• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill - The Short Message | State of Play Trailer

I cant get past the maze
with very short turns with the cherry blossom lady right behind me with one hit kills then i wake up in that school hallway and anita screams something
any tips?

KillaJamm

I saw the trailer today and I love Silent Hill and am cautiously optimistic. Launching the game I’m met with a screen with a page worth of text along with links and numbers to the suicide hotline.

I have no political leanings but trigger warnings are bullshit. I’ve been through real hard stuff but have seen depictions of characters going through similar elements in media.

Each time, I might have been mildly disturbed but I learned something from their stories and different experiences.

I hate this new wave where all of the hall monitors of society have been given the reign because they think they know better.

You can argue all day if video games are art or not but that doesn’t matter. In today’s time, everything is art, like it or not.

Every piece of media tells a story. Why are we putting warnings before certain content? To remove those who might best benefit from a cathartic experience?

Fuck this.
I think maybe they are just covering their bases, so if anyone commits suicide around the time they played it and a family member was like 'THIS GAME KILLED MY SON' or whatever. I do agree though it was overkill, no pun intended. They pop up between each main gameplay segment as well.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Got tired of running from the Cherry Blossom lady- me running in circles.
Will finish it today. Maybe..,.,
Yeah it's annoying and not scary even 1 second... That's not horribly bad but quite soporific and there's nothing from Silent Hill into this game. I'm at chapter 3 and pff just another whining teenage angst game...

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
For a freebie surprise, that was really good. Dark subject matter and positive message at the end that didn't feel like a cop out.

The chase sequences seriously got my old ticker pumping.

Now to go back and actually read this thread to see why I'm wrong.

Flabagast

I cant get past the maze
with very short turns with the cherry blossom lady right behind me with one hit kills then i wake up in that school hallway and anita screams something
any tips?
You need to go where the monster appears, by turning back to aggro him and turning the corridor to get back to where you came from

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The performance is kinda shit even with VRR. Lots of juddering in these tiny-ass tight corridors.

Anyone know what engine this is? Unreal 4/5 ?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
For a freebie surprise, that was really good. Dark subject matter and positive message at the end that didn't feel like a cop out.

The chase sequences seriously got my old ticker pumping.

Now to go back and actually read this thread to see why I'm wrong.

I quite enjoyed it myself. I was a bit worried it would go into the "teenage life is so hard! Oh woe is me!" as that is how much of the early leaks and trailer made it appear. Glad to know that wasn't really the case.

Spoilers:
Anita was a villain. She pushed Maya to kill herself. Her jealousy, rage, over meaningless internet likes and how she viewed herself and her art compared to someone who she thought was better felt real. I see this done by children today and their melodramatic view that suicide is the only way out because they are ignorant of the world and absorb themselves in online interactions is spot on.

Seeing her being forced to live and suffer for her actions, as she will never forget what she has done, I feel is a better ending than having her jump. Her family background was a bit heavy handed, but I did like how it helped to paint the picture of why she did what she did, even if it was repugnant. Though I have to say, I don't see the supposed lesbian romance. Anita doesn't feel like she is in love with Amelie, but that she holds Amelie close as she is the only person around who seems to actually care for her. Her brother is dead, her father left, her mother is in prison. She is all alone. Maya also mentioned, IIRC, a man she was in love with who had left her? Unless I mixed that up with Amelie.

I would say its a solid 7/10 title. Its short, lacks replay value outside of experiencing it again, but had enough of that Silent Hill DNA to make me enjoy it. I will say I even enjoyed it more than Shattered Memories, but slightly less than Downpour. Still nowhere near as good as the original 4, but it was a nice surprise. I would buy this game if it were available physically.

bender

What time is it?
Finished it. Seems like they tried to expand on P.T. but I didn't care for it much. The characters and theming just aren't my cup of tea. The chase sequences are also annoying as it feels like there is a lot of trial and error involved and after you've been caught a few times, the horror from the monster is gone. It did one cool thing though:

When you have the flashback to your childhood apartment it changes your character height to that of a child. Neat little touch

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some pictures from my console.

