• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of The Fallen "dev" says the game was originally made for Unreal 4. Unreal Engine 5 broke the game

Hudo

EU5 has been the biggest shit show for developers. Every single game runs like dog shit and the quality increase over other engines is barely visable.

At this point EU5 rep is so bad, i avoid games like the plague in it.
I heard rumors that DQ12 is also gonna be a UE5 game...

Freeman76

Why didnt they just stick to UE4 then?

Sorry but this stuff seems so pathetic. "We are sorry we released a broken game, its not our fault its the engines fault, even though we knew it wasnt working we still used it anyway".

Also, tell us this BEFORE we buy it, dont stay quiet and wait until you have peoples money, then come up with excuses.

As others have said, gaming really is in poor shape these days. We actually celebrate a game that wasnt released with a battle pass or a road map of fixes. Its some sorry shit.

Hohenheim

I've had no performance issues at all with this game. Runs silk smooth on ultra settings, locked to 90fps.
No stuttering, no fps drops.
Game feels great!
playing on a rtx 3090 and i9 12900k.

Braag

I'm sure it would have been stutter city on UE4 too. UE just overall has a lot of issues with performance.

Reallink

BTW I think CD Project Red made a terrible, TERRIBLE mistake when they announced they were dropping their own engine for Unreal Engine 5 for the new Witcher game. They've got one of the most advanced and optimized 3D engines in the world and now they're throwing it all away for an engine that has so far been a complete performance disaster for third parties.

CDPR's engine runs at 1440p/40fps with last gen assets and textures on an $1800 100TF GPU that's probably faster than a PS6 or Xbox Series Z. It took them 3 years and $120 million dollars of post release patches to get their dumpster fire in an acceptable state. It's literally impossible for UE5 to be worse if AA devs are managing to release mostly competent games with 11th hour engines swaps.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

They know it & still launch the game in this state ?
People need to land 70$ so they can finish beta ?
That's why we are here today with games that are bad........

UE5 is a shitshow all around it seems, I've heard some stories by devs who were essentially saying "wtf did Epic think when they released it like that?".
And I'll probably have to get my hands muddy with UE5 as well pretty soon... I bet our UE4 projects don't just "move over".

Kill me now.
Could you elaborate on their gripes with the engine? Curious to know what issues UE5 brings to the table.

BbMajor7th

Fucking mess. Once again, management taking the 'offer me solutions' approach and assuming if they will it hard enough, things will work out.

UE5 is clearly way too heavy for current gen consoles. Lies of P devs were right to stick with UE4, not everyone loves the game's mechanics, but ain't no-one bitching about the presentation or performance.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
CDPR's engine runs at 1440p/40fps with last gen assets and textures on an $1800 100TF GPU that's probably faster than a PS6 or Xbox Series Z. It took them 3 years and $120 million dollars of post release patches to get their dumpster fire in an acceptable state. It's literally impossible for UE5 to be worse if AA devs are managing to release mostly competent games with 11th hour engines swaps.

That $120 million turned the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 in the best looking game on the planet if you turn on all the RT bells and whistles. It's also perfectly optimized for multi-core cpus from both AMD and Intel.

CDPR made the mistake of creating a next gen game for last gen consoles and that bit them in the ass. But now that they've got their next gen game engine running smoothly it would be a mistake to throw away that multi year investment in their 3D engine.

T69TBEd.jpg

oXzuvEe.jpg

Kenpachii

Cyberpunk absolute curpstomps all the stutter shit that UE5 produces visually looking.

Honestly, they should ditch UE5 and stay with the current engine.

Hudo

Could you elaborate on their gripes with the engine? Curious to know what issues UE5 brings to the table.
I didn't get too far into details since I only talked to them for like 20 minutes or so before I had to leave but the biggest thing I talked about with one guy was that apparently Epic have rolled out their internal physics handler for UE5 instead of using PhysX (as UE4 does) and that new handler is a lot worse (less stable for fine-grade collisions and also not as performant), so they had to redo their whole optimization process again. Another chimed in (but he was more of a "producer") saying that Epic specifically stated that there is "rock-solid" backwards compatibility with UE4 projects. They couldn't move any of their UE4 stuff over without shit braking. Be it simple stuff where nodes in their Blueprints weren't there anymore, to more specific stuff like external libraries not working at all (causing segfaults). And one guy also talked to me about how his sound-system he created (based off raytracing to do 3D surround sound and to compute hall-effects and "damped" sound through walls etc.) performed way worse, to the point where it wasn't in-sync anymore with the current frame. Another said that he programmed in some movement-registration algorithm for a VR project that refused to work the HMDs they had used before (some version of Vive Pro or Pro Eye, I don't remember).

But again, it was only like 20 minutes of conversation before I had to move on. If you look at the sub-reddit, people are essentially busting your balls if you even entertain the idea of not upgrading to UE5 since "UE5 is UE4 but better in every regard", according to the people there. I haven't touched UE5 myself as of yet, only dabbled with it superficially. But that will change fairly soon and I am already dreading it...

I guess it could be worse. Like having to convert your shit from Unity to Unreal... that must be all sorts of hell.

Ozriel

M$FT
UE5 is an ‘upgrade’ on UE4. You’re not switching to an entirely new engine, you’re not re-learning anything and certainly doesn’t seem like any justification for ‘downgrade’ claims.

Take this with pinch of salt.

sinnergy

UE5 is an ‘upgrade’ on UE4. You’re not switching to an entirely new engine, you’re not re-learning anything and certainly doesn’t seem like any justification for ‘downgrade’ claims.

Take this with pinch of salt.
Well I can imagine that there where obstacles with the switch , sometimes epic even remove old functions. I had projects that I work on at home even break from UE5 versions , like going from 5.1 to 5.2.

I can also imagine if you are not using , nanite objects, lumen and world partition because you started as UE 4 game, you could see a reduction in performance. As this is the way UE5 runs best, this is Epics vision.

I think they needed more time .

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
UE5 is too heavy for current consoles, better results are obtained using UE4.

Some of the worst performing PC games in the past couple of years were made using UE4: Gotham Knights, Redfall, Star Wars Jedi Survivor ...

sinnergy

Some of the worst performing PC games in the past couple of years were made using UE4: Gotham Knights, Redfall, Star Wars Jedi Survivor ...
Most here think that it is the engine that makes the games ..

But that is just a Tool, ever seen those ultra realistic car drawings in Microsoft Paint … in MS paint ..

Sadly there are stakeholders everywhere.. and deadlines .

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I don't think there's a problem with UE5 so much as there's a problem with upgrading from UE4 to UE5 halfway through development. You're seeing all these issues with UE5 games because no one has had time to make a game in UE5 from the ground up yet.

DemWalls

Whether this is true or not, this whole situation reminded me of Cyberpunk, three years ago. Developers who know the game simply isn't ready being forced by some higher ups to release it to not miss the holiday season (even though in this period the competition is generally the fiercest), when delaying it just a few months could really help the public perception of the product, which will probably in turn lead to better sales in the longer run.

It's a very short sighted approach, and I feel for the devs who will now likely be forced to crunch to right the ship.

Last edited:

the_master

Part of the reason why cyberpunk launched in such a sorry state is because of their engine.

Developing and maintaining an engine is very hard work. Not only do you have to work on and fix the game, you have to work on and fix up engine issues.

Unreal engine means that they'll be able to put all their devs on making the game.

Plus unreal 5 is a generation ahead in terms of cutting edge features. Especially by the time Witcher 4 launches, red engine would be massively outdated.
Everything you said is wrong.

Cyberpunk launched with problems vecause of production.

Maintaining UE5 on a AAA is also very costly, as unreal releses frequent updates that break your stuff but keep adding some features tou may need.

Unreal means most of their engine team left the company.

UE5 is not a generation head of anything. Red engine looks greats and provides several unique features. Red engine was constantly worked on like every other AAA engine and it gets better non stop.

Hudo

UE5 is not a generation head of anything. Red engine looks greats and provides several unique features. Red engine was constantly worked on like every other AAA engine and it gets better non stop.
I think this is important to emphasize. Epic Games are very good at marketing and giving cool names to features that aren't that new or singular to UE (like Lumen or Nanite). Now, I don't want to trash Unreal Engine but it's not like other engines are lagging behind in any way. id's very own id Tech is anything but lagging behind. Frostbite is also pretty much up-to-date. Capcom's RE Engine, while not implementing stuff like path tracing or dynamic LOD like UE, is just awesome at scaling toward lower-end hardware while still looking good and running well. That's one of the areas where Unreal Engine sucks ass and has sucked ass since UE4.

Look at the lighting solutions implemented in the Gran Turismo engine, that is by no means lagging behind anything Epic are doing. And of course Naughty Dog's and Insomniac's engines (maybe they share some code base?) are also on par with Unreal. And I'd say, from a feature point of view, Red engine is also on par with the current version of Unreal Engine.

What you get when you buy into Epic's solutions is that they (hopefully) have your asset pipeline figured out for you, they will take care to evolve the engine for you and have tools surrounding the engine (UE Editor is the most famous and integral one) ready. They have multiplatform support and build tools ready for you. But shit still breaks, you still have to have a team of programmers trying to fit your "vision" into UE5 and maintain it and "baby sit" the engine from time to time. But if you're a paying customer, you get support from Epic and Epic acts as your "R&D" department that gives you an engine that is fairly up-to-date with the progress in graphics.

That being said, UE5 isn't a solution that fits all needs. For some types of games and some types of projects, it's much less of a pain to just roll out your own shit.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Cyberpunk absolute curpstomps all the stutter shit that UE5 produces visually looking.

Honestly, they should ditch UE5 and stay with the current engine.

Yup

Every games now mentioning they are UE5 kind of triggers me. That fucking engine is plagued with stutters

vietnam GIF

Cyberpunk's RedEngine with overdrive path tracing as of now is the most impressive tech in the market. It performs as you expect it to with a huge range of hardware on PC.

I'm telling you, next Witcher game with UE5 will be a fucking mess

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- UE5 Upgrade severly muddled the development. Lots of things had to be downgraded and cut.
- No one in the team had the experience to work properly on UE5 as it was a new engine.
Made using Unreal Engine 5!!!*

*But nobody here knows how to use it

CamHostage

Yet this game running on UE5 was their big marketing asset before launch.

The guys who make the marketing are not the guys who have to actually do all the work and deal with all of the problems of what's being marketed.

(*Also, this is not an official comment from Hexworks about the struggles of the studio and frustrations with the engine choice. There's bound to be more to the story, positive or negative, even if this is true.)

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I played the game for about 2 hours last night. I didn't run into any technical issues on my end (albeit I don't play multiplayer in any games) but I was really turned off by the animation clipping at the end of attacks, world interaction points (the Gloom statues for example), and the overall movement for the character. These honestly looked and felt like animation blending from a new team who are just getting their feet under themselves (which I guess, they are). Other elements of the game felt very polished (UI, inventory management, control response, etc.), so to see the amount of issues with the animation system was a surprise. It wasn't enough to put me off from the game but I did stop playing and don't think I will go back.

I, personally, found the game to be boring from the gameplay mechanics side of things. I am sure it opens up the longer you play but the 2 hours wasn't enough to keep me engaged until later systems came on line.

howitis3

This happens with every unreal release. Unreal killed silicon knights. They even tried to sue. Every new release it is buggy, doesn't have enough documentation, and devs have to figure it out. The majority of them are likely used to using whatever resolution has been done 100s of times before then in ue4 and now no longer exists. Ue 5 will be fine the second go around.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
  • CiGames and HexWorks got too ambitious and decided to upgrade to UE5 in 2022. This is shown in their marketing campaign with Collector's Edition (Im assuming it's because the game was marketed as a AAA game)
  • No one in the team had the experience to work properly on UE5 as it was a new engine.

lol this is sooo dumb if this is true.

Draugoth

Gold Member
"No one in the team had the experience to work properly on UE5 as it was a new engine."

Just by this line you can tell that the whole 4chan post is bullshit. UE5 is literally the same as UE4. Any competent professional would be able to adapt to it within a week.

Switching Engines isn't like upgrading an OS.

Upgrading Engines mid development is usually extremely risky:

Last edited:
Top Bottom