• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey to steal TGS and save the 360 in Japan?

JoJo13

Banned
Google said:
#1 what?

#1 console for good games?

#1 console sales wise?

Why must something sell the most to be considered the best?
Maybe because the large library of games it has to offer gamers of all types, PS2.

Google

ElectricBlue187 said:
because that's how history will remember it, PS2 wins this generation, for example

Ok, a completely different example, but are Mercedes not considered one of the best car makers?

They dont sell as many as Ford.

JoJo13

Banned
Google said:
Ok, a completely different example, but are Mercedes not considered one of the best car makers?

Are you trying to relate this to the Xbox vs PS2 vs GC now, tech wise? :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
TheTrin said:
You have to be in Japan to truly understand how dead in the water the 360 truly is. I brought my Famitsu to work today to show some of my students Lost Odyssey.

Here's how it went:

Student: Wow, this looks really beautiful. The interface is very much like FF.
Me: Yea. The creator of FF is working on it!
Student: Wow! This looks promising.
Me: It's on Xbox 360!
Student: It is? That's too bad. I guess I won't play it then.
:lol

ElectricBlue187 said:
because that's how history will remember it, PS2 wins this generation, for example

honestly, I really don't give a **** about that. I had RE4 and FF:CC on cube and had a good time playing games. i would be hard pressed to even guess how much they sold.

really the only problem with these mistwalker games is that when they flop MS won't go out and finance the creation of AAA new jrpg IPs. And then those of us who enjoy the games lose.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TheTrin said:
You have to be in Japan to truly understand how dead in the water the 360 truly is. I brought my Famitsu to work today to show some of my students Lost Odyssey.

Here's how it went:

Damn that's **** up. :lol

Google said:

you're comparison doesnt work because Mercedes sells enough cars to stay competitive and maintain it's luxury image, Gamecube didn't do that. It didn't sell enough, and garnered a negative image in the process.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mckmas8808 said:
Damn that's **** up. :lol

I really don't blame them. A single game doesn't justify buying a system rife with(to them) first person shooters and half baked japacrap.

That's not a troll, btw. I enjoy the odd game that's released for the 360 here. I just don't think it IS worth it to buy for many japanese gamers.

Google

ElectricBlue187 said:
you're comparison doesnt work because Mercedes sells enough cars to stay competitive and maintain it's luxury image, Gamecube didn't do that. It didn't sell enough, and garnered a negative image in the process.

**** that.

Gamecube sold enough to allow Nintendo to design the Wii, and im sure they arent too hard pushed for money these days.

Regardless of quantity of sales, the Gamecube had some very good games. My point was, simply because the Gamecube didnt sell many units, that doesnt mean that the games on that system are not eligible to be GOTY (etc).

In the exact same way that LO has the ability to be the greatest game in the world, regardless of the system its released on!

3rdman

TheTrin said:

Here's how it went:

Wow...They're stupid. And I guess I should respond as others by laughing about it. so...

JoJo13

Banned
Google said:
**** that.

Gamecube sold enough to allow Nintendo to design the Wii, and im sure they arent too hard pushed for money these days.

Regardless of quantity of sales, the Gamecube had some very good games. My point was, simply because the Gamecube didnt sell many units, that doesnt mean that the games on that system are not eligible to be GOTY (etc).

In the exact same way that LO has the ability to be the greatest game in the world, regardless of the system its released on!
WOW, that sounded like a DC and Shenmu 2 rant. :lol

Ugh. Who cares. All us coolies will be playing it by the end of the year. And no developers are going to stop developing for the 360 no matter how shitty the system does in Japan.

This thread proves it. As opposed to talking about Inoue hotness or anything about how awesome this game is going to be, we're discussing the semantics of whether or not the Gamecube can be considered a "Great System".

There's no arguing that Lost Odyssey is going to be a phenomenal RPG, not anymore. What else is there to say about it? I mean, obviously nothing considering where the current conversation here is headed. I'm going back to my Mii thread.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
3rdman said:
Wow...They're stupid. And I guess I should respond as others by laughing about it. so...

Would you buy a primarily unappealing console for one game?

hyp

i think if this has any effect on sales, it will probably be in north america and europe where the 360 will be starved of JRPGs. if this proves to be any good, it might be a system seller for those regions. japan, hell no. they'll be too busy playing with their wii.

I think the real question is how does MS get Lost Odyssey to sell in the US?

They need to steal some JRPG gamers from the Sony camp to expand their fanbase.

Google said:
**** that.

I agree with your point but I'm playing the devil's advocate. There aren't many publications that are going to declare a game GOTY if it didn't sell well, it happens like with Deus Ex, but only with those who are honest with their readers and aren't just going for publicitity

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I think the real question is how does MS get Lost Odyssey to sell in the US?

They need to steal some JRPG gamers from the Sony camp to expand their fanbase.

Lost Odyssey is going to sell in the US, precisely because of the scenario you describe. I think US gamers, GAF notwithstanding, aren't as system biased as Japan.

thetrin

BenjaminBirdie said:
PSP: Wipeout Pure
PS1: Wipeout
PS2: SSX

The Answer Is Yes.

So you bought a PS2 just for SSX, and assumed you would never play a good game on the system after that? That seems largely like a waste of money to me.

PhatSaqs

Banned
TheTrin said:
I think most people do buy consoles initially for one game. It's mainly the hardcore that say crap like "a console has to have 3 must have games before I buy it".

Google said:
Wow, that was a great troll!

Actually its not at all, Shenmue was suppose to do something similar for the DC in Japan. There's always a game picked out for a system not doign well in a country that's somehow suppose to make it sell.

Ceb

qcf x2 said:
If the game is quality, it'll sell over a million worldwide. And that would be enough to encourage other JRPG developers to put major projects on the 360.

Maybe if MS is willing to fund more major RPG projects.

Aryuken

Banned
TheTrin said:

1 game? What about the Tri Ace RPG or Blue Dragon, don't they love dynasty warriors over there? What about hey what about Trusty bell or Ridge Racer 6, or hey Cry on who knows.

The thing is, like a japanese dev said once, japanese will buy the console with FF and DQ on it.

What are the million sellers in japan? FF - DQ, Mgs3 might do 1 or something, then what?

But it doesn't matter, i don't care, i just want me to play it, i want it to succeed, if it bombs in japan, well who gives a flying **** as long as it succeeds outside of japan.

thetrin

PhatSaqs said:
I think most people do buy consoles initially for one game. It's mainly the hardcore that say crap like "a console has to have 3 must have games before I buy it".

I think you have it the other way around. Casual gamers aren't going to drop $299 (or in this case, $399) on a console they will only play one game on. To do that would be marginally more retarded than not playing the game because it's on Xbox 360.

Aryuken said:
1 game? What about the Tri Ace RPG or Blue Dragon, don't they love dynasty warriors over there? What about hey what about Trusty bell or Ridge Racer 6, or hey Cry on who knows.

The thing is, like a japanese dev said once, japanese will buy the console with FF and DQ on it.

What are the million sellers in japan? FF - DQ, Mgs3 might do 1 or something, then what?

Metal Gear?! A million seller in Japan? What the **** are you smoking? MG's primary audience is Europe and America.

When I mention Xbox among anyone who isn't a gamer in japan, it's like a big inside joke. I ask why they're laughing, and they say "That's not very popular."

No shit. :\

Google

BenjaminBirdie said:
Have you ever played SSX?

But no one knew how fun SSX was going to be until people actually played it!

I didnt actually think anyone bought the PS2 for SSX, but that SSX was simply a great game available at launch.

Or am I wrong?

(I got Tekken Tag and FIFA 01 with my PS2 at launch)

scarybore

The game will probably make a few more of the hardcore otakus buy a 360 but I think it is fair to say that the mainstream gamer in Japan won't buy a 360 unless it gets a lot more games that appeal to their tastes. They are very inward looking when it comes to games and without a lot more Japanese support catered to them they won't be compelled to buy.

Well, semantically you're wrong because that's why I got the system, but by and large, most people probably didn't. All the impressions at the time basically described as Wipeout On Snowboards with Tricks.

How could I not drop as much as I had to on that?

thetrin

BenjaminBirdie said:
Have you ever played SSX?

Yes, it was one of the first games I bought for the PS2. It was a great launch title, but I wouldn't spend $299 to play it. I bought it to tide me over until real games came out.

PhatSaqs

Banned
TheTrin said:
I think you have it the other way around. Casual gamers aren't going to drop $299 (or in this case, $399) on a console they will only play one game on. To do that would be marginally more retarded than not playing the game because it's on Xbox 360.
I agree that it's illogical but I disagree that it's not what happens. I know way too many casual folk who have consoles and only buy Madden. Any other games they happen to buy are because they played it at a friends house and like it (which is mainly why they bought a console w/Madden).

TheTrin said:

Metal Gear?! A million seller in Japan? What the **** are you smoking? MG's primary audience is Europe and America.

When I mention Xbox among anyone who isn't a gamer in japan, it's like a big inside joke. I ask why they're laughing, and they say "That's not very popular."

No shit. :\

good thing 360 will be around 15000 by the time LO comes out :lol

TheTrin said:
Yes, it was one of the first games I bought for the PS2. It was a great launch title, but I wouldn't spend $299 to play it. I bought it to tide me over until real games came out.

"Real games."

You are definitely a person I want to have a continued, reasoned conversation with.

(I was being sarcastic.)

thetrin

PhatSaqs said:
I agree that it's illogical but I disagree that it's not what happens. I know way too many casual folk who have consoles and only buy Madden. Any other games they happen to buy are because they played it at a friends house and like it (which is mainly why they bought a console for Madden).

Madden gamers and the market that would potentially buy Lost Odyssey is like comparing apples and buicks.

It's not like Lost Odyssey is an insanely popular license that has a huge following already. It's a new IP with excellent pedigree. That pedigree, of course, is totally unknown to anyone but hardcore gamers.

BenjaminBirdie said:
"Real games."

You are definitely a person I want to have a continued, reasoned conversation with.

(I was being sarcastic.)

Easy now. That was just a bad choice of words. I meant to say "the games I bought the system for." I don't buy systems for one game. I buy a system for a string of games.

PhatSaqs

Banned
TheTrin said:
Madden gamers and the market that would potentially buy Lost Odyssey is like comparing apples and buicks.

It's not like Lost Odyssey is an insanely popular license that has a huge following already. It's a new IP with excellent pedigree. That pedigree, of course, is totally unknown to anyone but hardcore gamers.
I'm not speaking about LO i'm speaking about your comment that peeps dont buy consoles for one game. But enough derailing.

If the game is great, AAA and reviews excellently I think it'll sell a notable amount of consoles. It aint gonna save it tho.

TheTrin said:

to put it into context, i think it's all but garunteed that there will be a HUGE advert and media blitz that makes a point of saying "From the creator of Final Fantasy"

thetrin

PhatSaqs said:
I'm not speaking about LO i'm speaking about your comment that peeps dont buy consoles for one game. But enough derailing.

If the game is great, AAA and reviews excellently I think it'll sell a notable amount of consoles. It aint gonna save it tho.

Madden is the exception rather than the rule. That attracts people that enjoy watching sports with the chance to play the team. Any other franchise that sells systems tends only to hook people who are already gamers to some extent (FF or DQ in Japan, etc).

So, what you're all basically saying is that there is no game not named FF or DQ will push 360 in Japan, not matter how great it is? Even a combination of LO, BD, Cry On, that Tri-ace thing, etc?

...not that I really give a shit what Japan buys; I'm just looking forward to LO and BD.

thetrin

scissorfight said:
So, what you're all basically saying is that there is no game not named FF or DQ will push 360 in Japan, not matter how great it is? Even a combination of LO, BD, Cry On, that Tri-ace thing, etc?

...not that I really give a shit what Japan buys; I'm just looking forward to LO and BD.

I'm glad someone is catching on. Welcome to Japan. Population: DS owners.

Nameless

Microsoft shouldn't even worry about the Japanese, this isn't 1993. Japan isn't needed to have an ubersuccessful console, as the original Xbox proved.

OverHeat

« generous god »
TheTrin said:

Here's how it went:

That student....deserve a kick in the balls
kick_in_the_balls_2005-04-13.jpg

Nameless said:
Microsoft shouldn't even worry about the Japanese, this isn't 1993. Japan isn't needed to have an ubersuccessful console, as the original Xbox proved.

to be fair, if MS didnt have the tri-ace and mistwalker titles coming, i really wouldn't be nearly as interested in the console as i am. i'm sure there are others similar to myself

Sysgen

The best way to look at this is that if in fact these games are mega great then it's North America's and Europes win. I couldn't care less what happens in the far east. I hope MS tries even harder though, our bounty only gets richer.

Mau ®

Is LO a non-game? No.

Is it a established RPG brand? No

Is it on PS2 or DS? No

All signs point to NO!

It'll be well recieved and will probably be the best selling 360 title in Japan, however that doesn't account for much.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nameless said:
you are crazy

japan is essential if you want to be successful.

not because of the userbase you could get there but because of the software support that you get if you are successful. look at the japanese support the PS3 is getting, MGS4, DMC4 and FF13 are sure fire blockbuster titles that 360 will not have. seriously saying japan is not important is pretty retarded.

and if the original Xbox 'success' is what MS is aiming for... well then they are ****ed.

Nameless

meltpotato said:
to be fair, if MS didnt have the tri-ace and mistwalker titles coming, i really wouldn't be nearly as interested in the console as i am. i'm sure there are others similar to myself

I really think that has less to do with 360 in Japan, and more to do with Japan being the 3rd largest gaming territory. Japanese developers found out last generation that they no longer have to base their support to a console based on how its doing in Japan.

Top Bottom