• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles County Swat team officer shoots and kills innocent man

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because they didn't have enough reading comprehension to see that the man was IDD and instead pinned it all on substance use.

The flash bangs have no affect + the falling asleep in yard is why I mentioned the substance.

The falling asleep in the yard can be explained by the IDD, dude couldn't find his house and just fell asleep.

The guy must be a heavy sleeper too.

bman94

Unarmed man runs confusedly towards an armored vehicle with a mounted gun manned by trained law enforcement officials kitted out with defensive attire and, presumably, both lethal and non-lethal submission methods.

...They jump fire an assault rifle at him.

What could he have seriously done?
What did they think the worst case scenario here was?
They could have just sat in the vehicle and rolled the windows up while he, what, ripped it apart with his bare hands?

How could they reasonably have even thought they were in any real danger?

Exactly. Like this shouldn't have happened. They must have thought dude was carrying a rocket launcher in his pants and could have blew them up from across the lawn.

Nope. Just sayin' it's not like they went there hunting the dude down with no questions asked. There were a few lines of non-lethal methods in place before that happened. Not saying it makes it better.

Getting sick of all the fucking hate though for police.

First they use weapons designed to cause confusion and distress on him. Then when he acts confused and distressed they use that as an excuse to kill him. Hate seems justified.

NastyBook

Nope. Just sayin' it's not like they went there hunting the dude down with no questions asked. There were a few lines of non-lethal methods in place before that happened. Not saying it makes it better.

Keep fucking crying about it.

Police shot a caretaker for a mentally ill patient in his leg while he lying down on the ground COMPLYING with their orders, double cuffed him, then let him bleed w/o medical treatment for over half an hour. Did you cry in the thread about that, too?

Ultryx

Are we more feared than spiders at this point?

Fuck rip. You can't have peace when this shit is happening hourly.

Must be nice to be alive to feel baseless emotions. How about be sick that police have shitty training, and are cowards afraid of anything brown.

Or innocent victims getting shot during their garbage ass training. Pathetic the whole fucking lot and the silent good cops that are afraid of police as well.

Fuck them. If you're sick of it, do something about it. Demand change in police training so they don't keep upsetting people when they execute innocent people every day and face no significant penalties.

Must be so hard on you.

I do want changes in police training. Needs to be far more rigorous and focused on de-escalating situations before using any other control method. Police not facing penalties for these things is the biggest fucking joke in this country too, but you're all just shitting on me because I also support police.

Yeah and most people are getting fucking sick of all the innocent people getting murdered but hey, people hating on cops is the bigger issue I suppose....

First they use weapons designed to cause confusion and distress on him. Then when he acts confused and distressed they use that as an excuse to kill him. Hate seems justified.

What did you expect them to use? They were searching for a criminal that got into a shoot out with police.

Keep fucking crying about it.

Police shot a caretaker for a mentally ill patient in his leg while he lying down on the ground COMPLYING with their orders, double cuffed him, then let him bleed w/o medical treatment for over half an hour. Did you cry in the thread about that, too?

All assuming I'm not for police reform and also assuming I don't give a shit about minorities lives. You people are hilarious. Can't be both sides right? One or the other.

Edit: NastyBook what happened in that situation is awful and that officer should definitely be fired.

Uhyve

Non-lethal methods to do what exactly? He was already incapacitated. Did they need him to stand up so they could yell at him to get into the position he was already in?

Yeah man, this damned war on cops, all these people saying mean things, poor fellas must have hurt feelings.

BriGuy

Unless he was the super villain Rhino, I don't see the threat behind him charging an armored vehicle. But this is the LAPD. Excessive force is practically their mantra.

All assuming I'm not for police reform and also assuming I don't give a shit about minorities lives. You people are hilarious. Can't be both sides right? One or the other.

Edit: Particularly also a fuck you to NastyBook. What happened in that situation is awful and that officer should definitely be fired.

So you think the police are shit too, but don't think the hate is justified? I don't get your logic.

Ultryx

So you think the police are shit too, but don't think the hate is justified? I don't get your logic.

I never said the hate wasn't justified. Only that I was tired hearing about all the police hate, all the black lives matters hate, just fucking hate in general people. It's sickening and divisive.

The disgust felt by black people around this country is completely legitimate. And no I don't think all police are shit either.