The performance is poor, very surprising considering you're walking in literal corridors. This must have been developed on a shoestring budget.

i97ioxA.jpeg

0E3JOL3.jpeg

6Y7TfLM.png

tTuzQ7G.jpeg

keefged4

I love Silent Hill. I firmly have rose tinted glasses on and will even defend Homecoming and Downpour, but this is shite. It's too blatent with the cringy teenage pish and is completely missing the nuance and subtlety of the older Silent Hills.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

This will never gain the cult status of PT. PT by itself created a genre and ultimately influenced RE7.

It’s worthless on your SSD.

Maybe people want it for preservation. Or maybe play it again if they like it. Not everything needs to have cult status and be valuable to justify its existence.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This will never gain the cult status of PT. PT by itself created a genre and ultimately influenced RE7.

PT wasn't all that either. It was a one-time novelty promotional item.

Konami withdrawing it from distribution MADE IT MORE FAMOUS than it ever warranted in its own right.

tommib

PT wasn't all that either. It was a one-time novelty promotional item.

Konami withdrawing it from distribution MADE IT MORE FAMOUS than it ever warranted in its own right.
Absolutely wrong. Everyone was talking about what this was and why it looked so good bordering on photo-realistic and why it was so scary. It entered the discourse automatically:

Including best of lists:

All of this before being delisted. There’s no need to rewrite history.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Absolutely wrong. Everyone was talking about what this was and why it looked so good bordering on photo-realistic and why it was so scary. It entered the discourse automatically:

Including best of lists:

All of this before being delisted. There’s no need to rewrite history.

Bullshit. It was a novelty. What was so amazing about it?

I liked it fine, but it was a deliberately low-tech once-and-done experience!

StueyDuck

Bullshit. It was a novelty. What was so amazing about it?

I liked it fine, but it was a deliberately low-tech once-and-done experience!
You are waaaaay off...

If anything the fact that it was a secret silent Hill being helmed by Kojima with help from GDT and starring the at the time hugely massive TV show the walking dead actor, Norman Reedus that launched it into popularity.

It being delisted has nothing to do with why it was popular.

And it wasn't a "deliberately low tech once and done" experience. It was deliberately made to look as if it wasn't made in the fox engine and by Kojima and it was absolutely a "playable teaser" for the future silent hills project that Kojima was working on.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Sooo I finally finished the demo... and I'm torn. I like the general aesthetic, having glitches signal silent Hill instead of sirens is an interesting touch (although painfully telegraphic by the end)

The story, while I see what they were going for, wasn't very good. Like some lesbo love triangle gone wrong is kind of dumb.

But the whole abusive past and irredeemable main character is straight up silent Hill style, so again I'm mixed.

I was also mixed on the actual design of silent Hill itself. But by the last change things pretty much look exactly how you expect from a world transition to silent Hill... also fuck that last chase sequence, very poorly done.

I think it could of done with some puzzle light elements and much like PT needed to use its environment to a greater degree, I kept peering through broken windows and looking everywhere hoping for a sneaky scare or something unsettling but there isn't anything like that going on... if you are going to go first person you need to play with the perspective.

Finally FMV in silent hill to me just doesn't really work and was a poor way to deliver the story.

All in all a 5/10 experience, but there is much there that could be worked on. It's something that if fleshed out and tightened up by the right people could be a 7 or 8/10

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You are waaaaay off...

If anything the fact that it was a secret silent Hill being helmed by Kojima with help from GDT and starring the at the time hugely massive TV show the walking dead actor, Norman Reedus that launched it into popularity.

It being delisted has nothing to do with why it was popular.

I was playing it day#1, and like most people I ended up watching the actual SH part (the reveal trailer reward showing Reedus' and Del Toro's involvement) on YT, because as usual the internet always wins when it comes to figuring out obtuse puzzles!

There's a reason why I still have it to this day on my old PS4 Pro (backed up from my original PS4) but have never had the urge to replay it in all these years.

And it wasn't a "deliberately low tech once and done" experience. It was deliberately made to look as if it wasn't made in the fox engine and by Kojima and it was absolutely a "playable teaser" for the future silent hills project that Kojima was working on.

So it wasn't low-tech, it was just made to LOOK low-tech! Wow... you sure showed me with that come-back!

Honestly it makes me sad when people can't differentiate between genius marketing and actual content.

It was mainly memorable for people because it was this shadow-dropped "event" that we all collectively got sucked into. But the fact remains that in itself its little more than a series of spooky gags connected by a looping corridor. What's more as an actual SH artifact, its only connection really is the mark of Samael icon when it loads data.

StueyDuck

I was playing it day#1, and like most people I ended up watching the actual SH part (the reveal trailer reward showing Reedus' and Del Toro's involvement) on YT, because as usual the internet always wins when it comes to figuring out obtuse puzzles!

There's a reason why I still have it to this day on my old PS4 Pro (backed up from my original PS4) but have never had the urge to replay it in all these years.

So it wasn't low-tech, it was just made to LOOK low-tech! Wow... you sure showed me with that come-back!

Honestly it makes me sad when people can't differentiate between genius marketing and actual content.

It was mainly memorable for people because it was this shadow-dropped "event" that we all collectively got sucked into. But the fact remains that in itself its little more than a series of spooky gags connected by a looping corridor. What's more as an actual SH artifact, its only connection really is the mark of Samael icon when it loads data.
For someone who played it day1 and is the coolest cat in town you sure are getting many of your facts wrong 🤣.

Mate believe what you want, but understand that you are entirely factually wrong on all accounts here tommib tommib already provided receipts that the game was popular before it was delisted. You keeping it on your ps4 doesn't now retroactively change historic events, unless you have some magic remedy-verse OOP

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For someone who played it day1 and is the coolest cat in town you sure are getting many of your facts wrong 🤣.

Mate believe what you want, but understand that you are entirely factually wrong on all accounts here tommib tommib already provided receipts that the game was popular before it was delisted. You keeping it on your ps4 doesn't now retroactively change historic events, unless you have some magic remedy-verse OOP

What? I never said it was unpopular, just that Konami pulling it gave it a level of fame that was undeserved in my opinion.

So no, I didn't get my "facts" wrong. In fact I explained its virality in my previous points.

All I've said is that in my opinion it simply isn't particularly interesting or special as a piece of content in and of itself. Hardly surprising or controversial given that it was a promotional giveaway.

The mythologizing of it beyond that, is where its removal from distribution aspect really kicks in. And why I find myself in the ludicrous position of arguing with stans for a PROMOTIONAL TEASER 10 years after it was shadow-dropped! :D

I'm a long-time fan of both SH and Kojima anyway, so excuse me for not thinking P.T isn't a high-water mark for either franchise/oeuvre :D

StueyDuck

What? I never said it was unpopular, just that Konami pulling it gave it a level of fame that was undeserved in my opinion.

So no, I didn't get my "facts" wrong. In fact I explained its virality in my previous points.

All I've said is that in my opinion it simply isn't particularly interesting or special as a piece of content in and of itself. Hardly surprising or controversial given that it was a promotional giveaway.

The mythologizing of it beyond that, is where its removal from distribution aspect really kicks in. And why I find myself in the ludicrous position of arguing with stans for a PROMOTIONAL TEASER 10 years after it was shadow-dropped! :D

I'm a long-time fan of both SH and Kojima anyway, so excuse me for not thinking P.T isn't a high-water mark for either franchise/oeuvre :D
Sounds to me your a fan of neither with how much you get incorrect

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I quite enjoyed it myself. I was a bit worried it would go into the "teenage life is so hard! Oh woe is me!" as that is how much of the early leaks and trailer made it appear. Glad to know that wasn't really the case.

I would say its a solid 7/10 title. Its short, lacks replay value outside of experiencing it again, but had enough of that Silent Hill DNA to make me enjoy it. I will say I even enjoyed it more than Shattered Memories, but slightly less than Downpour. Still nowhere near as good as the original 4, but it was a nice surprise. I would buy this game if it were available physically.
Thanks for writing my thoughts out so I didn't have to lol

I didn't realize people were shipping some of the characters. I didn't get that at all from what was presented.

SenkiDala

What genre did it create ? Outlast was already a lot like this and it released 1 year before, Amnesia games too long time before too...

As I said many times to me Kojima is the greatest talent in the VG industries since its existence, so nobody can say I don't like him. But P.T. even though it was a great experience, wasn't at all revolutionary...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
For what is was I thought is was very good.
Not brilliant and not good enough as a full game but good for what it is.
A few things I would change though.
First thing first.
Get rid of that first person view, PT used it in a teaser to hide itself and wasn't going to be first person anyway, in fact that wasn't even in the game and it's been done to death now so you just look like a follower not a leader.
More puzzles and give her a melee weapon or something and have some enemies.
More environment changes, I understand it's in a building but it looks like we was mostly on one floor.
What about more floors and the basement
but this is Silent Hill game, why didn't they let us explore the school more.
And we don't need the suicide messages every chapter.
At the beginning is enough.
Speaking of suicide, they should've had the teenage that jumped appear in the game luring Anita to the roof.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I played it last night and it felt like the longest two hours of my life. I was completely bored and disinterested the entire time. As a 55 year old curmudgeon who thinks too many millennials and zoomers are fragile little glass unicorns who suffer from not being allowed to play outside until the street lights came on, maybe I wasn't the target audience. But hey, at least it was free!

Turned it off and deleted it as soon as i saw the live action shit.....so tired of this unoriginal and old ass trend coming back. Fuck off with this crap
So it's like Alan Wake/Control again?

For those who are talking about the trigger warnings and suicide hotline, anyone remember those old "don't do drugs" ads on arcade games in the 80s?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So it's like Alan Wake/Control again?

For those who are talking about the trigger warnings and suicide hotline, anyone remember those old "don't do drugs" ads on arcade games in the 80s?

I didnt play Alan Woke 2, so idk.....there is just a point in this demo where you go into a room and there is a little flashback scene and its a FMV video of a character. It's personal preference i know, but i just stand this recent trend again of having FMV/live video snippets in games. IMO, it screams laziness and takes me totally out of the experience. If i wanted to see real life people, i wouldn't be gaming.

SJRB

Gold Member
The teenage angst is just the absolute worst. Who's the target audience for this?

High school, bullying, losing followers is exactly what I think of when I think of Silent Hill.

What the fuck were they thinking?

RagnarokIV

The teenage angst is just the absolute worst. Who's the target audience for this?

High school, bullying, losing followers is exactly what I think of when I think of Silent Hill.

What the fuck were they thinking?
It’s enjoyable as a comedy, reminds me of The Room in some ways.

Especially when she’s getting depressed because she lost another follower and there’s the voice going “POST SEXY PICS” hahaha

It’s enjoyable as a comedy, reminds me of The Room in some ways.

Especially when she’s getting depressed because she lost another follower and there’s the voice going “POST SEXY PICS” hahaha
I didn't know other people played The Room as a comedy. My buddy and I in college had a blast at how ambiguously serious the game was, and all our silly jokes made it even better.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I didn't know other people played The Room as a comedy. My buddy and I in college had a blast at how ambiguously serious the game was, and all our silly jokes made it even better.
Are you talking about the game The Room, with all the puzzle boxes? I think that guy was talking about the movie The Room.

Top Bottom