• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

A.R.K

Erasus said:
DF comparision:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox360-vs-ps3-round-26-face-off?page=2

That said with all the motion blur I was not bothered by fps drops. Those might be worse in co-op though.

The games looks amazing, about the only thing that made me play through it once was the visuals.

thanks for the feedback guys...I think I'll pick it up for $10 or cheaper for some father son co-op game play :)

One more is it too violent for a 9 yrs? As long as its all aliens and monsters and no blood oozing everywhere, I am fine with my son playing it. What do you guys think?

Daigoro

started replaying this again today and got my Honeymoon Period achievement as soon as i turned it on. forgot about that!

i also noticed that though i had completed the game, i still didnt get the achievement for beating it on Normal. forgot about that hidden passage in 1-2. i never wouldve found that without a youtube video.

took me a few minutes to get used to the weird controls again, but it got better a few chapters in.

im using Wesker at the moment, but will probably create a character soon when i get bored of him. its funny watching Wesker do all these strange emotes though.

the game is so odd, but really interesting and has lots to offer. many of the mechs are so damn cool. i love the pic from the header in the OP. same one that displays on the xbox dash when the disc is in the drive. definitly gets me excited to start playing.

i beat Normal, next up im going to finish up my Easy run and then start on Hard.

A.R.K said:
thanks for the feedback guys...I think I'll pick it up for $10 or cheaper for some father son co-op game play :)

One more is it too violent for a 9 yrs? As long as its all aliens and monsters and no blood oozing everywhere, I am fine with my son playing it. What do you guys think?

no real blood or violence at all from what i remember. it should be fine.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I already Have MH:Tri would like a nice team based co-op game which in gafs opinion is better?

I kinda never gave MH:Tri a fair go so is it worth jsut going for it or getting LP2?

many thanks

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the co-op. Pretty intense on hard. Wish Capcom but in some DLC episodes.

ussjme

just started playing this in co op with a friend of ps3. at first the controls were mad awkward, i played the original yrs ago but it still took awhile to get adjusted. I think i used the b1 control scheme. after the adjustment period the controls felt pretty natural and good
, i was surprised that they worked so well.

as for the game itself....wow, this game is pure co op bliss. I could see how this would be a blast with 4 friends, judging from the train level alone. my friend and i are having a blast. if youre looking for a great, cheap co op game i suggest you give this game a try, loving it so far.

Rolf NB

Done and done.

Decent mechanics. At least after the patch, I think it was different in the demo (deadzones lol). Weapons feel good. Detaching/reattaching/swapping out VS weapons is kinda cool. Especially in missions where you realize that is key to winning (or at least not dying). Using the VS weapons on foot does feel clunky (no movement while firing, terrible reload times), but I guess it's for balancing. The mechs are fun. Bonus points for making turrets are regular game mechanic you can use or leave, and not a forced "change of pace"-style thing. Underwater and zero-g areas with weird jumping mechanics were fun to do.

Sub-par campaign. Almost a comedy. They have the land carrier from Haze. Okay, it's definitely not a comedy. But keep thinking that if it helps.
Laughable AIs all around. Soldiers just standing in one spot, firing, but not moving, soliciting punishment. And they are glitched too. I had enemy soldiers standing only a few feet behind my back, gun pointed towards me, and nothing happend. I just didn't trigger their routine somehow.
I fought several (optional?) major enemies alone because my entire AI squad had already charged forward to the end of the level. Speaking of which, they aren't really good for much, are they? They do hold their own in the first few levels against Akrid, but something about soldier-type enemies just makes them stop working.

This obsession to resemble a western online game as much as possible makes the game more stupid than it has to be. Why do I have to confirm twice and wait 5 seconds before my "offline session" starts? Why does the post-mission briefing have a coutdown? All I'm doing is playing a campaign level in good ole solitude. Main menu should just have "Single player"=>("Resume","New game","Load game") and all the coop stuff tucked away under "Play online".

The game feels like a gauntlet of user made UT'99 assault mode missions. Some are good fun. Others are just busywork. Some maps are just a corridor. Some are five-level 3D labyrinths, too complex for their own good.
There are literal capture-and-hold missions with enemy spawn points in plain sight. They just materialize there, in that opening in the wall.

Many of the maps are easy to break with grapple traversal. You can skip around places the AI (both frienly and enemy) can't seem to deal with properly, either getting stuck or going passive.

Boss fights are kind of bullshit. You can take off limbs, but they grow back before you can exploit your deed and circle around to the maw or whatever. It's regular old bullet sponge design mostly.
Seems to be mostly about luck whether you can avoid a hit or not with some of them. Luck of the draw when it comes to which attacks the boss performs. Luck of not being inside the super-mega area-of-effect attack in other cases (hello, final boss, who is lethal with a single hit).

The trophies are messed up in ways that other developers couldn't even imagine. I finished the game on normal and have 17% trophy completion, all bronze. And to even get there I had to go back into a campaing mission, find a sort of secret level, and finish that too. You don't even get the "beat the game" trophy without doing that, and you get nothing else out of the final mission either.

The amount of shit you'd have to grind out to plat this is amazing. PS3Trophies.org estimates 1200 hours of your life.

Difficulty trophies do not even stack. Meaning if you finish the game plus secret level on hard, you do not get the completion trophies for easy and normal. You only get the bronze trophy for completing hard difficulty.

Bottom line: thanks for the laughs. I will never touch this game again.

jmdajr

this game is nowhere near as bad as they say....

Maybe it's gets way harder later.. I don't know, but so far it rocks.

7.99 new!

FreeMufasa

I bought this after the Lost planet vs dead space 2 thread. I bought LP1 at launch and loved the hell out of it. The most amount of time i've spent on multiplayer outside of Gears of War 1.

I want to do campaign co-op with my lil bro but he won't be here till tommorow so i've only played multiplayer. First of all, the graphics are good, REALLY good. LP1 still looks amazing and I definately wasn't expecting the 2nd to look so much better.

Started playing and I remembered just how confusing it was memorising the controls for the first game. Everything is just so....different from every other game. But I got the hang of it after a while. It feels like LP alright, maybe a bit slower. One thing I didn't like was how it seems a lot more zoomed in than LP1. It's kind of off-putting.

I expected what the multiplayer landscape would be like, entering this late into a not so popular game. Everyone is level 99 and only the most hardcore experts have stuck around so it's tough. Fuck CoD and the crap it's brought to this gen. All these numbers and stats and upgrades. Utterly necessary.

In regards to the campaign, does it still feature the snowy areas from the first game? Everything i've seen of it so far has been tropical forest. That's dissapointing. Also kind of dissapointed it doesn't pick up from the characters of the first game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Outside of the Prologue, no. There's maybe one other area at the end but it's space stations, desert, and jungle.

Kind of a necro but I figured it was this or create my own thread gaming side, I picked the game up on GMG about a year ago and I really enjoyed what I played. The game runs great, there's a good amount of moves that I discovered and makes the game controls great. I also like that you get a shitload amount of rewards just by playing the game like taunts and new weapons.
I think the most disturbing thing about the game is the UI, it feels so out of place like I'm playing an arcade game or an old PS1 game (I dunno why and I may be remembering it wrong but I'm pretty sure the first Armored Core had something like that).

Overall I was really surprised by the quality of the game after hearing people talk about it, missions are varied and the game isn't that easy actually. I think it's one of my favorite coop TPS. It's focused on shooting AND moving whereas nowadays it's more about taking a dump behind cover and waiting for some heads to stick out for potshots.

Anyway, I'm around 30hrs in the game and I stopped when you're playing the Desert Pirates and you're boarding a train with flying bikes or something. I'd like to pick up where I left off but I'm good with starting again too. I really want to finish the game in coop before GFWL hits the dust (I really hope Capcom is going to do a Steamworks transition for the rest of its IPs but well...).
Add me and we'll start playing ! (I'm in Europe by the way)
www.steamcommunity.com/id/RobertJSullivan

Well I just finished the 3 chapters where (episode 6 spoilers)
you're in space
and I can safely say that this is one of the best coop games of last gen. There's just so much shit you can do and so much stuff to do and a great moveset.
I thought LP1 was good but I find LP2 to be much, much better from a gameplay standpoint, I heard the game wasn't very well recieved (I only started playing the LP series last year) ?

Aside from the innacessibility of the game (the horrible UI and the lack of any tutorial for advanced moves for mechs and the grappling hook) I don't see why.
Offer to play the game still stand by the way.

Top Bottom