Edit: And obviously putting it into the media is the best way of spreading the message. It just sucks seeing negative after negative headline -- again and again.

D i Z

You fucking kidding me? Cause dude charged at you, you fucking fired at him? Was tackling or restraining him outta the question?

Edit: Really want to know the description of the car jacker and if they even match up AT ALL.

What? Is being black in Compton not enough?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"the figure in the man’s front yard resembled the carjacking suspect: a black man between the ages of 20 and 30 wearing dark pants or shorts and a basketball jersey"

odIep1r.gif

I do What did you expect them to use? They were searching for a criminal that got into a shoot out with police..

So because this guy just happened to be within the vicinity of where the carjacker went he deserves to die? When he was unarmed? Against a vehicle, armored no less, full of jacked up dudes waiting to squeeze that trigger?

Ultryx

So because this guy just happened to be within the vicinity of where the carjacker went he deserves to die? When he was unarmed? Against a vehicle, armored no less, full of jacked up dudes waiting to squeeze that trigger?

Didn't say that, but keep molding my story. No fucking place did I say that guy deserved to die at all.

commedieu

Banned
I do want changes in police training. Needs to be far more rigorous and focused on de-escalating situations before using any other control method. Police not facing penalties for these things is the biggest fucking joke in this country too, but you're all just shitting on me because I also support police.

What did you expect them to use? They were searching for a criminal that got into a shoot out with police.

Edit: Particularly also a fuck you to NastyBook. What happened in that situation is awful and that officer should definitely be fired.

There is 0 reason to support the current police just because they are police. They need to earn support. The good ones being silent multiplied by these hourly executions create a sea of hate. You being sick of shit sends the absolute wrong message in a thread where they've executed someone, yet again. And it comes off as you saying you're sick of the criticism of police. The criticism of police by everyone is 100% justified. You don't have to be black to be critical. Yes I'm upset that bad things happen too? Who isn't sick of the current state of things worldwide? That isn't at all what the context of your original post illustrated, as you gave excuses as to why team america executed a guy from the batmobile, then lied about him being a suspect.

Check your shit next time before running to the defense of bullshit trained killers/liars.

There is no room in my soul for feeling bad about the guff police get. They are all willingly part of a broken system. They make a choice to be part of it. They make a choice to stay silent. Fuck them.

If they didn't execute people all the fucking time and lie about it, we wouldn't be here. It's not just something to gloss over. Good cops are great, but the system forces me to avoid them at all costs because of the daily executions. The system is poisoned.

Itt they lied about him being a suspect. To a rational person, that means you can no longer trust anything they are saying. Not just "oh I'm sure they just lied about him being a suspect and the rest is 100% true." Pathetic as hell to even attempt to absolve them of responsibility. They executed someone. Again. And lied about it. Again.

Didn't say that, but keep molding my story. No fucking place did I say that guy deserved to die at all.

So then what exactly are you arguing for? Your last post to me was saying "well what else where they supposed to use?" You were justifying them killing an unarmed man....just because they were searching for someone else.

Why do police keep saying "reaching for his waistband" even after it's known that he was unarmed? Either that is a thing that people who don't have guns also do and it shouldn't be considered a blanket reason to shoot, or he didn't actually do that and it's just a boilerplate excuse for killing someone.

I never said the hate wasn't justified. Only that I was tired hearing about all the police hate, all the black lives matters hate, just fucking hate in general people. It's sickening and divisive.

The disgust felt by black people around this country is completely legitimate. And no I don't think all police are shit either.

Edit: And obviously putting it into the media is the best way of spreading the message. It just sucks seeing negative after negative headline -- again and again.

So you disagree with innocent people being murdered by law enforcement, you'd just really rather not have to hear about it, because you're tired of the negativity towards cops.

finowns

Fuckers said he was an accomplice for 2 weeks.

You can argue about the actual killing, but this is so clear. It shows at the very least top down abuse implicating the entire organization. Did they look two weeks for anything that might sully this guys reputation? You can't just make stuff up. One suspect can't turn into two.

You can argue about the actual killing, but this is so clear. It shows at the very least top down abuse implicating the entire organization. Did they look two weeks for anything that might sully this guys reputation? You can't just make stuff up. One suspect can't turn into two.

