• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for some help, for a loved one.

Zurick

Banned
Hey guys. My grandfather passed this week. Friday morning. I'm doing the best I can with what little time I have to get this done and I'm short $2500 at the moment. I got a little under 20 hours to get this finished and the cash isn't the problem. It's the sudden requirement for a larger sum of cash in a short amount of time. I started a GoFundMe and it's been going well. It's why I'm only $2500 down now. I don't like to ask people for money but for my grandfather I have zero pride. He was both my best friend and father.

He was like a father, and my best friend and I had my head so far up my ass for so long that I didn't help push him towards this sort of stuff. When I finally pulled it out, and started to do my end I didn't want to do this because I thought that by doing it I would make it inevitable which is completely irrational since I'm not even superstitious. I didn't want to make it real. He was doing great a month ago and if you would have asked me then I felt I had years left with him. I didn't. I found out yesterday that he was dealing with cancer on his kidneys, lungs, brain and heart. I can't even imagine the pain he was hiding from me on a daily basis and looking back the signs were there. He even hid it from his doctor. He had a strength that I'll just never have. He did so much out of love and strength that it's not possible for me to measure up to him. I feel selfish since he was in his 90s, but I still just wanted and still want more time with him. He never asked me for anything in life except to be buried with his wife and I'm trying to do that. I feel like I'm a failure right now and I know it's not all on me but if I didn't spent so much time on WoW I could have handled this with him a lot sooner.

Now I sit here typing this, exhausting all of my resources and now I'm trying to lean on the gaming community that has helped me through so much in my life mentally. When Gazillion closed and I was laid off from Marvel Heroes on Thanksgiving I didn't know what was next and I did what I usually do by putting myself in a corner and pretending things were ok but he was there to pull me out of the dumps and I returned it by driving for lyft/uber so I could be there for when he needed me and the longer he was looking fine the more comfortable I got that he would be around until 100. He believed it. I believed it. It didn't happen. It felt sudden to me. It feels sudden to me. He was hospitalized at the start of this month with Pneumonia and he was released. He beat it but they found a mass on his lungs then. They didn't want to do a biopsy because of his age so they got him back on his feet and he came home fine and dandy. Monday he went back in. This time into ICU and I knew something was off. Over the next few days they said he was improving and they were optimistic. They moved him out of ICU feeling he was fine, and he gave them a thumbs up. That night he lost all brain functions and slipped away around 6am EST. I got the call during my first job of the day and I never felt emotions like I have right now still. I just want to honor his last wishes, and I wish you guys could have met him. He was truly a remarkable person.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/qp4y8-bury-my-grandfather

Even if you can't contribute financially, sharing this would be huge.

Thanks.

DESTROYA

Sorry for your loss, cancer is a horrible thing.
I’ve gone through the same thing loosing my brother to cancer and it sounds cliche but time does heal wounds.
It still hurts everyday but as time goes by you think more of the way they lived not how they passed.

Condolences to the family and I hope that you'll be able to move forward from this. But at the same time I feel as though his burial arrangements should have been handled whilst he was still alive. This has become cliche for me to state in the multiple mourning threads we have on NeoGAF about being prepared, but sometimes the writing is clearly on the wall and you have to take action regardless of personal desire.

Apologies for writing this OP.

Zurick

Banned
Condolences to the family and I hope that you'll be able to move forward from this. But at the same time I feel as though his burial arrangements should have been handled whilst he was still alive. This has become cliche for me to state in the multiple mourning threads we have on NeoGAF about being prepared, but sometimes the writing is clearly on the wall and you have to take action regardless of personal desire.

Apologies for writing this OP.

I know. :( I am absolutely not doing this to whomever I leave behind. I'm ok with being given to science and will be taking steps to get that done.

nkarafo

My Condolences as well.

And jesus christ i wasn't aware it's so expensive to die. I'll make sure everyone close to me knows they can donate my body to a medical school or something.

Zurick

Banned
My Condolences as well.

And jesus christ i wasn't aware it's so expensive to die. I'll make sure everyone close to me knows they can donate my body to a medical school or something.

I wasn't either.

12 hours to go though and with cash given to me by a friend I'm down to needing a little over $1500.

Top Bottom