• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Fans Aren't Happy With Bloober's New Remake Trailer

SeraphJan

Medium had pretty good first half of the game, but the later part and ending are terribly executed, I do think the team had potential to do great

Regardless, as a fan of the original game, I am grateful the remake is even being made

Last edited:
cb2a8374-dc4f-42c3-8f59-5a9c84c84a9d_text.gif

Bloober's goal just needs to be to make a good game. They will never live up to the bar of perfection that exists in SH2 fans' minds no matter what they do.

Killer8

The game was always going to be going down the over-the-shoulder route. That's practically an industry standard at this point and they were not going to use the pseudo-fixed camera of the original. So it seems a bit silly to complain about that.

The problem is that the quality of some of what's on display isn't that great. I don't think the character animation is bad per se, but there is just no weight to the guns. For a trailer which is predominantly about shooting things, it's poor. The really weak SFX only makes it worse. I'm not expecting something like Gears of War levels of intensity here but gunplay does need some more punch to it.

I thought the melee combat actually looked pretty good and reminiscent of Silent Hill: Homecoming, and no one really complains about the combat in that game (it was everything else). I don't understand the aversion to QTEs in general, but that is a whole other argument for another topic. QTEs, when used correctly, can add to the intensity of what is happening on screen. They were just over-used in the 2000s and now gamers have this weird aversion to even seeing a button prompt on screen. It's a bit retarded to write them off completely as many of the greats, like the original God of Wars and Resident Evil 4, put them to fantastic use.

The other thing about comparisons to RE2 Remake is that it's not even the game this remake should be drawing its inspiration from. The Last of Us' combat would be far more appropriate as a benchmark to try and reach:

Lastly I think it was generally a mistake of Konami to even make a trailer showcasing combat. No one is really playing SH for that and they should've known their audience better. Shining a spotlight on what has traditionally always been the weakest (but functional) element of the series is stupid.

sachos

I think this is a case were we have to wait and find out because a trailer cut in that way can make your game look way more action oriented than it really is.
I understand people say combat was the weak point of the SH series but i feel that one of the best parts about Remakes is fixing what was originally kinda broken or bad, im not saying turning SH2 into RE4 but i think the devs have the right to actually make what little combat there is feel good and responsive, the problem is the combat in the trailer still looked kinda janky.
I also dont like the way the model looks, animations look kinda stiff and that hair looks weirdly glowing.

Erebus

It seems most of you have already passed judgment on the game based on a mere 1:30-minute trailer. If this isn't an exaggeration, I don't know what is. While I understand that Bloober doesn't have the best track record, I would rather reserve my judgment and wait to see the full picture before declaring it a failure.

It's important for us to temper our expectations. The Silent Hill franchise has never been a huge commercial success in terms of sales. Therefore, I find it perplexing that some anticipated Konami (of all publishers) to entrust it to a more skilled and costly development studio. Additionally, it's worth noting that the original Silent Hill 2 didn't receive outstanding reviews at the time of its release; it wasn't until much later that it attained cult classic status.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It doesn’t matter if the trailer was meant to be combat focused. The point here is that whoever put this together thought that it was the best they have to show. A bit worrisome to say the least…

leizzra

As far as I know, game won't be combat focused more then the original was. It probably will be a bit more intense because of camera and aiming, but what I gathered, this is not the focus. Probably Konami thought that this type of trailer will sell better to players. We know by now that Konami don't give a f for the IP's that they have.

demigod

Bloober games typically get a Metacrtic score around the low-70s for all their horror games going back to last gen. So dont expect miracles unless SH Remake got a big Bloober budget boost.
It’s Bloober team, anyone who cheered for them to remake this is a fucking idiot. Some of us said that it was a huge mistake for Konami to let them make it. They are a mediocre AA dev and it shows. I will eat crow if their meta is above a 90.

Lower your expectations folks.

OuterLimits

Rabid Silent Hill fans rank up there with the crazy Souls fans. There was hate cocked and loaded as soon as Bloober was named to this project straight away and nothing will ever change that. It's not even close to as bad as what a lot are saying. Yes, it could still use some work, but come on.

Not a huge SH fan, but Konami has pretty much earned the skepticism that many have over the last 15 years. Giving SH2( a fan favorite of series) to Bloober certainly didn't change the pessimism.

Hopefully though we are all very pleasantly surprised when it releases.

mcjmetroid

People are probably comparing it to RE4R gameplay.. Which is unfair, since this is probably a lower budget game being made by a studio that has little experience on combat gameplay.

Anyway, I disliked the last two blobber games so I had low expectations, after the trailer I am mildly interested.

It looks bad, but not as bad as I expected.
That's not an excuse. Were not taking about an indie attempt at a game inspired by silent hill which is why people weren't so harsh on THE MEDIUM.

End of the day this is probably going to sell for the same price as the resident evil 4 remake, silent hill 2 at one point was as game a big or bigger than resident evil 4 and Konami as a company are as big as capcom so no I don't buy it.

I don't blame bloober. They're doing their best but again it's konami's fault. Their lack of proper game development for years is finally catching up on them.

They should have thrown everything at this.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
From what I've seen in the latest trailer, I think the game needs at least 1 more year of polish when it comes to combat, how it looks and feels.

Erebus

That's not an excuse. Were not taking about an indie attempt at a game inspired by silent hill which is why people weren't so harsh on THE MEDIUM.

End of the day this is probably going to sell for the same price as the resident evil 4 remake, silent hill 2 at one point was a game as big or bigger than resident evil 4 and Konami are as a company as Capcom so no I don't buy it.

I don't blame bloober. They're doing their best but again it's konami's fault. Their lack of proper game developer for years is truly finally catching up on them. They literally are lost.

They should have thrown everything at this.
That was really never the case. Ever.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
That was really never the case. Ever.
As much as I love the series (the first four, that is — my top franchise of all time), Silent Hill 2 was never as big as people think it was. Despite that, the expectations were never going to be met either. People can claim all they want "but other remakes don't get this kind of whining". Utter, and complete, bullshit. I'm old school and remember what the online world was in 2002 when RE: Remake was the talk of the town. "Remaking it already"? "They're gonna fuck it up". Yes, the chatrooms at the time still had people griping. In the 20teens and early 20twenties, RE2 Remake, 3 Remake, Last Of US Remake, FFVII Remake, and plenty more saw pre-release whining and complaining. Despite that, the final product(s) were good-to-great!

Just accept that you will never get exactly what you want. Accept that Team Silent is no longer at the helm. Otherwise, you can skip it like anything else in life that you don't favor and stop trying to put enormous pressure on it. It was never bigger than RE4 and Bloober shouldn't even attempt that. Hopefully, though, they take at least some of the criticisms (legit criticisms, not crybabies) to note and adjust where appropriate.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I think his face is okay, it the hair
And for some reason in this trailer he used

They need to tone it down so it looks brown with a hint of blonde, like a Dark Ash Blonde
I think they got the tone right. In some scenes his hair appears lighter only due to the lighting.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As much as I love the series (the first four, that is — my top franchise of all time), Silent Hill 2 was never as big as people think it was. Despite that, the expectations were never going to be met either. People can claim all they want "but other remakes don't get this kind of whining". Utter, and complete, bullshit. I'm old school and remember what the online world was in 2002 when RE: Remake was the talk of the town. "Remaking it already"? "They're gonna fuck it up". Yes, the chatrooms at the time still had people griping. In the 20teens and early 20twenties, RE2 Remake, 3 Remake, Last Of US Remake, FFVII Remake, and plenty more saw pre-release whining and complaining. Despite that, the final product(s) were good-to-great!

Just accept that you will never get exactly what you want. Accept that Team Silent is no longer at the helm. Otherwise, you can skip it like anything else in life that you don't favor and stop trying to put enormous pressure on it. It was never bigger than RE4 and Bloober shouldn't even attempt that. Hopefully, though, they take at least some of the criticisms (legit criticisms, not crybabies) to note and adjust where appropriate.
Thank god I only had magazines back then. Holy shot was I STOCKED for the REmake.

That being said, you’re right with the rest. People are complaining about nothing. The game will prolly not have much more combat than the original. Bloober team is not stupid. They know they have their hands on a classic. They won’t dare to change it too much.

Matsuchezz

No, I want a remaster of the remake first
A remaster like the Tomb Raider one, or a Full Remake, The reality and sad part of this is that Silent hill games were never million sellers. And a big budget for a game that has never sold that well is kind of a bad bet. I hope the new movie bring the franchise to more people and that can push a new full game with a bigger budget.
Edit: Hehehe i just got what you meant. A remaster of this unreleased remake.

Sony should send some of their Support Devs to help on the remake to polish it.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

This looks like to be an old build, the music composer said that the trailer have lowered the sound of the weapons for the music to be louder, and that it's not their fault, so the trailer was made by konami marketing department for sure. Then Dusk Golem said that he saw the same trailer in may 2023...so this can't be a recent build.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Were people expecting it not to have combat?!
SH2 had a ton of combat and it was always beyond terrible. I always found that game barely playable because of how clunky it was.
So it's good bloober is modernizing the controls like RE. This is one thing I can't fault them for doing.

Last edited:
This trailer actually made me not want to buy the game now. Not only does it look really bad graphically (except for maybe a couple of shots), but the enemy movements and James' movements look really bad.

Are they trying to keep the animations close to the original or are they trying to make a modern game because it seems like they're failing on both.

DosGamer

Love the idea, but the game looks really rough. Just not digging the graphics at all, and this game has an atmosphere that actually seems to benefit the devs. as its dull dreary and foggy.

Kssio_Aug

The game is looking ugly and outdated, and I believe the very dark settings (which are fine for SH2, of course) are still helping to hide a lot of issues.

Maybe that's an old version of the game and it will look much better later. And to be fair, as long as it ends up fun to play, and modernized in terms of controls and movement fluidity, it's gonna be great. I never cared that much about graphics, if a game has good art direction.

But I wished the gameplay didn't look so much like Resident Evil.

Anyway, this trailer was quite embarrassing, but I still have hope.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Then fix your typo instead of getting condescending.
How about you understand the whole point of the whole post instead of nitpicking a random sentence from it?

Let me help you there, the point of my post was:

More effort should be put into the remake because Konami is a big company and this game deserves the same care as Resident Evil 4: remake but Konami probably doesn't have the resources anymore due to the lack of active gaming development over the years.

What you took from it:
Wait a minute Silent Hill 2 was never as big as Resident Evil 4

You probably even agree with me but you're one of those posters..

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
giphy.gif

Looks pretty much as you'd expect, I don't get the problem.
btw, that 4k trailer is only 100mb
That's pretty small for 4k even for YouTube standards, I was expecting at least 270mb

Erebus

How about you understand the whole point of the whole post instead of nitpicking a random sentence from it?

Let me help you there, the point of my post was:

More effort should be put into the remake because Konami is a big company and this game deserves the same care as Resident Evil 4: remake but Konami probably doesn't have the resources anymore due to the lack of active gaming development over the years.

What you took from it:
Wait a minute Silent Hill 2 was never as big as Resident Evil 4

You probably even agree with me but you're one of those posters..
Dude I don't know what you're talking about. I just pointed out that Silent Hill 2 was at no point in history as big as RE4, I inferred from your post that you believe it was, simply as that. Konami has been in shambles for quite some years now indeed, I agree with that.

Alan Wake

So... I'm not convinced, let's put it that way.
Medium had pretty good first half of the game, but the later part and ending are terribly executed, I do think the team had potential to do great

Regardless, as a fan of the original game, I am grateful the remake is even being made

The ending was one of the few things I actually liked about the game. The atmosphere was fine too, but all the rest very mediocre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom