• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a shooter recommendation.

BossLackey

Gold Member
images

I'm really in the mood for a multiplayer shooter, but something that isn't too competitive. Ideally it would be coop PVE or something, but there aren't a ton of those.

I keep coming back to Destiny 2, but I don't know if I want to start that grind-fest or not (it's not out of the question).

Please sir, can I have a recommendation?

Ogbert

Yep. Division 2 is cool. Flawed, but strangely underrated. Zombie army 4 is good fun.

To be honest, if it’s an fps you’re after, there’s not much beyond D2 (unless you can stomach CoD or Overwatch). Don’t worry about the grind, it’s all very gentle. Although the new season is a bit shit and solar 3.0 kinda sucks.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Destiny 2 is indeed a grind fest if you want to get really good gear, but when it comes to shooting aliens with friends it’s still one of best online PVE experiences you can have.

There’s a few people in my clan that only play a few days here and there per month and they still enjoy it. It doesn’t have to be any more of a grind than you want it to be.

Last edited:

ViolentP

Remnant is great. If the community is active, Division 2. Back 4 Blood if you’re desperate.

Otherwise, BFV.

Filben

Outriders. Good story and story presentation, no MTX, lots of missions/quests, cool shooting and effects, good loot. Little to no grind necessary for main story and questing.

Deep Rock Galactic. Cool procedural dungeons, humorous, different classes.

Esca

Tiny tina wonderlands. If you like borderlands games you'll like this one.
It's just coop though

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Since everything else has been mentioned: If you have someone to start with, or is willing to create a new character and level up with you, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. Once you get to about level 20 you'll be able to reliably find sessions online with others where the enemies won't be so high of a level that you won't feel useless (well, maybe about level 25).

And of course you can go it solo whenever you want.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
OP, shoot me a PM if you want to play Operation Tango with me. I bought it, so it's free for you, and it's a lower stress coop. Not exactly a shooter though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Isn’t Valorant still a thing? That game keeps popping up in my head and yet I haven’t ever played it. Wasn’t it very popular for a while or is still popular with Overwatch fans?

That’s not PVE. I hear some good things about Outriders.

Last edited:

Sensates

Division 2 and Outriders for the grind. Killing floor 2 or Chivalry 2 to kill time.

Rather sad Battleborn is no longer an option, but I still play Overwatch & Paladins casually. Can't stand Valorant.

Kupfer

World War Z on Gamepass is better than I expected. Very casual third person Left 4 Dead vibes. Co-op.

wwz_headergif.gif
The muzzle flash occurs directly behind the chamber inside the gun and not at the end of the barrel.
Details like this drive me crazy!

@Topic:
DayZ
I know a lot of people don't like it, it had a messed up development history and now it's not what the fans (including me) were hoping for in a standalone, but it's still a great game and I come back every few months for a few days and have a blast. You can play it in a way that avoids most players. And it gets x-times better when you have buddies on your side.

There are PVE servers, but I personally don't find that exciting enough, but it might be a good place to start.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The muzzle flash occurs directly behind the chamber inside the gun and not at the end of the barrel.
Details like this drive me crazy!

@Topic:
DayZ
I know a lot of people don't like it, it had a messed up development history and now it's not what the fans (including me) were hoping for in a standalone, but it's still a great game and I come back every few months for a few days and have a blast. You can play it in a way that avoids most players. And it gets x-times better when you have buddies on your side.

There are PVE servers, but I personally don't find that exciting enough, but it might be a good place to start.
haha, can't unsee it now. That's funny.

anthony2690

It's also on GamePass.
Dude, my missus's car could do with a good power wash, come put your training to use! I'll even let you pay me £1 for the first three months for the privilege to power wash the car too ;)

I'll never understand the appeal to simulate mundane/job related stuff, I use to know a guy who was a farmer and he would finish on the farm and go home and unwind by playing farming simulator, I'll never understand

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Battlefield 2042 is better than anything out there gamers come up with reasons to not play it you have to respect dice, the player count, large maps, winning soundtrack in the end I rank it ahead of shooters like the division, laughable team fortress and gears of war.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Dude, my missus's car could do with a good power wash, come put your training to use! I'll even let you pay me £1 for the first three months for the privilege to power wash the car too ;)

I'll never understand the appeal to simulate mundane/job related stuff, I use to know a guy who was a farmer and he would finish on the farm and go home and unwind by playing farming simulator, I'll never understand

Game must be doing something right. I think it's the second highest rated game this year on Steam. 97% positive out of 21,372 reviews.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Remnant from the ashes if you like dark soul with gun.

You can coop and it is pve.

Or deep rock galactic like someone else said.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I did enjoy Remnant and recommend it if you want a story campaign. Deep Rock Galactic seems less aim based and more based on short replayable sessions. Escape from Tarkov is the game which is hot right now though. It is PvP, but you can play it coop just to loot stuff and make it out alive.

Top Bottom