• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loop Hero |OT| Card-Based Reverse Tower Defense Strategy [PC, Mac, & Linux]

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
EsIuVUWXEAcoXHc

ABOUT

The Lich has thrown the world into a timeless loop and plunged its inhabitants into never ending chaos. Wield an expanding deck of mystical cards to place enemies, buildings, and terrain along each unique expedition loop for the brave hero. Recover and equip powerful loot for each class of hero for their battles and expand the survivors' camp to reinforce each adventure through the loop. Unlock new classes, new cards, and devious guardians on your quest to shatter the endless cycle of despair.

• Infinite Adventure: Select from unlockable character classes and deck cards before setting out on each expedition along a randomly generated loop path. No expedition is ever the same as the ones before it.
  • Plan Your Struggle: Strategically place building, terrain, and enemy cards along each loop to create your own dangerous path. Find balance between the cards to increase your chances of survival while recovering valuable loot and resources for your camp.
  • Loot and Upgrade: Strike down menacing creatures, recover stronger loot to equip on the fly and unlock new perks along the way.
  • Expand Your Camp: Turn hard-earned resources into campsite upgrades and gain valuable reinforcements with each completed loop along the expedition path.
  • Save the Lost World: Overcome a series of unholy guardian bosses over a grand saga to save the world and break the time loop of the Lich!

TRAILER

SCREENSHOTS

EpSZxyWVQAUqOFr
EsNZ-3wXYAEm-xa
EpdpiejWMAAOUfy
Epdpic_WMAEZvdz

Gameplay / Coverage

EpSZxu6VQAAt8xF

Last edited:

Gabbelgak

Looks up my alley. I'm not seeing any console mentions on the website is it planned PC only before I grab it off steam? NVMD See the title of thread now PC Only. Will grab there.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Very cool OP, thanks!

I'll be trying this as soon as I can. Game seems to be interesiting and very original, and I really dig that artstyle.

Gabbelgak

That first boss lol. Got absolutely destroyed by him. Game is pretty fun. I feel like you learn a little each run. I noticed that when I put a bunch of mountains together on my last run they form into a sort of mega mountain and you get a bunch of resources. It has a unique strategy to learn and balance.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Enjoying my time so far. Bummed to see they removed the demo but the game is easily worth the $12.74 launch price. I've done 3 runs so far besides the tutorial. First one I sent 3 loops, could have gone more but wanted to see what happened when you return to camp. Second run I made it 4 loops and could not risk another. Third run I made it 5 loops, an event occurred, which made me think I needed to return to the camp, but I am guessing I should have gone another loop.

Really enjoying my time so far. Love the art style as well.

RazL3qA.jpg

Just realized the achievements are not unlocking for me. Strange.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just beat the first boss/chapter. Honestly a bit surprised as I did not suspect my build was solid enough. Definitely helps to have the right gear + bonus attributes. Layouts can be key as well. Stack as many regions as possible. This means that crystal + meadows + stones to max out meadows to 3hp/day + 2x bonus from the crystals.

Seems crazy that I got the boss achievement before getting the 10 expeditions achievement.

Also, stealing tips from one of the Steam guides (link here):

Card Combos
1. Rocks

• 3x3 Rocks (you can add Mountains to it, but generally, mountain cards should be saved to use without spending them on the Mountain Peak) will make a Mountain Peak. It gives a massive HP boost but also spawns Harpies
  • every 10 rocks or mountains a Goblin Outpost will spawn
2. Meadows
  • Meadows placed next to anything = Blooming Meadow, which heals 3HP instead of 2 each day, it also gives you more resources
3. Village
  • Village + Vampire mansion = Ransacked Village - Spawns 4 Ghouls each loop for 3 loops, after that transforms into a Count's Lands, restoring more HP and giving you better rewards for quests
4. Swamp
  • Swamp + Goblin outpost = Goblin lookout post, they add goblin archer to fights near the outpost, he can't be killed as he's a support unit.
  • Card synergy - Placing Swamp near Vampire Mansion will turn Vampire's heal from lifesteal into damage making them easier to kill. CREDIT McWaffle <3
5. Treasury
  • Treasury will spawn random resources after placing a tile next to it, surround it with tiles to open the treasury and get a nice pack of resources, be careful though as Empty Treasury spawns Gargoyles
6. Battlefield
  • 2 Battlefields placed next to each other will create bloody path, it will start spawning blood clots
7. Grove
  • Place a Blood Grove next to a Grove, then use Oblivion on a Grove to create a Hungry Grove tile - It kills enemies that have 20% hp left but ocassionally attacks hero for 17HP
  • You can also create a Hungry Grove by placing 2 Blood Groves next to each other.
    Credit: abergdrawsnear
  • Place a Vampire Village next to a Grove to start spawning Blood Golems - CREDIT, Kajiya Thank you!
8. River
  • Create Battlefield next to it to create a Shipwreck - It spawns Chests and Sirens
  • Place a Road next to it to create Reeds, they spawn Fishmen
  • Place next to Sand Dunes to upgrade them
9. Forest
  • If you place a Storm Temple down, then a Forest or thicket in the path of the Storm Temple, it turns into a burned forest, that gives you .5 magic damage each. - CREDIT: NonSensePanda <3
10. A Village?
  • 10 Forests/Thickets will spawn "A Village?" which starts spawning training dummies. Credit: Darth Saruman <3
  • Place Wheat Fields down beside "A Village?" to create Overgrown Fields.
    Credit: Hatecaster <3
  • You can also create Overgrown Fields by using Oblivion on a Village after placing Wheat Fields next to it. Credit: TripleHelix935 <3
11. Suburbs
  • if you surround it completely with other Suburbs it upgrades into the Town, which grants 2 additional enemy experience per kill. Credit: WyvernZed <3
12. Abandoned Bookery
  • Abandoned Bookery + Temporal Beacon spawns Watcher Mage Credit: Hopit <3
  • Abandoned Bookery + Vampire Mansion spawns Vampire Mage Credit: Anver <3

Tactics and Synergies
1. Having a Ransacked Village in range of a Blood Grove will prevent the ghouls from eating corpses. - Credit: M4rt1nV
2. Chrono Crystal doubles the effect of a day's passing, so they combo well with (Blooming) Meadows which gives heals on a day's passing. - Credit: anaid
3. After the charges for Bookery run out, it becomes Abandoned Bookery, which adds enemy tomes to battles within their radius. - Credit: Hatecaster
4. Bloody paths are amazing for regen builds, blood cloth don't really hit hard and skips 1 turn every 3 turn to submerge.Making it great place to regen back lost health. Credit: RoaRawR
5. Outposts:
As a Rogue, they won't take any payment since you only get trophies. So, they're free help, other than taking up the map slot.
As a Necromancer, they shoot arrows at everyone, allies and enemies alike. It can be helpful for clearing weaker enemies, but probably not worth the time.
You can have more than one outpost spawning minions on a tile. Credit: jakew42

Last edited:

vpance

Didn’t seem interesting when I saw it on the store at first but I read around a bit more and bought it. Enjoying it so far, but I can see it becoming grindy. The music in it is awesome.

Art style is fantastic. Too bad I'm not big on card games.

There’s some card aspects to it but it’s far from being your regular deck builder game from what I’ve played so far. It’s more like puzzle builder with loot.

Played the first chapter. It’s really neat but I’m wondering how it will evolve enough to keep its hooks in me. As of right now I don’t feel too compelled to rush into the next chapter. I dunno. Also, really love the visuals, sounds and music. It’s got a great style and tone though I wish it had avoided any quirky humor as I think the more straight and earnest dialog is much better.

vpance

Rogue class is squishy as hell but can deal high damage. Seems to need all the healing and evasion it can get. Just unlocked the wheat fields so that should help out there.

jaysius

Banned
There’s not much gameplay in this game, it’s a step up from a cookie clicker, it’s fun but they could have added a few more mechanics.

The demo was ok, but the next copy cat will be much better.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have played 80 hours of Loop Hero. This game is just crack in game form. Been a while since I had it this bad.
I hope to see some new content in the future because I would love to see more combinations with the land cards.

Yep, this game would benefit easily from expansion packs. For sure there will be a sequel with how successful it appears to be.

Shai-Tan

Banned
this seems like something I would be into but so far I'm a bit meh. im guessing i just don't understand the game mechanics (strategy to card placement) enough yet. reminds me a bit of the Badman games on psp/vita that I wanted to like but couldn't really get into because it required setting up a cascade of memorized combos. but this game is less rube goldberg so I think I'm just too early on

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
this seems like something I would be into but so far I'm a bit meh. im guessing i just don't understand the game mechanics (strategy to card placement) enough yet. reminds me a bit of the Badman games on psp/vita that I wanted to like but couldn't really get into because it required setting up a cascade of memorized combos. but this game is less rube goldberg so I think I'm just too early on

There's not too much to the placement in the 1st stage. Experimentation is key. RNG is still at play in terms of what drops you get. The harder the enemy, the better the loot.

Have you unlocked other cards besides the starting ones?

Lanrutcon

Game opens up a lot once you've got your town filled with the basics. Some people run giant deserts (lowering everything's max hp), some people run lush jungles (300% attack speed solves many problems), others create massive suburbs (because having every perk does offer certain advantages). Each requires different cards and priorities.

Saw someone completed chapter 4 without using equipment. Figure that one out.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Ah, the latest indie du jour. I have heard so many people talk about this game, is it actually GOTY level or just hype?