Yeah it sounds like they were trying to find a record of some sort of criminal activity but, when the search came back with nothing because the guy had a completely clean record they had no choice but to say oops our bad he was not a second suspect an officer in our department mistakenly killed an innocent man.

just another Thursday for black people in America

also:
As he ran along Slater Street, the carjacker threatened two people on a front porch, according to the Times. He then entered the house, threw his gun under a couch, took his clothes off and climbed into a bed where an elderly woman — a complete stranger — was sleeping.
lolwut?

Ultryx

Fuckers said he was an accomplice for 2 weeks.

Yeah it sounds like they were trying to find a record of some sort of criminal activity but, when the search came back with nothing because the guy had a completely clean record they had no choice but to say oops our bad he was not a second suspect an officer in our department mistakenly killed an innocent man.

I re-read the article twice and didn't see anywhere that they mention he was an accomplice twice. Just curious where you got that information. If that's true, fuck that. In that case they were looking for any black mark in his history and that's fucked. This would be the instance where I rally for jail time, at minimum blacklisted from being involved in any LE for their lives.

I re-read the article twice and didn't see anywhere that they mention he was an accomplice twice. Just curious where you got that information. If that's true, fuck that. In that case they were looking for any black mark in his history and that's fucked. This would be the instance where I rally for jail time, at minimum blacklisted from being involved in any LE for their lives.

Semantics aside, here is what they're referring to

And when he allegedly ran toward them, a deputy atop the armored vehicle opened fire with an assault rifle, striking Thompson twice in the torso.

Thompson died. At almost the same instant, the real carjacker was arrested.

That was July 28. For almost two weeks, the Sheriff’s Department insisted that Thompson was a second suspect in the carjacking.

dreams

Boo fucking hoo that you're "sick of seeing negativity" everywhere. Meanwhile, black/brown people ARE LITERALLY FEARING FOR THEIR LIVES over this shit. Wtf get a grip on reality.

Ultryx

Semantics aside, here is what they're referring to

Thanks. I read that twice over and missed it both times. This really changes how I feel about the situation. Lying about the entire encounter like that for a period of two weeks is just unacceptable. I owe an apology (I'm sorry) to those who got worked up at me. I read that a couple times and did not see that until I saw someone's comment.

Boo fucking hoo that you're "sick of seeing negativity" everywhere. Meanwhile, black/brown people ARE LITERALLY FEARING FOR THEIR LIVES over this shit. Wtf get a grip on reality.

I want a better world. Not that I want this news to be hidden. Thanks for your comment though. It was helpful. As noted in my above message (if you read it) I missed out on some critical information.

Garlador

Is there an Onion article of "Police Officer is shocked to discover they have other options other than lethal force in response to unarmed civilians and suspects"?

I feel like that one should exist for some reason.

Thompson did not respond to commands to show his hands, to stand up or to put his hands behind his head, sheriff’s officials said. SWAT deputies arrived and repeated the commands, but Thompson remained motionless, lying on his side with his left hand underneath his head and his right hand under his midsection, Katz and Corina said.

Even when the SWAT deputies set off “flash-bang” explosives, Thompson was unresponsive. Only when he was hit with foam bullets did he rouse himself, pushing himself onto his feet and “bolting” toward an armored vehicle, Corina said.

I need to see video of this to believe it. For this and to justify the claims that he ran toward them - because lying about that shit is a common tactic.

Without unedited body camera/dashcam footage its hard to take any claims at face value. Especially after they had no problem, telling people that he was an additional suspect for a good two weeks when they already arrested the real guy on the same night.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
also if he's so out of it that he doesn't react to a flashbang, JUST GO UP AND CUFF HIM, FUCK

Not going to sugar coat it. Fuck anyone in this thread that is defending the Swat team's actions here. No excuse. The Swat Team is covered from head to toe in armor and they have all the tools they need to murder a entire neighborhood of gang members. There is no reason to react this way to one man who isn't even assaulting them.

I feel so sorry for him and his family. No bullshit "not really sorry" apology from the team will bring him back.

vern

Cops need to understand that their lives aren't worth any more than any other human beings. They also need to be reminded that their job is dangerous and that they volunteered for it, if they don't want to risk their lives to protect the community but instead wanna shoot anyone (black) that matches a description then they should quit. Possibly the biggest group of pussies on earth, American cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom