop the library it has and Nintendo released those VC games like a coffee machine drip drops.

We were getting 3-4 per week in the beginning, the drip-drip came later. I assume part of it was that there wasn't much left to release. I can't imagine Nintendo would allow SNK to release Neo Geo games in 2012 but forbid anyone from releasing NES or TG-16 stuff. Who knows, though.

sörine

Banned
We were getting 3-4 per week in the beginning, the drip-drip came later. I assume part of it was that there wasn't much left to release. I can't imagine Nintendo would allow SNK to release Neo Geo games in 2012 but forbid anyone from releasing NES or TG-16 stuff. Who knows, though.
The slowdown started coinciding with WiiWare in mid 2008. Adelman and Co. were very much proponents of giving that service priority and crippling VC, even though it did nothing to raise digital revenues in the end and sales were flat from what VC was doing alone previously.

Top Bottom