Reactions: MrS

TrainedRage

Banned
I thought this game would suck. Looking at videos and pictures is a disservice to this game. Downloaded it to give it a try and played for like 6 hours straight.

Amazing little gem of a game. Great for people with two monitors or when you are doing something but also want to play a game.

Give it a try people. Return it if it’s not for you but damn, more people should try this game.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Unlocked the Rogue class. I'll give that one a go after lunch or tomorrow. Seems like it might be an OP class?

I've been grinding level 1 and might keep going that route to unlock more settlements or whatever they're called.

Reactions: MrS

MrS

Banned
This will be top 3 this year regardless of what else drops. Love this game. Phenomenal.

Great job with the OT too Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage . Wish more people here were playing and appreciating the thread and the game.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

"LOOP HERO UPDATE v1.1 BETA
The Quality of Life (beta) update is finally live (in beta)!
It's Here!

We've decided to release QoL update v1.1 in Beta first to resolve any unforeseen consequences. We've tested it, of course, and resolved everything we've found, but we still might've missed something. Play at Your Own Risk!
It may be problematic to return to the public v1.013 version with a beta save, so
PLEASE, COPY YOUR NEW V1.1.0 SAVE TO A DIFFERENT SLOT.

You can then return to v1.013, if you dislike the patch for some reason. *sharpens blade*

To access the Beta, right click Loop Hero in your Steam Library and go to Properties > Betas. Select "beta1.1" from the dropdown menu and Steam should queue the download.

Main Updates:
  1. In-Expedition Saves:
    As many of you asked, now the game saves in the expeditions if you quit. To resolve possible issues we've added:
    • Escape during battles! - Now you can escape to the camp right before the eyes of your enemies. You'll still lose as much loot as you would have if you died, but it's flashier.
    • Debug retreat and backup loading! - Now if you hold "load"/"continue" button in the main menu, you'll get two new buttons - "debug retreat" and "load backup". First allows you to abandon the expedition on that save and return to camp. But you will lose all your resources from that expedition, so use it in emergency cases only. And backup loads the previous version of your camp.
  2. Expedition and Fight Speed Sliders:
    Now the speed changing button is a little different. It's a slider going from 1x-4x instead of a 1x-2x switch. There is also an option to change the fight speed, which you can turn on in the options menu. Although the game fighting system is balanced around the default 1x speed and you might risk not understanding what happens on higher speeds.
  3. Decks:
    Now you can switch the card, item and trait deck, and have up to 4 of them. Oh, and by the way:
  4. Perk Deck:
    Now there is a possibility to "turn off" the trait you get from bosses, so they aren't a hindrance if you changed your mind.
  5. New Tiles and New Enemies:
    It's more interesting if you find out about them yourselves. We'll just say there's 3 of each.
  6. Camp Item Stacks:
    Some camp items have a limit on an amount of same items that can be equipped at once.
  7. Now items can be locked in the inventory by right-clicking them, so they aren't destroyed when you get new equipment.
  8. A lot of traits/enemy skills/parameters reworded for clearer indication of the effect.
  9. A bunch of changes to the English and Russian texts, a lot of typos fixed, as well as some translation issues.
  10. Some Minor Bugfixes.
  11. Speedrun Mode:
    • Activating this will turn on the chapter timer which will always show during gameplay.
    • If you start a new game with the speedrun mode on, there will also be an "any%" timer, which shows the time of the entire walkthrough.
After some beta-testing (and probably a few updates), this will become fully public and replace the current v1.013 version.

- Four Quarters Team -"

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Loop Hero Serves Up New Tiles & Enemies in v1.1 Update

Today, the brave adventurers at Four Quarters have revealed the first major update for Loop Hero, focusing on player feedback, quality of life improvements, new tiles and enemies.

New Features include:
  • Save On The Go:
    The new update features an option to save and exit the game in the middle of an expedition, preserving your progress.
  • Perks Deck:
    A new option that locks boss perks so they don't drop in the expedition perk pool.
  • Escape From Battle:
    Safety-conscious heroes can now escape during battles with 30 percent of their resources.
  • Speed Up:
    The speed button now includes up to 4x expedition speed and 2.5x battle speed.
  • Inventory Management:
    Items can now be locked in the inventory by right-clicking on them.
  • Deck Switching:
    Decks can now be switched in the cards, supplies, and perks menus.
  • New Tiles, New Enemies:
    Three new tiles and two new enemies have been added to the game, but it’s up to heroes to find them...
In addition to the update, acclaimed video game documentarians Noclip recently released a film charting the creation of Loop Hero, from Ludum Dare game jam to Steam best seller.
Watch the full documentary here:

Loop Hero will continue to reveal more of its secrets in further updates. Visit loophero.com and follow @_FQteam and @devolverdigital on Twitter for deeper and darker insights.

Top Bottom