• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost audio recording of J.R.R. Tolkien giving a speech at a "Hobbit Dinner" found

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/noble-smith/jrr-tolkien-reveals-the-t_b_5373529.html

Over 20 years ago, a lost recording of J.R.R. Tolkien was discovered in a basement in Rotterdam, but the man who found it kept this important reel-to-reel tape hidden away. Until recently, only he had heard the recording. But now, I am one of those lucky Middle-earth lovers who has listened to this magical magnetic tape, and I happily declare that it is awesome. For it proves once and for all that Professor Tolkien was, in fact, very much the hobbit that we all suspected him to be. What's more, we get to hear Tolkien reading a lost poem in the Elven tongue which he translates into English. And to top it off, he states in unambiguous terms (cue Rohirrim war trumpets) the real meaning of The Lord of the Rings!

Got chills yet Tolkien fans? Just wait until you hear it yourself.

The recording took place on March 28th, 1958 in Rotterdam at a "Hobbit Dinner" put on by Tolkien's Dutch publisher and a bookseller. Tolkien's own publisher, Allen and Unwin, paid for his trip to the Netherlands to attend this special party. According to his letters the author was chuffed to find that Rotterdam was filled with people "intoxicated with hobbits." Tolkien showed up at a packed hall where 200 hobbit fanatics had come to hear him and other scholars talk about Middle-earth....

"Like Smaug I am guarding my treasure, hissing at any collector who comes near," he recently stated in response to my email query. Fortunately, a Middle-earth maven named Jay Johnstone, one of the founders of the fantasy/sci-fi site Legendarium.me, sleuthed that van Rossenberg had the recording in his possession, and persuaded him to open his dragon hoard. "I am looking forward to sharing with all Tolkien aficionados the great joy I felt when I first played the tape and heard Tolkien give his great speech," added van Rossenberg.

Legendarium and the Tolkien site MiddleEarthNetwork.com have partnered with van Rossenberg to raise both awareness and funds in order to remaster the original reel-to-reel tape, chronicle the event, and make it available to the world this fall via the Rotterdam Project. "Anything new from Tolkien is always exciting," said Tom Shippey, author of J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century, "but the Rotterdam Project is especially so. A speech from Tolkien, in the first years of his success with Lord of the Rings, when he was among friends, enjoying himself, and able to speak freely!"...

Tolkien thanked the assembled "hobbits" for giving him the greatest party of his life. He spoke very modestly about The Lord of the Rings calling it "A poor thing, but my own." He couldn't believe that the people there would want to hear an after-dinner autobiography. So he jumped right into explaining the construction of his great narrative work, stating that the One Ring is a mere mechanism that "sets the clock ticking fast." And then he quite plainly spells out what the books are about--something he only alluded to once in a letter, but is incontrovertible in this speech. (If you want to know exactly what he says you'll just have to listen for yourself!)

That's only a small part of the blog, but it's a fun read for all Tolkien fans. Definitely hoping they are able to raise the funds to get the recording fully mastered for a release.

o-TOLKIEN-570.jpg

I shall diminish and go into the west if old

I hate people like the person who originally found the audio. Stuff like this should never be kept secret.

Agreed it's a terrible thing to hoard something many would love to hear for themselves. However....better late than never, and it's sort of like a time capsule being opened and I'm happy the blogger danced around the recording rather than spoiling the fun for those who will want to hear the speech.

Yeah, what benefit does he get from sitting on it for 60+ years outside of saying "I own this and you don't"

There is a certain allure to having something you know no one else can ever have. The power of the tape was too strong, it was.........his precious.:p

Too awesome for words.

And damn he sounds so much nicer than his children.
Thought the same. Everything I hear of his son is he's a dick, but in all honesty, I don't know the guy and maybe he's just super protective of his dads intellectual property.

adj_noun

Tolkien thanked the assembled "hobbits" for giving him the greatest party of his life

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

I'd read about this event and how he greeted the crowd in Dutch. Being Dutch myself, I was always curious how that'd sound (Tolkien having been born in South Africa and being such a language aficionado makes me think he'd sound pretty good). Maybe I'll actually find out in the near future, who'd have thunk it.

Whether or not his greeting made it onto the recording, it's a great privilige to hear Tolkien himself speak on his works. That torrent of the J.R.R. Tolkien Reads and Sings his Lord of the Rings LP I stumbled upon a few years ago was a great find indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom