• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Lost Planet 1

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hooked up my old 360. I know the game is on pc and that's the version I finished many times when it came out...
16 years ago...(17 for x360)

Aging Matt Damon GIF

But I wanted to check it out as it released originally and the way I remember it being advertised.
And with soon to come AC6, I had a feel to play MECH game.
Lost Planet aged terribly though... I just replayed it on xbox 360. The end boss is a nightmare and I almost destroyed my original 360 controller few times... ooof.
The story and characters are worse than I remember. They have few cutscenes but You don't get attached to any of them. Someone appears in a cutscene as an enemy and in the next one he can be your cool bro. And the cutscenes are just boring if that's the worst offense.
The first few chapters are the best though. Mechs and explosions are still incredible. Animations and graphics are still good. The MT framework is some awesome stuff.

But later everything staggers you, the game steps into infuriating nonsense territory. it kinda just gets annoying. not difficult. only anoying.
What a shame. I remembered the game so fondly. Finished it many times as a teen. Should've left it where it was... In my memories. Now I kinda hate it.
It's still way better than Lost Planet 2. That one is fun in coop but nothing more.

BTW, some explosions vids on oled. That part is still somehow unbeaten to this day.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Multiplayer in Lost Planet: Colonies was one of the most fire experiences ever.

I remember I used to wake up at like 6am to squeeze an hour in to play before getting ready for college back in like 2008 and I was in a free for all match with 4 other people all American dudes in their 30s. In this map made for 16 people and we could hardly find each other and it was all open mic and one dude brought up Bob Lazar and that was the first I ever heard of him and they all just talked about that for the rest of the match. lol.

SkylineRKR

I bought this game at launch on 360, and while it was good, I was quickly annoyed by the knockdowns and other cheap mechanics.

I think this is one of the games the demo was better than the final product. Not that the demo was bait and switch, but I couldn't stop playing it and when I had the full game my hype kind of died down gradually. The game just controlled kind of clunky.

The IP had potential though, but we know what happened with Capcom after their initial good start with LP, Dead Rising and DMC4. They went hell bent on co-op and westernizing their games. Lost Planet 2 lost all charm, and LP3 was outsourced to some shitty developer.

Fbh

This is one of those early Xbox 360 games I always think back to because it's the first "next gen" game I actually played.
Haven't played since then though, but I can imagine the gameplay not holding up very well as even back then I remember thinking it was nothing special beyond the visuals.

The visuals still look nice though, I love the look of MT framework games. There's something about the lighting and animations in that engine (particularly in Lost Planet 1 and 2) that I really like
Lost Planet 2 in particular still looks awesome IMO
227159d065aed81ea701d7795f98af936a45b285r1-480-270_hq.gif

tumblr_przohozKR91rnjfb2o1_400.gifv

unlurkified

Multiplayer in Lost Planet: Colonies was one of the most fire experiences ever.

I remember I used to wake up at like 6am to squeeze an hour in to play before getting ready for college back in like 2008 and I was in a free for all match with 4 other people all American dudes in their 30s. In this map made for 16 people and we could hardly find each other and it was all open mic and one dude brought up Bob Lazar and that was the first I ever heard of him and they all just talked about that for the rest of the match. lol.
Game was absolutely phenomenal in early 2007. I remember playing online and getting put in US/Japan mixed lobbies hearing English and Japanese conversations going on at the same time. So much fun.

Kerotan

I streamed this through ps premium earlier this year. Graphics obviously shit but you can tell it was a looker. Great fun though and LP2 with co op is so fun.

Disappointed to hear LP3 doesn't have co op but I'll play it in a few months.

One of the best games on the 360. I still remember how awesome it was how you were able to watch E3 for the 1st time streamed to the console and then straight after the show, Capcom said you could download the 360 demo. Simply amazing times, really enjoyed the sequel but LP 3 was a bit lame.

It be nice if Capcom looked to go back to the series, its been a long enough break.

mortal

Gold Member
The setting was cool. The grappling mechanic in this game was fun to use and made navigating the map a lot more interesting.

simpatico

This is one of those early Xbox 360 games I always think back to because it's the first "next gen" game I actually played.
Haven't played since then though, but I can imagine the gameplay not holding up very well as even back then I remember thinking it was nothing special beyond the visuals.

The visuals still look nice though, I love the look of MT framework games. There's something about the lighting and animations in that engine (particularly in Lost Planet 1 and 2) that I really like
Lost Planet 2 in particular still looks awesome IMO
227159d065aed81ea701d7795f98af936a45b285r1-480-270_hq.gif

tumblr_przohozKR91rnjfb2o1_400.gifv
gifs like these prove we're still in the 360 gen

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The explosions slightly off screen, were so good.
Being able to carry mech weapons.
Stealing weapons from abandoned mechs to fit to yours.
Fitting empty mech weapons to a mech then running away just to fuck with the opposition.
Mechs in general.
Lukas 🍈.

I was in the beta of that game and it was so good.
I hope Capcom while in the god mode phase can reboot that franchise.

And yes, the stagger was an absolute nightmare, and its funny cuz people complained about it in the Beta and it seems the only thing they changed from Beta to Retail was the sound of the Mech minigun.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I still remember my fresh out of the box X360.and giving the LP1 demo a go...shit was jaw-dropping, truly next-gen stuff (Capcom's Dead rising also).

Bought the game, finished it 2-3 times, spent hundreds of hours in the online mode with my buddies and needless to say, it was one of my favourite X360 exclusives back in the day.

Lost planet 2 , while way worse single-player wise, as a co-op game was...very avant garde, it just didn't capture me like LP1 did for some reason.
Booted it on my XSX 'bout 1 year ago since they gave it for free on GWG and I laughed when I saw I had set Dom from GOW as my main character skin 😁
All my saves from 13 years ago were still intact obviously and the lobbies were also full, give it a try if you're on XSX/XSS since the game usually goes on sale for cheap.

LP3 : got it from GWG also, played it for 2 hours and I just dropped it, people say that it's actually good but it just didn't grab me , a far cry from the crazy JPN-ness of the previous 2 titles.

Darn....just checked and I guess I own LP 2 and 3 digitally, but not LP1. Would've been great to make that GwG swan song :(
Edit: I do own a disc copy though

Last edited:

Krieger

LP2 was my most played game back in 2010. I still remember the TDM lobbies with 15 Japanese flags and only mine non-Japanese flag in it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Fun campaign, great mech mechanics, clunky on foot shooting, the best moments were against the big monsters n stuff, but somehow it often leaned too hard on the human vs human shooter aspects. It sucks LP2 sucked so hard campaign wise and leaned even more on the humans and pvp stuff. I mean, weird Japanese PVP shooters can be cool like Metal Gear Online and so were these I suppose if you are into that but not to the detriment of an awesome single player campaign. It wasn't even the cool sci-fi co-op Monster Hunter-like shooter it could have been online, it was just plain weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom