• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen quality and perf modes: 1440/30 and 1080/60

ManaByte

Gold Member

Can you share the target resolution and frame rate set for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X versions?

Saul Galscon:
On both consoles, we offer performance and quality modes. The performance mode goes at 60 frames per second and 1080p resolution upscaled, which is kind of the standard in the industry. The quality mode is 2K upscaled at 30 FPS. But even if you play at 60, Lords of the Fallen looks really good.

UE5 is a beast.

Bojji

If they use TSR it should look good enough in performance mode, If this is anything else...

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
jw3V86j.jpg

simpatico

Is this somehow a suprise? It's an UE5 game and 1080p looks good with TSR.

Epic Games have previously stated that devs should aim with their UE5 games for 1440p 30fps TSR and 1080p 60fps TSR on PS5/XSX.
Not surprising, but I don't think we should be excited or happy about it. Am I wrong in thinking that most people expected higher perf earlier in the gen? 1080p/60 was kinda the claim to fame for PS4Pro and Xbox1X

Bojji

I think that TSR is the default TAA for all UE5 games, then it's up to the developer to add other image upscaling techniques like FSR, DLSS and XeSS.

Yeah but with reconstruction it's more expensive than just upscaling from base 1080p. TSR is better than FSR2 so it would not look bad.

i wonder if the ps5pro can run this at native 4k60fps next year

Console would have to be 4x more powerful. We will most likely get 2x upgrade (much more with RT).

Not surprising, but I don't think we should be excited or happy about it. Am I wrong in thinking that most people expected higher perf earlier in the gen? 1080p/60 was kinda the claim to fame for PS4Pro and Xbox1X

I guess that UE5 is still very much work in progress and with each major revision we can expect more optimization methods to become available to devs. Just look at what the principal graphics programmer at Epic Games (author of TSR) said here.

What we can do specifically on PS5 and XSX is that conveniently most of their AMD GPU is public ( https://www.amd.com/system/files/TechDocs/rdna2-shader-instruction-set-architecture.pdf 1 ) , so we can go really deep into hardware details and imagine and experiments crazy ideas. And this is what TSR did in 5.1, it exploit performance characterists of RDNA's 16bit instructions heavily which can have huge performance benefits. In UE5/Main for 5.3, added shader permutation ( https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/c83036de30e8ffb03abe9f9040fed899ecc94422 2 ) to finaly tap on these instructions exposed in standard HLSL in Shader model 6.2 ( 16 Bit Scalar Types · microsoft/DirectXShaderCompiler Wiki · GitHub 3 ) and for instance on an AMD 5700 XT, the performance savings in TSR are identical to how much these consoles are optimised too;

Original thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/tsr-feedback-thread/883977/16

More interesting tidbits:

image.png

Last edited:

Fbh

As long as it's real 1080p and not 720 upscaled with FSR or something like thst I'm fine with this.

Still think the graphics upgrade this gen isn't worth it though

ProtoByte

Yeah, so I think people here should buckle-up because it's going to be a wild ride with this first wave of UE5 games. We've already seen the first taste just recently with Remnant 2 and I expect other AA devs to follow suit.
Remant 2 doesn't even look good, graphically.

All this is telling me is that Epic jumped for (theoretical) rendering power first and optimization a distant second.

Whitecrow

Banned
UE5 is a 'next-gen' engine. With lumen and nanite, we are already seeing big improvements in graphical fidelity.

Standard rasterization techniques reached a high diminishing returns point where you could not do much more than increasing geometry and textures.

UE5 brings a lot of features for better realism and world building, and is making dev's life a lot easier, and we can have great games without waiting 4 or 5 years with inhouse engines that try to do things that UE solved ages ago.
And for that, consoles good for 'standard' techniques, will struggle with more costly techniques. Wow. Shocked.

Last edited:

Luipadre

That 1080p is probably upscaled from an even lower resolution. Probably with shit fsr. God where is the ps5 pro

squarealex

UE5 is a beast.

As expected...

Remember the benchmark of UE5 on PS5, all target 1440p / 30fps... (without big interaction)
People were impressed and believed is 4k. But when DF count pixel it became the ugliest game ever now...

Joke outside... we all prepared by this since 2020

Last edited:

Reallink

As long as it's real 1080p and not 720 upscaled with FSR or something like thst I'm fine with this.

Still think the graphics upgrade this gen isn't worth it though

It's going to be "1080p" upscaled from lower than 720p, this is more advanced than Remnant 2 as it uses Nanite and Lumenl. A 4090 will probably struggle with native 1440p, UE5 is going to be a resource hog.

Last edited:

nashman

This is why we are getting PS5Pro. Sony doesnt want the tital wave of UE5 games coming running at 1080p(or lower) till 2027. PC will take a chunk of their market. They even said the same thing when releasing the PS4 pro

"There's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had," House told the publication. "We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]."

But Im sure well get plenty of dumb dumbs, mad at giving consumers more choice, thats completly optional and doesnt effect the base PS5 whatsoever, coming into this thread to say

tHE oNlY ReaSon Ps4pRo eXistEd wAs To SelL 4k tVs

WE HAvnt ScraTcheD THer SuRfaCe oF whAt tHe BasE PS5 Can DO

wE HavnT hAd ANy TruE NeXTgEn GamEs YeT GuyS So HoW DarE TheY

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is why we are getting PS5Pro. Sony doesnt want the tital wave of UE5 games coming running at 1080p(or lower) till 2027. PC will take a chunk of their market. They even said the same thing when releasing the PS4 pro

"There's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had," House told the publication. "We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]."

But Im sure well get plenty of dumb dumbs, mad at giving consumers more choice, thats completly optional and doesnt effect the base PS5 whatsoever, coming into this thread to say

tHE oNlY ReaSon Ps4pRo eXistEd wAs To SelL 4k tVs

WE HAvnt ScraTcheD THer SuRfaCe oF whAt tHe BasE PS5 Can DO

wE HavnT hAd ANy TruE NeXTgEn GamEs YeT GuyS So HoW DarE TheY
The Office Thank You GIF
The Office Thank You GIF
The Office Thank You GIF

Top Bottom