• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your definition of a perfect, timeless video game?

Drizzlehell

Banned
The question was born out of my musings about the original Metal Gear Solid and its remake, The Twin Snakes.

In this example, there's plenty that The Twin Snakes bungled in the process of translating to an updated vision of the game, including soundtrack, cutscenes, and voice acting, but if you ignore that and imagine a reality where Silicon Knights more or less nailed those aspects and made the remake just as amazing as the original, there's a lot that was done to the gameplay that built upon the original experience. But the question is, by adding an expanded move set for Snake and an improved AI and graphics to go along with it, was the game really that much enriched from a purely gameplay perspective?

I would argue that no, it wasn't. It became a different, more sophisticated game but in my opinion there never was a moment when I played the original MGS when I thought to myself "man, I wish I had the ability to drag corpses around or aim down sights, it would make the game so much better." If you ask me (and you didn't), the gameplay of the original was perfectly suited for the type of experience that the game intended to provide, and no matter how many times I play it, it never feels like the mechanics are somehow hindering me or have a negative impact on how I feel about the game. Sure, they may be a bit antiquated by today's standards and The Twin Snakes did improve on a lot of gameplay quirks, but I don't think that any of those new additions or improvements somehow allowed me to enjoy the story or atmosphere more.

There are more examples of this. For instance, the original 1993 Doom is, for all intents and purposes, a primitive-looking game with antiquated controls, graphics, and mechanics, but it doesn't matter because everything about it just fits together so perfectly that it still functions just as well today as it did back in '93. Another example could also be the original Resident Evil 4. Some would say that the shooting is antiquated because you can't strafe or move around while aiming, but the beauty of that mechanic is that it was done deliberately to increase the tension of the combat and allowing the player to move around instead of planting their feet while shooting would kinda ruin that original experience if nothing else was changed about the combat. Therefore, it was exactly what it should have been within the context of that game.

TL;DR - video game achieves perfection and timelessness when its gameplay mechanics are perfectly aligned with the intended experience, and seemingly antiquated mechanics serve to contribute to the game's intended atmosphere and tension rather than making it worse due to its age.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
SOTN

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Late 70's/early 80's arcade games. Designed for pick up and play, plenty of challenge, and didn't require hours of time investment.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Tetris after they added hold.

T4keD0wN

Anything that has no story or is only an "arena game".
Stuff like Dota 2, Counter Strike, Starcraft (MP half), Unreal/Quake.

Pretty much only comptetitive skill based PvP focused games or extremely simple singleplayer games like tetris and pong.

"Normal" games like Witcher 3, Bioshock and Baldurs Gate will be outdone in every single aspect one day, games that are purely about providing an even playing field for 2 humans to compete on to chase a maximum high scores wont age.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Perfection doesn't exist, so I will use it to describe my point of view.

For me to consider a game perfect, it has to master at least 4 of those items:

Art Direction
Soundtrack
Narrative
World Building
Characters
Gameplay

My list will be without order:

• Castlevania Symphony of the Night;
  • Crono Trigger;
  • Super Mario World/Super Mario 64/Super Mario Bros 3;
  • Megaman X;
  • Final Fantasy VI;
  • Metal Gear Solid 2;
  • Silent Hill 2;
  • Skyrim;
  • Resident Evil 2;
  • Tetris; the gameplay loop is legendary, doesn't need anything else.
  • Doom;
  • Uncharted 2;
  • Halo 3;
  • Red Dead Redemption;
  • The Last of Us Part I.

TastyPastry

lots of snes game fall into that category for me: there is nothing i would change about super mario world for example, same with yoshi's island or chrono trigger

Basically Skyrim with today's cutting edge photo real graphics and then add different bioms, desert, jungle, forest, snow, etc. And then focus on 3rd person. And you have to be able to create your own character of course.

OG Doom is one of the few games I can still go back to and get lost in. The sound design with snarling demons and gunplay. The design of descending into hell. That sublime chaotic game loop of blasting things into gory piles of flesh. It's just perfect.

brian0057

Banned
Stealth gaming still lives under the shadow of the behemoth that is Thief II: The Metal Age.
It's the standard by which every other game in the genre is judged against.

Super Mario Bros 3
Suoer Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Bubble Bobble (Sega Master System)
Landstalker
Deus Ex (original)
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Red Dead Redemption (1)
The Secret of Monkey Island 1+2
Day of the Tentacle
Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis
Sam & Max Hit the Road

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Anything that still remains enjoyable and fun, no matter what. As well as influential then, and now. No matter how old it is, you can play it and totally understand how and why it made an impact.

Tetris
DOOM 1/2
Mario 3
Super Mario World
Mario 64
Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat
I could go on and on. :)

For me a perfect game has to have 16 Bit graphics because everything else will be outdated sooner or later. I had more fun with Celeste than with any other game in the past 10 years, so that would be one of my picks. Currently playing Sea of Stars and Stardew Valley as well, they are also great games so far.

Zannegan

For single-player/offline games:
Tetris
Puzzlequest
Chrono Trigger
Mario Bros 3
Aria of Sorrow
Hollow Knight
Dead Cells
Pokemon: Firered/Leafgreen
Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
DMC 3
Steamworld Dig
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (non-Dice)
Halo (solo/coop campaign)
Metroid Prime
It Takes Two
Psychonauts
Zero Escape: 999 (especially on original hardware)
Arkham Asylum
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (I know, I know)

Probably more.

Turns out there are quite a few games (IMO) that could use a graphical update, content expansion, or improved netcode, but the core gameplay loop remains as satisfying as ever.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
eh. ive been playing games since the atari days and there is no such thing as a timeless perfect game. Games are not movies. They have actual interactive elements that can always be improved. The older games like MGS had a lot of graphics issues that completely took my out of the experience. I mean snake didnt even have a face. Coming from 2d and 3d fighting games, it was very jarring. hell, tomb raider had blocky faces and they looked better.

Even MGS3 and Half Life 2 which are two of my favorite games of all time have a lot of issues that keep those games from being perfect let alone timeless. timeless to me is something you can watch 50 years from now and it still holds up. Godfather Part 1 and 2 are timeless. Mozart's requiem is timeless. Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is timeless. video games can and will always improve.

most recently, I played TLOU remake on PC. That was my game of the gen last gen. Now with TLOU2 graphics fidelity and some minor gameplay enhancements it shouldve been my game of the gen for PS4 but nope, it didnt even come close to beating TLOU2 because the gameplay was leagues ahead. The graphics and levels were better and bigger too. only the story still holds up.

I go back and play my favorites all the time. RDR2, Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, SoTC and i enjoy them. But they are not perfect and it annoys me that they lack certain features ive come to expect this gen. i never had those experiences watching movies even action packed ones like star wars in the 70s and indiana jones and back to the future in the 80s.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Link to the Past - Art and story are still wonderful and beautiful to this day.

SMB3 - Looks great and plays great. Full of lots of different worlds and wonderful levels.

Halo 1 HL2 - the Quintessential shooters. Just fun and engaging.

Drizzlehell

Banned
For me a perfect game has to have 16 Bit graphics because everything else will be outdated sooner or later. I had more fun with Celeste than with any other game in the past 10 years, so that would be one of my picks. Currently playing Sea of Stars and Stardew Valley as well, they are also great games so far.
What about 3D games with stylised graphics that don't necessarily go for realism, like cel-shading for example?

Top Bottom